PDA

View Full Version : BBC website sign-in.

G-CPTN
16th Mar 2018, 18:53
The BBC website is progressively closing off access unless you 'sign in' - and they promise to 'keep you signed in'.

gemma10
16th Mar 2018, 19:00
I`ve noticed this but surely you have the password stored in Tools/Options.

Smeagol
16th Mar 2018, 19:03
If it bothers you just make up the sign in details:E:E:E

I did. It works.

VP959
16th Mar 2018, 19:10
If it bothers you just make up the sign in details:E:E:E

I did. It works.

It does sort of work, but seems to fall over if you connect to the BBC via a VPN, I've found. My guess is that the BBC are gradually tightening up on who can view their content - probably with the aim of restricting the use of iPlayer, but they seem to be doing it as clumsily as they have managed their news website, which is frankly pretty dire anyway.

Gertrude the Wombat
16th Mar 2018, 20:50
The BBC website is progressively closing off access unless you 'sign in' - and they promise to 'keep you signed in'.
I managed to hold off until I missed the first episode of HHGG - there are limits.

DType
16th Mar 2018, 21:52
They didn't accept my 'made up' email address, so I still haven't signed in.

Gertrude the Wombat
16th Mar 2018, 22:32
They didn't accept my 'made up' email address, so I still haven't signed in.
I usually make up an address on a domain that I own (eg [email protected]). That way I get to see who has sold the addresses on.

cargosales
17th Mar 2018, 00:17
I usually make up an address on a domain that I own (eg [email protected]). That way I get to see who has sold the addresses on.

Ahhhhh, now that's a good idea ...

DType
17th Mar 2018, 10:52
GtW
Thanks, that seems to work.
They also accepted my birthday at April 1st (actually, that's our wedding anniversary!)

artschool
17th Mar 2018, 16:42
It does sort of work, but seems to fall over if you connect to the BBC via a VPN, I've found. My guess is that the BBC are gradually tightening up on who can view their content - probably with the aim of restricting the use of iPlayer, but they seem to be doing it as clumsily as they have managed their news website, which is frankly pretty dire anyway.

I hope they password protect it with individual tv licence numbers.

VP959
17th Mar 2018, 16:51
I hope they password protect it with individual tv licence numbers.

The flaw with that is that you don't need any licence to listen to BBC radio, or BBC radio on iPlayer, and haven't done for years.

G-CPTN
17th Mar 2018, 17:17
The flaw with that is that you don't need any licence to listen to BBC radio, or BBC radio on iPlayer, and haven't done for years.

Yet the BBC are demanding email address and postcode details . . .

I continue to receive threatening letters from some authority checking on unlicensed premises - they are more persistent than the Readers Digest.

VP959
17th Mar 2018, 17:23

I continue to receive threatening letters from some authority checking on unlicensed premises - they are more persistent than the Readers Digest.

A friend of mine who hates TV and has never owned one or watched any TV programmes online, get's very angry about their persistent nagging, as it seems they cannot understand why someone would voluntarily choose not to watch any TV programmes. Knowing the chap fairly well (he is somewhere on the autistic scale) I can fully understand his point of view; he simply has no interest in TV at all, but does listen to the radio all the time.

Gertrude the Wombat
17th Mar 2018, 17:25
I have for a couple of years now been ignoring ones saying "we're going to knock on your door in the next few days". Really anyone who's ever had a toddler knows that threats that aren't followed through are a complete waste of time.

G-CPTN
17th Mar 2018, 18:18
I 'ignore' the threats, however it leaves me with a slight anxiety, and I can well imagine that some people will get deeply upset.
If I was to send unsolicited threatening letters like they do I would end up in court.

Why are they allowed to do so?

I look forward to a face-to-face encounter where I can tell them what effect it can have on someone less-grounded than myself.

Gertrude the Wombat
17th Mar 2018, 18:33
I look forward to a face-to-face encounter
I'm not holding my breath - I don't actually expect them ever to turn up.

G-CPTN
17th Mar 2018, 18:35
I've just hatched a plot where I inform the callers that the house-owner hanged themself because of their threats.

cargosales
17th Mar 2018, 19:11
It sometimes pays to work with these people, if only for your own sanity and blood pressure.

I haven't had a TV for quite a few years now and every two years or so get a letter from them asking if that is still right.

A very quick - 5 mins - phone call to them does the trick .. inviting them to pop round any time they like but equally checking that what I'm watching on the pooter, and on which platforms, still falls within the law.

Job done, smiles all round and I've never had a threatening letter from them.

CS

Gertrude the Wombat
17th Mar 2018, 19:13
It sometimes pays to work with these people, if only for your own sanity and blood pressure.

I haven't had a TV for quite a few years now and every two years or so get a letter from them asking if that is still right.

A very quick - 5 mins - phone call to them does the trick .. inviting them to pop round any time they like but equally checking that what I'm watching on the pooter, and on which platforms, still falls within the law.

Job done, smiles all round and I've never had a threatening letter from them.
We did the once-every-two-years for a while, then they said "we won't bother you again", then they didn't bother us again for a number of years, and now they've broken their promise and started sending threatening letters.

G-CPTN
17th Mar 2018, 19:54
they said "we won't bother you again", and now they've broken their promise and started sending threatening letters.

Same here.

radeng
18th Mar 2018, 19:58
Gertrude

I managed to hold off until I missed the first episode of HHGG - there are limits.

Are you referring to 'The Hexagonal Phase' currently running? I am very unimpressed - it just doesn't seem to have the flair or the magic of the first radio series all those years ago.......of which I have the BBC cassette tapes and still occasionally listen to them again.

VP959
18th Mar 2018, 20:07
Gertrude

Are you referring to 'The Hexagonal Phase' currently running? I am very unimpressed - it just doesn't seem to have the flair or the magic of the first radio series all those years ago.......of which I have the BBC cassette tapes and still occasionally listen to them again.

I'm afraid I agree, and I just rescued the cassette tapes that my other half was trying to throw out of my recordings from the radio of the original radio series, along with my tapes of the John Lennon interviews...............

Pity, but then I rather think that Douglas Adams was a very unique individual, and a damned hard act to follow.

llondel
18th Mar 2018, 20:46
I used to regularly ignore their letters in the days when I didn't have a TV, I figured I didn't have to talk to them so I wouldn't. I will admit to stooping low enough to leave an old 9" VT220 terminal in the lounge where it could be seen through a window. I think the inspector called once but I was at work, and they never did bother to turn up when I was at home, which is a great shame. Their 'best' effort was the 'pay within seven days or else', on a tasteful red background and a disclaimer at the bottom in minuscule print to say that if I didn't have a TV I didn't need a licence. I waited the seven days and 'or else' turned out to be a non-event.

artschool
18th Mar 2018, 20:52

there is no flaw in my plan :)

the only flaw would be that no one would pay the tv licence fee without all the threats and harassment.

thats why the BBC won't password protect the website, its easy to do just like Netflix.

Gertrude the Wombat
18th Mar 2018, 21:00
Gertrude

I'm not very impressed either, but of course I didn't know that until I'd heard the first episode.

The first ever episode of HHGG I heard completely by accident (just happened to have the radio on). A few weeks later I was on a canal trip with a bunch of my mates, and I was all set to leave the pub early to get back to the boat to listen to that night's episode when all my mates did likewise. Turned out they'd been at school with Douglas Adams.

[Edit] Oh, and they told me who some of the other characters named in the series were (eg the galaxy's second worst poet), being more school mates.

dsc810
18th Mar 2018, 23:18
I've not had a TV for decades.
The BBC send me their monthly sh*t letters - every month.
The implied threats vary as does the content of the letters.
They go in a sequence of ever more aggressiveness...and then they start the sequence again.
I just ignore them
They made one actual visit when I was out, so much good that did.

They are scum and can fk off so far as I care; I hate 'em.

Krystal n chips
19th Mar 2018, 06:02
I've not had a TV for decades.
The BBC send me their monthly sh*t letters - every month.
The implied threats vary as does the content of the letters.
They go in a sequence of ever more aggressiveness...and then they start the sequence again.
I just ignore them
They made one actual visit when I was out, so much good that did.

They are scum and can fk off so far as I care; I hate 'em.

Thank heavens, yet again, for that bastion of public spirited reporting......the Mail !

Sadly, despite the rabid enthusiasm on here for all things anti Beeb, in this case, they are not directly responsible for collections and the infamous letter....

Enter, as defined in "Private Eye" and featured in the publication with an almost "reserved for" column, good old Crapita ....( another testimony to the JB hallowed and fulsome praises of privatisation )....

BBC investigating TV licence fee collectors - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39100048)

So efficient are they, one was amused to receive said letter shortly after arrival in ones new hovel last year.

Unfortunately, prior to moving, I had changed my address on the helpful website being perfectly happy to pay the licence fee given the value for money it represents ( leaving aside the aberration of 24hr saturation coverage of a certain event in May which may be even worse if Chelsea get to the Cup final ) and had the confirmation email to this effect.

G-CPTN
13th Apr 2018, 17:28
BBC News website is becoming more and more difficult to navigate without demanding that you 'sign in' (which I am refusing to do).

I am trying to access Regional News.

Edited to add:- I have managed to bypass the front-end by using a search engine to find 'BBC Regional news'.

Spartacan
13th Apr 2018, 19:32
I created an email address which I only use for the BBC log on. The post code is BBC TV Centre and I've aged to at least 80 so don't even need a TV licence. They only interrogate you if you tick the 'I don't have a TV licence' box.

Obviously I do have a TV licence but I resent being tracked on the very rare occasions I watch anything.

Doing it this way I feel reasonably private about my viewing and I am operating entirely within the law. Besides, I live on an island up a private lane where TV Licence vans are not welcome . . .

Sallyann1234
13th Apr 2018, 20:06
I created an email address which I only use for the BBC log on. The post code is BBC TV Centre...
You as well? It's getting very crowded here. :ok:

old,not bold
13th Apr 2018, 23:49
I usually make up an address on a domain that I ownI have a domain registered with fake details, cheap as chips, tenner every 2 years or something like that, with up to 5 email accounts. I use these plus the personal details of an imaginary friend whenever some data farmer demands to have all this. Every couple of months I delete all the emails in the accounts, usually several hundred.

Ogre
14th Apr 2018, 00:07
I tried logging on to some BBC website to watch the MacGregor brothers tribute to the RAF. "You have to have a login for this" said the website, so I followed the process to create a login right up till the point it asked for my credit card details even though it promised not to charge me anything.

At that point I went looking for YouTube.....

Highway1
14th Apr 2018, 00:08
BBC News website is becoming more and more difficult to navigate without demanding that you 'sign in' (which I am refusing to do).

I am trying to access Regional News.

Edited to add:- I have managed to bypass the front-end by using a search engine to find 'BBC Regional news'.

i have never been asked to sign in - I even checked with regional news and it works fine. Perhaps it is only UK based IP addresses?

Ogre
14th Apr 2018, 00:10
i have never been asked to sign in - I even checked with regional news and it works fine. Perhaps it is only UK based IP addresses?

Obviously I got the website they outsourced to their Nigerian office....

Fairdealfrank
19th Apr 2018, 23:02
Quote:
Originally Posted by VP959 https://www.pprune.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (https://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/606661-bbc-website-sign.html#post10087162)

Good old fashioned data harvesting, nothing more nothing less.....

Mr Optimistic
19th Apr 2018, 23:12
I am not so sure. Is this preparation for a new revenue model?

Loose rivets
19th Apr 2018, 23:18
I laugh at the TV licence demands. Have done for years. Hah hah hah, I go. But then someone says, But that means, statistically, you're going to die soon.

Oh, f:mad:in' heck. Can't anything be free and to one's advantage?

I suppose the picture of a bunny with a pancake on its head is still free. :bored:

Gertrude the Wombat
19th Apr 2018, 23:34
I laugh at the TV licence demands. Have done for years. Hah hah hah, I go. But then someone says, But that means, statistically, you're going to die soon.
Eh??? - surely there must be health benefits to not watching television, as you've got all that time to do other stuff, like real life, a lot of which actually involves moving off the couch?

BigEndBob
19th Apr 2018, 23:39
I like the TV licensing letter that states "Will you be in on the 25th"

Probably not.....

G-CPTN
19th Apr 2018, 23:46
I haven't watched television for ten years - since digital transmissions were introduced - so I do not need a TV licence.
I do listen to the radio - which doesn't require a licence - yet I am 'prevented from listening to past radio transmissions unless I provide all my personal details.

Having seen what has happened to those using Facebook (I never have joined - I decided very early on that the requirement for membership was too intrusive) I am not prepared to provide the BBC with the personal details that they are demanding.

VP959
20th Apr 2018, 08:25
I haven't watched television for ten years - since digital transmissions were introduced - so I do not need a TV licence.
I do listen to the radio - which doesn't require a licence - yet I am 'prevented from listening to past radio transmissions unless I provide all my personal details.

Having seen what has happened to those using Facebook (I never have joined - I decided very early on that the requirement for membership was too intrusive) I am not prepared to provide the BBC with the personal details that they are demanding.

It's drifting off-topic a bit, but like you, I never joined FB, but members of my family have and they have posted details about me, including photos, I recently found out (an old friend found me via one of their FB entries and got my contact details). As I understand it, FB are now seeking to apply facial recognition software to all images on their platform, so even if you are not a user, and have never registered, there is a chance that FB will still be collecting personal data about you by other means.

I've yet to see this raised by anyone as yet another potential privacy problem in the making.

glad rag
20th Apr 2018, 10:56
Thank heavens, yet again, for that bastion of public spirited reporting......the Mail !

Sadly, despite the rabid enthusiasm on here for all things anti Beeb, in this case, they are not directly responsible for collections and the infamous letter....

Enter, as defined in "Private Eye" and featured in the publication with an almost "reserved for" column, good old Crapita ....( another testimony to the JB hallowed and fulsome praises of privatisation )....

BBC investigating TV licence fee collectors - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39100048)

So efficient are they, one was amused to receive said letter shortly after arrival in ones new hovel last year.

Unfortunately, prior to moving, I had changed my address on the helpful website being perfectly happy to pay the licence fee given the value for money it represents ( leaving aside the aberration of 24hr saturation coverage of a certain event in May which may be even worse if Chelsea get to the Cup final ) and had the confirmation email to this effect.

This will be right up your street mate.

The BBC is recognised by audiences in the UK and around the world as a provider of news that you can trust.

Learn how the BBC is working to strengthen trust and transparency in online news - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/help-41670342)

Tech Guy
20th Apr 2018, 12:34
I signed in using a [email protected] email. :)

Gertrude the Wombat
20th Apr 2018, 12:48
I've yet to see this raised by anyone as yet another potential privacy problem in the making.
You haven't been following the techie press then. El Reg discusses this stuff regularly for example.

SID PLATE
20th Apr 2018, 12:54
Slightly off topic ... Went to Westfield shopping centre and tried to use their 'free' wifi. They required an email address, no doubt so they could sent out unrequested marketing information. I signed in using the address of my company's obnoxious HR manager.
... wouldn't her to miss out on the Primark summer sale ..

Krystal n chips
20th Apr 2018, 16:38
You haven't been following the techie press then. El Reg discusses this stuff regularly for example.

Understandable in the techie world GTW, but for us non techies, the mainstream media suffices....

Facebook seeks facial recognition consent in EU and Canada - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-43797128)

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/apr/18/facebook-facial-recognition-gdpr-targeted-advertising

The unfortunate little matter of FB and, erm, privacy should prove worth watching therefore.

As the articles were only published a couple of days ago, it's understandable that anybody who may have been preoccupied elsewhere could have missed them.

@glad rag.

Good link there....:ok:...should ensure some of the nations BP rises like the current temps.;):E