PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol free beer

anchorhold
23rd Mar 2018, 13:54
Alcohol free beer being by definition, less than 0.05 ABV in the UK, when first introduced in the UK in the late seventies or eighties had a bad reputation in respect of its taste.

So I have been looking for non alcoholic beers which allows me to still drive or fly alcohol free, apparently it has a placebo effect. So I have tried Becks Blue, 6 bottles (275ml) for £3.60 at Tesco and I have to say its not bad. Also it is only 57 calories. The only ingrediants are yeast, water, malt and barley, but I am not sure how the alcohol is removed.

A study conducted by the department of psychology at Indiana University said, "Because non-alcoholic beer provides sensory cues that simulate alcoholic beer, this beverage may be more effective than other placebos in contributing to a credible manipulation of expectancies to receive alcohol",[8] making people feel "drunk" when physically they are not.

I just wondered, what other peoples experiences of non alcoholic beer or wine and any recomendations?

Taking this thread on a step further, why in UK pubs is there so little choice when you want a cold non alcoholic drink. Carbonated drinks and fruit juices are not the best for your teeth, non alcoholic beers seem rarely available. Again on the whole the alternatives to alcohol are very expensive, I had a pint of lemonade once which cost the same price a a beer.

It seems there is little imagination in the UK drinks industery, for example a pint of chilled milk at a pub on a hot day might be refreshing. Finally any other suggestion for interesting non alcoholic alternatives.

VP959
23rd Mar 2018, 14:00
If someone came up with a draught beer, that tasted like real beer, but had practically no alcohol in it, I reckon they would do well with it.

I stopped drinking as a New Year resolution, yet find it hard to sit in a pub with a glass of fruit juice, and all the non-alcoholic beers seems to be like tasteless chilled lager.

I've no intention of permanently giving up drinking, and gave up really to see if I could, as I had noticed that the number of empty wine bottles in the recycling bin was getting a bit too high. I've discovered I don't miss alcohol at home (I used to have a large glass or two of wine every evening) but do miss having a proper pint at the pub.

Our local publican is open to ideas on this, as we've chatted about it, so the collective view of PPRuNe would be most welcome.

TheFiddler
23rd Mar 2018, 14:08
...after searching for a long time, recently the market has become flooded with choice. I've settled on Flat Tire by Pistonhead which is probably as close as you can get to an IPA while still alcohol free, I actually really enjoy it.

My only gripe is given that there is no duty on it, why is it MORE expensive than 4 cans of say Heineken?

Mr Mac
23rd Mar 2018, 14:11
VP959
In my limited experience I would say the best low Alc beers come out of the Scandi countries. Personally I do not drink if the option is low Alc. Also I do not like the reduced Alc levels either, personally prefer imported lager beers and they need to be 4.8%alc for me, or they seem tasteless, same with Gin 40% min.

Take the point made by Anchorhold, the bottle bank run can be hard work sometimes, but our nearest pub is over 6 miles away so drinking at home is more common then when we lived in a village with a good pub.

Kind regards
Mr Mac

txl
23rd Mar 2018, 14:36
There are a couple of methods to make alcohol free beer, sometimes used in combination:

Suppress or stop fermentation when your brew reaches 0.5%.
Evaporate the alcohol by vacuum distillation (these tend to taste rather sweet)
Filter out water and alcohol, then add water until brew reaches 0.5 again
New yeasts that produce less alcohol

Also, there are 0.0% beers available.

The problem with non- or low-alcohol beer is: Alcohol equals taste. The more alcohol a beer contains, the fuller it tastes. So if you strip a run-of-the-mill lager of its alcohol, it's not gonna taste any better. Like TheFiddler, I find non-alcoholic IPAs and other from the craft lot quite satisfying, as their hoppy flavours can compensate for the lack of alcohol.

That said, I find it odd that I couldn't get alcohol free beer on most airlines I recently flew with.

RAT 5
23rd Mar 2018, 15:32
Finally any other suggestion for interesting non alcoholic alternatives.

Elderflower & Apple juice, cold, is not bad for white wine. If they could unsweeten iced tea, and give it a 'bit of edge', it might be an alternative. Colour's the same; just needs imagination.

Jack D
23rd Mar 2018, 15:45
Actually 0.5 % is not strictly alcohol free, if one drank say 4 bottles, each 33mg in one hour would that register on any type of breath alcohol testing device ? I suspect a blood test would indicate something ?

Jack D
23rd Mar 2018, 15:49
Used to drink this on a hot day . Lemonade, lots of ice , squeeze of lemon juice & a dash or two of angostura bitters to cut the sweetness , called a “ steelworks” so sounds butch enough. Very thirst quenching ..

Snyggapa
23rd Mar 2018, 16:04
Waitrose low alcohol cider (at "below 1%") doesn't actually taste bad - not overtly sweet.

more alcohol than no alcohol, but I would suspect that your body would metabolise the alcohol pretty much as fast as you could sensibly sink it.

UniFoxOs
23rd Mar 2018, 16:35
I've long since given up any idea of finding drinkable beer or ale. I ask for 1/4 inch of lime juice in a pint glass, load of ice cubes, and top up with tap water (or soda if you want it fizzy). Tastes fine when I am duty driver, and I sometimes drink it when I'm not. Most pubs charge about 50p.

MungoP
23rd Mar 2018, 16:40
Alcohol free beer.. all the enjoyment of a platonic relationship or Porsche speed limited to 30 mph.
On the US air-force base in Afghanland it was acceptable as those were the rules.. in a country pub in England, why ? Just because we drink alcohol doesn't mean we have to get rat-ars£d.

Krystal n chips
23rd Mar 2018, 16:49
Alcohol free beer.. all the enjoyment of a platonic relationship or Porsche speed limited to 30 mph.
On the US air-force base in Afghanland it was acceptable as those were the rules.. in a country pub in England, why ? Just because we drink alcohol doesn't mean we have to get rat-ars£d.

Mungers....

You don't have to get legless to exceed something called the drink / drive alcohol limit. This gets mentioned in something called the RTA, a bit of legislation you have kindly explained you hold in disdain.

With my limited social skills, I've never had any problem in either consuming alcohol in a pub, or consuming non alcoholic beverages as circumstances dictate at the time.

ExXB
23rd Mar 2018, 17:28
Alcohol free beer? Sorta like kissing your sister ...

Smeagol
23rd Mar 2018, 17:35
Best (i.e. least worst) I have found is called Bavaria, made in Holland but available in the UK in ASDA and probably other major supermarkets.

It is a 'lager' so not a proper beer it tastes better than other similar products (like Becks Blue which has a significant, unpleasant, tang, in my opinion at least). It also says it is 0.0% alcohol. I keep some in my beer fridge for guests who are driving and still like a social drink.

K&C

Why do you ALWAYS have a dig at almost every other poster on this forum, no matter what the subject matter. You appear not to have a 'chip on your shoulder' but more the contents of a truck following an industrial wood chipper!

VP959
23rd Mar 2018, 18:18
It's the fact that most of the "alcohol-free" beers are like lager that's the main thing that puts me off. I much prefer a decent pint of bitter, conventional British beer, so the closest so far for me would be The Fiddler's suggestion of Pistonheads Flat Tire, but that is described on their web site as being an "American Pale Lager".

I shall continue the search, there must be someone who has managed to brew something more akin to normal British beer, but without the alcohol (or at least below the 0.5% ABV limit).

gemma10
23rd Mar 2018, 18:48
Tried Becks Blue this year and found I quite enjoyed it. Not doing it for any other reason than cutting back on alcohol. Here in E Sussex it is difficult to find any ales other than Harveys which I find is like trying to drink liquid sawdust, and I detest the stuff. The Wetherspoons sometimes have a better choice and at an acceptable price. I`ve asked at the local if they could contemplate getting some Badgers or Ringwood ales, but it seems they would have to charge upwards of £3.80 a pint, which is a no no. At least when I lived in London I was spoilt for choice, but it seems Sussex has to revolve around Harveys and Shepherd Neame. :yuk::yuk:

Wodrick
23rd Mar 2018, 19:15
There is a large choice here in Spain the only one I have found worth avoiding is the San Miguel offering, followed closely by the Cruzcampo one. There are offerings from Becks, and a couple of other German ones, a Heineken one all of which I find passable. There also own brand offerings from Aldi and Lidl which are around 25c per 330cl and both of which I find acceptable. These last may well be available in the UK.

hiflymk3
23rd Mar 2018, 19:20
Tried Becks Blue this year and found I quite enjoyed it. Not doing it for any other reason than cutting back on alcohol. Here in E Sussex it is difficult to find any ales other than Harveys which I find is like trying to drink liquid sawdust, and I detest the stuff. The Wetherspoons sometimes have a better choice and at an acceptable price. I`ve asked at the local if they could contemplate getting some Badgers or Ringwood ales, but it seems they would have to charge upwards of £3.80 a pint, which is a no no. At least when I lived in London I was spoilt for choice, but it seems Sussex has to revolve around Harveys and Shepherd Neame. :yuk::yuk:

The Horse & Groom* in Mercatoria, St Leonards have good guest beers.

* Or Gloom & Doom as we call it. But it's probably the best pub in St Leonards.

radar101
23rd Mar 2018, 19:25
Beck's blue used to be my standby but it is a lager.

What you need is the 0.5% "Nanny State" - a hoppy, IPA-type by Brewdog.

Tescos stock it at about £1.25 a bottle.

Sevarg
23rd Mar 2018, 19:27
Years ago most pubs sold beer at 2 point something % draft beer most of which was drinkable. I'm not talking about grotnies red barrel. Like to retry so many of them again at least you could have a couple and drive.

Paulf
23rd Mar 2018, 20:14
Brew Dog do one called Nanny State that isn’t bad.

lsd
23rd Mar 2018, 20:18
Try St Peters Without - a bottled craft beer from Suffolk at less than 0.05% alcohol that from the fridge is very acceptable and can be found in the supermarkets.
Cheers!

Rwy in Sight
23rd Mar 2018, 20:22
The taste of the ice-cold alcohol free is quite good. However as soon as its tempature gains a degree or two it becomes too sweet to be drinkable.

anchorhold
23rd Mar 2018, 20:51
I also think that the yemerature has something to do with it, so chilling the glasses might help. I think this chilling issue is going to be an issue with any english beer.

I have found an article from the daily mail (sorry) for the top ten non alcoholic drinks including various white and red wines, and even non alcoholic gin!!! I can not imagine what that is like. Here is the link:

www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-5240719/Alcohol-free-gin-tonic-wont-break-Dry-January.html

I did see non alcoholic Pimms a while back in Aldi. The thought of addind vry small amount of gin (angostura) bitters to mineral water, but what flavour and as its 47% you would need to be very liberal with it to keep it below 1%.

My other thought is Ouzo, which I used to like it with 25% ouzo, 75% water. I tried it recently but it was far too sweet, ss since I like the aniseed flavour, I wondering if I could make something similar with aniseed essence and water. Also many years ago, when climbing in the italian alps, some of Italian climbers (while climbing) use to mix about ten or twenty percent wine with water, we tried it and it wasn't bad.

I tried mango juice a few weeks ago, nut it was a bit thick, likewise coconut juice wasn't really the same from a carton.

Has anyone tried carrot or beetroot juice?

TLDNMCL
23rd Mar 2018, 21:08
Alcohol free beer? Sorta like kissing your sister ...

How do you know what kissing my sister is like?😲 Ahh, some questions are best left unanswered...

TangoAlphad
23rd Mar 2018, 21:12
My fiance had a difficult pregnancy so I was sober for 6+ months so I spent a fair bit of time investigating different brews.

Heineken alco free was probably the closest to original product in terms of taste. Fairly pleasant.

Becks blue is pretty average.

Brewdog Nanny State was good as I'm a craft beer / ale drinker mainly but the very hoppy taste with no alcohol underneath could make it a bit much a bit quick.

Bavaria, the wheat beer variant, I found rather pleasant and actually tasted kind of like a wheat beer if not a tad sweet. The lager variant was ok.

I've found recently I tend to buy Heineken on the rare occasion I'm buying non alco. I'm trying to drink less period after a health scare so I only tend to buy alco free if I know people will be around maybe not drinking etc.

With regards to the post about a good low / non alco beer... back in way then when the local drink drive limit got halved up north I was working in a pub that served many drivers. We bought in a low 2% ale that was very nice hoping it would sell to the driving regulars. It was tasty and cheap. I recall pouring most of the barrel away...

meadowrun
23rd Mar 2018, 21:13
Never tried alcohol free beer. Don't see the point. Club soda with lots of lime and ice works well if not wanting alcohol with a pub meal.
I have drunk some American standard factory beers when nothing else has been available. So, pretty close.

Icare9
23rd Mar 2018, 23:29
Having been on the receiving end of a drunk driver, I find standing around in a pub with friends can be boring, as for some unknown reason the non-alcoholic beers/lagers or soft drinks invariably cost much more than a pint of beer.
Now, I realise their business is selling alcohol, but many serve food and other Non alcohol lines, so surely there actually is a market for palatable non alcoholic drinks that look and taste like a craft pint?
Sales would possibly be better as people would drink more than just nurse a pint of shandy or whatever whilst their friends have a good old time and the poor duty driver just keeps looking at their watch.

St Peters Without is available at the Lamb on Pevensey Marsh just outside Bexhill.

reynoldsno1
24th Mar 2018, 02:51
Try a Gunners if low alcohol beer doesn't suit - It consists of equal parts ginger beer (or lemonade) and ginger ale with a dash of Angostura bitters and sometimes a measure of lime cordial or lemon juice.

krismiler
24th Mar 2018, 05:58
It’s difficult if you don’t drink alcohol, you choices are confined to sugar or chemicals. At least a decent non alcoholic beer will only have water, hops, malt and barley in it which saves you the options of tooth decay/obesity/diabetes or cancer causing artificial sweeteners.

A non alcoholic beer enables you to look the part when drinking in a pub and drive home afterwards. Try a few varieties to find the taste you like.

Rwy in Sight
24th Mar 2018, 08:06
chilling the glasses
not a good idea because as it gets warmer humidity appears and the content is watered down.

I don't get why non alcoholic beverages should be more expensive.

Gunners . If it tastes like Amstel Raddler I would take the "Club soda with lots of lime and ice" option any time.

ExSp33db1rd
24th Mar 2018, 08:22
Swan Brewery in Perth W.A. used to do a respectable non-alc. lager type beer in cans, for consumption in Saudi Arabia I believe, but I haven't seen it around for many years, and would welcome a decent tasting one. I don't drink for the alcoholic effect ( he says ! ) but for a taste that is more acceptable than water or fizzy alternatives, but have yet to find an acceptable one.

The search goes on.

A NZ "boutique" brewery has just produced one called Avgas. I'm trying to source a supply for our local Aero Club. It will be interesting to say " I'm just going to have a drink of Avgas" to those who don't know of its existence !

pax britanica
24th Mar 2018, 08:35
Although i no longer drink it I have never seen much in the way of lo alcohol bitter .

On the lager front though there are some drinkable decent versions usually spurred by the needs of the country .
Sweden drink drive and you go to prison (not a very nasty one tho) has some nice low alcohol beers , Three Crowns, Tre Kronor , the name not the price was nice and refreshing.
In Czech rep where beer is the national pastime, national symbol and national way of life (this is a country of two halves where one half Bohemia drinks beer and the other Moravia drinks wine) despite this the Czechs drink 30% more beer per head than any othr country even with only half of them doing it)

Regular beer is always excellent - called Pivo and lo alcohol is Pito , helpfully two of the few words of Czech that western Europeans can pronounce and have vowels in them). So Pito has to be pretty decent otherwise no one would drink it at all except for price ( beer in CZ is often cheaper than soft drinks or water)

So it can be done and done a bit better than in Uk where it still seems to always taste 'funny' .

On the other end of the scale I mistakenly ended up with a pint of cider at 7% alcohol in a well known London pub and was once given a can of Finnish 'Class 4A lager which turned out to have 14 % alcohol but that was in Finland a country where even Russians are scared to drink .

At the end of the day tho its like diet coke-supposed to be the same but it isnt

Uplinker
24th Mar 2018, 20:35
...............My only gripe is given that there is no duty on it, {soft drinks} why is it MORE expensive than 4 cans of say Heineken?

Because, sadly our country (UK) seems to be locked into: “screw the customer for every penny you can, no matter how unjust that is”.

Logic and fairness would suggest that soft drinks - being just water and flavourings - should be much cheaper than alcoholic ones, which have been brewed etc., and attract duty. However; the margins on soft drinks are vastly more than alcoholic drinks. so the driver has to pay much more for their soft drinks than their alcohol drinking buddies do for theirs.

I would outlaw the practice, but I am not in charge.

Goe4
24th Mar 2018, 22:04
I'm new around here, so cannot post urls! There is a website called 'time for alcohol free' available in GB. (without spaces!). I have not ordered anything through them but noticed that they have a good selection of German non-alcoholic beers.

In Germany a lot of the breweries are bringing out alcohol-free beers. I expect this has to do with the drink and driving regulations for younger drivers (18-21 zero alcohol levels). If you look at the above website you can see them. If I go out for a drink but have to drive I normally drink an Erdinger Weiss beer which I find tastes good. Cheers all!

Rather be Gardening
24th Mar 2018, 22:56
Another vote for the Bavaria 0% - nice flavour, not too sweet. I find the Becks too sour - a rather metallic after-taste.

cavortingcheetah
24th Mar 2018, 23:17
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2vut0oBjcw

flash8
24th Mar 2018, 23:17
Ahhh Baltika #0

To quote the description

As concluded by the Ministry of Healthcare of the Russian Federation "the Baltika #0 Non-Alcoholic Beer does not affect the human psychomotor abilities, can be recommended in driving air, motor and automotive transport, to people of hazardous occupations as well as elderly people".

So, if you are tempted to drink and fly... no worry you are covered :ok:

And "elderly people" are covered as well... Russkies think of everything....

Rush2112
25th Mar 2018, 02:54
Try a Gunners if low alcohol beer doesn't suit - It consists of equal parts ginger beer (or lemonade) and ginger ale with a dash of Angostura bitters and sometimes a measure of lime cordial or lemon juice.

This - very popular in the tropics at lunchtime.

krismiler
25th Mar 2018, 03:50
https://www.sapromo.com/rock-shandy-recipe/9259

The rock shandy is fairly similar.

oopspff7
25th Mar 2018, 11:04
As a youngster I used to drink Barbarian......it was lager free alcohol.:E

troppo
25th Mar 2018, 12:58
A lot of fat chicks are gonna die virgins

dook
25th Mar 2018, 16:15
When I lived in Saudi Arabia we could buy almost any alcohol-free beer that was available.

In our compound, a lot of time and energy was expended making it alcoholic again.

NRU74
25th Mar 2018, 16:29

Aah, Tengah at lunchtime !

xraydice
25th Mar 2018, 19:24
another vote for Nanny State , for those duty days

Ogre
25th Mar 2018, 23:06
At one time we we working in a country that prohibited alcohol, and so we were left with soft drinks or an alcohol-free malt beer. After the first couple of malt beers we decided that sobriety tasted better with sugar and caffeine.....

WingNut60
25th Mar 2018, 23:32
....... After the first couple of malt beers we decided that sobriety tasted better with sugar and caffeine.....

Absolutely correct.

Beer (and lager) is an alcoholic drink containing at least 4% alcohol.
If it doesn't, then it's not beer.

Why anyone would bother drinking pseudo-beer is beyond my comprehension.
Especially since not one of them is even partly pleasant to drink.

G-CPTN
25th Mar 2018, 23:42
Traubensaft - or unfermented grape juice - is a drink that I 'discovered' in Germany and found acceptable. I was aged 13 at the time, but I still enjoy it.
Alternatively, Apfelsaft (unfermented apple juice) is a thirst-quenching drink - also available in Denmark.

ExSp33db1rd
26th Mar 2018, 01:59
Why anyone would bother drinking pseudo-beer is beyond my comprehension.

An alcohol free drink that tastes better than Coke, Tizer, 7-Up, Tea, Coffee, Orange Juice, Apple Juice, etc.etc. That's why.

but yet to find an acceptable one.

Yes, regular beer - so long as it isn't Lager, or any North American beer, is better, but sometimes alcohol has to be avoided for all sorts of reasons unconnected with commonsense.

jolihokistix
26th Mar 2018, 02:25
Whatever happened to Kaliber?

WingNut60
26th Mar 2018, 02:26
An alcohol free drink that tastes better than Coke, Tizer, 7-Up, Tea, Coffee, Orange Juice, Apple Juice, etc.etc. That's why.

Would a company manufacturing a drink that meets that spec. not be bigger than "Coke, Tizer, 7-Up, Tea, Coffee, Orange Juice, Apple Juice, etc.etc" and thus, be readily identifiable?
If they existed!

Anilv
26th Mar 2018, 03:31
Brings back memories of chatting up a hostie on a certain German airline and hinting that I would like some 'German' beers to take away. Was over the moon when she gave me a bag with 6 bottles (yes I was very cheap).

Back in the hotel my elation turned to disgust after taking the frisrt few sips when I saw that the Klausthaler beer had the dreaded red-tab 'alkoholfrei' legend.

Left the unopened bottles in the hotel room, hope it made someones day!

Anilv

meadowrun
26th Mar 2018, 05:45
Pedant kicking in...

Oxford English Dictionary:

Beer
noun
mass noun

An alcoholic drink made from yeast-fermented malt flavoured with hops. ( No Alcohol = not beer. Just another beverage, in this case, often with a foul, eye-crunching taste.)

jolihokistix
26th Mar 2018, 07:21
OED? Useless dictionary, when you're thirsty.

Groundbased
26th Mar 2018, 14:27
I've spent some time looking into this. I stopped drinking last September in the interests of seeing if I could and an awareness that my consumption was creeping up.

Of all the low/non-alcoholic beers I've tried I find Heineken 0.0 to be the most drinkable when well chilled. The St Peters Without gold is quite good too and the darker one is ok as well. However, what I have found is that I thought they were all pretty unbearable at the start, but as I have spent longer without drinking the real stuff they have become the new normal, and actually taste quite good.

I find that I will have perhaps a couple of these which gives me the "getting a cold one from the fridge" feeling, and I tend to leave it at that.

I've also tried some wines and can report that the Rawsons Retreat de-alcoholised is pretty good. I think the White is better than the Red.

sitigeltfel
26th Mar 2018, 14:38
If you can get your hands on Kronenbourg Pur Malt, I suggest you give it a try. Not alcohol free but less than 1%.

gemma10
26th Mar 2018, 16:48
[QUOTE=dook;10096608]When I lived in Saudi Arabia we could buy almost any alcohol-free beer that was available.

In our compound, a lot of time and energy was expended making it alcoholic again.[/QUOT

Now when I lived in Jeddah back in the eighties we used to brew our own in the compound. Every Thursday evening quick trip down to town to a shopping centre known as the Caravan. Enter said supermarket. And on your left hand side dear customer floor to ceiling 1Kg bags of sugar. And right next to it the malt extract in jars and bakers yeast. No need to walk any further-just pay for said brewing items. Back home another twenty gallons of best bitter on the go, ready for a week tomorrow [Friday].

And alcohol wasn`t allowed in Saudi????

Sorry, just realized this thread was about alcohol free beer. :{

trident3A
26th Mar 2018, 17:06
Tried a bottle of Brew Dog's Nanny State (0.5%) a few weeks ago out of curiosity, must say it was more than drinkable.

https://www.brewdog.com/item/61/BrewDog/Nanny-State.html

sitigeltfel
26th Mar 2018, 17:54
Tried a bottle of Brew Dog's Nanny State (0.5%) a few weeks ago out of curiosity, must say it was more than drinkable.

https://www.brewdog.com/item/61/BrewDog/Nanny-State.html

I had a bottle of the stuff early last year and suffered extreme gastric upset half an hour later. It is not a beer, but a biological weapon.
:yuk:

jolihokistix
27th Mar 2018, 05:13
Generally I stick to cider as beer tends to give me violent headaches and horse-kicking heaves. Strangely I sometimes have a similar thing after drinking non-alcohol ‘beers’ too, so maybe the alcohol is not the main culprit. Obviously more research needed here.

anchorhold
27th Mar 2018, 17:28
From memory I think Kaliber was brewed in the early eighties by Guinness, but I don't think they had the knowledge of how to brew something that tasted like lager.

vctenderness
27th Mar 2018, 18:03
Mrs VC is partial to a non alcohol beer as she is teetotal. Her favourite is Erdinger Alcoholfrei.

Failing that it’s Becks Blue.

In Spain you can get most regular brands in non alcohol and draft.

I have never stooped so low as to try it though.

Phororhacos
28th Mar 2018, 09:00
Alcohol free Cobra is OK as an accompaniment to curry, and makes a reasonable shandy with diet lemonade.

Pinky the pilot
28th Mar 2018, 10:24
Alcohol free beer..Why??:confused::D:E

treadigraph
28th Mar 2018, 19:06
I prefer beer free alcohol... (drink up thy cyder)

Some prefer free beer alcohol.

TYTOENG232
22nd Apr 2018, 10:40
hiflymk3

"The Horse & Groom* in Mercatoria, St Leonards have good guest beers.

* Or Gloom & Doom as we call it. But it's probably the best pub in St Leonards."

I used the 'Doom and Gloom' in the 80's and 2000's!
Is 'Rigsby' still there?

fleigle
22nd Apr 2018, 17:00
Many years ago in Saudi we could buy something called Moussy?, brewed in Switzerland?.
If you drank 3 or 4 of them very cold and very fast you could perhaps imagine that you were getting a buzz.
Better were the gallon jugs of moonshine (sadiqqi (friend)) that we made bloody fatimas, or sadiqqi sours with..... then we'd see who could catch the most flies, and how many bounces they made when thrown on the table.... it was a long 3 months...
f

anchorhold
3rd May 2018, 09:52
Here is an update on my research, such as using a Jilly Golden describing a drink tasting like a 'mellow autumn evening'.. This is my overview based on Tesco, but I am sure Sainsburys, Waitrose, Asda, Booths do similar deals.

Becks Blue 6 x 275ml bottles at £3.50, 8/10, quite like this, and unlike some comments, I do not detect a metalic taste.

Warsteiner 4 x 330ml bottles at £3,50, 9/10, like this but probably biased as it is slightly more expensive, and holds a world beer award (germany)

Bavaria 4 x 330ml bottles , £2.00, 7/10, Quite good value, has quite a malty taste, but very good value. Despit it's name it is brewed in Holland.

San Miguel, 4 x 330ml bottes, £3.50, 6/10, slight tast of lime, in my opinion.

To add to this the Coop is a bit hit and miss with stock.

Heinekin 4 x 275 bottles, £3.50, 6/10, nothing special.

Bud 4 x 330ml cans, 5/10, A bit tasteless.

I need to add that Fiona Bruce MP, has demanded better labelling on non- alcoholic beers, despite it being quite clear that 0.05% ABG is non alcoholic. Clearly she has nothing better to do.

I despair with pubs, little choice and Becks Blue, 275ml bottle at £3.00 is absurd and to add yesterday a pint of lime and lemonade was a a shocking £3.00. Likewise there seems little prospect of finding non alcoholic beer in small grocery stores, even those run by Sikhs or Muslims.

The above is only my personal opinion, everyone is different in their taste, for example I used to like London Pride, but I couldn't stand Marstons Pedegree. To add that I would not expect a non alcoholic lager to replicate its alcoholic namesake.

Next, I am going to explore non alcoholic wines. I will keep you informed.

L'aviateur
10th May 2018, 23:46
Even low alcohol beers would be a nice option. As an expat from the UK to Oz I'm impressed that most places offer a selection of good sub 3% alcohol content beer.

jolihokistix
11th May 2018, 13:45
Safe to drink at work!?!? Colourless alcohol-free drink with beer smell.
https://japantoday.com/category/features/new-products/suntory-releases-clear-no-alcohol-plastic-bottled-beer

ceeb
11th May 2018, 14:19
As mentioned earlier in the trhead St Peter's Without dark ale is as close as you can get in my opinion as a real beer with no alcohol.

Lovely stuff!

old,not bold
11th May 2018, 19:13
"Alcohol-free Beer" is a contradiction in terms.

(Just like "Military Intelligence" as Mrs ONB, whom I met just after a period sniffing out baddies in the Arabian peninsula, has regularly reminded me.)

Trossie
13th May 2018, 23:26
'Alcohol free beer' is about the same as 'beef free steak', isn't it?

ImageGear
14th May 2018, 00:10
Has anyone managed to try this stuff yet???

Guinness announce the release of a brand new non-alcoholic beer (http://www.joe.ie/news/guinness-announce-release-brand-new-non-alcoholic-beer-612920)

I'm still looking...

IG