PDA

View Full Version : Happy 100th Anniversary RAF

gr4techie
31st Mar 2018, 23:01
Cheers everyone. Glad the RAF is still here.
I raise my glass to everything we've accomplished and fallen comrades .

WE Branch Fanatic
31st Mar 2018, 23:03
Congratulations and Bravo Zulu for a century of service, including the tail end of the First World War, the conflicts of the Inter War years, preparing for another European war, six long years of the Second World War, and then various post VJ Day conflicts and commitments including Malaya, Suez, Aden, Oman, Northern Ireland, the Falklands, Kuwait, the Gulf from 1990 onwards, Bosnia, Kosovo, Sierra Leone, Iraq, Afghanistan, and the non war commitments during the long vigil of the Cold War.

Also humanitarian and life saving operations all over the World.

I wonder if any of those founding airmen could imagine that 100 years to the day later, RAF aircraft and personnel would be involved in live operations?

air pig
31st Mar 2018, 23:04
Cheers everyone. Glad the RAF is still here.
I raise my glass to everything we've accomplished and fallen comrades .

Totally agree with you, and the many unsung hero's of the Service.

eckhard
31st Mar 2018, 23:33
Hear, hear!

Training Risky
1st Apr 2018, 00:54
Still awake after a good (unrelated) party. Happy birthday to my Service! Let's have another 100 yrs!

Roadster280
1st Apr 2018, 00:54
Congratulations!

The best posting of my (Army) career was on an RAF station!

It was an honour to live in a block named for F/Sgt Middleton VC.

Here’s to another 100 years.

Per Ardua Ad Astra.

thunderbird7
1st Apr 2018, 01:38
Proud to have served

Thaihawk
1st Apr 2018, 03:46
Here's to the next 100 years!.

Chreers!!!

ImageGear
1st Apr 2018, 07:19
Congratulations are well in order, but I am not sure that the "one way" only, V-Bomber nuclear crews would agree with your... non war commitments during the long vigil of the Cold War. not to mention other sausage side incursions over heavily defended territory.

IG

radar101
1st Apr 2018, 07:20
My maternal Grandfather:

Royal Air Force
Muster Roll

1 April 1918

Air Force No. Name Trade Date Joining Pay Terms of Enlistment

155220 Bridger. C. Boy 8/10/17 1 0 D.W.

treadigraph
1st Apr 2018, 07:27
Happy birthday RAF and thank you to all who have served and continue to do so.

Paternal Grandad (who I never knew) was certainly in the RFC and presumably in the RAF in 1918. Must try and find out more...

Cazalet33
1st Apr 2018, 07:53
The ultimate April Fool on the RFC.

Because they deserved it.

RetiredBA/BY
1st Apr 2018, 07:57
".....and heartiest congratulations to ALL involved in last night’s celebration at the Royal Albert Hall. A truly wonderful evening celebrating all that is , and was, the very best of the Royal Air Force.

Fareastdriver
1st Apr 2018, 08:02
Why do they have to have a 100th birthday in the middle of the Easter Grant.:E:E:ok::ok:

GLIDER 90
1st Apr 2018, 08:45
Happy 100th Royal Air Force.

ian16th
1st Apr 2018, 08:46
Happy 100th birthday Royal Air Force and all who have served and continue to do so.

RetiredBA/BY
1st Apr 2018, 08:53
Congratulations are well in order, but I am not sure that the "one way" only, V-Bomber nuclear crews would agree with your... not to mention other sausage side incursions over heavily defended territory.

IG

Well, yes, BUT, we never actually fired a single shot, or dropped a single bomb, nor had anyone actually trying to kill us.

And after being in Hiroshima and Nagasaki last week thank god it never went hot.

(Valiant pilot with Yellow Sun plus US weapons when assigned to to SACEUR )

oldbeefer
1st Apr 2018, 08:53
50 Years to the day since I joined!

Basil
1st Apr 2018, 09:11
Happy Hundredth!
Best employment decision I ever made.
(Second best was leaving asap thereafter :E)

Thank you, Roadster280 (Class car BTW)

Barksdale Boy
1st Apr 2018, 09:28
Fifty years to the day since I joined my first squadron. A few of us are meeting to drink champagne in Hong Kong this evening.

goudie
1st Apr 2018, 09:40
Best wishes to all who still serve in the RAF. Enjoyed my 20 yrs...mostly. Stood me in good stead when I left.

Tankertrashnav
1st Apr 2018, 10:00
I remember celebrating the 50th when I was at Kai Tak - where did that 50 years go? :(

Happy 100th RAF :ok:

(PS - Did the Queen send a telegram?)

Dan Gerous
1st Apr 2018, 10:21
Best years of my life. Happy Birthday to all who have been and those who currently are.

RedhillPhil
1st Apr 2018, 10:50
Thankyou R.A.F. Following Pa's enrolment this then sprog got to see lots of interesting places - and have his education ruined.

radar101
1st Apr 2018, 11:05
Paternal Grandad (who I never knew) was certainly in the RFC and presumably in the RAF in 1918. Must try and find out more...

Several online family history sites boast of having a First Muster database - but charge for it.

I was lucky - about 10 years ago at the AHB doing some squadron research I found this innocuous document, lacking its covers, on a shelf. Found Grandad's details as I knew his service number. Had my camera with me ...

cngaero
1st Apr 2018, 11:38
Happy Birthday to everyone who is either serving or who has served in the Royal Air Force.

Having never served personally, I do though, have a tremendous respect for everyone who has.

Thank you to all those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice to keep our nation free and to all who currently strive to do so.

R-Respected
A-Admired
F-Finest

Happy 100th from a proud tax payer.

Treble one
1st Apr 2018, 11:43
You'd think Trenchard and the politicians would have had the foresight not to have the 100th anniversary fall on Easter Sunday though???

Congratulations to the Royal Air Force, and to everyone who has served, and is serving, thank you.

I presume there will be no Tower Bridge style event to mark the centenary?

HMtheQueen
1st Apr 2018, 12:06
My hearty congratulations on reaching ones hundredth anniversary, Philip and I will be raising a glass this evening to your achievements, to those that have served, are serving, and will serve, past, present and future. We as a Nation are in your debt.

Thank you to Mr Baston for correcting ones grammer, ones MBE is in the bin.

The Oberon
1st Apr 2018, 13:03
Happy 100th from the ex-100th Locking.

langleybaston
1st Apr 2018, 13:05
She needs a new script writer!

try for starters: those that have served, are serving, and will serve, past, present and future. We as a Nation are in your debt.

langleybaston
1st Apr 2018, 13:17
As your attached Metman, from Uxbridge to Nicosia to Leeming to Gutersloh to Finningley to JHQ to Bawtry etc etc .......
..................it is the sights, smells and laughter that help me celebrate my 41 years of association with the best Air Force and the best bunch of lads and lasses.

[Smells? ..... aircrew feeders and baked beans, aviation fuel at start-up, duplicating fluid, Oktoberfest, the damp RAF police dog that nearly mistook it for a sausage ...............]

Here's to the next 100.

WilliumMate
1st Apr 2018, 13:23
Happy 100th.

Looked after me very well in RAF Hospital Ely when I was somewhat battered during a rugby game in Cambridge. Sent me by car to RN Hospital Haslar a week later with an apology note.

:ok:

NutLoose
1st Apr 2018, 13:42
Happy Birthday and thanks everyone for keeping this world a safer place through thick and thin. Roll on the 200th that sadly I doubt i will see.

Melchett01
1st Apr 2018, 15:22
We seem to be doing ok despite my efforts over the last 19 years. Here’s to the next 100 years of hotels and bars!

Basil
1st Apr 2018, 15:47
We seem to be doing ok despite my efforts over the last 19 years. Here’s to the next 100 years of hotels and bars!
Recollect telling Army friend about RAF training; yomping up Pen-y-Fan with some heavy kit.
AF: "That's a strange place to go looking for an hotel!" Boom boom! :rolleyes:

unclenelli
1st Apr 2018, 16:45
2018 is:
RAF = 100 on 1st April
Me = 25 (Very first intake at Halton on 9 Nov!)
Happy Birthday everyone!

Well Done to the HUUUUGGGE Flag at the top of Harmston Hill today!

And top TV (albeit mostly repeats on BBC4/More4), but still excellent viewing!

radar101
1st Apr 2018, 16:55
just found it:

Vault - RAF Museum Storyvault (http://www.rafmuseumstoryvault.org.uk/pages/raf_vault.php)?

Can search Muster Roll, 1918 Air Force list etc!!

Enjoy

Alber Ratman
1st Apr 2018, 17:24
Happy birthday to the Air Force. To think that one quarter of its existance I was a member of it fills me with pride. To those that served, are serving and to those that paid the ultimate sacrifice and those that suffered the pain afterwards, I raise a glass for you all tonight!

Kiltrash
1st Apr 2018, 17:41
Hearty congratulations to all who served, are serving and to serve

Only did 5 years till invalided out to civvy but the training I got served in good stead

Will be raising a glass tonight

OffshoreSLF
1st Apr 2018, 17:42
Happy Birthday to everyone who is either serving or who has served in the Royal Air Force.

Having never served personally, I do though, have a tremendous respect for everyone who has.

Thank you to all those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice to keep our nation free and to all who currently strive to do so.

R-Respected
A-Admired
F-Finest

Happy 100th from a proud tax payer.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

From someone who, as a very small boy, dreamed of one day being a pilot.
However, I was born with defective eyesight, so flying and many other careers were, sadly, never going to be available to me.

Happy 100th from another proud tax payer

MightyGem
1st Apr 2018, 20:02
As an ex Sapper, I feel very humble to have been a member of the Corps that started all this flying malarky. :ok:

Shack37
1st Apr 2018, 20:45
Happy 100th RAF and thanks for a great Boy to Man transition 1960 to 1971.
Education and experience combined.
Glass or two already raised and downed.

Basil
1st Apr 2018, 21:10
Happy 100th from another proud tax payer
Thank you so much for that.

p.s.
I was born with defective eyesight
S1 was rejected for UAS for that reason - rather rudely by VSO doc who suggested he was an idiot for even applying.
I explained to S1 that, if the VSO had been a pilot, he'd have said "Nice try, son, really sorry about this . . .etc."
Anyway, he did VERY successfully in another employment.

Ogre
1st Apr 2018, 23:54
For those who went before us, and those who shall come after us.
For those who gave all, and those who stand ready to give all

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Many happy returns,

Barksdale Boy
2nd Apr 2018, 00:47
Nothing from Sharkey yet.

FAR CU
2nd Apr 2018, 01:24
http://www.earlyaviators.com/courtneyport.jpg (http://www.earlyaviators.com/ecourtne.htm)

From someone who, as a very small boy, dreamed of one day being a pilot.
However, I was born with defective eyesight, so flying and many other careers were, sadly, never going to be available to me.This is Frank Courtney, who never let his eyesight get in the way of his ambition. Mick Mannock was monocular.

In the Second World War the head of RAF medicine was PC Livingston. In his autobiography he writes how he enabled many visually impaired pilot applicants , and other aircrew, to be passed fit.

https://pictures.abebooks.com/RMURIAN/md/md184717040.jpg (https://pictures.abebooks.com/RMURIAN/184717040.jpg)

The magnificent tradition- steeped Royal Air Force - any accolade from a mere bystander seems superfluous.

FAR CU
2nd Apr 2018, 01:37
https://dickens2015.files.wordpress.com/2018/04/29749639_1687310501350675_8873665093682912211_o.jpg?w=440

FAR CU
2nd Apr 2018, 03:00
The talented artists who enlivened peoples' perception of the Royal Air Force also deserve honorable mention. Frank Wootton's painting of a Spitfire in the book OUR AIR FORCE (1938?) is memorable. He has it from above in almost plan form well below. The Firth of Forth Bridge occupies most of the back drop. (Have not seen it for years but would like to if it is anywhere online.)

charliegolf
2nd Apr 2018, 13:56
As a result of the centenary celebrations, I picked this up on the BBC news feed. From Wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Ira_Thomas_Jones

As a Taff, I'm well-chuffed to see a local boy made very good; beginning with his earliest days in uniform.

CG

XV490
3rd Apr 2018, 10:26
I thought this story (https://dailym.ai/2uGz0OD) might re-emerge for the centenary!

Alber Ratman
3rd Apr 2018, 15:41
I thought this story (https://dailym.ai/2uGz0OD) might re-emerge for the centenary!

Of course it would , the Daily Fail gets all their gen from this Forum!

radar101
3rd Apr 2018, 15:55
Just heard that, separately, 2 x ex-RAF friends have died in the last 48 hours!! At least they saw in the 100th Anniversary.

Ages 95 (ex bomber command) and late-70s.

We will remember them.

Not a Crew Chief
4th Apr 2018, 16:11
In this field near Villesneux, on 1st April 1918 No. 16 Squadron RNAS (also known as 'A' Naval Squadron) became No. 216 Squadron RAF. A very enjoyable birthday dinner was had in Reims on 1st April 2018.

matkat
5th Apr 2018, 00:00
Proud to have served for 13% of our history.

ricardian
5th Apr 2018, 18:57
https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/29791983_10155535615738861_3640393135965601792_n.jpg?_nc_cat =0&oh=655252b45d8c4d63e4ce31b22cb90a1a&oe=5B340AEC

Bill Macgillivray
5th Apr 2018, 19:36
Ricardian,

How very, very true is your post ! These were, and are, the guys and girls who kept and keep the Royal Air Force where it is - still the best !!

(And I am ex-aircrew!)

Happy birthday, you were only in your "forties" when I joined ! Still the best !!

Bill

jindabyne
6th Apr 2018, 18:35
Totally agree. Groundcrew were and are the backbone of our Air Force. And never mentioned in the McGregors' awful 'programme'.

glad rag
6th Apr 2018, 19:08
:D :D :D :D :D :D

On our "team" at the cmu marham [RIP :( ] we worked out that the three of us had 72 years service experience on the the mighty FIN alone...

plus all the time on all sorts of cabs..

You have to fear for the future of the aircraft ground trades in the near future...

jindabyne
6th Apr 2018, 19:18
Why ----------?

Melchett01
10th Apr 2018, 18:36
Genuine question, and only because I’ve been asked by a friend and former colleague now out in civvie st - what’s the explanation behind the green/blue RAF100 roundel design? I honestly couldn’t come up with anything sensible to explain it.

NutLoose
10th Apr 2018, 20:29
You mean the pacman?

Nearest I can think is it is an amalgamation of all of the roundels of the RAF past and present.
We started off with just a red circle with a white background etc and it also appears to include the Far East roundel in it... That's my take on it, but I am probably wrong, personally I think it sucks.
Strangely enough they haven't posted my review of it, mind you I did tell them exactly what I thought of the Pacman design. :E

RAF roundel through the years

https://maxhitman.deviantart.com/art/Royal-Air-Force-Roundel-1914-Today-593133236

It appears I am correct

Reply from the RAFM -

"The sticker which is on sale in our shop is the dynamic roundel design which is the branding being used by RAF100 to celebrate the Centenary of the RAF. The RAF100 logo is inspired by the original RAF Roundel and will be being used by all RAF100 partners throughout the year as we commemorate and celebrate the first 100 years of the RAF.

RAF100 is a joint campaign being ran by The Royal Air Force, The RAF Association, The RAF Benevolent Fund, The RAF Charitable Trust and The RAF Museum. The money raised by any of the RAF100 products being sold in our shop will be divided equally between these organisations throughout the Centenary year."

Which doesn't really explain why or what

From

https://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?144837-RAF-celebrate-the-anniversary-of-Pacman

Who ever thought up this sh*te wants sacking. Personally I feel that is what you get when you hand over the running of the RAF's premier museum to someone who never served in the RAF. But if you think that is bad, wait until you see the official 2018 RAF 100 anniversary display team colour scheme, see post 14

https://www.pprune.org/military-aviation/607545-squadron-markings-lack-thereof.html

Melchett01
10th Apr 2018, 21:09
You mean the pacman

Thank god it’s not just me that thought Pacman!

NutLoose
10th Apr 2018, 21:29
I'm just awaiting Namco issuing a cease and desist for copyright infringment against the RAF Museum.

NutLoose
11th Apr 2018, 00:01
Well, I thought I would have a quick go at a scheme as the official one is so pants.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/802/40481434475_b50190111f_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/24FcW7P)Tiffy (https://flic.kr/p/24FcW7P) by Tony Taylor (https://www.flickr.com/photos/142550108@N08/), on Flickr

BEagle
11th Apr 2018, 13:44
I found this load of biz-speak wanquewords earlier:

Just over a century ago, on 1 April 1918, the Royal Air Force (RAF) was launched to serve Britain and its territories from the air. To coincide with this historic milestone, the RAF has launched a new brand campaign created by brand design agency Coley Porter Bell. Employing a flexible visual identity designed with cross-generational appeal, the new identity will be used until September 2018.

Led by Coley Porter Bell’s unique ‘visual planning’ methodology, the updated branding and assets for the RAF centenary are inspired by both military heritage and the need for flexible future-focused visuals. Although the classic and iconic RAF roundel is still core to the overall brand identity, its application alongside more contemporary marketing collateral shows that Coley Porter Bell has adapted the design to be applicable in a digital age.

For air commodore Nigel Bradshaw, head of media and communications at the Royal Air Force, Coley Porter Bell has perfectly understood the purpose of the RAF – translating it into a branding project. “Not only has [the agency] managed to encapsulate the past 100 years in this campaign, but it has brought to life the innovative and exciting essence of the Royal Air Force,” explains Bradshaw.

“This is a momentous year for us and I am confident that this fresh, new campaign identity will ensure that we commemorate our past, celebrate who we are and what we do today, and inspire the next generation.”

In its unique approach to branding, Coley Porter Bell also successfully merges science and design. Combining findings taken from neuroscience-oriented research with a heritage-led creative approach, the RAF spirit of persistence and triumph in the face of adversity remains front and centre of the brand campaign. Using photography, notions of pride strengthened through 100 years of service runs throughout the brand assets.

Perhaps the 'air commodore' should be asked to do the decent thing with a genuine 1918 Mess Webley?

The red banner with quarter roundel 'RAF100' logo is presumably to indicate the RAF shrinking out of trace, with the roundel disappearing into the bottom left hand corner?

Who signed off on this utter travesty?

NutLoose that rather nice Typhoon would look great flying through Tower Bridge!

goudie
11th Apr 2018, 15:32
Was that written by Sir Humphrey, I wonder?

langleybaston
11th Apr 2018, 15:51
Do they not understand that such a spouting of gobbledygook inspires only mirth and disdain amongst normal mortals?

Once upon a time Air Commodes were important people doing important military jobs ................

teeteringhead
11th Apr 2018, 16:06
once upon a time Air Commodes were important people o tempora o mores Langers old boy ....

AND they deserved initial capitals........

[and as any fule kno, Romans didn't use them as we do....]

Haraka
12th Apr 2018, 11:51
Well, I thought I would have a quick go at a scheme as the official one is so pants

Looking at that scheme it does seem a bit symbolic of U.K. in general in 2018. To match the apparent emergence of the Typhoon's nose markings from those over the rest of the aeroplane, perhaps the RAF Motto could also be somewhat adapted:

"Per Ardua Ab EU?"

John LeBrun
15th Aug 2018, 07:46
Last Friday, August 10th, as part of its celebrations of the RAF 100th birthday, a formal dinner was held in Lincoln Cathedral. I decided to go and put a deal of effort into the project as I live in the Languedoc region of France and had thrown my dinner jacket and trousers away some time ago. Having flown from Scampton and Waddington for some 20 years, I expected to see a few, just a few, familiar faces from Vulcan days. I have seldom been so disappointed. I had thought that this was to be a fine opportunity to meet up with old colleagues, mates and friends even. Of the 350 people who attended this dinner I did not see a single face that I recognised. I know that we are aging, I'm now 80, nevertheless where have all the Vulcan aircrews gone. Over the Vulcan era, there must have been well over a thousand aircrew that "went through the mill". I examined the table plan to see if at least I recognised a name of two. The only one I knew was that of a CinC Bomber Command, I think in the 70s. I recognised none of the rest. Only four serving officers turned up in mess dress as well as a couple of retired AVM who also wore their rather faded mess kit.Lincoln Cathedral is magnificent, but not its acoustics. An RAF junior band played well but we could not appreciate their music. There were a few speeches again badly affected by the acoustics which, as far as I could work out, were about fund raising for various RAF-linked charities.But the stab in the heart that really hurt is that the V-force was not mentioned once. The Lancaster and the slaughter of so many bomber crews was quite rightly highlighted. There is no question that the contribution of the Lancaster, which was around Lincolnshire for a relatively short period, was vital in winning the war, as were the fighters at the time. But the Vulcans were in the county for nearly 30 years. They won and kept the peace. Why are the British, chiefly the English, so obsessed with the Lancaster, the Spitfire and the Hurricane. The MOD continues to spend a substantial amount of its diminishing resources maintaining the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight. But when it came to keeping just one Vulcan airborne, I don't believe the MOD contributed a single pound. All was from private donations and some generous ones at that.As I mention above, I put a great deal of effort to go to what I though would be partly a reunion, and partly a celebration of the RAF's contribution to the County of Lincolnshire. At my table of 10 people, not a single one had had anything to do with the armed forces let alone the RAF. To these people this was simply an expensive social event. I was not at all impressed.

OldnDaft
15th Aug 2018, 08:14
Completed just over 32 years and counting. I have loved every minute and continue to do so.