View Full Version : It happened to me,so beware!!

kennyboy
16th Jun 2001, 01:04
I,m presently based in Florida finishing my PPL prior to commencing my CPL training.
On Tuesday night I decided to take the Warrior for a flight.Shortly after takeoff(at 200 feet),the engine started missing.By 300 feet,it was losing power.I managed to turn and land back on another runway.
I stopped on the grass just short of a fence.
What I learned from that is not to lose sight of the importance of staying "in control" of the a/c at all times.
Also I cannot stres enough the importance of thinking about what one would do in a similar emergency every time you take off.Something to think about next time your about to rotate!!

touch&go
16th Jun 2001, 01:55
Turned back at 300ft!!, well you would have had to be confident that the donkey didn't stop on you,

Well done

[This message has been edited by touch&go (edited 16 June 2001).]

OnTheStep
16th Jun 2001, 02:11
kudos on getting back down, any idea what caused the engine to go sour? i fly a warrior and archer on occasion as well

Sensible
16th Jun 2001, 02:19
Fraid it's a fact of life, those trainers that they throw at us have seen their best and now can only give us their worst!! Things can only get better can't they?

Gravox
16th Jun 2001, 09:59
CONGRATULATIONS....

Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing. I have also had an engine failure, but not at night, so I know the adrenaline was pumping... better than any drug. It is imperative that you stay in control of the aircraft throughout the ordeal, otherwise you may not walk away from it...

Once again, GOOD ONE... nice job!!!!
Happy landings
Gravox

Pielander
16th Jun 2001, 11:23
That's one to tell the grandchildren! :)

Superpilot
16th Jun 2001, 13:23
I've had a Warrior cough up on me once or twice. Once I was coming into Arcadia, at about 300ft, powered to idle and cough-cough it went. The engine cut out on landing and I had to drag the thing of the runway.

Another Warrior's engine would 'miss' occasionally and boy when it did that my heart missed a beat too.

Next time I go to Florida for some hour building I'll be spending a whole lot more per hour - for sure.

fly4fud
16th Jun 2001, 13:48
well done kennyboy! You set the priorities right and are here to tell the tale.

P.S.
so, what was the reason for the engine going foul, lack of fuel, water in the fuel or else ;) ?

------------------
... cut my wings and I'll die ...

hawkeyepearce
16th Jun 2001, 14:11
Good job mate ...something similar happened to me on a night x-c in Tx..ended up landing safely...did scare the pants off me though...for all those that fly singles at night...if you do ever have a similar emergency leading to a forced landing turn your landing light on...if you dont like what you see turn it back off...

sorry a little flight instructor humour...

kennyboy
16th Jun 2001, 16:24
Thanks for the comments guys.The problem with the warrior was a blown cylinder.
It was two days before my PPL checkride which meant I had to take my test in a cessna 150(but passed ok).
The cylinder has been replaced and the a/c is back online.I feel abit anxious flying that plane again but as the saying goes"if you fall off the horse,then you get straight back on".I would be interested if anyone knows the procedure to "run in" a new cylinder?

Wee Weasley Welshman
16th Jun 2001, 17:19
Hmm, well done Kenny because in the end it went alright and in the end thats all that matters.

However. The correct procedure at 300' with a rough running engine is to lower the nose to retain safe flying speed, assess whether level or climbing flight is possible, if not then land ahead following EFATO drills.

The one thing I had thumped into me, and then spent 6 years thumping into others, is that YOU NEVER TURN BACK.

That particular action has killed countless pilots most of them much more experienced than yourself. The AirBourne Cherokee at Bournemouth springs to mind as a recent good example. Stalled in with high bank angle during a turnback with partial power loss. He was killed. As were his passengers who were on a birthday fun flight. He was a qualified flying instructor...

I am concerned that you have reached the point of unsupervised solo flying and have not been taught this very common, very necessary rule.

When it comes to commerical flight training any bad habits like this will have to be stamped out by your flying instructor. Its never an easy task and thas why often we quite like people to have no prior experience. Programming is easy the de-programming.

Safe flying,

kennyboy
16th Jun 2001, 23:15
Thanks for the constructive comments-www.
After becoming airborne of R22 and realsing I had a problem my immediate thoughts were either turn 90degrees and aim for beginning of R31 or land on the beach which I knew would be busy.I decided to turn for 31 very conscious of my airspeed.I knew from the fields layout that if I could not line up with 31 then at least I could make the grass strip surrounding the runways.
There is no doubt I could not have returned to R22.I have had "thumped"into me the importance of maintaining airspeed or else.
On reflection now sat in a nice cosy office,it is easier for me to look at the situation and learn from the experience.

Flap Sup
16th Jun 2001, 23:15
Congrats Kenny

It only proves the thesis: The propeller is just a fan to keep the pilot cool: When it stops the pilot will break into a sweat!

rgds FS

touch&go
16th Jun 2001, 23:31
WWW, you said what I was thinking, you never turn back!!,

So many people stall the aircraft during EFATO, it was drilled into us to push the nose down and get airspeed.

[This message has been edited by touch&go (edited 16 June 2001).]

Crosswind Limits
17th Jun 2001, 00:03
Well done Kennyboy but I think the point made by WWW et al is of vital importance. Kind of reminds of an occurrence last year while I was doing my PPL in southern England. I was doing circuits with my instructor in an old 152 and just after rotation on the 6th circuit the engine started to run rough. Fortunately we were only about 30 or so feet from the runway so we carried out a landing ahead on the remaining runway, although we did overrun slightly but only on to the grass verge and with no damage to the aircraft. We taxied to the threshold and did a power check at max RPM and there didn't seem to be any problems. We then completed a few more circuits without any incidents. The engineers later inspected the engine but found nothing unusual. A little unnerving for someone who was about to go solo, as I did the next day - in a different aircraft!

I have often thought of what we would have done had we climbed to say 200-300 feet before she started to cough, splutter and lose power. Stuff the nose down, pick a suitable spot and land ahead every time!

Mr moto
17th Jun 2001, 01:42
No, no, no. You've all precisely missed the point!

Doesn't matter what you do in an aircraft as long as you have the speed to do it. This applies from hang-gliders to airliners.

Failure to obey this rule of the air kills too many people every year.

You probably want at least 500' for the turn and to put aside a popular misconception, you're not aiming for the runway you just departed.

My advice is to find someone who knows what its about and try it at a sensible height.

Tinstaafl
17th Jun 2001, 04:31
I think Kennyboy's point was missed. He didn't turn back, he turned 90 deg. & land next to a cross runway.

That's often been my planned course of action should the engine quit shortly after take off - once adequate height to make the turn is gained of course. Especially at night because the aerodrome area is a known, relatively obstacle free area.

It's no fun having an engine go tits up at night. I had a cylinder head completely separate from the barrel once while flying at night.

Well done for acting quickly and appropriately!!!