PDA

View Full Version : Huge crack in Rift valley

glad rag
23rd Mar 2018, 19:40
Huge crack opens in Kenya's Rift Valley - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-africa-43501954/huge-crack-opens-in-kenya-s-rift-valley)

Been a shite week chaps, one for a bit of levity ...

Juliet Sierra Papa
23rd Mar 2018, 20:18
This really does not surprise me, I live further south than the rift's southern most reach and I have an ongoing interest in global seismicity. I subscribe to various apps which regularly advise of various events and recently there have been more than the normal number of events reported in this region. In the last 3 to 5 weeks I have received alerts of events occurring in Mozambique, Malawi and Tanzania. Although these are probably not unusual geographically their sudden and repetitive occurrence after a period of silence is concerning.

JSP

Fareastdriver
23rd Mar 2018, 20:33
Should the crack enlarge and reach the sea than the problems of the sea level rising will disappear.

Saintsman
23rd Mar 2018, 22:01
When talking about huge cracks, if you value your health, do not risk a slight glance towards your wife..

Carbon Bootprint
23rd Mar 2018, 23:41
At least it seems to be living up to its name... :ooh:

treadigraph
24th Mar 2018, 01:10
45 years ago, regular traveller down/up the escarpment road adjacent to Mount Suswa...

gruntie
24th Mar 2018, 08:50
45 years ago, regular traveller down/up the escarpment road adjacent to Mount Suswa...

Ditto. Only nearly 60 years, how time flies. That Narok road was no more than dust and corrugations at the time.

treadigraph
24th Mar 2018, 10:49
Ditto. Only nearly 60 years, how time flies. That Narok road was no more than dust and corrugations at the time.

We used to go up to Nakuru to go gliding, remember going down the escarpment road and the first glimpse of Suswa... presume the Narok road came off somewhere between the little chapel and Longnot.

gruntie
24th Mar 2018, 11:33
We used to go up to Nakuru to go gliding, remember going down the escarpment road and the first glimpse of Suswa... presume the Narok road came off somewhere between the little chapel and Longnot.
Correct...at a T junction close to Longonot, runs due south-ish with suitable diversions round the ends of solidified lava flows from Longonot itself. Came barrelling along there once in a SII Landrover and collided with a Marabou stork which had just taken off: daft bird was undamaged but was deflected 90deg to the left and flew head first into a bush.
The whole area is geologically active, and will continue to be so: a crack opening up is the least of their problems....

Uplinker
24th Mar 2018, 14:59
On a pedantic point: the whole Rift Valley is already a (gigantic) crack; that’s how it was formed.

As an aside, I too have driven across the Rift Valley to Nairobi from the Maasi Mara. Took all day, and it was bloody hot, (no aircon, it was just a tiny old Suzuki jeep thing). A few miles out of Nairobi, I suddenly realised that the heater had been on full for the entire journey...........:D

It had been left that way by the previous driver who had obviously driven at night or early in the morning when it was very cold. I never thought to check, since having the heater on during the day in Africa would be daft.

I was the one who was daft though for not realising :hmm:

ShyTorque
24th Mar 2018, 15:07
When talking about huge cracks, if you value your health, do not risk a slight glance towards your wife..

My wife once asked: "Does my bum look big in this?"
I was busy and didn't answer straight away. When I did, I absent mindedly said : "Yes, dear..." By then she had got undressed and was in the shower....
I made my own dinner.

4mastacker
24th Mar 2018, 16:21
My wife once asked: "Does my bum look big in this?"
I was busy and didn't answer straight away. When I did, I absent mindedly said : "Yes, dear..." By then she had got undressed and was in the shower....
I made my own dinner.

I take it cold shoulder and tongue were in the humble pie.

meadowrun
24th Mar 2018, 16:36
Huge Crack in Rift Valley.

Great title for a new TV sitcom. I can see it. Brilliant!
Fox, I think could do it. Maybe Netflix. Maybe a "Cops" spin-off?

ian16th
24th Mar 2018, 17:22
Huge Crack in Rift Valley.

Great title for a new TV sitcom. I can see it. Brilliant!
Fox, I think could do it. Maybe Netflix. Maybe a "Cops" spin-off?
The spin off about drug dealers will be called 'Rift in the Crack Valley"

ShyTorque
24th Mar 2018, 20:11
I take it cold shoulder and tongue were in the humble pie.

Everything came with ice.... ;)

Takan Inchovit
24th Mar 2018, 20:41
Large amount of mineral deposits have been discovered in crack leads geologists to ore chasm.

megan
25th Mar 2018, 03:45
Any chance the crack will expand and allow Africa to be cast adrift and sink?

G-CPTN
25th Mar 2018, 05:30
I think it will split Africa.

Dee Vee
25th Mar 2018, 06:40
Huge crack opens in Kenya's Rift Valley

so, a Rift has opened up in Rift Valley

got it!

parabellum
25th Mar 2018, 07:24
It had been left that way by the previous driver who had obviously driven at night or early in the morning when it was very cold. I never thought to check, since having the heater on during the day in Africa would be daft.

Actually no, Uplinker, often put the heater full on in the Middle East as this drags heat away from the system and helps keep the engine temps. within limits, particularly in something as small engined as a Suzuki, it was standard practice!:)

Uplinker
25th Mar 2018, 07:44
Yes, Iíve had to use that trick to prevent engine overheating in some of the wrecks I have owned over the years - and that is just in the UK !

No this (Suzuki heater) was muppetry on my part. The engine was fine after I had turned the heater off, even in the Nairobi traffic.

Heathrow Harry
25th Mar 2018, 17:37
Actually no, Uplinker, often put the heater full on in the Middle East as this drags heat away from the system and helps keep the engine temps. within limits, particularly in something as small engined as a Suzuki, it was standard practice!:)

Did the same with a Volvo in Cambridge a few years back until I could get it to the garage one summer - worked remarkably well