PDA

View Full Version : The latest Google Earth

Loose rivets
22nd Mar 2018, 15:18
Has anyone tried the latest offering. It's the first time I can recall being offered such an upgrade plonked in the middle of the screen though I may have got the latest each time I loaded - however, the file size of the local program IIRC is ~520k which was the same for years.

Also, I'm concerned that when I upgrade I'll lose my pins. Is that data transferable?

It's a fun program - I even used it in Texas to check the rough capacity of boastful neighbour's swimming pools.

lomapaseo
22nd Mar 2018, 15:38
Mt GE updates when I turn it off and reload. My current kmz file is saved regularly @ 3000 kb so I have no worries unless they screw with the GE program and it doesn't accept my kmz file..

vapilot2004
22nd Mar 2018, 22:09
LR, while the following is for moving to a new computer, the same process applies in backing up your current one. There's a little file called myplaces.kml and a myplaces.backup.kml where your pins reside.

Whenever I have upgraded Google Earth, it does seem to carry my pins and other saved settings forward. Good luck!

Move Saved Locations to a new computer - Google Earth Support (https://support.google.com/earth/answer/166438?hl=en)

lomapaseo
23rd Mar 2018, 00:49
Whenever I have upgraded Google Earth, it does seem to carry my pins and other saved settings forward. Good luck!

For that reason is why I save my kmz files to a unique file address that I name. That way any update does not overwrite the "myplaces" file that GE owns.

However, if the update has not messed with the "myplaces.kmz" file on your computer, look for your pins etc. in the Temporary folder when you open GE again and then move that up to the top level. The level of confusion in all this is because the GE program owns "My places" and you really should save stuff as a new file name that you remember

Loose rivets
23rd Mar 2018, 00:54
Thanks for the help. As is so often the case, my computer seems to be an alien artefact, everything oddly different to Earthling's computers.

Finally, I found myplaces.backup.kml in a location that doesn't seem to be mentioned in GE as the depository for backups. By that, I suppose I mean I can't find anything in GE that designates the folder.

Right now, the only way I can get to the folder is via Run despite the tree being quite clear after the search.

I hate when this happens.

LocalLow. I haven't noticed such a folder since computers had valves.

lomapaseo
23rd Mar 2018, 03:07
Right now, the only way I can get to the folder is via Run despite the tree being quite clear after the search.

Have you tried opening GE than go to the menu items and select file open and then point to the bckup file?. It should work and put it in the "temporary Places" folders in the bottom files where you can drag and drop it as you see fit up above

pr00ne
27th Mar 2018, 01:36
Is most of the imagery still years and years out of date, over eighteen in some cases?

lomapaseo
27th Mar 2018, 02:18
Is most of the imagery still years and years out of date, over eighteen in some cases?

Not in the US East or West coast states where the population density is highest
It's not uncommon for me to be working with less than a year old images. Of course some of my local street views are not available due to privacy.

treadigraph
27th Mar 2018, 06:56
The satellite image of Duxford can be dated to within a very few weeks in Summer 2003 - visible are the ground marks in a nearby field where the unfortunate Firefly crashed in July, while on the airfield itself is the Blenheim, hale and hearty before its landing accident in August of that year.

Sallyann1234
27th Mar 2018, 08:39
There is a History icon at the top of the screen. Select that and you can see the dates of the available images.

Tankertrashnav
27th Mar 2018, 09:43
L-R - you do realise that it is now ok to type 'Google' without some software objecting? Same goes for Amazon, EBay etc. I believe there used to be a problem with this on here, but that has long gone, as has the Land Rover/Trabant joke, but not, for some reason, the word laser (l a s e r).

Or was it just a typo? ;)

dook
27th Mar 2018, 17:47
The new photos database is rubbish. People just tend to plonk any old photo in the imagery and there is nowhere near the number we used to have.

Loose rivets
27th Mar 2018, 23:05
Did I say Gargoyle? [email protected]@ah!

File, Open, just takes me to Documents, and not a hint of any backup. The only way so far is as shown earlier.

Latest street views? Bumtittibumbum. One was caught out when parking on friend's lawn - a thing I normally wouldn't do. She will no doubt see the results.

I note now that even the above view has both my BMW's at this address. So 18 months old or less for main and street.

Ascend Charlie
28th Mar 2018, 07:33
Bit of earthquake damage to your roof, Mr Rivets?

trident3A
28th Mar 2018, 07:55
Bit of earthquake damage to your roof, Mr Rivets?

His number plates are filthy too

gemma10
28th Mar 2018, 15:22
They look as though they have been stitched together.

Loose rivets
28th Mar 2018, 16:00
Brilliant bit of kit, Street View, but a bit odd sometimes. My old green Honda Accord was crystal clear from back to 2/3rds the way forward but got smeared as though someone had rubbed a wet oil painting.

One of our wags said, 'Don't worry. It'll buff out.'

That tiny half a house is as many pounds sterling as my son's house was in $'s. His house, in a quiet road in Austin's outskirts is near quiet parkland that has a broad stream running even in the hot weather. House: 5 beds and 3 1/2 bathrooms. Yes, I know about bathing in half a bath.:\

Here, my neighbour has just had a cochlea transplant thingie fitted into his headbone. It has Bluetooth to his phone, radio and TV. Oh, and he can hear as well. Cost? About a hundred grand. Free to him. America, medical bills are the biggest cause of bankruptcy.
I miss my Texas home but just could not take the risk after medical costs rocketed yet again.

What am I rambling about? Google Earth. I see my house there has a very old photo. At least 10 years ago. Hard to tell in Texas in the rainy season - you have to mind not to park over a sapling or you might come back and find your car up a tree. Some very fine 40' trees in our neighbourhood seemed to be reaching the end of their lifespan in 50 years.