PDA

View Full Version : London Underground Question

c-bert
26th Mar 2018, 14:09
OK Ppruners, I'm sure someone here knows the answer. I infrequently travel to London from the south arriving in Waterloo and then need to get to Embankment for the circle line. Something that's been bothering me for ages is whether it's quicker to take the Northern line across the river, or the Bakerloo?

Anyone know if there's a materiel difference? :8

Carry0nLuggage
26th Mar 2018, 14:32
For the Bakerloo, Northern and Jubilee lines you're only looking at one stop. The Tube map seems to show a more direct connection for the Bakerloo than for the other two though. If it's a fine day and you've got 10 mins, why not walk?

Highway1
26th Mar 2018, 15:05
are we playing Mornington Crescent again?

uffington sb
26th Mar 2018, 15:31
The Tube map is just a simplified diagram where the scale may not be accurate.
Try this one.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.timeout.com/london/blog/tfl-has-secretly-made-a-geographically-accurate-tube-map-091515/amp

Espada III
26th Mar 2018, 15:41
Try this

https://tfl.gov.uk/plan-a-journey/

And dont put in the stations, merely the addresses at the start and end of the journey.

rog747
26th Mar 2018, 15:47
dont take jubilee as the walk to the platforms at WAT is about half a mile

bakerloo is quickest - less walking to platforms

what's your final destn?

G-CPTN
26th Mar 2018, 15:49
Perhaps the answer is buried in the time taken to reach the platform(s) and the frequency of the trains?

rog747
26th Mar 2018, 15:58
Perhaps the answer is buried in the time taken to reach the platform(s) and the frequency of the trains?

indeed bakerloo is closest from mainline and trains are very 2-3 mins

G-CPTN
26th Mar 2018, 16:06
I have, in the past, felt that walking above ground might have been quicker when trying to reach South Kensington.

Walking times between stations on the same line (http://content.tfl.gov.uk/walking-tube-map.pdf).

davews
26th Mar 2018, 18:12
When I go to S Kensington I get off the train at Clapham Junction and catch the bus - OK takes about half an hour but free with a pensioners bus pass.

DaveReidUK
26th Mar 2018, 18:20
Waterloo to Embankment is a nice walk over the Thames and, depending on the time of day may be better than dealing with the hoards going down the tube.

Recommended at sunset. :O

ehwatezedoing
26th Mar 2018, 18:44
Did you check the Orthodromic route? :p

DaveReidUK
26th Mar 2018, 19:03
The Tube map is just a simplified diagram where the scale may not be accurate.
Try this one.

Or both:

https://giant.gfycat.com/AthleticTotalHuman.gif

Fareastdriver
26th Mar 2018, 19:31
Should you ever go to Shenzhen in China, next door to Hong Kong, if you are over sixty five you can show it at the security gate and travel for free.

Sultan Ismail
26th Mar 2018, 20:48
Should you ever go to Shenzhen in China, next door to Hong Kong, if you are over sixty five you can show it at the security gate and travel for free.

Show what?

gruntie
26th Mar 2018, 21:00
Recommended at sunset. :O

The very first record I bought.......by one of the best bands ever invented.

c-bert
27th Mar 2018, 06:32
Thanks for the replies. Off to Tower Bridge...Bakerloo definitely looks a bit shorter on the actual maps. I'll give it a go today.

davews
27th Mar 2018, 07:35
Waterloo to Tower Bridge - bus RV1 from York Road. Or Waterloo East to London Bridge (travel card or your London Termini train ticket) then short walk or tube. Very pleasant walk back along the Thames.

rog747
27th Mar 2018, 08:04
or take a boat from waterloo pier - very nice too

Kiltrash
27th Mar 2018, 08:47
All depends on the priority

Speed, Comfort, Price or Wellbeing

For me its avoid the hoards...that's what the bad people target

Dont forget UBER

Fareastdriver
27th Mar 2018, 09:42
Shenzhen Metro; show your passport.

Pegpilot
28th Mar 2018, 11:31
I've come to this debate a bit late, but as an ex tube employee of 30 years here's my happorth if we're going to be completely anal about the challenge. From the working timetables, both the Northern and Bakerloo routes are 0.71 km, and whereas the Bakerloo is 1,5 min northbound and 2 min southbound, the Northern is 1.5 minutes in each direction (probably a permanent speed restriction on the Bakerloo SB). Both services have off-peak frequencies of 20 trains per hour, so platform wait time expectation is the same. So rog747 is probably right - the biggest differentiator is walking time at both stations, as both are laberiythine. And whereas the Bakerloo trains are still manually operated, the Northern is now autopilot controlled and very accurate it is too - it was amazing when I took part in the ATO trials for the same system on the Jubilee to see how the trains would come to a stop at precisely the same spot in the platform every time,