PDA

View Full Version : Aptitude Testing for Pilots applying to ground school

HenryWakerley
28th Mar 2018, 11:12
Hello!

Many ground schools (such as Oxford CAE/CTC Aviation) I've seen do a number of different Aptitude tests for candidates who are applying to join. I've done a little research into what it consists of but I was wondering whether anyone had a bit of advice, as I want to be expecting as much as I can when going!

I've seen a number of websites that offer "training" as such on these tests, such as pilotaptitudetest

Has anyone used anything similar or recommend anything to do in order to prepare? just think some practice might boost confidence a little!

Many Thanks!

jamesgrainge
28th Mar 2018, 14:54
Do you have a private/gliding licence?

HenryWakerley
29th Mar 2018, 07:15
Do you have a private/gliding licence?

I am afraid I do not!

jamesgrainge
29th Mar 2018, 07:45
Go and get one. Can't get a better pilot aptitude test than that.

anchorhold
29th Mar 2018, 10:08
The thing about pilot aptitude tests most have never been validated, so we really do not know if they work. Let us say we do a 1000 tests, how do we know the ten per cent we selected were the best.

In respect of aptitude tests with Oxford and CTC they are a joke as the main element is you ability to pay them a large sum of money.

Treat aptitude tests as a hoops you need to jump through, but my advice is as follows:

(a) Completely agree with jamesgrainge, an demonstrated interest in flying is paramount, either learning to fly gliders or powered aircraft, or working or volunteering at a flying club.

(b) A good grounding in physics, maths, meteorology and aerodynamics, the later read kermode.

(c) The interview is critical, you need to demonstrate interest and knowledge in aviation, by way of example. What are the four forces in flight? Tell me the the difference between a turbofan and turbo jet?

(d) I suspect most airlines feel they need to do aptitude tests to tick a box, but really it is mostly down to the interview and application. For example I once asked a prospective airline pilot, why he wanted to be a pilot, he stated that because he liked the cudos and wearing a uniform, wrong. Good answer would have been, I like the challenge of using a variety of skills, such as maths, physics, understanding of weather, working as part of a team, providing a good service to my companies customers.

(e) I really do not agree with companies who think they can 'improve' your aptitude. There are alot of wise and older pilots on pprune who would support you on here for free.

Groundloop
29th Mar 2018, 10:46
In respect of aptitude tests with Oxford and CTC they are a joke as the main element is you ability to pay them a large sum of money.

Over the years I have been involved in dealing with students applying to a couple of the big schools and it appears to me that FTE fails a higher percentage of applicants than CAE. So, at least at FTE, the ability to pay seems to have a slightly lower weighting.

parkfell
29th Mar 2018, 14:06
Aptitude testing only proves one thing conclusively, and that is whether or not you are capable to passing an aptitude test. Interviews, group sessions etc can all be prepared for with external professional help readily available, for a price.

As you can purchase the various "copy cat" versions on line, a well prepared student should be capable of achieving 95%+ during the formal testing.

I am surprised the various tests are still used as they are fatally flawed in what they are meant to demonstrate.

Those who are really interested and have a overwhelming passion, will do a few hours at a gliding or flying club to see how they shape up.

A competent instructor will know within a few trips whether you have what it takes. The acid test is setting a known attitude and TRIMMING, together with "a nice pair of hands".
Just ensure that the academics are sound as well.....