PDA

View Full Version : Co-ordinated security

John Marsh
26th Mar 2018, 14:30
WARNING! AVIATION CONTENT!

I just heard a surprising and disturbing account of a holidaymaker's return to the UK from Barbados.

According to him, security staff at Barbados carry out checks on passengers, as one would expect. Local residents are, however, permitted to wander straight through to the supposedly secure departure lounge.

This matter was raised with the UK Department for Transport. Their response was "There is no international standard for airport security."

Why not? Airways are kept safe in a standardised, co-ordinated manner.

It's not that there hasn't been ample evidence of the need for a standard.

Would I be right in assuming that attention to airport security is greatest in those nations which have experienced recent terrorist attacks, and their allies?

Who currently sets the (unofficial) standard in airport security? My experiences of security checks at TLV were not exactly pleasant, but I did feel safe as a result.

lomapaseo
26th Mar 2018, 14:45
Who currently sets the (unofficial) standard in airport security?

The arriving country

Espada III
26th Mar 2018, 16:29
WARNING! AVIATION CONTENT!

Who currently sets the (unofficial) standard in airport security? My experiences of security checks at TLV were not exactly pleasant, but I did feel safe as a result.

Curiously (or perhaps not), the profiling of passengers in TLV means that whilst everyone goes through some form of security questioning, some people are treated far more leniently than others due to the perceived threat.

Therefore, white people with some known antagonism to the State of Israel are given the third degree, as are almost all Muslims for obvious reasons, although sometimes, the security staff do get it wrong. Then one does want to shake ones head in disbelief at the stupidity, but then security doesn't do out of the box thinking.....

Pontius Navigator
26th Mar 2018, 16:53
I have been through security there several times. I have never seen a 'free' lane.

rog747
26th Mar 2018, 17:04
seen it twice last summer at greek island airports

pax all went through security but local cleaning staff/workmen and their bags, tools, kit, and cleaning stuff (liquids) all just walked around security check and scanners, so did the security personnel coming in on duty for a shift change

these are EU airports that both EZY and BA fly to and yet they will not fly to Sharm el Sheikh because our CAA and Govt think security there is not up to standards so safety cannot be guaranteed

hmmm something not right here

vapilot2004
26th Mar 2018, 18:29
This matter was raised with the UK Department for Transport. Their response was "There is no international standard for airport security."

Wouldn't ICAO Annex 17 and its subsequent documents on security (after Montreal) spell this out?