PDA

View Full Version : Small pipe, big hole problem

Dudley Do Right
23rd Mar 2018, 22:02
Help, I need to fill my friend's diesel car from a jerry can but there is a device in the filler neck stopping the nozzle from going in! There is a safety device to stop you putting the wrong fuel in which I think measures the diameter of the pipe.

vapilot2004
23rd Mar 2018, 22:06
Usually, cars using unleaded fuels have a flap and a restrictor in place. Are you positive the friend's car runs on diesel and is not petrol powered?

If so, find a long, flexible necked funnel, Dudley. Happy Motoring!

anchorhold
23rd Mar 2018, 22:27
What about rolling up a newspaper, roll into cone, tape it up and you have a funnel. Other thoughts is to syphon it in ot maybe a traffic cone might suffice.

ZeBedie
23rd Mar 2018, 22:38
Other thoughts is to syphon it in

For sure, the most unpleasant thing I ever tasted was a mouthful of petrol. I wonder if diesel is even worse?

Ancient Mariner
23rd Mar 2018, 22:40
Plastic bottle/container, cut the bottom off.
Per

Curious Pax
23rd Mar 2018, 23:10
Have you checked for an adapter? From memory I think mine has one with the car tool kit (jack etc). Been a couple of years since I ran out of fuel so havenít used it since.

oxenos
24th Mar 2018, 00:04
I wonder if diesel is even worse?

It is. Much.

Lantern10
24th Mar 2018, 00:11
You need a jiggily hose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPa3uBNy3Jg

B Fraser
24th Mar 2018, 06:45
For a moment, I thought the agony aunt section had returned.

ExSp33db1rd
24th Mar 2018, 06:53
Plastic bottle/container, cut the bottom off.

Don't you mean the top, put the bit that held the screw cap as far as you can get it into the filler cap.

I also have the jiggly hose, works well.

My problem is syphoning in the reverse direction, i.e. getting fuel out, I can push plastic tube down the filler pipe, but the thinggy at the top stops me pulling out out again - at least I think it will, I've never been brave enough to try.

TheFiddler
24th Mar 2018, 08:22
Have you checked for an adapter? From memory I think mine has one with the car tool kit (jack etc). Been a couple of years since I ran out of fuel so havenít used it since.

Curious is right. Underneath my spare and with the jack is a cone shaped piece of plastic. Its the adaptor to overcome the restriction. Have a look...

tescoapp
24th Mar 2018, 09:57
I would check the fuel type of the car....

The tight nozzle fits and fancy lockouts tend to be on unleaded petrol tanks to stop you putting diesel in.

Unleaded nozzles will go into diesel tanks no problems.

Windy Militant
24th Mar 2018, 12:15
Adapter...

Have you checked for an adapter? From memory I think mine has one with the car tool kit (jack etc). Been a couple of years since I ran out of fuel so haven’t used it since.
Curious is right. Underneath my spare and with the jack is a cone shaped piece of plastic. Its the adaptor to overcome the restriction. Have a look...

Ooh! Is that what it is I thought it was a she pee! :O

Blues&twos
24th Mar 2018, 13:14
If my wife's car is similar to the OP's, the adaptor will have a specific diameter tube which pushes on some sort of release mechanism around the neck of the car's fuel filler tube. The diameter is the same a fuel pump nozzle for that particular fuel type. Using any old tube isn't possible.

57mm
24th Mar 2018, 13:55
I have a jiggly hose, but the Memsahib won't let me use it......

UniFoxOs
24th Mar 2018, 15:31
I can push plastic tube down the filler pipe, but the thinggy at the top stops me pulling out out again - at least I think it will, I've never been brave enough to try.

I've done this a few times. The flap has a rounded end so doesn't really grip that well - otherwise you wouldn't get the pump nozzle out. A syphon tube is usually smaller and softer than the pump nozzle so it does stand more chance of getting caught, but I can push the flap down with a long screwdriver to release it if it does.

Donkey497
24th Mar 2018, 21:22
Sounds like you need to take a quick trip in to Canadian Tire.....

FullOppositeRudder
24th Mar 2018, 22:27
Usually, cars using unleaded fuels have a flap and a restrictor in place. Are you positive the friend's car runs on diesel and is not petrol powered?

I agree with the above quoted observation. None of the diesel powered vehicles I have ever owned have a restrictor in the fuel fill pipe. Flaps and small diameter fill pipes are standard on petrol driven vehicles, and, as described are there to prevent filling such a vehicle with other than the specified fuel (petrol).

It's therefore almost impossible to misfuel a modern petrol vehicle unless one takes steps to defeat the safety provisions. It's perhaps easier in an absent minded moment to put petrol in a diesel vehicle. The results of this mistake will usually be very expensive if the 'dilution' reaches the engine, and is operated as such for any period of time.

FOR

G-CPTN
24th Mar 2018, 22:56
There is a 'flap' in the neck of the fuel tank of my diesel-engined car, but the pump nozzle pushes this out of the way.
Filling the tank 'to the brim' is a slow process, as the pump shuts off and I have to withdraw the nozzle and dribble the fuel in and wait for it run past the flap.

I have assumed that the flap is an anti-syphon device.

ExSp33db1rd
25th Mar 2018, 01:34
I have assumed that the flap is an anti-syphon device.

My thoughts too, hence my lack of success in that task.

( Why would I want to do it ? Long story not exactly connected to nefarious purposes - he said)

TWT
25th Mar 2018, 02:01
Small pipe, big hole problem

Fold it in half