PDA

View Full Version : Qantas FO vs SO

LW20
25th Mar 2018, 21:20
Hi Folks,
what is the difference in QF between a First Officer compared to a Second Officer?
Is it seniority? Is the SO something like a cruise relief pilot who is only allowed in the right seat during cruise flight, or is can he do take offs and landings as well?

Thanks

LW20

AerocatS2A
25th Mar 2018, 21:31
SO is a cruise relief pilot.

Keg
25th Mar 2018, 21:32
QF long haul flights operate with Captain, F/O and either one or two S/Os depending on the sector length. The S/Os are Cruise relief only. In either seat above FL200.

Promotion to F/O on seniority and competence.

ruprecht
25th Mar 2018, 21:47
Promotion to F/O on seniority and competence.

...and willingness.

AmarokGTI
26th Mar 2018, 01:47
Hi Folks,
what is the difference in QF between a First Officer compared to a Second Officer?
Is it seniority? Is the SO something like a cruise relief pilot who is only allowed in the right seat during cruise flight, or is can he do take offs and landings as well?

Thanks

LW20

Easiest way to identify a Second Officer is on Instagram. All in flight photos will be with them in the left seat, accompanied by captions such as “I just ‘flew’ the old girl to London again tonight, now time for beers with the boys”

(In joke with SO mates. No need to post angry replies)

Keg
26th Mar 2018, 01:49
...and willingness.

Lol. Of course! :ok:

Capt Fathom
26th Mar 2018, 04:23
...and willingness
...to take a pay cut and work harder! :}

Keg
26th Mar 2018, 05:50
...to take a pay cut and work harder! :}

Lol. Only if they've been an A330 or 787 S/O more than 6-7 years. It's a decent pay rise for a 787 S/O on year's 1-4 and an A330 S/O less than 6 years.

There's no doubt it's much harder work though!

Glorified Dus Briver
26th Mar 2018, 06:07
Easiest way to identify a Second Officer is on Instagram. All in flight photos will be with them in the left seat, accompanied by captions such as “I just ‘flew’ the old girl to London again tonight, now time for beers with the boys”

(In joke with SO mates. No need to post angry replies)

:D:D:ok::ok:

LW20
26th Mar 2018, 07:03
Thanks for the quick replies.

Brgds.

LW20

C441
26th Mar 2018, 07:29
what is the difference in QF between a First Officer compared to a Second Officer

The S/O's the one who's eaten 3 crew meals, usually the fish and a breakfast, 2 steak sangas, done 5 hours straight in the bunk and come back in time for the left over First Class brekky and a quick sunrise selfie in the LH seat while the Captain goes for a pre-descent slash.…….

…..between Dubai and London or Singa's and Sydney.:ok:

itsnotthatbloodyhard
26th Mar 2018, 07:32
Well that was all very disappointing, after seeing the thread title and expecting to read about something like a punch-up over crew meals.

mrdeux
26th Mar 2018, 08:47
Well that was all very disappointing, after seeing the thread title and expecting to read about something like a punch-up over crew meals.

The record that I've seen is five meals in a sector......he had the SO stuff worked out for sure.

junior.VH-LFA
26th Mar 2018, 10:00
The S/O's the one who's eaten 3 crew meals, usually the fish and a breakfast, 2 steak sangas, done 5 hours straight in the bunk and come back in time for the left over First Class brekky and a quick sunrise selfie in the LH seat while the Captain goes for a pre-descent slash.…….

…..between Dubai and London or Singa's and Sydney.:ok:

Christ, sign me up.

Berealgetreal
26th Mar 2018, 10:14
Wow the crew meals sound different to ours. Most get sent back, very few eat them.

Ken Borough
26th Mar 2018, 12:17
You get good at being an SO after 17 years apparently

Does the time to F/O at Qantas take that long? What happens when a S/O is eligible for upgrade to F/O but declines to take it up after a reasonable time?

patty50
26th Mar 2018, 13:00
Does the time to F/O at Qantas take that long? What happens when a S/O is eligible for upgrade to F/O but declines to take it up after a reasonable time?

SO is a rank on a fleet at a base like everything else that can be bid for with attendant seniority considerations. Plenty of people don’t want FO unless on a particular plane at a particular base.

There are already ‘new’ hires who are 737 FOs.

clear to land
26th Mar 2018, 16:15
Lifestyle choice for sure-if you don't need any personal satisfaction from your flying 'job' or no professional ambition and have outside interests/family etc then I guess it works for some. Can't think of anything worse than not having a window seat -let alone for for years-even with outside interests there has to be a modicum of professional satisfaction!

cessnapete
26th Mar 2018, 16:54
Can't think of anything worse than training as a pilot and then my airline forbids me to fly the aircraft.
Do S/O's get a proper Type Rating or are they less qualified than an F/O?
In my Uk airline all pilots recruited are fully trained to operate as co-pilots in a two crew cockpit. Many of the shorter Long Haul trips on 777/787/744/A380 are operated with just two crew.
Extra crew are carried for crew rest requirements on longer trips, but all fully trained on the Type and share the landings as required for recency.
Presumably the S/O scenario is a cost saving exercise by the company.

Buckshot
26th Mar 2018, 20:27

As has been quoted elsewhere before, the SO is the one who is required to nod and smile politely as the skipper describes the renos to his 5 bedroom Point Piper home, all 110 strokes of his last round of golf and when questioned whether $3 million in cash is enough to retire on...

Tankengine
26th Mar 2018, 21:02
Hi Folks,
Is it seniority?

15% ............................

Berealgetreal
26th Mar 2018, 21:35
Post of the year goes to Buckshot

stormfury
26th Mar 2018, 22:25
As has been quoted elsewhere before, the SO is the one who is required to nod and smile politely as the skipper describes the renos to his 5 bedroom Point Piper home, all 110 strokes of his last round of golf and when questioned whether $3 million in cash is enough to retire on...

Bravo! The best post I’ve read in a long time!

mrdeux
26th Mar 2018, 22:59

SOs stopped doing that ages ago, though I still find they offer sexual advice.

Capt Fathom
26th Mar 2018, 23:13
the SO is the one who is required to nod and smile politely as the skipper describes the renos to his 5 bedroom Point Piper home, all 110 strokes of his last round of golf and when questioned whether $3 million in cash is enough to retire on...

An unlikely story.....

As the Captain would be divorced and living in a unit with his 25 yo girlfriend, be a member at the local public golf course, and working at 75 to recoup some retirement money :}

Glorified Dus Briver
26th Mar 2018, 23:28

You forgot the fact that the SO gets to do their proficiency check at Flight Experience :}

romeocharlie
26th Mar 2018, 23:41

I've heard it's 8 million. :rolleyes: to be fair, that'll get you a semi in Bronte these days.

flash8
26th Mar 2018, 23:49
never take financial advice from another pilot.

That one needs to be +100'd

Octane
26th Mar 2018, 23:50
What % of pilots marry a flight attendant? I thought it would quite high, my brother did after courting a few of them!

Berealgetreal
27th Mar 2018, 00:10
Some sage advice for new recruits; don’t marry a flightie and never take financial advice from another pilot.

Whilst this is funny its actually spot on.

Capn Bloggs
27th Mar 2018, 02:46
I still find they offer sexual advice.
Only when asked?

Street garbage
27th Mar 2018, 05:03
Buckshot, you forgot about the part where the Captain say " I won't be having a coffee, but if you are shouting I will.."

mrdeux
27th Mar 2018, 05:28
Only once have I taken financial advice from a pilot and it was pretty :mad: good advice: stay married to your first wife.

1. Don't marry a hostie.

2. Keep your first wife.

C441
27th Mar 2018, 10:21
What % of pilots marry a flight attendant?

About 1.5% more than get divorced from them.

indamiddle
29th Mar 2018, 06:20
You nailed it!
(A)At hostie

training school the newbies are told to ignore the captains (divorced twice, no super left and supporting 4 kids for the next 25 years)and go for the fo/so (usually not at the same time). At least that was the case in 1979 and I am sure it hasn't changed since when I started f/a training.
(B) re captain's training advice, the first words usually start as "I've just started investing in this new scheme and it is fantastic......1. develop sudden deafness syndrome, adopting a confused and dumb look on your face. S/O ranks are famous for this and it can be used in many situations.
2. fart really loud and smelly, hitting a 6 is a bonus
3. as a last resort run screaming into the cabin faking a mental breakdown.
Good luck to all you wannabes. You are going to need it😇😎😂