PDA

View Full Version : Prof Stephen Hawking???

unclenelli
16th Mar 2018, 00:06
What has happened to the Stephen Hawking Tribute thread????

Has he found that there is an Afterlife here on Pprune?

Gertrude the Wombat
16th Mar 2018, 00:26
The cyberspace afterlife is X-Clacks-Overhead.

B Fraser
16th Mar 2018, 08:22
It's yer entropy, innit !

The thread has slipped through a wormhole and vanished in a puff of logic leaving only a faint glow of radiation in its' wake.

hiflymk3
16th Mar 2018, 09:22
Didn't you know? JB is a Black Hole. :eek:

Sir Niall Dementia
16th Mar 2018, 09:34
Actually someone pressed Ctrl Alt Delete, currently his system is re-booting.

:E Hat, Coat, Taxi!!

SND

Wholigan
16th Mar 2018, 20:16
The thread starter deleted it.

cattletruck
29th Mar 2018, 12:04
The things you would never expect. Just found out one of our staffers was an assistant to Prof S. Hawking at Cambridge over 25 years ago. Having a Phd in Physics, he looks back at it as interesting times but it appears he was never too keen on being the backup nurse and chauffeur. A kind of frantic existence with too many distractions he chose not to renew his tenure when it expired.

chevvron
29th Mar 2018, 14:46
How long before someone starts dredging up rumours about Ken Dodd?

hiflymk3
29th Mar 2018, 15:28
How long before someone starts dredging up rumours about Ken Dodd?

And what else he did with his tickling stick. Not to mention the Knotty Hash.

Tankertrashnav
29th Mar 2018, 18:25
Interesting to see that Hawking, who was well known as an atheist, is due to have his ashes interred in Westminster Abbey.

jindabyne
30th Mar 2018, 11:08
Rather like Wogan's memorial service, Tanker

G-CPTN
30th Mar 2018, 11:33
Interesting to see that Hawking, who was well known as an atheist, is due to have his ashes interred in Westminster Abbey.

For a non-believer, whatever happens to their mortal remains is irrelevant (a concept with which I am, myself, struggling), however SH's 'grave' will remain as a memorial for those who are alive.

I was introduce to the concept of 'heaven' as being the memories of the departed by the remainers. Even those who never knew the departed can assist in keeping the departed in 'heaven' by their thoughts about the departed.

Heaven is not a physical place, but a concept (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heaven) - that even the Aboriginals understand.

Heaven, or the heavens, is a common religious, cosmological, or transcendent place where beings such as gods, angels, spirits, saints, or venerated ancestors are said to originate.

funfly
30th Mar 2018, 11:49
G-CPTN
totally in agreement with you, I see that the Pope has just announced that people who go to hell simply no longer exist, however I think your idea covers that as well better than his latest prouncement.

chopper2004
31st Mar 2018, 14:48
RIP Sir

His funeral is happening right now as we speak at our Great St Mary's Church, opposite Kings College

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/

A friend of mine, worked for him around 17/18 years ago as one of his assistants.

Initially there was speculation he would be laid to rest amongst the greater academics in a university owned graveyard off Huntingdon road

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/cambridge-news/where-will-hawking-stephen-buried-14408547

But it seems the remains will go further up by a mile or so to the crem and susbequent ashes final journey will be in Westminster.

cheers

VP959
31st Mar 2018, 16:12
Despite him being an atheist, I can think of no more fitting resting place for his ashes than next to Sir Isaac Newton. Religious belief doesn't come into it, but, as with Newton's final resting place, people in centuries to come will want to see the final resting place of Prof Hawking, a man who achieved as much, perhaps more, than Sir Isaac in his lifetime.

It's also fitting in that Prof Hawking held the Lucasian Chair from 1979 to 2009, and Sir Isaac held the same Chair from 1669 to 1702.

Tankertrashnav
31st Mar 2018, 18:30
Just to be clear - I have no problem whatsoever with Hawking's ashes being interred in the Abbey. I only wonder what the man himself would have thought about it? The French of course have their Pantheon in Paris, which although originally a church is now a secular mausoleum. Perhaps with the rise in atheism we could do with something similar here.

Tom Cundall
31st Mar 2018, 18:49
Too late for his ashes to go in the glovebox of that Tesla? Now, that'd be a nice way to end up, drifting through the cosmos in a sportscar.

B Fraser
31st Mar 2018, 19:32
As test flights of new rockets need a dummy payload, there's a motorised wheelchair that is no longer needed by the owner. Perhaps it could be sent off on a journey through the solar system. I think he would rather like that.

G-CPTN
31st Mar 2018, 19:37
As test flights of new rockets need a dummy payload, there's a motorised wheelchair that is no longer needed by the owner. Perhaps it could be sent off on a journey through the solar system. I think he would rather like that.

As an alternative to cremation?

B Fraser
1st Apr 2018, 08:18
I don't think they are going to cremate his wheelchair.

funfly
1st Apr 2018, 14:10
One thing he was able to prove that, with all the brains in the world, he wasn't able to understand women.

Gertrude the Wombat
1st Apr 2018, 16:15
"That's what they should teach us here. How girls' brains work... It would be more useful than divination, anyway..."

VP959
1st Apr 2018, 16:17
"That's what they should teach us here. How girls' brains work... It would be more useful than divination, anyway..."

Some things are possible, some things are difficult, some things are extremely difficult and some thing are impossible.

I fear that understanding how the female brain works probably falls in the "impossible" category.

hiflymk3
1st Apr 2018, 16:59
Some things are possible, some things are difficult, some things are extremely difficult and some thing are impossible.

I fear that understanding how the female brain works probably falls in the "impossible" category.

And it's that that makes the opposite sex interesting.