PDA

View Full Version : So nice to occasionally see justice served...

TheFiddler
23rd Mar 2018, 21:39
Rare, but gold:

<<I 'm not allowed to post URL's until I have 10 posts. so perhaps some kind soul who agrees may add a link to this:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-43513372

>>

IBMJunkman
23rd Mar 2018, 23:25
If I read this right the govt can tell a private house owner that he canít rent his house for a period of time just because of the tenant and not due to safety/structure problems?

Sallyann1234
23rd Mar 2018, 23:44
But the landlord has been trying to get rid of her already, so he's probably happy about the court order.

Apparently she qualifies for emergency accommodation from the Council, so she is now going to be someone else's problem neighbour.

sherburn2LA
23rd Mar 2018, 23:46
Yes as a landlord I would take that deal. Somebody else takes the trouble to get them out with just 3 months rent lost. Lost rent insurance might cover it anyway although I dont bother with it myself.

Gertrude the Wombat
24th Mar 2018, 00:30
Somebody else takes the trouble to get them out with just 3 months rent lost.
Yup. Last time I had to get rid of some "tenants" (we were never quite sure whether they were tenants or squatters, despite a counsel's opinion, and in the end we didn't ask the court to decide that particular point) it took five months not three, and it was us, not the authorities, paying the lawyers and court fees and bailiffs.

IBMJunkman
24th Mar 2018, 03:16
Still not clear. The govt can force vacate a private rental dwelling by basically saying the owner canít rent the unit? Or is it conditional on the fact the govt is paying the rent?

UniFoxOs
24th Mar 2018, 10:39
It's not the guvmint, it's the courts. They can do what they like.

radeng
24th Mar 2018, 14:01
Could the owner claim that since the Council's action led to the loss of income, there is no liability to Council Tax on the property?

Gertrude the Wombat
24th Mar 2018, 23:19
Could the owner claim that since the Council's action led to the loss of income, there is no liability to Council Tax on the property?
Just been processing my council tax bill. A property is exempt if empty and "occupation is forbidden by law".

axefurabz
25th Mar 2018, 13:55
Just been processing my council tax bill.

There's posh! I just file mine. :E