PDA

View Full Version : Exeter

flybeboy
26th Mar 2018, 16:22
Tui have anounced new flights from exeter in summer 2019... Zante.. Herakloin crete and antalaya turkey.

ETOPS
26th Mar 2018, 16:43
And we are having a collection to buy you some capital letters to use next time :rolleyes:

flybeboy
26th Mar 2018, 17:06
Will be news latter this week on a partnership.keep watching

PDXCWL45
5th Apr 2018, 20:50
TUI Summer 2019
Larnaca 1 weekly Sunday
Paphos 1 weekly Saturday
Corfu 1 weekly Friday
Heraklion 1 weekly Tuesday
Rhodes 1 weekly Wednesday
Zante 1 weekly Monday
Faro 1 weekly Friday
Gran Canaria 1 weekly Monday non based flight Norwegian maybe? Says TBA
Ibiza 1 weekly Wednesday
Lanzarote 2 weekly Sunday and Thursday
Menorca 2 weekly Monday and Friday
Palma de Mallorca 4 weekly Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. The Wednesday flight is non based Eurowings? Albastar? Currently TBA
Tenerife 1 weekly Tuesday non based flight operated by Norwegian Airlines.
Antalya 1 weekly Thursday non based carrier, Freebird? Currently TBA
Dalaman 2 weekly Monday and Thursday both days are a non based carrier, Freebird? Currently TBA
20 weekly departures. 14 with based aircraft and 6 with non based so looks like Exeter will see some new carriers in 2019.

canberra97
5th Apr 2018, 23:06
That's an extremely impressive operation by TUI at Exeter with some good destinations on offer with good frequencies as well.

MARKEYD
15th Aug 2018, 08:39
Flybe are basing another DCH 8 400 at Exeter this winter to operate extra services to CDG which becomes 2 x day and AMS which becomes 11 a week and and extra service to MAN again taking the service to 4 daily
Along with the based EMB 195 which continues to operate to ALC , FAO , AGP , CMF and NWI this winter and again will operate a full sun schedule for the whole of next summer with some flights again to Norwich

This takes Exeter to 4 base DCH 8 400 , 1 EMB 195 and a TUI 738 not bad for a regional airport

Nakata77
15th Aug 2018, 08:43
Whilst I am very happy for EXT, I am perplexed that BOH continues to do without direct service to similar destinations.

Exeter population 110,000
Bournemouth population (with Poole and Christchurch attached) 450,000

SWBKCB
15th Aug 2018, 09:08
Because flybe have a base at SOU - 30 miles away?

cuthere
15th Aug 2018, 09:17
Add Torbay: 130,000, Plymouth: 263,000 etc etc.

Nakata77
15th Aug 2018, 09:33
Good point - would the likes of Jet2 ever be interested in Exeter?

EGTE
15th Aug 2018, 21:42
The total population of Devon was estimated in 2017 to be over 1.1 million. Plenty of potential passengers amongst that lot.

virginblue
15th Aug 2018, 22:27
Why on earth is EXT-NWI operated with an E95? I struggle to see potential for a Q400, let alone for an E95 as I would categorize this as a rather thin regional route. What am I missing here?

cornishsimon
15th Aug 2018, 22:37
I think they use theE95 to NWI to position the aircraft up to NWI to operate sun routes but it then returns to Exeter on a revenue flight.

Well that was the original plan, not sure it’s still the case

PDXCWL45
15th Aug 2018, 23:41
Both sectors of the NWI flight are on sale. I believe the flights generally operate as an example EXT-ALC-NWI-EXT then EXT-NWI-ALC-EXT. In 2017 27,309 passengers used the route Exeter to Norwich route.

shamrock7seal
16th Aug 2018, 01:18
I would love to know more about who these people are flying between EXT and NWI but a quick check on google maps shows a horrendous 5.5hr road journey and a hellish train service if one wants to get from West to East or vice versa...

cornishsimon
16th Aug 2018, 07:49
Sorry that’s what I meant. It’s s revenue generating positioning flight

fotheringay
22nd Aug 2018, 20:45
I believe the route, just lately, has been operating nearly full. Anything which prevents driving, or getting stuck, on the M25 or travelling on the tube between mainline stations in London has to be a good thing. The air fare, if booked in advance, is cheaper than the train and only takes 40 mins, take off to touchdown. Recommend it as a way of getting to the West Country.

Jersey32D
11th Sep 2018, 09:10
Ryanair have just announced the following routes commencing S19, EXTMLA, EXTNAP & EXTAGP.

shamrock7seal
11th Sep 2018, 10:50
Wonder if Rigby will manage to develop Ryanair at Norwich also as that is a Rigby airport.

Great news for Exeter airport as this will surely provide more competition and an alternative to BRS for those in the West Country

4eyed anorak
11th Sep 2018, 15:23
At last an alternative to Flybe! Flying from Exeter you're punished finacially for that pleasure by Flybe. Hopefully fares will come down in the future.
Great news all round

PDXCWL45
11th Sep 2018, 15:42
Only overlap is on the Malaga route. Flybe operate 4 weekly Monday Thursday Saturday and Sunday. Ryanair will operate 2 weekly Wednesday and Sunday. Only clash is on Sundays with Ryanair operating in the morning and Flybe in the afternoon and night. Ryanair will end up complimenting Flybe on an underserved route they aren't going to force them out and aren't competition on their bread and butter routes with the Q400s.

shamrock7seal
14th Sep 2018, 03:00
Road links to EXT airport are superb including the M5 and the A30 that runs literally right next to the airport. Is there potential for a train station for the airport as I notice that the railway line actually runs very close by the airport too.

Previous management at EXT wanted to protect Flybe from the LCC's by not offering deals to them. Has this now changed?

Wycombe
14th Sep 2018, 07:36
the railway line actually runs very close by the airport too.

I believe the line that runs closest is the Exeter to Waterloo line, which is single track for large stretches, so capacity would probably be an issue if you were taking about additional trains.

Jersey32D
14th Sep 2018, 08:05
There is a recently opened train station just north of the airport at the newly developed town of Cranbrook. A bus service connects Exeter with the station and airport. Whilst not entirely convienant at around two miles away, it does offer the possibility for expansion in the future.

THEWEASEL
1st Oct 2018, 15:14
After the big announcment about FR flights from EXT they've now disappeared again from Ryanair booking engine? Flight dates are still in bold on the calendar part of the booking site, then 'no flights available' show for all dates. Some backtracking going on, or just FR messing about with aircraft positioning in the face of more strikes?? Anyone have any insight?

cuthere
1st Oct 2018, 18:02
Working fine now. May have been a glitch.

MARKEYD
2nd Nov 2018, 12:02
New TUI route for next winter 2019/20 is Hurghada in Egypt , announced on the news page of their website

Official launch is on 8 Nov when both winter and summer destinations for 2020 will be announced

Sharklet_321
16th Nov 2018, 09:56
What is the Flybe network profitability like in Exeter? Are all routes profitable? I would be keen to hear what Exeter Airport & Rigby Group think about the current Flybe issues. Perhaps they have already helped them with airport deals and subsidies?

Would easyJet be interested in operating from Exeter to the likes of Scotland/Northern Ireland?

KLM to Amsterdam?

sparkie320
17th Nov 2018, 09:09
you are correct
The 195 starts the day in Exeter goes south to the sun Malaga Alicante
up to Norwich pop across to Exeter change crew then head back
Arrives Exeter late evening

MARKEYD
18th Jan 2019, 16:26
TUI have cancelled the Las Palmas summer 19 season for some reason . It will operate again from November 19 with an Exeter based TUI 737

flybeboy
18th Jan 2019, 16:40
Norwegian airlines closing base at LPA. Their closing TENERIFE to do that might go to..

OltonPete
18th Jan 2019, 16:41
Is the answer on another thread in as much as will Tenerife switch from Norwegian to a TUI based aircraft in place of LPA?

Norwegian are closing the Tenerife base so it would be difficult although not impossible to crew it from the Gatwick base or even use a Gatwick based aircraft (currently the LGW-TFS on a Tuesday is a straight there and back afternoon to late evening).

Currently the booking engine shows no change to EXT-TFS (still D8) but LPA is not bookable

Flightrider
18th Jan 2019, 18:42
Probably will try to switch the based TUI 737 onto Tenerife on a Tuesday and put the Palma on something else. With the TUI based 737 doing Mahon + Zakynthos on Monday, it's rather harder to rescue the Las Palmas in the same sort of way.

MARKEYD
6th Feb 2019, 20:09
Looks like the 4 th based Dash 8 is staying at Exeter for the summer with the Paris continuing as a double daily and extra flights to AMS and EDI

That makes 4 based Dash , 1 E195 and a TUI B738 not bad for Exeter !!

PDXCWL45
6th Feb 2019, 20:42
Plus 6 weekly flights from Ryanair. 2019 should see some decent growth!

rog747
28th Feb 2019, 08:21
There is an emergency on the runway at Exeter currently so the airport is closed until further notice. FlyBe aircraft evacuated at the end of runway 26. EMB jet

EGTE
28th Feb 2019, 09:11
The Devon Live website reports smoke in the cockpit of the Embraer 195 operating flight BE4321 to Alicante at 8am. The aircraft had lined up for departure on Runway 26 when the emergency was declared. All passengers and crew were evacuated via the emergency slides.
The aircraft has been recovered to the Flybe hangars and the airport re-opened at around 09:10.

rog747
28th Feb 2019, 09:14
thanks EGTE

MARKEYD
1st Mar 2019, 11:01
TUI have quietly replaced the Wed summer Palma flight operated by Alba Star B738 to a scheduled Flybe service instead

Turkey flights are being operated again by Freebird A320 on some days and the based TUI aircraft on others

Norwegian airlines still pencilled in to operate to TFS on a Tuesday like BOH

flybeboy
6th Mar 2019, 20:14
The alba star flight to palma has been replaced with a thursday flight based plane , the faro flight it was ops on thurs is now a flight ops by a cardiff based plane so car-faro-exe-faro-car. Also ryanair are extend the malta and malaga to 2x weekly but year round so winter to, so good news, naples is summer only. Their is a lot of talk about more routes coming , talkes about is tenerife, barca, paphos and taking over the flybe sun routes as most people say they wont, arent keeping them, finishing oct. So ryanair to alicante, faro, palma to. Anybody heard this.

NickBarnes
7th Mar 2019, 07:39
I have heard Ryanair will also replace Flybe at NWI on the sun routes also, as flybe won't be keeping them beyond the Summer, so yes I believe it's true

MARKEYD
7th Mar 2019, 17:08
As i already said the Alba Star flight has been canceled and now passengers have been moved on to the regular scheduled Flybe service on the Wednesday

The Flybe service to Faro is still being operated by the based EXT aircraft not CWL on a Thursday

Good to see the continuation of the Ryanair flights into the winter , its most likely that they are definitely testing the water big time to move in on Flybe services to the Med for a " seamless " transition !

Would imagine that Norwich will get the same service soon

toon22
7th Mar 2019, 17:33
Not as long as they have a development fee at Norwich.

NickBarnes
7th Mar 2019, 19:55
Maybe something very surprising will be happening then :ok:

stewyb
7th Mar 2019, 20:17
In which case who the heck is going to operate BE’s SOU Sun routes?😟

flybeboy
8th Mar 2019, 10:14
Today a new air pakt has been given the go ahead at exeter airport, with a new air park being built next to flybe hangar ang long stay car park. This will mean a new runabout by car park 1 , widening the road down to the flybe training buiding and hilton hotel. Maybe flybe , conect have told them their staying or want more space. Does seem funney buiding a new air parl \ biz park if flybe hq, main, training pull out. The anoucement this will the airport can expaned outside and air side.

EGTE
8th Mar 2019, 18:24
Yeah....... what flybeboy said...........

https://www.devonlive.com/news/huge-plans-exeter-airport-road-2620576

MARKEYD
27th Mar 2019, 18:51
TUI seem to be having a bit of a cull this summer with Antalya now only operates in the month of July and August and the Wednesday Palma service operated first by Alba Star then moved to the scheduled FlyBe service has also been removed from the booking engine
Las Palmas was taken off for the summer in January

Finally the Hurghada winter flights for 19/20 have also been taken off sale which was a new service , possible they could re appear later

Flitefone
27th Mar 2019, 19:52
Consequent the Max grounding perhaps, going into the summer with 8 aircraft fewer than planned for an unknown period must be challenging!

Changes elsewhere too?

MARKEYD
27th Mar 2019, 21:05
Nothing to do with the Max grounding as all 3rd party airlines were operating the cancelled flights and the
LPA flights were stopped well before as well , and more to do with the Norwegian airlines contract I think

Sharklet_321
2nd Apr 2019, 13:01
How were the load factors on the first Ryanair this morning?

PDXCWL45
2nd Apr 2019, 13:11
According to a post on another forum yesterday the seat map showed 170 seats taken.

Sharklet_321
2nd Apr 2019, 16:53
That's great news, off to a good start.. plus the seat map reveals a conservative number because not everyone chooses to pay to select and confirm a seat, right?

rog747
3rd Apr 2019, 05:34
Ryanair for trim reasons used to block the first and last few rows (3 rows ?) so any seat map may not be accurate - not sure if they still do that?

PDXCWL45
3rd Apr 2019, 06:28
Its not 100% accurate but with them it does give a good indication of what the loads are like.

Sharklet_321
4th Apr 2019, 09:40
Flybe are removing all jet operations from EXT at the end of Oct 2019. But this couldn't be more than 85,000 passengers a year right (?) so the airport will still likely maintain it's 'million' passenger accolade.

I suppose this now explains why Ryanair were invited in by Rigby. Just hope they don't come on to TUI routes.

MARKEYD
12th Apr 2019, 13:55
As expected Ryanair are starting an Alicante route on a Tuesday and Saturday for the winter taking over from Flybe

Would expect to see Palma and Faro added for next summer

Wycombe
12th Apr 2019, 15:02
So FR running ALC flights this winter out of EXT and NQY (2 a week also from NQY AIUI as was the case for the season just ended).

Sharklet_321
12th Apr 2019, 22:38
Very good news for Exeter. Hopefully Ryanair will base an aircraft or two there given BRS is full.

yeo valley
13th Apr 2019, 04:59
Next summer there will be at least 6 airport stands empty over nights. New stands being built, and no BMIR. Will you please do a check of what you are going to post what ever the subject.

PDXCWL45
13th Apr 2019, 09:46
Yet Ryanair have stated in their APD statement I believe that Bristol is full but I personally think that they mean that there is too much competition there hence why they are looking at other airports.

FFHKG
13th Apr 2019, 09:56
I would guess that the backroom boys at Ryanair have been looking at where their passengers in the South West originate, then planning accordingly. Why should people from the extreme South West have to travel all the way up to Bristol when other airports are closer. Whilst Bristol may offer more destinations, Ryanair probably work on the principal that people prefer to travel from their local airport to the most popular European destinations. Hence increasing destinations from Exeter.

PDXCWL45
13th Apr 2019, 10:47
And many of those passengers who are attracted to Ryanair may not have used them before or be Easyjet passengers but most likely be new passengers.

MerchantVenturer
13th Apr 2019, 12:36
Where does the idea come from that BRS is full up? As yeo valley points out, the departure of flybmi has freed up some overnight stands and anyway two more new ones are in the process of completion for the main summer months, to go with four other new ones built on recent years. The airport is currently asking the local authority for permission to incease its annual passenger limit from 10 mppa to 12 mppa which is expected to be reached by the mid 2020s, with up to 20 mppa planned by the 2040s.

I don't know what Ryanair means if they said BRS is full. The airline has still scheduled eight additional weekly rotations in the main summer months this year compared with last summer, and they could also schedule further flights from other bases to arrive and depart at non-peak times if they really felt BRS was full. Furthermore, Ryanair's BRS winter programme has increased by over 60% in the past four winters to 25 winter routes and 90 weekly winter rotations.

I've gone into some detail about BRS because it suggests that Ryanair's decison to spread to the likes of EXT and CWL is a commercial one rather than operational.

I know this is only a snapshot and it is the Easter holidays but it does seem at the moment that Ryanair's decision to move into EXT and expand at CWL is paying off. For example, on 6 April, the first Saturday of the school holidays in many areas, the next EXT-MLA was sold out and the next CWL-MLA nearly so. At the same time the next five BRS-MLA flights were already all sold out. It does suggest that a lot of new passengers used the services as they obviously could not all have used the 3 x weekly BRS-MLA, had that been the only option from south west Britain as would have been the case last year. The next test will be May when Air Malta and Thomas Cook resume their own BRS-MLA flights.

EXT-AGP seems to be in a similar position with sold out or nearly sold out flights which don't seem to have affected Ryanair's BRS-AGP: one of the two BRS-AGPs flights is sold out tomorrow as are some later in the week. easyJet doesn't seem to be suffering either with its double-daily BRS-AGP operation - four of the next six BRS-AGP are sold out.

So it does seem that EXT (and CWL) are generating considerable numbers of new passengers. Obviously early days, but if this trend continues and yields are satisfactory it might well be the case that these airports can expect more Ryanair routes to the popular destinations.

shamrock7seal
13th Apr 2019, 12:57
Do the catchment areas of EXT and BOH overlap? I wonder if any dilution occurs on Ryanair services between these two airports...

cuthere
13th Apr 2019, 13:03
Do the catchment areas of EXT and BOH overlap? I wonder if any dilution occurs on Ryanair services between these two airports...

Not with the 265000 people of Plymouth 40 miles to the west of Exeter. I think, demographically speaking, there’s enough people to generate demand for the services being added.

shamrock7seal
13th Apr 2019, 13:14
That’s a very good point. I didn’t appreciate that the people of Plymouth probably see EXT as their regional airport.

I wonder if other airlines like Jet2 would see opportunities from EXT

rog747
14th Apr 2019, 03:19
Yes BOH and EXT do over lap for the IT market

Anyone west of Poole/Weymouth/Dorchester would consider EXT (and BRS) for a package holiday and flights if BOH was not available.
Locals hate going up to LGW

Local Businessmen from Penzance to Dorset would consider EXT BRS NQY or SOU - or the one for them that has best links (train, motorway) and best flights ---
(Well, depending on the current Flymaybe debacle)

Does NQY have any IT or Sun flights? They used to have a PMI at one time...

cornishsimon
14th Apr 2019, 08:29
Nqy doesn’t really do IT

the odd Newmarket charter, an odd cruise, Iceland etc but nothing else other than scheduled ops

cs

Sharklet_321
18th Apr 2019, 08:40
TUI have loaded Zante into Summer 2020 on Mondays

virginblue
18th Apr 2019, 10:24
Isn't it a no-brainer for Ryanair to go for CWL and EXT instead of adding "more of the same" at BRS and compete there with easyJet plus TUI and TCX? If someone from Wales and the Southwest has to travel to Bristol to get to the costas, he will have a choice between up to four airlines to some of those destinations. At EXT and CWL, it will be, if any, not more than one competitor. The advantage for Ryanair really is that they have bases in southern Europe almost everywhere and can serve smaller regional airports in the UK without having to set up shop, unlike easyJet.

Sharklet_321
18th Apr 2019, 10:48
Totally agree virginblue.

Even Jet2 seem to be biting at the heels of easyJet at BRS by setting up at BHX for example. (A lot of BRS pax come from southern BHX catchment area)

MerchantVenturer
18th Apr 2019, 17:36
It certainly seems a win win situation for Ryanair to operate into EXT (and CWL). Taking Malta as an example the new flights from EXT and CWL have been well loaded as have those from BRS with a lot of sold-outs at the latter. The same thing applies with EXT and Malaga. Ryanair has also been adding flights from BRS on some sun routes this summer so they seem to have covered all the South West Britain bases.

Away from the sun, Ryanair thus far seems content to begin new routes at BRS at the moment, rather than try them at EXT (or CWL) instead, even though recent arrivals compete with easyJet such as Seville, Milan MXP (although they got it there before easyJet announced theirs), Sofia (ski season only).

BRS gets most of its non-core catchment passengers from South Wales and Devon. Received wisdom seems to have been that a lot of thinner routes (not just with Ryanair) in South West Britain go to BRS because it has a larger core catchment than either EXT or CWL with BRS's physical location also enabling it to 'top up' from both CWL and EXT catchments. Ryanair's moves on this in the coming years will be interesting to see if it believes that EXT can sustain any of its non-sun routes.

To comment on the point about a lot of BRS passengers coming from the southern BHX catchment, it's not born out by the stats which means that South Wales and Devon have the most BRS passengers to try to re-capture, or capture for the first time with some of them.

sixchannel
18th Apr 2019, 18:32
Some of our family live 25 miles north of Bristol (the City). They invariably choose BHX over BRS as the route to BRS ftom the north takes as long as the one up to BHX. And trying to get to BRS in the Summer via a car-jammed M5 is a DEFINITE no-no. OK, I know the M42 is no picnic either.
All of which has nowt to do with the subject 'Exeter'. Sorree.

MerchantVenturer
18th Apr 2019, 19:19
Some of our family live 25 miles north of Bristol (the City). They invariably choose BHX over BRS as the route to BRS ftom the north takes as long as the one up to BHX. And trying to get to BRS in the Summer via a car-jammed M5 is a DEFINITE no-no. OK, I know the M42 is no picnic either.
All of which has nowt to do with the subject 'Exeter'. Sorree.
Passenger stats show that a lot more South West people use BHX than West Midlands people use BRS, and that's not a new phenomenon. It is relevant to EXT in a way because as I pointed out in a previous post most of BRS's non-core cachment passengers originate or have a final destination in Devon or South Wales, not the Midlands or South East, so EXT does have a chance of getting some back. I think its problem will always be the thinner routes. The major sun routes have a market - obviously the key is to ensure satisfactory yields - even if frequencies are limited.

My brother-in-law lives on Dartmoor and he is always bending my ear about having to go to Bristol or Gatwick for his sun holiday flights. He keeps asking why Ryanair and easyJet don't fly from EXT. I've now told him that it's up to him to put his money where his mouth is following the Ryanair entry to EXT.

MARKEYD
4th Jun 2019, 16:07
Loads on the new Ryanair services seem very reasonable given the start in April

Malta saw 2607 passengers, an average of 145 pax per flight

Naples saw 2266 passengers, an average of 142 pax per flight

Hard to work out the Malaga as these also include Flybe but certainly up a huge amount

Sharklet_321
6th Jun 2019, 13:52
Will be interesting to see if this dented the BOH stats at all for Malta

Sharklet_321
6th Jun 2019, 14:48
April total 84,990 up 13.4%
Rolling year to date 960,012 up 4.9%

Positives

Malta 2,607 (New)
Naples 2,266 (New)
Paris 6,686 up 71% (now beating SOU in terms of monthly CDG totals)
Geneva 368 up 65%
Malaga 3,243 up 48%
Guernsey 2,847 up 24%
Amsterdam 4,736 up 16%
Jersey 3,911 up 11%
Tenerife 4,367 up 10%
Norwich 2,497 up 10%
Manchester 10,380 up 8%

Negatives

Paphos 1,417 -1%
Dublin 3,177 -3%
Isles of Scilly 1,331 -5%
Glasgow 3,481 -7%
Alicante 3,243 -8%
Newcastle 3,632 -10%
Faro 1,381 -10%
Lanzarote 2,935 -12%
Palma 3,774 -13%
Las Palmas 1,523 -18%
Bergerac 71 -24%
Larnaca 1,267 -29%
Chambery 0 (last year 175)

Misc

Toulouse 40
Hamburg 71

Sharklet_321
21st Aug 2019, 08:10
June passenger data

106,376 +11% over June 2018 95,651

Positives:

Malaga 6,944 +80%
Paris CDG 6,980 +75%
Bergerac 1,136 +52%
Edinburgh 5,268 +22%
Lanzarote 3,316 +13%
Amsterdam 4,899 +13%
Dalaman 3,061 +11%
Paphos 1,855 +10% (Ryanair at BOH seems to have no effect on this route)
Larnaca 1,522 +6%
Manchester 11,286 5%

Negatives

Las Palmas 0 -100%
Corfu 1,475 -21%
Glasgow 3,234 -21%
Rennes 375 -18%
Mahon 2,817 -13%
Dublin 2,897 -12% (Ryanair at BOH seems to have impacted slightly)
Guernsey 2,557 -11%
Newcastle 3,663 -10%
Faro 2,981 -10%
Norwich 2,408 -7%
Isles of Scilly 2,184 -7%
Palma 9,043 -5%
Jersey 3,727 -4%
Alicante 3,587 -4%
Ibiza 1,393 -4%
Tenerife 1,422 -3%

New

Zakynthos 1,483
Naples 2,692
Malta 2,729

Sharklet_321
28th Aug 2019, 15:48
July 113,032 +15.4%
Rolling 12 months 997,368 +8.4%

Positives:
Bergerac 1,232 115%
Malaga 6,705 71%
Paris CDG 7,507 69%
Edinburgh 6,135 33%
Ibiza 1,319 20%
Amsterdam 5,063 12%
Guernsey 3,229 10%
Dalaman 2,591 5%
Tenerife 1,790 3%
Mahon 2,709 1%
Palma 8,583 1%

No change:
Jersey 3,895

New:
Naples 3,001
Malta 3,065
Antalya 400

Negatives:
Norwich 2,842 -11%
Glasgow 4,025 -11%
Newcastle 3,920 -10%
Rennes 407 -10%
Lanzarote 2,642 -8%
Dublin 3,765 -5%
Faro 2,532 -5%
Alicante 3,820 -2%
Isles of Scilly 2,481 -2%
Manchester 12,447 -1%

Misc:
Las Palmas - discontinued

PDXCWL45
17th Sep 2019, 19:35
I don't if this is a new announcement but Ryanair will be operating Alicante during the winter from Exeter starts 29th October.
https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1174042848490139648

MARKEYD
22nd Oct 2019, 08:13
Looks like TUI are increasing their presence at Exeter with a second based aircraft operating from Mon - Wed now

An extra service to Corfu and Palma with Las Palmas returning , while Turkey sees a massive increase to 5 flights a week now

Guess some of this will replace Flybe lost capacity

MARKEYD
23rd Oct 2019, 07:57
TUI have added another Zante service on a Thu am , this means possibly the second TUI aircraft remains at Exeter Mon - Thu now
Still a few gaps to fill in on Tue pm and Thu pm

rog747
23rd Oct 2019, 08:00
TUI are I gather placing a LTN based 738 for half a week at BOH and the other half spent at EXT - Is this so?

MARKEYD
23rd Oct 2019, 08:18
TUI 2020 schedule as it stands for Exeter

Mon
A/C 1 EXT MAH EXT ZTH EXT

A/C 2 EXT CFU EXT LPA EXT

Tue
A/C 1 EXT PMI EXT HER EXT

A/C 2. EXT ? EXT AYT EXT

Wed
A/C 1 EXT IBZ EXT RHO EXT

A/C 2. EXT PMI EXT DLM EXT

Thu
A/C. 1. EXT FAO EXT ACE EXT

A/C 2. EXT ZTH EXT ? EXT

Fri
A/C 1 EXT MAH EXT CFU EXT PMI EXT

Sat
A/C 1. EXT. PMI. EXT. PFO. EXT

Sun
A/C. 1. EXT ACE. EXT. LCA. EXT

Its possible then that the aircraft then moves up to Bournemouth on Thursday afternoon to continue flying duties , however i dont work in aircraft scheduling and have no idea if this is the case

rog747
23rd Oct 2019, 08:35
TUI 2020 schedule as it stands for Exeter

Mon
A/C 1 EXT MAH EXT ZTH EXT

A/C 2 EXT CFU EXT LPA EXT

Tue
A/C 1 EXT PMI EXT HER EXT

A/C 2. EXT ? EXT AYT EXT

Wed
A/C 1 EXT IBZ EXT RHO EXT

A/C 2. EXT PMI EXT DLM EXT

Thu
A/C. 1. EXT FAO EXT ACE EXT

A/C 2. EXT ZTH EXT ? EXT

Fri
A/C 1 EXT MAH EXT CFU EXT PMI EXT

Sat
A/C 1. EXT. PMI. EXT. PFO. EXT

Sun
A/C. 1. EXT ACE. EXT. LCA. EXT

Its possible then that the aircraft then moves up to Bournemouth on Thursday afternoon to continue flying duties , however i dont work in aircraft scheduling and have no idea if this is the case

Nice one - quite possible A/C 2 on Thurs goes over to BOH

as for the slot on TUES am - is it Tenerife TFS or Reus QGN?

Edit the Tues TFS appears to be op by NOR/DY - Maybe TUI keep the slot open in case NOR stops flying?

MARKEYD
29th Oct 2019, 12:00
Ryanair look to be dropping the Naples flight which was summer only after 1 season
The other 3 flights to Malta , Malaga and Alicante are now year round all 2 x week

Looks like the airport will head towards the elusive 1 million passenger mark for next year

The Tuesday slot in the am has now been filled in with TFS which was originally operated by Norwegian

MerchantVenturer
29th Oct 2019, 19:21
Looks like the airport will head towards the elusive 1 million passenger mark for next year

EXT's 12-month rolling total at the end of August this year was 1,013,235, vide CAA stats.

The airport's best calendar year to date was 2007 when 1.012 million passengers were handled.

MARKEYD
14th Nov 2019, 16:47
Brief look at Exeter schedule next summer with Flybe / Virgin and there is still 3 based DHC8 400 operating out , looks like at the moment CDG and AMS are back to just daily flights as opposed to twice a day at the moment

Rennes looks to be not operating but the Edinburgh service is upgraded to a E 195 operated by Stobart

MARKEYD
5th Jan 2020, 11:30
TUI seem to be having a bit of a cull at some UK airports ahead of summer 2020

Flights to AYT and DLM on Thursday and Friday using Freebird have been cut leaving 3 flights a week now to Turkey

Still a gap on Thursday pm using the 2 nd based TUI aircraft unless it’s positions to BOH earlier and sits on the ground which would be unlikely given the shortages

It could still be used for a PMI service as airline is still tba. for an EXT flight that day

MARKEYD
14th Jan 2020, 13:15
Looks like TUI have moved the Dalaman service that was operating on Thursday to BOH now and Freebird i would imagine are operating it
The case of the missing gap on a Thu with TUI has been resolved with the flight now operating EXT FAO EMA FAO EXT BOH

Palma on a Thursday has now been axed leaves just 4 flights a week , surprised considering the loss of the Flybe route

Sharklet_321
31st Jan 2020, 16:18
Exeter saw a fall in Pax in Dec 19 versus the year before of 6% to 60,664.

Saw some healthy gains on some routes like Malaga (up 93%) and Alicante (up 30%), plus Tenerife (up 18%).

VHF4
6th Feb 2020, 09:13
Wiz rumoured to be looking at Exeter next year .

Sharklet_321
13th Mar 2020, 10:27
Seems like no-one cares about EXT on this site.

SO Blue Islands have confirmed a new EXT-MAN service. I have serious doubts about whether this will survive given the fact they have no codeshares with passengers for onward journeys. This was the engine that kept the Flybe Manchester flight working.

Dropoffcharge
13th Mar 2020, 10:34
Think the likes of SOU are stealing all the unfortunate limelight atm, however fact of the matter is EXT is also in a precarious position too, just lucky they'll have the likes of RYN and TUI going into the summer season, fingers crossed for all of those concerned.

Albert Hall
13th Mar 2020, 10:55
Sharklet - codeshares were not that important to EXT/MAN - it was the domestic feeds to the likes of ABZ that were far more significant. I guess we'll need to see what BI have planned - they must be well aware of that. Also they're only flying 2 x daily versus the 4 x daily that Flybe had at the peak.

Sharklet_321
13th Mar 2020, 14:07
OK but whether it was codeshares or connections these are neither things offered by Blue Islands as far as I know. I certainly wish them luck - will be interesting to see how it pans out. To be honest I think an EXT-LHR would've been better.

OzzyOzBorn
13th Mar 2020, 16:13
It should not be difficult for Loganair and Blue Islands to reach an interline agreement if they so wish. It would be mutually beneficial. In terms of route selection, Exeter to London and Exeter to Manchester represent negligible overlap. A decision to serve one of those routes does not mean that a service to the other cannot be introduced.

GAXLN
13th Mar 2020, 16:28
OK but whether it was codeshares or connections these are neither things offered by Blue Islands as far as I know. I certainly wish them luck - will be interesting to see how it pans out. To be honest I think an EXT-LHR would've been better.

The train from Exeter to Paddington with a connection to Heathrow Express runs about twice an hour and takes just over three hours. For an air service to be effective competition it would need to run at least every two hours throughout the day. I suspect no carrier would be willing to take that risk, especially given Heathrow's charges.

Irish Cream
13th Mar 2020, 18:41
A flight from Exeter to London would not just be about people from Exeter. It would appeal to people from west of the city - the connection to Heathrow for those people is currently not easy, cheap or fast.

GAXLN
13th Mar 2020, 21:12
A flight from Exeter to London would not just be about people from Exeter. It would appeal to people from west of the city - the connection to Heathrow for those people is currently not easy, cheap or fast.

Well that does not fundamentally change the rail vs. air calculation and don't forget check in times for flights. Do you honestly expect an air service to Heathrow will be cheaper than the train most of the time? Air from Exeter to Heathrow will just not work. Sadly, the train really does beat the plane in this instance.

EGTE
13th Mar 2020, 22:49
Historically, on the rare occasions that services have operated between Exeter and Heathrow, they've not lasted long. London City, on the other hand worked for Flybe. Presumably helped by the additional time taken to transit from Paddington into the City negating the train's apparent speed advantage.

GAXLN
14th Mar 2020, 07:24
No inside information on this but perhaps it worked as a bit of a vanity route for the Flybe management to be able to reach London without taking the train and for important visitors to do the same in reverse. To make LCY work you need yield and plenty of it. A recent article has suggested this was sadly not Flybe’s forte.

PDXCWL45
14th Mar 2020, 08:11
No inside information on this but perhaps it worked as a bit of a vanity route for the Flybe management to be able to reach London without taking the train and for important visitors to do the same in reverse. To make LCY work you need yield and plenty of it. A recent article has suggested this was sadly not Flybe’s forte.
It was a positioning flight for firstly Paris and then Amsterdam. Aircraft did EXT-LCY-AMS-EXT then EXT-AMS-LCY-EXT except weekends

GAXLN
14th Mar 2020, 10:53
An expensive positioning flight then.

JobsaGoodun
14th Mar 2020, 15:01
It was a positioning flight for firstly Paris and then Amsterdam. Aircraft did EXT-LCY-AMS-EXT then EXT-AMS-LCY-EXT except weekends

Not really. In the end it was cleverly planned to cater for the directionality of normal travel. With few people wanting to travel from London to Exeter, it was scheduled to cater for the many more passengers wanting to go to the capital instead facilitating a day return option without needing to operate the quieter flights in the opposite direction.

adfly
11th Apr 2020, 12:41
Front page of the Blue Islands website has an advert confirming that they plan to operate EXT-MAN twice daily, with the start date remaining tbc for the time being, for obvious reasons. I assume the planned based aircraft will also operate the EXT-JER flight in between. However that will still leave a fairly sizeable gap where they could fit another flight - possibly AMS/CDG/DUB, or a third MAN flight (less likely in my opinion) depending on how demand picks up?

EXT-JER is currently scheduled to restart on 18/05 (unlikely to be a set in stone date) operating 6 weekly, then 5 weekly in June, 6 weekly for July/August and finally daily for September/October (bookable until 24/10 currently).

MARKEYD
11th Apr 2020, 14:07
Good news regarding Blue Islands continuing the Manchester link

TUI have quietly dropped the Sharm el Sheik route for the winter and also from Bournemouth

Ryanair are continuing Alicante and Malaga throughout the winter 2 x a week , however Malta looks to have been dropped for the winter season

BHX5DME
22nd May 2020, 20:14
Rumours of them going bust ?

cornishsimon
22nd May 2020, 20:55

as in Capitol air ambulance ?

where have these rumors come from ?

cs

Whispering Giant
23rd May 2020, 05:08

Somehow I don’t think so, their owned by Peter Rigby, owner of British International Helicopters.
Capital have been very busy, with this Covid19 outbreak, transporting patients and repatriating others.
so if I were you I wouldn’t spread unfounded rumours.

Rutan16
23rd May 2020, 09:35
You don’t if you have an ounce of sanity go into London; No you hop off in Reading and get the coach !

fjencl
18th Jun 2020, 17:57
Was Blue Islands thinking of opening a base here ???

Cloud1
18th Jun 2020, 18:11
Was Blue Islands thinking of opening a base here ???

Yes and I think they still are, double daily MAN and the CI (I assume JER)

cuthere
23rd Jul 2020, 09:28
EI Regional are taking on BHD to Exeter. Appears an announcement is imminent as flights are loaded in the EI website.

Jersey32D
23rd Jul 2020, 10:10
Confirmed, 4x weekly commencing 28th August. To operate daily Summer 2021.

EGTE
23rd Jul 2020, 17:25
Capital have been disposing of their Learjets which have departed from Exeter this week. It appears that The Rigby Group has decided to close the whole operation down over the next few weeks.

MARKEYD
23rd Jul 2020, 18:43
Ryanair have dropped the frequency of the Malaga and Alicante route to just 1 flight each week for the winter period

TUI have dropped the Tenerife frequency down to 2 flights a week for the winter season , Wednesday flight now cancelled

cornishsimon
23rd Jul 2020, 22:13
Hmmmm both lj’s are still registered to the group.

I haven’t time to go Through g-info for each feame

do you have a source to suggest that capitol is being closed down. ?

Dropoffcharge
23rd Jul 2020, 23:51
EGTE

And apparently moving the operation to Bournemouth.

EGTE
24th Jul 2020, 06:58
Cornish Simon - the info comes from speaking to employees at Exeter who have lost, or are about to lose, their jobs.

Wycombe
24th Jul 2020, 07:33
I read that Capital lost a medical flights contract in the Channel Isles to Gama.

EGTE
24th Jul 2020, 08:30
I understand that GAMA have replaced Capital as the Channel Islands air ambulance provider as a result of Capital's impending shut-down.
The Capital guys indicated that their operations in the Channel Islands were only continuing until a replacement operator could be found.
And now it has.

s_insania
24th Jul 2020, 12:56
From what I have read Gama have taken over but will use Capital’s assets and key personnel, i.e the King Air‘s and crews

flatron
24th Jul 2020, 16:58
Gama have been awarded the contract as Capital are closing. All staff have been served redundancy notice and once the transfer has completed, the company will close fully.
I'm not sure where people have read that Capital lost the contract, they simply are no longer in a position to continue trading and have been in talks with the islands for months to find a solution.

This information comes from speaking with staff from Capital who like many are left at a loss and searching for work.

888Flyer
24th Jul 2020, 21:24
Just so we're clear, Capital Air Ambulance has not gone bust, but is currently in the process of a controlled wind-down to closure. A large percentage of the Company is owned by the Rigby Group PLC, the same Group which owns BIH at Newquay, Bournemouth, Coventry, Exeter and Norwich Airports. Naturally, the aviation industry has taken a huge hit with the Coronavirus pandemic. The Rigby Group have had to make some decisions regarding their 'aviation portfolio'. This will be obvious when you see what's happening with their Airports as well.

With nobody flying abroad, that put Capital in a very difficult situation as most of its work was based around repatriation work from overseas. Despite efforts to keep going through the Coronavirus pandemic, with a large percentage of staff initially furloughed, whilst some repatriations continued, including patients with the virus, with the various aviation restrictions coming more and more in to place, work came to an end. Only the Channel Islands contracts remained, and then on special measures to ensure they could continue. Those alone were not enough. The Company employees were told that the Group had made the decision to divest itself of Capital, and that there would be a planned wind down process. Some might say the 'rug was pulled'.

All staff have been made redundant, some were transferred by agreement to GAMA and others were given an option to go to GAMA. By agreement of the Channel Islands health authorities, GAMA have taken over the contracts. They were not 'won'; or lost as stated in reports, but it was done via a mutually negotiated arrangement with all concerned parties.

Currently, a small Capital team are in situ to assist with the transfer of the Channel Islands contracts across to GAMA and help them through the workings. The apparent final date is the 31st August, if not before. At that point Capital Air Ambulance will effectively cease trading.

As some of you have said, various aircraft have left Exeter. Apart from 2 King Airs that GAMA are buying, and one that they are leasing, all other aircraft are on the market for sale. One Lear was sold a few weeks ago.

As you may imagine, it is an incredibly difficult and sad time for the Capital team. Wild and inaccurate speculation does not help.

In case anyone asks, this comes directly from a Capital (now former) employee, so not rumour or hearsay.

Cloud1
29th Jul 2020, 06:51
I am quite surprised that domestic air links haven’t been restored sooner for both Exeter and Newquay, given the demand for staycations now vs going abroad. Devon and Cornwall are slowly opening back up and I am sure there are many around the country who would spend the money for a break, avoiding lengthy car journeys.

adfly
11th Aug 2020, 22:23
Blue Islands now are now only flying 3 weekly flights to Manchester from 1st Sept as a tag from the Jersey route that starts on the same day.

However, the route is now due to operate 12 weekly (2x Mon-Fri, 1x Sat/Sun) from 26th October with the timings indicating a based aircraft being used for this. Good news for Exeter and hopefully a few of the ex Flybe staff will be taken on as part of this. I wonder if they will consider operating a Dublin route as well as they have planned from Southampton?

SeanM1997
8th Sep 2020, 19:39
Loganair to launch Glasgow-Exeter from 28 March 2021. Initially 6x weekly flights increasing to daily flights from 17 April 2021

adfly
8th Sep 2020, 19:43
Next summer is starting to look a bit more promising in terms of replacing Flybe with the following now on sale:

Aer Lingus Regional

Belfast City - 7 weekly AT7

Blue Islands (1x AT7 based)

Manchester - 14 weekly (2x Mon-Wed, 3x Thurs/Fri, 1x Sat/Sun)
Jersey - 7 weekly

Loganair

Aberdeen - 4 weekly ER3 (via Newcastle)
Edinburgh - 7 weekly ER4
Glasgow - 7 weekly ER4
Newcastle - 7 weekly ER3

Hopefully Blue Islands will consider EXT-DUB to fill the gaps in the schedule for the based aircraft.

EGTE
29th Sep 2020, 18:04
Exeter Aerospace is the name of a new maintenance setup formed at Exeter Airport by the Dublin Aerospace Group.
They have a lease on the former Flybe Engineering hangar and are recruiting 100 staff to start the operation. That figure could rise to 250 over the next several years should demand dictate.

The announcement on the Exeter Airport web page is here Exeter Aerospace (https://www.exeter-airport.co.uk/aviation-maintenance-company-exeter-aerospace-opens-its-doors-at-exeter-airport/)

adfly
30th Sep 2020, 06:49
This is excellent news for the South West. With Blue Islands also apparently hiring about 20 staff when their base starts in late October as well hopefully they'll be more skilled aviation jobs that will be available for the ex Flybe staff.

Out of interest, does anyone know roughly how many people Flybe employed in Exeter as part of its base at and also in the maintenance facility?

BAladdy
30th Sep 2020, 14:23
Loganair have added an additional flight on a Friday to NCL for S21. Flights will now operate 8 x Weekly using a ER3

horatio_b
30th Sep 2020, 15:10
According to this link, Flybe Maintenance employed more than 500 at Exeter

https://www.linkedin.com/company/flybe-aviation-services

adfly
30th Sep 2020, 16:54
Still a long way to go then, but a promising start. Unfortunately it looks like Blue Islands have put their base back to S21 now as they have with Southampton, so MAN and JER will continue at 3 weekly over the winter. Probably a sensible idea considering the govt are now playing whack-a-mole with local 'lockdowns' as well as the quarantine matters but a shame to see nonetheless...

southside bobby
1st Oct 2020, 08:41
Meanwhile in reality a funding package worth nearly £1m designed to ensure Exeter Airport can avoid the worst case scenario of closure has been unanimously backed at East Devon District Council cabinet meeting Wednesday night.

LGS6753
1st Oct 2020, 20:09
The Telegraph is reporting that Exeter had nine (yes, 9) passengers in May.

Business rates amount to £620,000.

No wonder they needed a bung from EDDC.

AirportPlanner1
1st Oct 2020, 20:16
What operated in May to account for the nine? Private? IOS?

EGTE
1st Oct 2020, 21:13
Must have been private - there were no scheduled services of any sort during May 2020.

MARKEYD
14th Oct 2020, 18:59
Ryanair have had a tidy up of their routes and it looks like for next summer 2021 that Malta and Naples have been dropped and Malaga and Alicante continue at X 2 a week

This winter sees Alicante and Malaga operate at just X1 per week

MARKEYD
16th Oct 2020, 10:29
Further to the above post it looks like Ryanair are axing both Malaga and Alicante this winter as nothing on sale now until end of March

southside bobby
11th Nov 2020, 14:46
Airport MD announces his departure.

shamrock7seal
12th Nov 2020, 09:55
The timing couldn't be more interesting given the Jet2 expansion at BRS. Surely will affect EXT very negatively.

EGTE
18th Mar 2021, 20:40
Electric powered aeroplanes will be tested between Exeter and Newquay airports.
Looking forward to seeing the Electric EEL!

UK's first electric commuter flight will depart from Exeter Airport (https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/uks-first-electric-commuter-flight-5199954)

EGTE
14th Apr 2021, 18:57
Loganair are to reinstate the Exeter to Norwich service from July the 12th.
4 times weekly during the summer then twice-weekly during the winter.

Loganair - Exeter to Norwich (https://www.exeter-airport.co.uk/loganair-boosts-uk-regional-connectivity-with-new-east-anglia-to-south-west-direct-air-link/)

flybeboy
23rd Apr 2021, 11:52
Aer lingus to op exec Dublin route 4 x week mon thur fri sun

MARKEYD
30th Jan 2022, 09:05
Looks like Blue Islands are terminating the Manchester link from February, so much for the 2x daily flight they had initially offered

TUI have dropped the weekly Tenerife flight for the summer , quite surprised as always a popular route

Rutan16
30th Jan 2022, 09:50
Looks like Blue Islands are terminating the Manchester link from February, so much for the 2x daily flight they had initially offered

TUI have dropped the weekly Tenerife flight for the summer , quite surprised as always a popular route

Suspect they may have some information re a certain phoenix operation

BA318
30th Jan 2022, 10:14
Suspect they may have some information re a certain phoenix operation

I doubt they are dropping the route because of Flybe before they have even announced it or selling tickets. Likely it just doesn’t perform.

wanna
30th Jan 2022, 11:18
I doubt they are dropping the route because of Flybe before they have even announced it or selling tickets. Likely it just doesn’t perform.

It was posted within the Flybe thred that Blue Islands has been offered to buy Flybe mk2, could be to do with that. Blue Islands could be in the process of buying the new flybe, operating them within the U.K whilst keeping the Blue islands brand for the channel islands where its strongest.

EGTE
30th Jan 2022, 18:22
Flybe 1.0 operated EXT-MAN and return twice daily - on occasions three times daily. That enabled day return trips and built a loyal passenger following. It was probably their busiest route out of Exeter.
Blue Islands operated the service 3 days a week with only the one flight. That mean no chance of a day-return and the necessity for a couple of night's hotel accommodation adding to the expense.
I would imagine that such an unattractive offering from Blue Islands has lead to the service's demise.

MARKEYD
30th Jan 2022, 19:28
The same thing has happened to Southampton, it’s gone from one of the top performing routes to the worst since Covid and Flybe
A single Loganair J41 a day , even worse than Exeter

Skipness One Foxtrot
30th Jan 2022, 19:31
Domestic flying for business remains on it's backside because of recent Govt Guidance to work from home which has only now been lifted again. Blue Islands can fly the route as you propose but cannot fill it until normality beckons and that will take time and encouragement. Unlike leisure travel with huge pent up demand, many business travellers have no pressing wish to get back on the road again.

shamrock7seal
31st Jan 2022, 12:56
I think the route was cut because:

1) We are still in a pandemic with 'work from home' still happening - this has totally changed the market. There is NO NEED OR DEMAND for a double daily return anymore even if it was Flybe
2) Pre-pandemic, this route offered onward connections on Flybe to Scotland, Blue Islands wouldn't have had the same pull
3) Blue islands in general would have suffered somewhat from a lack of awareness and must spend a lot more on marketing than perhaps Flybe in the past generating interest for such a route
4) Road travel has become quite important during the pandemic as it offers people the comfort of being secluded in their own bubble rather than forced to wear masks and sit next to people with all the social distancing still going on

L1011effoh
1st Feb 2022, 11:35
The same thing has happened to Southampton. . .
A single Loganair J41 a day , even worse than Exeter
I know it’s off topic, but presumably you mean Eastern. As others have said, most likely due to the decline in business travel.

SKOJB
1st Feb 2022, 12:24
I know it’s off topic, but presumably you mean Eastern. As others have said, most likely due to the decline in business travel.

MAN from SOU was not so long ago the airports busiest route with over 200k pa and up to x 6 daily. How times have changed!

SotonFlightpath
1st Feb 2022, 17:21
I would echo much of what has been said so far, and I think we shall never see domestic air travel return to previous levels - except perhaps to/from Northern Ireland.
For people who routinely used domestic flights, a large amount of working from home will be a permanent 'new normal'. And with that, these same people have now realised what a complete faff it was to get up at some ungodly hour of the night/morning, and drive in the freezing rain to an airport, hang-around and grab a tasteless luke-warm beverage (is this a coffee, or just the wastewater from the dishwasher?), possibly queue to get on a hot stuffy bus to be taken the remote area where the turbo-props are hidden from public gaze, endure an hour or more of tooth-rattling vibration, followed by the frustration of finding the booked hire car is not available, and has been substituted with some tinny contraption resembling a cartoon car with all the power of an asthmatic donkey, through which one has to do battle with heavy traffic on the way to the client all for a two-hour meeting.
Rinse and repeat in reverse on the way home. I know, I've done it hundreds of times!
Thank goodness those days have ended - and I, and my colleagues, hope we never have to endure this utter waste of time again.

SWBKCB
1st Feb 2022, 17:32
The 'glamour' of business travel - nailed it! :ok:

adfly
5th Oct 2022, 21:40
Loganair are to increase Edinburgh to 12 weekly (2x Mon-Fri) from next summer.

MARKEYD
25th Oct 2022, 08:58
Bit of a mixed bag going on at Exeter for next summer

Ryanair

There routes to Alicante and Malaga are continuing both 2 x week same as this summer , no news of any new routes yet ( they launched with high hopes to Malta and Naples pre Covid )

TUI

Looks like they have pulled both the Ibiza and Tenerife routes as both now off sale for summer 23
Looks to be a gap though on Wednesday to fill with the TUI based aircraft , possibly the Palma flight could be a fit rather than use Alba Star again ( very poor timekeeping this summer)
Tenerife also pulled for the second time , was using Aer Europa

Extra flights next summer to Antalya 2 x week new for 23 , probably using Freebird A320

SealinkBF
22nd Dec 2022, 11:07
Ryanair has announced a new Exeter flight to Faro for summer 2023.

Twice weekly from June as part of the summer 2023 schedule.

MARKEYD
22nd Dec 2022, 14:22
Already an Exeter thread on here

EGTE
22nd Dec 2022, 19:47
Yes there is.....but that thread doesn't have any upper case characters in its title.

SealinkBF
24th Dec 2022, 04:25
Already an Exeter thread on here

Searched for it

Skipness One Foxtrot
24th Aug 2023, 14:37
Looking at having a trip on the IOS Skybus but fares out of EXT are north pf £500 return, some way even more expensive than the similar Twin Otter operations of Loganair. Am I being thick or is that the going rate? Any good ideas on savings or workarounds? Love to do it but cannot justify a trip based on that price point.

rog747
24th Aug 2023, 14:44
Looking at having a trip on the IOS Skybus but fares out of EXT are north pf £500 return, some way even more expensive than the similar Twin Otter operations of Loganair. Am I being thick or is that the going rate? Any good ideas on savings or workarounds? Love to do it but cannot justify a trip based on that price point.

Yes EXT flights to St Marys are a fortune - but it's an hour almost in a Twotter - We drove to NQY which is quite fast down the A30 then branch off and we paid £500 return for 2 pax and 2 little chihuahuas.

davidjohnson6
24th Aug 2023, 14:54
Take the train down to Penzance rail station, and fly from either Land's End or Penzance Heliport - it'll save a fortune. Personally I thought Land's End airport was more fun than Penzance heliport but YMMV. You may wish to take the 6 pm train from Paddington to Penzance - it'll get you to Penzance about midnight, but if you book a B&B, you'll get a proper night's sleep, and be able to enjoy the ride to/from Scilly.
Tresco gardens are beautiful, but I think September might be a little too late in the season - late June or early July is probably better. You might be better off flying to/from St Mary's instead if you're thinking of going in 2023. Even if you do go just to St Mary's, you may wish to think about deferring your Scilly trip to June/July 2024 - see the average climate data below.
You *really* need a good sunny day to appreciate the ride - be prepared to study some weather forecasts, and ensure the train tickets to/from London and the flight to/from Scilly are changeable without fees until just a couple of days beforehand. Depending on preference, you may want to ensure you are flying when it's low tide to get a better view of the beaches. Popular times for flying book up in advance. AFAIK, Scilly is not CAT III - and the Atlantic is rather larger than the islands with corresponding influence.
Have a look at Penzance Helicopters in addition to IOS Skybus - they're not cheap but you may find they work better for you.
Before visiting Scilly, everyone thinks "islands are small, don't need long there" - but if it's a nice sunny day, everyone wishes they had allowed longer on Scilly when it's time to leave - the islands are truly beautiful. That said, Scilly (and especially Tresco) is not a cheap place to visit - and accommodation is expensive. If you're going for a day trip, consider the first flight of the morning... and the last flight of the afternoon while allowing a bit of margin time in case of delays to get the train back to London

You might find more info at
https://www.pprune.org/airlines-airports-routes/466286-scilly-isles-route.html
https://www.pprune.org/airlines-airports-routes/638936-isles-scilly-route-2-a.html
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/climate/maps-and-data/uk-climate-averages/gbgebz4kn
https://weatherspark.com/y/147696/Average-Weather-at-St-Mary's-Airport-United-Kingdom-Year-Round

rog747
25th Aug 2023, 06:27
Or take the Sleeper from Paddington around 23:00, also picks up at Reading (The Night Rivera) and wake up in Cornwall -
Skybus lay on a coach at PNZ to connect with the first flights from Lands End.
The Sleeper is great, and Berths are very comfy.
Railcards will give you a discount too.

The EXT-ISC flights are very handy, and give you a nice long jaunt in a Twotter (they sometimes call in at NQY, so you get 2 bumps and jumps) but you have to pay the £££ for it.
No dogs on the EXT flights BTW.

Asturias56
25th Aug 2023, 07:14
the sleeper is OK but a goods night sleep is not guaranteed I'm afraid

rog747
25th Aug 2023, 07:24
the sleeper is OK but a goods night sleep is not guaranteed I'm afraid

Did the Night Riviera a couple of months ago and I slept very well - waking up to crossing the Tamar Bridge was super, then rolling in to PNZ at Marazion and a nce view of St Michael's Mount (worth a visit)

Also I did the Simplon Orient Express last weekend to Venice, and I slept like a log -
Woke up just before 7am, opened my blind to spectacular views of Lakes and Mountains, near Interlaken.
Fabulous French breakfast, avec Les Oeufs served in my Compartment at 8am.
My Sleep was possibly assisted by 2 large pre-dinner G&T's in the Piano Bar Lounge Car, then Cristal Champagne with Canapes, and then a rather nice bottle of cold Chablis with a most amazing 5 course Dinner with Tsar Imperial Beluga Caviar to start.

Just to rub it in LOL

Asturias56
25th Aug 2023, 13:20
I slept well on the 'Ghan, not very well on French Railways, but yes a beer or two certainly helps

jensdad
25th Aug 2023, 18:11
I actually looked at going to Scilly this year, but with the demise of flybe on the Newcastle-Exeter route, and a 50% increase, since my previous trip there in 2018, in the price of a flight & ferry combo I just couldn't justify the expense. For a bit of fun, I looked at a Newcastle-Toronto return via LHR on the dates I was looking at for Scilly, and once I'd included the necessity of at least one night in Penzance, there was only a few quid difference in price.
A shame; as davidjohnson has said, Scilly is a very special place, but unfortunately due to the pricing of travel there it literally is a 'one-off' holiday in the nature of what a trip to Canada was for me in 2003. Having said that, it is still worth going there for that 'one-off' trip. It sticks in the throat, though, to pay over £150 for a return trip of the same distance as Loganair in Orkney do for £30-odd.

MARKEYD
15th Oct 2023, 10:43
TUI seem to have taken the axe to there summer 24 schedule

Gone completely is Antalya which was 2 services a week and Dalaman is now down to 2 flights a week was showing 3

Rhodes & Heraklion back to just 1 service a week was showing an extra flight to each destination

No flights at all to TFS , LPA or ACE in the summer

Ryanair meanwhile have increased the ALC service to 3 x week and AGP stays at 2 x week
FAO not loaded yet

Dropoffcharge
17th Oct 2023, 18:02
TUI seem to have taken the axe to there summer 24 schedule

Do you think this is partly due to BOH increasing to a 2x A/C base for next summer?...After all the airports catchments must overlap quite a bit, also both being owned by the RCA group.

Flitefone
17th Oct 2023, 18:30
Do you think this is partly due to BOH increasing to a 2x A/C base for next summer?...After all the airports catchments must overlap quite a bit, also both being owned by the RCA group.

Exeter is about an hour drive to Bristol Airport the real competition/option for Devonians.

Exeter like Bristol is generally 2 hours drive away from BOH, its easier and quicker to get to LHR from BOH. Bigger things in play at TUI perhaps.

rog747
12th Nov 2023, 09:29
I actually looked at going to Scilly this year, but with the demise of flybe on the Newcastle-Exeter route, and a 50% increase, since my previous trip there in 2018, in the price of a flight & ferry combo I just couldn't justify the expense. For a bit of fun, I looked at a Newcastle-Toronto return via LHR on the dates I was looking at for Scilly, and once I'd included the necessity of at least one night in Penzance, there was only a few quid difference in price.
A shame; as davidjohnson has said, Scilly is a very special place, but unfortunately due to the pricing of travel there it literally is a 'one-off' holiday in the nature of what a trip to Canada was for me in 2003. Having said that, it is still worth going there for that 'one-off' trip. It sticks in the throat, though, to pay over £150 for a return trip of the same distance as Loganair in Orkney do for £30-odd.

Isles of Scilly skybus airlines are offering up to 15% off Exeter - ISC flights for next summer if you book before the end of November

15% off codes (https://www.islesofscilly-travel.co.uk/offer/limited-time-offer/?utm_source=source&utm_medium=medium&utm_campaign=campaign&utm_content=image&utm_source=jarrang&utm_medium=email&utm_content=main&utm_campaign=JARRANGOctoberC02)

jensdad
12th Nov 2023, 18:40
Isles of Scilly skybus airlines are offering up to 15% off Exeter - ISC flights for next summer if you book before the end of November

15% off codes (https://www.islesofscilly-travel.co.uk/offer/limited-time-offer/?utm_source=source&utm_medium=medium&utm_campaign=campaign&utm_content=image&utm_source=jarrang&utm_medium=email&utm_content=main&utm_campaign=JARRANGOctoberC02)
Thanks very much for tipping me off on that, rog. Already got a trip to Orkney planned for next year but I'll have a look. I know the EXT-ISc flights are a lot more expensive than doing it from Panzance, but going from EXT might eliminate the need for a night on the mainland...
Thanks again.

Markushillman
29th Nov 2023, 17:10
Ryanair have added flights to Palma Mallorca from the 2nd May 24

FR4581 PMI 1205-1325 EXT (Thu)
FR4581 PMI 1530-1650 EXT (Mon)
FR4582 EXT 1350-17P0 PMI (Thu)
FR4582 EXT 1715-2025 PMI (Mon)

Credit goes to SeanM1997 on X

Markushillman
22nd Feb 2024, 11:40
Credit as always to the excellent SeanM1997 on X.

Loganair to end its Glasgow route from March 29th

Leaving Edinburgh and Newcastle as the Loganair routes from the airport.

fanrailuk
3rd Apr 2024, 06:24
Tui adds 345,000 seats to summer 2025 programme (http://travelweekly.co.uk/news/air/tui-adds-300000-seats-to-summer-2025-programme)

EXT to gain a second based TUI

“The airport gains a new route to Ibiza, plus year-round flying to Tenerife and Lanzarote. Antalya, Heraklion, Paphos and Rhodes will now operate twice a week, giving Exeter passengers the opportunity to book 10- and 11-night holidays.”

Markushillman
3rd Apr 2024, 06:45
Tui adds 345,000 seats to summer 2025 programme (http://travelweekly.co.uk/news/air/tui-adds-300000-seats-to-summer-2025-programme)

EXT to gain a second based TUI

“The airport gains a new route to Ibiza, plus year-round flying to Tenerife and Lanzarote. Antalya, Heraklion, Paphos and Rhodes will now operate twice a week, giving Exeter passengers the opportunity to book 10- and 11-night holidays.”

Brilliant news for Exeter and getting a second based aircraft, additional 80,000 seats will be most welcome

SWBKCB
3rd Apr 2024, 06:52
Rigby on a roll!

Markushillman
3rd Apr 2024, 06:58
Rigby on a roll!

Exactly my thoughts

rog747
3rd Apr 2024, 07:06
Great news, I was only saying on the BOH thread a couple of days ago that:
''Locally, EXT Exeter Airport is weak, with only TUI offering 'mirror image Packages' flying from there, with only one based 737 with no planned growth expected (TUI at EXT was to have increased to two aircraft pre-Pandemic). Exeter are possibly at their lowest point in decades in offering Package Holidays.''

So TUI will now have 2 planes each based at EXT and BOH for S25.
That's more like it.

Markushillman
3rd Apr 2024, 08:05
Great news, I was only saying on the BOH thread a couple of days ago that:
''Locally, EXT Exeter Airport is weak, with only TUI offering 'mirror image Packages' flying from there, with only one based 737 with no planned growth expected (TUI at EXT was to have increased to two aircraft pre-Pandemic). Exeter are possibly at their lowest point in decades in offering Package Holidays.''

So TUI will now have 2 planes each based at EXT and BOH for S25.
That's more like it.

The Rigby group/RCA have done a brilliant job at all 3 of there main airports EXT, BOU and NWI in pursuing growth in some form over recent times and onwards into the future as seen for 2025. whilst continuing to make a profit for their aviation division. Fantastic stuff