PDA

View Full Version : Heavy handed.

G-CPTN
18th Mar 2018, 23:29
Man arrested for terror offences after filming police officer’s bad parking (https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/van-driver-arrested-terror-offences-filming-police-officers-bad-parking/).

Held in custody for 12 hours and strip searched and had his DNA and fingerprints taken under anti-terror laws after he started filming the cops, who were parked illegally outside their own police station - his house was searched and his company van was seized.

racedo
18th Mar 2018, 23:40
Breach of National Police guidelines where members of the Public are quite freely able to film police.

Official complaint plus a good solicitor and Bullying pigs will start to realise they cannot terrorise people filming their bad behaviour.

With any luck Bullying Sergeant will soon be referred to as Constable.

TURIN
18th Mar 2018, 23:49
Is this how it starts?
Have we just wandered into a police state without even blinking?

evansb
18th Mar 2018, 23:51
Indeed. More videos please! Youtube has plenty of video evidence of skiving public service workers, both white and blue collar, some police as well. When caught, most employees are fired, few are charged, and none are ever required to pay back their skived timed. They get severance pay.

UniFoxOs
19th Mar 2018, 08:29

Well some of us did blink long ago, but there was bugger all we could do about it. I just keep my head down, try to keep under their radar. Obnoxious cnuts.

charliegolf
19th Mar 2018, 09:54
Having established I was not a terrorist in round 1, I would film them and report them (for bad parking) day in day out. Let's see if they repeat the treatment. I'd also be looking for an no win lawyer to get me a bung, and my DNA and fingerprints removed from the database.

And, the Mitchell case will hover in the back of any copper's mind who is being asked to lie about the circumstances.

CG

RedhillPhil
19th Mar 2018, 10:05
I wonder what the real story is? Bearing in mind that this has been lifted from "i" who's leanings are a little to the left.

wiggy
19th Mar 2018, 10:13
Bearing in mind that this has been lifted from "i" who's leanings are a little to the left.

Well FWIW Phil the story can also be "lifted" from the Lancashire Post. TBF it looks like the "i" and the LEP have the same parent company but I wonder if you have any thoughts on the LEP's political stance?

https://www.lep.co.uk/news/crime/van-driver-who-filmed-policeman-parked-on-double-yellows-arrested-under-terrorism-act-1-9041054

Pinky the pilot
19th Mar 2018, 10:50
In my travels around South Australia I have seen lots of examples of Police behaving poorly when it comes to Road Traffic Laws.

Such as driving through an intersection where a STOP sign was located, without stopping. Or coming to a Red traffic light, flipping on the flashing lights and driving through the red light. And once across the intersection, turning off the flashing lights. And no, the Copper concerned was not on a call, as purely out of curiousity I followed him at a distance once the light turned green (which was only about 10 seconds later) for the following 10 or so minutes. He was just on Patrol!

Plus parking in a 'No Standing' zone, just to visit the nearby fast food store.

Etc etc etc.

TWT
19th Mar 2018, 10:52
They do it for the same reason that a dog licks its nuts.

ShyTorque
19th Mar 2018, 11:41
They do it for the same reason that a dog licks its nuts.

Itchy nuts?

TWT
19th Mar 2018, 11:42
Because they can.

Animal Mother
19th Mar 2018, 14:31
For a start, the Police weren't parked illegally. This is true for two reasons:

1) Parking is now decriminalised and is now managed by local authorities.

2) Police forces have exemptions allowing them to park on double yellow lines etc. due to operational needs. Yes, this even includes outside a Police station and outside a shop when they are stopping for food. The Police need to be able to respond in a timely manner and having to walk 5 minutes tot he nearest pay and display when there's a P0 or P1 (urgent jobs) just wouldn't work.

It's not an offence to film the Police in a public place, under normal circumstances, but the person filming is required to account for their reasons. If the officer felt that their reasons were insufficient, then they would make further inquiries which have, in this case likely led to the person's arrest.

I for one see no issue with what has gone on, I do take issue with the accuracy and intent of the reporting of the event. The Police are not something to be concerned about, it's the media you should be concerned about, with their twisting of the truth, and lie telling, in order to feed their own agenda.

Andy_S
19th Mar 2018, 14:35
It's not an offence to film the Police in a public place, under normal circumstances, but the person filming is required to account for their reasons. If the officer felt that their reasons were insufficient, then they would make further inquiries which have, in this case likely led to the person's arrest.

It's beginning to sound like something which could have been better handled by both parties.

Animal Mother
19th Mar 2018, 14:36
In my travels around South Australia I have seen lots of examples of Police behaving poorly when it comes to Road Traffic Laws.

Such as driving through an intersection where a STOP sign was located, without stopping. Or coming to a Red traffic light, flipping on the flashing lights and driving through the red light. And once across the intersection, turning off the flashing lights. And no, the Copper concerned was not on a call, as purely out of curiousity I followed him at a distance once the light turned green (which was only about 10 seconds later) for the following 10 or so minutes. He was just on Patrol!

Plus parking in a 'No Standing' zone, just to visit the nearby fast food store.

Etc etc etc.

I'll address your points one by one:

Police have exemptions which allow them to travel through STOP signs.

Police have exemptions which allow them to travel through red stop lights.

Police do not (and don't have to) use their emergency equipment (lights and sirens) for the entire response journey. They should use them at junctions/intersections for safety reasons.

"He was just on Patrol" - How do you know? He may have been responding and then cancelled. He may have been attending a burglary where the use of emergency equipment may spook the intruder. There's lots of scenarios and you've not got enough information to make those assumptions.

treadigraph
19th Mar 2018, 14:40
From wiggy's link:

Police arrested him under the Terrorism Act 2000 after what is believed to be the third time he was warned not to film the station. He had been found filming twice in 2017 before his arrest in January.

He sounds like a self-righteous little prat with an agenda to me, though I don't suppose many on here will agree.

Animal Mother
19th Mar 2018, 14:41
It's beginning to sound like something which could have been better handled by both parties.

The issue is, we don't know (and likely never will) know exactly what was said, nor what actions were taken by the arrested person.

What everyone needs to bear in mind is that an arrest is merely a process that is carried out to facilitate the investigation. It doesn't mean that the person is guilty or perceived to be guilty of a specific offence. The arrested person may have refused to provide certain details. In some circumstances, that is grounds for arrest in order to establish someone's identity. As for the strip search, they may have been uncooperative in custody and physically refused to allow themselves to be searched (for items that can cause harm to themselves or others) and therefore had to be strip searched.

As I said, there is likely to be more about this than what is reported.

RedhillPhil
19th Mar 2018, 14:43
Well FWIW Phil the story can also be "lifted" from the Lancashire Post. TBF it looks like the "i" and the LEP have the same parent company but I wonder if you have any thoughts on the LEP's political stance?

https://www.lep.co.uk/news/crime/van-driver-who-filmed-policeman-parked-on-double-yellows-arrested-under-terrorism-act-1-9041054

Dunno about the LEP but I do know there's always two sides. Particularly as sprog number one is a policeman of some years standing who was involved in one of those, "the police harassed me for nothing" stories that made the nationals a few years ago.
YouTube is full of smart-arses goading the police in situations where in lesser countries would see them arrested at best and shot at worst.

Animal Mother
19th Mar 2018, 14:43
Is this how it starts?

No and no.

...and to think we are is an insult to those who have lived (and died) under the persecution of an actual Police State.

Animal Mother
19th Mar 2018, 14:46
From the article:

“It’s one of those things that really, really riles me. They have one rule for themselves and one rule for us."

Correct. There are many examples where rules forthe public do not apply (at all times) to Police Officers (and ALL OTHER blue light emergency services).

Do you think the same chap would have filmed and ambulance or fire appliance on double yellow lines and complained? I doubt it.

Thomas coupling
19th Mar 2018, 15:13
Christ.

For a minute, I thought it was another nutter activity from the USA.......

For this to happen in the UK, raises some concern, I would suggest.
I'm going to side with the police on this one and put it down to the police's naivety in not really knowing their rights or the rights of the person filming them.

So they decided the solution was to arrest him. Typical local cop response, if you ask me :ugh::ugh:

Jack D
19th Mar 2018, 18:15
An obviously irritating twerp imo. Perhaps the handcufffs were a bridge too far though . Iíll wager he does this sort of thing on a regular basis ..

Tankertrashnav
19th Mar 2018, 18:57
And if he does?

Gertrude the Wombat
19th Mar 2018, 19:02
He sounds like a self-righteous little prat with an agenda to me, though I don't suppose many on here will agree.
Oh yes, I know such people. But the police round here have more sense than to arrest them - they've got better things to spend their time on.

Zeus
19th Mar 2018, 19:07
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Gertrude the Wombat
19th Mar 2018, 19:15
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
The nutters watch the police and the police watch the nutters. Every now and then one of the nutters spots something interesting that needs fixing - whether that positive value that they do deliver makes up for the hassle they cause the rest of the time is a matter of opinion.

Jack D
19th Mar 2018, 19:16
Bigger guards

ShyTorque
19th Mar 2018, 20:21
Because they can.

A dinner guest once saw our old dog doing it and said:
"I wish I could do that!"

I said: "Why not throw him a bit of dinner and see if he'll let you."

Guest = :yuk:

TWT
19th Mar 2018, 20:45
I wouldn't like a police officers job.

I was watching one of those 'Motorway Patrol' programs last night and the officers did a traffic stop to breath test a driver. The driver blew under the limit but the officer gave him a caution for having an unrestrained dog on the front passenger seat. The smartarse driver then started saying that the officer wasn't doing his job properly and he should be given a ticket for breaking the law !

The officer eventually declined to write the ticket even though he was being criticised and goaded by the driver. There was a good reason for the caution, as the dog had recently had surgery and being put in the back tray of the vehicle may have been dangerous for it.

The police have to deal with a lot of 'difficult' people every day.

Pinky the pilot
20th Mar 2018, 03:27
Animal Mother; In England maybe so, but not in South Australia.

And a currently serving SAPOL member informed me of this.