PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Turbo prop hours and 737NG rating

lvdreih
20th Mar 2018, 19:22
What are my odds of finding jet work with a frozen ATPL, 2000 hours turbo prop(Multi crew) and 737NG rating(no hours on time)? I like some advise before I spend on rating.....Which would you recommend? Q400 or B 737NG rating?
Now I know some of you would talk bad about own rating, but opportunities are never the same for everyone in different locations....making some of us try to do things that they think could better their chances....so please don't shoot me down if you do not have constructive advise/response...

Love PanAm
11th Apr 2018, 07:46
what is your long term goal?

lvdreih
11th Apr 2018, 09:23
what is your long term goal?

Get into an airline and build flying career

flash8
11th Apr 2018, 12:22
Q400 is going to limit your opportunities... B737CL/NG would be better.... far more opportunity... everywhere, you gotta think long-term!

lvdreih
11th Apr 2018, 16:51
Q400 is going to limit your opportunities... B737CL/NG would be better.... far more opportunity... everywhere, you gotta think long-term!

Really many thanks. I also thought so. So currently am holding south African frozen ATPL. Plan now is to get FAA with Boeing rating and then also transfer rating to the SA license. Rating might be cheaper in USA compare to SA

lvdreih
11th Apr 2018, 20:01
Unless you have a job 'lined up' on the 737 it is a gamble pay for a rating on either.

You need to pass the rating and then find an operator on type AND PASS the interview.. having a type rating doesn't assume a pass. My airline (73 operator) is heavily recruiting but failing many experienced type rated 737 guys at interview.

Ateast there would be hope of getting into interview. means there is hope...All these stories of lack of pilots just seems too overrated.... I currently hold a very good none flying job which I love and working with some great colleagues; and when i leave current job and get back to flying my salary will drop considerably...., but it would be very nice if I can get back flying and develop my career along that line...BUT if am to leave my current job it must be for an aircraft that set me up for the future.....leaving for turbo prop again wouldnt make sense because after prop i would still be struggling to get into jet, so i rather get the rating and hope i get a jet job....

krismiler
12th Apr 2018, 01:03
Line up a job first before shelling out on a rating. The A320 might be a better bet depending on your target area. Without time on type you are at the back of the queue and if you don’t land a job relatively soon after completing the rating you will probably need to do it again later on. Try starting line training 3 years after having last flown the simulator and you will most likely fail as it needs to be fresh in your mind, believe me you will be all over the place and won’t have a clue as you will have forgotten most of it.

Currently the opportunities are in SE Asia, look at Vietjet in Vietnam, Lion Air in Indonesia and Scoot/Jetstar in Singapore.

excrab
24th Apr 2018, 13:37
Other thing to consider is what type of licence do you hold (EASA / FAA / Other),
And where do you have the right to live and work.

Also what type of turbo-prop, if you've been flying multi crew but on a single engine TP that might preclude you from getting jobs with operators who do ZFT training...

And many people will rightly warn you about paying for a type rating, if you have to do it at least try to have a confirmed job offer at the end of it or it could be a very expensive waste of time !!