PDA

View Full Version : Gif file?

finncapt
18th Mar 2018, 17:53
My father in law has a Samsung galaxy tab a.

He took a series of pictures, at a birthday party, and they seem to have conflated? into a gif file such that, when one views them, they produce an animation? which takes a few seconds.

He asked me to get them back to being separate pictures.

I don't have a clue how to do it, any suggestions?

I have no idea how he managed to do it in the first place, any suggestions?

I have tried giggling but am probably asking the wrong questions.

Thanks in advance.

aerobelly
18th Mar 2018, 18:43
My father in law has a Samsung galaxy tab a.

He took a series of pictures, at a birthday party, and they seem to have conflated? into a gif file such that, when one views them, they produce an animation? which takes a few seconds.

He asked me to get them back to being separate pictures.

Gifsicle is the tool I use for such operations <https://www.lcdf.org/gifsicle/>

" Gifsicle is a command-line tool for creating, editing, and getting information about GIF images and animations.

Extracting frames from animations is easy too:

gifsicle anim.gif '#0' > firstframe.gif

Licence: GPL V2 -- if that means nothing it's free as in beer, some restrictions on reselling it.

'b

Jhieminga
19th Mar 2018, 14:05
Is he by any chance looking at 'Events' in the Gallery app? I'm not all that familiar with Android tablets, but if this is the case, he is probably looking at an automatically produced slideshow. Switching back to 'Time' or 'Albums' should show the photos as they were taken, as single shots.

See here: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00050638/

finncapt
19th Mar 2018, 15:41
Ab

Thanks for that, my suggestion was he send me the file and I would use gimp, or something else on my linux machine, but will note your idea for future reference.

Jh

Don't think that is the problem but, again, will note that.

In the event, he has deleted the file (not a patient man, typically Finnish) so I will never find out what is possible.

I did find that Samsung has some clever? program for making animated gifs, whatever they may be, and wondered whether that had been enabled by accident.

Thanks to both of you.