PDA

View Full Version : Emirates loses in Court

777boyindubai
19th Mar 2018, 19:09
http://www.arabianbusiness.com/transport/392290-emirates-faces-flights-delay-pay-out-after-court-ruling

FlyingUpsideDown
19th Mar 2018, 22:51
“Emirates priority should be looking after its passengers, not finding ways in which they can prevent passengers accessing their rights. They have failed in their attempts to overturn the Court of Appeal Judgement, which now means that millions of pounds worth of compensation is due to its customers. It is time for Emirates to pay what is owed.”

Pretty much sums up the entire airline in one paragraph.

Joker11
20th Mar 2018, 04:16
Maybe they will get off their high horse now!

uplock
20th Mar 2018, 05:13
“Emirates priority should be looking after its passengers, not finding ways in which they can prevent passengers accessing their rights,” commented Andrew Haines, the CAA’s chief executive.

http://www.paddleyourownkanoo.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/emirates_letter.jpeg

Back dated 6 years
Read more here (https://tinyurl.com/y7djj4ru)
What happened?
The row started in February last year when the CAA demanded five non-EU airlines – American Airlines, Emirates, Etihad, Singapore Airlines and Turkish Airlines – change their policy of failing to pay compensation to passengers who arrive at their destination late after missing their connection at a non-EU airport and who meet other compensation criteria.

Emirates took the fight to the Court of Appeal, but had its case thrown out in October last year. Three of the other airlines initially said they were reviewing the judgment but all four have agreed to comply with it. (Except Emirates)

Emirates asked the Supreme Court for permission to appeal against the decision, but it was on March 16 2018 announced that it had been refused.

What does the CAA say?
Chief executive Andrew Haines said: "Emirates' priority should be looking after its passengers, not finding ways in which they can prevent passengers accessing their rights.

"They have failed in their attempts to overturn the Court of Appeal judgment, which now means that millions of pounds' worth of compensation is due to its customers. It is time for Emirates to pay what is owed."

Starbear
20th Mar 2018, 05:56
Oo-er Tim. Now you will sue the UK CAA, right? naw probably not.

Rainman7
20th Mar 2018, 06:24
Looks like someone is having a temper tantraum..... being told no, you have to play by the rules is difficult for some to accept.

touch&go
20th Mar 2018, 09:11
Dear Tim, no one is forcing you to fly to the uk so if you don’t like the fair legal system in the uk then bugger off, oh when you get raped in the uk the police don’t lock up the victim and accuse them of illegal sex. Rant over.

atakacs
20th Mar 2018, 09:20
I don't really have an opinion on the merits of the case and/or the CAA actions but I'm baffled by this letter!

lospilotos
20th Mar 2018, 09:32
Read the date of the letter... It was written after CAA accused Emirates of not following the laws. However, nobody back then knew what the laws were because EU261 had not been tried in the judicial system. Not it has and as far as I know, Emirates will comply. End of story...

atakacs
20th Mar 2018, 09:33
Read the date of the letter... It was written after CAA accused Emirates of not following the laws. However, nobody back then knew what the laws were because EU261 had not been tried in the judicial system. Not it has and as far as I know, Emirates will comply. End of story...

Good point! Thanks

farmpilot
20th Mar 2018, 10:27
So will they back date claims?

OMDB30R
20th Mar 2018, 15:14
This Tim Clarke seems a very evil man, he may hold the title “sir” but he has been shown that he is not above the law full stop, maybe the back dated pay should come out his salary.

Emma Royds
20th Mar 2018, 17:58
I am astonished that your organisation has resorted to such unnecessary intimidation without meaningful consultation and discussion.

People in glass houses shouldn't be throwing stones, as they say! :E

azhkman
21st Mar 2018, 02:36
Dear Tim, no one is forcing you to fly to the uk so if you don’t like the fair legal system in the uk then bugger off, oh when you get raped in the uk the police don’t lock up the victim and accuse them of illegal sex. Rant over.

I'm not sure about that anymore though.

But I agree, EK can pull out of the UK if they don't like the laws. But there is no harm in appealing--so they should not be attacked like a swarm of locusts for seeking a legal review as a corporation.

Xulu
21st Mar 2018, 04:18
The problem I have with it is, the people being compensated would happily incur a 3 hr extra routing to find a €10 discount. Like flying to SYD through SIN. HKG through BKK etc.

Now here we are giving €hundreds to Y pax on a cheap ticket we were only making a few percent profit margin on in the first place.

Compensation should be commensurate with the amount paid for ones ticket.

Joker11
21st Mar 2018, 05:13
Hey. We all got a "Free" ticket for Happiness Day!