PDA

View Full Version : Carriage of bike bags on ZED tickets

CX-HOR
18th Mar 2018, 01:21
Hi all in the land of sand.

Looking to travel to Europe from Oz with a bike bag on Emirates on a ZED ticket. I have checked the website for restrictions (having been stung $150USD when trying to use Lufthansa). The bag would exceed the 150cm total dimension limit. I have tried to confirm directly if I would be charged if I did not exceed any other limitation (weight etc) but wasn't filled with confidence being only able to talk to someone in a faceless call-centre in the Phillipines.

If someone has had direct experience travelling ID with a bike bag, I would really appreciate knowing what happened. Thanks in advance.

aeropix
18th Mar 2018, 02:32
I can't answer your question but I can sympathize about LH. When I checked a 2nd bag they charged me $100, but the ZED fare itself was only $80. I was really surprised and a bit angry about that, I almost thought about buying a second ZED ticket which for my bag as it would be cheaper than paying the bag fee...

givemewings
18th Mar 2018, 06:27
Well, they charged me when using an annual leave ticket for 2kg over, and when I left the company they tried to charge me a few thousand as I was 5kg over and the staff were extremely rude to boot. Luckily a very nice duty manager helped me to get the bags down and then came back and said I could take it since a lot of people boarded with way less than 30kg, but by that time it was too late to repack so I just left the stuff.

And I was an employee, so I wouldn't get your hopes up. I suppose it can depend on the airport, in my experience outstations have always been much better than Dubai at looking after staff (any staff!)

Have you tried calling one of the local Aussie offices to check?