PDA

View Full Version : French ATC strike

MrNosy2
23rd Mar 2018, 14:35
The French ATC has been on strike again. It seems to me that this lot have gone on strike at least once every year for at least the last 50 years! Can any one say what they have achieved by their persistent militancy other than inconvenience the travelling public?

UniFoxOs
23rd Mar 2018, 15:38
Bit early isn't it - they usually wait until the summer peak.

wiggy
23rd Mar 2018, 15:48
It seems to me that this lot have gone on strike at least once every year for at least the last 50 years!

Thatís very much ďat leastĒ.

Can any one say what they have achieved by their persistent militancy other than inconvenience the travelling public?

Hung on to allegedly very good T&Cs...anyway if you think ATC have stuffed the travelling public up, try travelling by train in France over the next 2 or three months............actually...donít...the cheminot not make ATC look like amateurs when it comes to organising IA...

https://www.thelocal.fr/20180322/french-rail-strikes-here-are-the-37-days-to-avoid-travelling-by-train

chevvron
24th Mar 2018, 02:10
I was under the impression they had a 'no strike' clause in their contracts.
I remember in '71 when I was an assistant at West Drayton; I was on a sector where I was supposed to pass estimates to Paris Control and was getting no reply on the phone. I asked Jersey if they had any luck and they told me they had had a phone call a couple of hours earlier saying ' ahh Szherzey, we are all on shtrike, goodnight'.

B Fraser
24th Mar 2018, 05:43
They also have a habit of returning to work without telling anyone.

wiggy
24th Mar 2018, 06:53
I was under the impression they had a 'no strike' clause in their contracts

Donít think thereís a no strike clause, but they may have minimum service level agreements (some sectors of public transport now do). Thereís also seems to be the issue that there seems to be effectively several ATC unions and itís difficult to work out until the day of the action how many ATCers will come to work and therefore how much capacity there will be. I know our ďlotĒ got a limited number of flights into, out of and over France on Wednesday/Thursday, it wasnít a total strike.

RAT 5
24th Mar 2018, 20:27
ahh Szherzey, we are all on shtrike, goodnight'.
They also have a habit of returning to work without telling anyone.

Ah, come on Pierre.

Sounds just like Dave Gunson's story.

(the youngsters can ask their dads)

alfaman
24th Mar 2018, 21:10
Hung on to allegedly very good T&Cs... That may, or may not, be the case: French ATCOs are civil servants, therefore, when the civil service strikes, they strike. It's often unrelated to aviation: in this instance, it's to protest against their president.
https://www.reuters.com/article/france-reform-protests/french-civil-servants-rail-staff-strike-in-test-for-macron-idUSL8N1R32CD

Uplinker
25th Mar 2018, 06:55
I was based in Toulouse for a year. The French take it in turns to go on strike. When it was the airport cleaners turn, nobody noticed for a few days. So the cleaners started coming in at night and sprinkling wedding confetti on the floor. After a few days, this was obviously getting expensive, so they switched to using torn up newspaper and then leaves, (from trees). I kid you not, this is absolutely true - Walking through the terminal to work was like walking through the woods in Autumn.

I have to say though, the French stand up for themselves, unlike us in the UK........