PDA

View Full Version : Visiting Salisbury

VP959
23rd Mar 2018, 19:47
I hope the mods don't object to this (please delete it if you do), but businesses in Salisbury and the tourist attractions have been really badly affected by the recent chemical agent attack.

There is a coordinated campaign to try to encourage visitors, and reassure them that all is now safe here, and as a part of that all council parking in Salisbury is free from tomorrow onwards, for an indefinite period.

The City is a great place for a day out, as although small, it has everything from lovely riverside walks alongside the Avon, to the cathedral with the highest spire in the UK, plus many ancient ruins around that are a testament to the long history of settlement here, from Stonehenge a few miles to the north, to the original site of the city at Old Sarum. For aviation buffs, Old Sarum airfield is the second oldest still operational airfield in the UK, I believe, and has a great flying club with a really nice atmosphere,

There's a good theatre too, the Salisbury Playhouse; we're going tomorrow night to see The Importance of Being Earnest, it's often booked up for a long time ahead, but there may be tickets available for other shows.

For those into beer, there is just about every variety of pub you can imagine, from the big chains to small places that are old, and often a bit strange, like the Haunch of Venison (dates back to 1320), with it's mummified human hand in a case on the wall.

Yes, this is a blatant plug for my local city, but given the incident that took place here three weeks ago this Sunday I'm not in the slightest bit ashamed at plugging it here to help the city get back on it's feet.

LGS6753
23rd Mar 2018, 19:55
It's worth going just to see what is, or used to be, the tallest spire in England (444ft).

I'm hoping to go next month to support the local economy (in a small, not-very-plutocratic way).

Gertrude the Wombat
23rd Mar 2018, 19:56
My little sister lives there (and works in the hospital) and says things (in terms of visitor numbers, economic activity etc) are a bit dire at the moment. My last visit, several weeks ago now, included the Pratchett exhibition, but I believe that has finished now.

Oh, and you can fly there, if you don't mind the walk into town from Old Sarum.

VP959
23rd Mar 2018, 19:59
My little sister lives there (and works in the hospital) and says things (in terms of visitor numbers, economic activity etc) are a bit dire at the moment. My last visit, several weeks ago now, included the Pratchett exhibition, but I believe that has finished now.

Oh, and you can fly there, if you don't mind the walk into town from Old Sarum.

If someone is thinking of flying in to Old Sarum over a weekend and wants to go into town, I'll drive in, pick them up, drop them in town and run them back to the airfield, just PM me.

Senior Paper Monitor
23rd Mar 2018, 20:34
Great post VP959 - as a result i am now looking to plan a visit within the next few weeks as soon as I can arrange a 'day out' or merge it with something 'necessary'.

VP959
23rd Mar 2018, 20:44
As a bit of added info for those looking to fly in to Old Sarum airfield, I've just found out that the Park and Ride car park and bus service that is right next to the roundabout at the end of the airfield is also free, so you could walk over to the car park and get a free bus into town and back.

My offer of a free lift still stands at weekends.

Chronus
23rd Mar 2018, 21:01
Thank you VP, but just to be on the safe side, I think I will wait until the airfield`s name is changed to New Serum.

vapilot2004
23rd Mar 2018, 22:15
Americans may be interested in viewing one of the few surviving copies of the document commonly called the Magna Carta, a basis of our own US Constitution and Bill of Rights.

Very kind of you to offer private car service to fly-ins, VP. :ok:

VP959
23rd Mar 2018, 22:23
The copy of the Magna Carta that's in Salisbury is in remarkably good condition for such an old document, too. It was on display in the Charter Room at the cathedral for the 800th anniversary, along with some translations of some of the best known sections, sections that are pretty close to some of the wording in the US constitution and Bill of Rights.

katya2607
23rd Mar 2018, 23:00
Thank you VP959 for your lovely post in bringing Salisbury into a different light for all of us far and wide, to view.

I have always championed this beautiful City with its architectural delights to all who visit us in the New Forest; i.e. frog marching them around with pit stops at the Cathedral Refectory and other delightful watering holes!

It's good to know now that parking charges will be waived for the foreseeable future, a good start at trying to bring some money back to our lovely small businesses in this small City. We always used the "park and ride" option.

National Trust Members are well catered for, Mompesson House in Cathedral Close for one. Stonehenge, Avebury Rings and Sarum are just a few miles away.
"Sarum" by Edward Rutherford perhaps personifies how I feel about this beautiful place, it's like "coming home".

katya xx

galaxy flyer
23rd Mar 2018, 23:10
The copy of the Magna Carta that's in Salisbury is in remarkably good condition for such an old document, too. It was on display in the Charter Room at the cathedral for the 800th anniversary, along with some translations of some of the best known sections, sections that are pretty close to some of the wording in the US constitution and Bill of Rights.

The Cathedral and Charter Room were highlights of our visit some time ago. My wife still remembers the Magna Carta, as it was s complete surprise. We’d stopped for pub lunch going to Bath and started walking around.

Good luck to Salisbury!

GF

VP959
23rd Mar 2018, 23:21
Thank you VP959 for your lovely post in bringing Salisbury into a different light for all of us far and wide, to view.

I have always championed this beautiful City with its architectural delights to all who visit us in the New Forest; i.e. frog marching them around with pit stops at the Cathedral Refectory and other delightful watering holes!

It's good to know now that parking charges will be waived for the foreseeable future, a good start at trying to bring some money back to our lovely small businesses in this small City. We always used the "park and ride" option.

National Trust Members are well catered for, Mompesson House in Cathedral Close for one. Stonehenge, Avebury Rings and Sarum are just a few miles away.
"Sarum" by Edward Rutherford perhaps personifies how I feel about this beautiful place, it's like "coming home".

katya xx

Thanks Katya - the park and ride facilities are also free from tomorrow, too, so if you don't want to drive in to one of the city car parks you can park out of town for free and get a free bus ride in.

katya2607
23rd Mar 2018, 23:53
VP959, would be happy to pay for the park and ride during this time. It's excellent value for money. Have used the St Georges Mall in the past and it can be a nightmare especially from Easter onwards during the "grockel" season!
For those of you thinking Salisbury is a "no go zone", think again. It is a beautiful City, open for business and welcoming to all.

Sadly for me, can't whizz around Salisbury at present as am recuperating from a distal femur+knee cap fracture nonsense these last months which would have Noel FitzPatrick scratching his head with wonderment!

This doesn't mean that others can't do this on my behalf.

Come, enjoy and be delighted at what we have to offer.

Katya xx

Gertrude the Wombat
24th Mar 2018, 00:03
Thanks Katya - the park and ride facilities are also free from tomorrow, too, so if you don't want to drive in to one of the city car parks you can park out of town for free and get a free bus ride in.
I'm slightly puzzled about the park and ride actually, because whenever I've been in town I've seen acres and acres of empty city centre parking space. But that might be because I'm usually in Salisbury at weekends, maybe it's different during the working week? (Just checked Google satellite pictures, half empty: I've never seen it that full myself!)

racedo
24th Mar 2018, 00:09
Only been there once with US friends and we did Stonehenge first and then Salisbury................ friends have a US Disabled Badge and we parked right outside Cathedral.

One had motorised buggy and parking warden came by and just said...... badge is not really legal in UK but I am sure not going to book a car with one either.

katya2607
24th Mar 2018, 00:34
Gertrude....
Park and ride doesn't operate on a Sunday.

In the 26 years I have lived in the New Forest the week prior to Christmas has been a nightmare to find parking in Salisbury, eventually finalised my shopping in Fordingbridge.
Market days are on a Tuesday and Saturday.
Always use the Britford park and ride, very civilised.

ExSp33db1rd
24th Mar 2018, 07:09
Would love to, but 12,000 miles is a bit far for a day out, glad to hear that the Haunch is still in business.

Transitted the place many times living just down the road twixt Blandford Forum and Shaftesbury and flying out of Heathrow X times a month. Once left home to "do" my 1-1/2 hr. availability standby at Thruxton, but first stopped in Salisbury to ring home to check if I had been needed since I left (cellphones ? not even a glimpse in B.T.'s eye in those days.) "Yes" ! said my wife, ring them. I was then left with something like 50 minutes to get to Heathrow, park the car, transfer to crew reporting etc. etc. That was when I discovered that my car could reach 150 mph on the M.3 ( no "average speed" cameras in those days ) I made it !

WIDN62
24th Mar 2018, 11:35
There are still Sunday buses that are within easy walking distance of Old Sarum airfield even if the Park and Ride is not available.
Don't forget the Boscombe Down Aviation Collection at Old Sarum airfield!
Home (http://www.boscombedownaviationcollection.co.uk)
Open every day except Monday 1000-1700 - they are open Easter Monday though.

Kelly Hopper
24th Mar 2018, 15:59
I very nearly bought a house just south of Salisbury this time last year. It fell through for various reasons but I am interested as that is my part of the world. 'Looking now at a place a bit further south.
But I am curious.... Has the UK Government actually made a statement declaring Salisbury the source of such a "poisoning." Or is it a case of the media acting on the Government's behalf?
It behoves me that no-one, as far as I can tell, has requested details or proof that this is a russian assassination attempt? You all accept what is being preached to you? Like Bin Laden (the most wanted man in modern history) being killed and then thrown off a boat 600 miles away an hour later? You're not kidding me.
So good luck to all in Salisbury. I'm sure it'll all be fine when the media get bored of sensationalising everything and life can return to it's sleepy Wiltshire norm.

BehindBlueEyes
24th Mar 2018, 16:15
There are still Sunday buses that are within easy walking distance of Old Sarum airfield even if the Park and Ride is not available.
Don't forget the Boscombe Down Aviation Collection at Old Sarum airfield!
Home (http://www.boscombedownaviationcollection.co.uk)
Open every day except Monday 1000-1700 - they are open Easter Monday though.

The Boscombe Down aviation collection is superb - fantastic, knowledgeable staff who are happy to spend time imparting info and history of the exhibits.

Make the most of Old Sarum Airfield though; currently under threat of development - disguised as a fund raising scheme!

Annie Riddle: Planners 'man up' at last over Old Sarum airfield | Salisbury Journal (http://www.salisburyjournal.co.uk/news/15080978.Annie_Riddle__Planners__man_up__at_last_over_airfie ld/)

https://unidoc.wiltshire.gov.uk/UniDoc/Document/File/MTUvMDQwMDQvT1VULDExMzY1OTA=

VP959
24th Mar 2018, 16:33
The Boscombe Down aviation collection is superb - fantastic, knowledgeable staff who are happy to spend time imparting info and history of the exhibits.

It also has the front section of a Canberra that I did a bit of trials work in, many years ago. One of those trial sorties turned out to be it's last flight before it was grounded because it was too costly to replace the main spar, so we put up a Hawk chase aircraft alongside that day to take some photos, and I have one of them here on my study wall.

Echo Romeo
24th Mar 2018, 20:29
Ah yes, I will be there for the Auster 80th do, well, at Wallop but staying in Salisbury. Hope they've got this all sorted by then and buggered off.

VP959
24th Mar 2018, 23:35
Ah yes, I will be there for the Auster 80th do, well, at Wallop but staying in Salisbury. Hope they've got this all sorted by then and buggered off.

We've just returned from the theatre, and parked in the same multi-storey car park that Sergei Skripal used. We were right next to The Maltings and didn't see any indication of any police or other activity at all, so it looks very much as if the evidence gathering and decontamination work is either complete, or very nearly so.