PDA

View Full Version : Baker's cyst & flying

TikkiRo
22nd Jul 2002, 16:34
Help - I'm a PPL student heading over to SA on Friday for 3 weeks training but I've got a major problem with cysts in both knees - right worse than left. MRI done recently but results not in yet - so now I need to know.... 1) What are the chances of a cyst rupturing with the pressure on the longhaul flight and 2) would admission of these cause me any problems with my medical to be taken on Monday coming??? If I can't get them settled before I leave my only option will be to do as I had to out there last year and get them injected by the local GP - means 3 days grounding but better than the 2 weeks I'll otherwise have if one or both rupture. They're not so much a problem during training other than for rudder use, but I can cope with that for short durations - intending on getting braces on to them as soon as I get them down enough to do so safely.

Any suggestions as to what else I could do for the longhaul flight though would be welcome.

Thanks as ever
TR

Background Noise
24th Jul 2002, 10:33
I think you would be wise to ask a doctor. Whilst I do not know what would happen to the cyst(s) I know that they can (even at ground level) cause or help to cause a DVT because of the pressure and possible restriction around the popliteal vein.

My, non-professional, advice on the tansit would definitely be to take all measures to help prevent a DVT. Seriously consider wearing support stockings and keep moving and don't get dehydrated. At the very least read up on DVT. Also try searching for Baker's Cyst and DVT, there's lots there.

If you get a DVT, not only is it potentially life threatening, but you would then be off flying for around 6 months.

TikkiRo
24th Jul 2002, 10:46
Thank you SO much BN - that's just the sort of informative reply I was hoping for and actually a bit of a surprise to me. I wasn't aware that they could be responsible for a DVT as I've been insistent I didn't have risks for that and thus wasn't intending on wearing flight socks - you've changed my mind on that one - think I'll also do the aspirin bit just to make doubly sure. I've talked to my GP yesterday but she's not very knowledgeable about what to do either and has suggested I just wear the knee braces - that still concerns me heavily but at this point I think I've little choice - quite possibly no matter what I do I'll end up with problems anyway again so suppose I'll take my chances and see where I get to. Truly appreciate the info though - you've been much more helpful than my GP even!!

Thanks
TR:)

QDMQDMQDM
24th Jul 2002, 11:10
The thing about Baker's Cysts is that they form part of the differential diagnosis for DVT, not that they actually cause DVT. I wouldn't get too worried about it.

QDM

AngleAndAttack
24th Jul 2002, 11:52
I had a baker cyste remowed from one knee in `78.

They told me it was harmless.Never had any problem since.

Background Noise
24th Jul 2002, 22:27
QDM - yes they are differential diagnoses but read this:

http://www.merck.com/pubs/mmanual/section5/chapter59/59f.htm

Either way its got to be an aggravating factor. Add that to long haul and I think you've got a higher chance of trouble.

I've had a DVT, its not much fun and I'm still off flying.

TikkiRo
25th Jul 2002, 11:58
Ah well - got me flight socks and knee supports as directed by (all) the doctors - so will just have to go for it and see what happens. If the right one hadn't ruptured last year with minimal force (I stood up basically!) and at a point when it wasn't even known about, I would be less concerned but considering it's now pretty huge and causing a lot of discomfort I tend to be a lot more concerned for that happening again. And as you say, the difficulty is going to be that if it does, because I'll have been on a longhaul flight they'll have no choice but to consider a DVT as a diff dx - thus more than likely putting me in hospital, which my insurers are quibbling over covering! All great fun. All I need now is for my GP to say she's now not going to provide me with a "fit to travel" letter and I'll be well and truly snookered if problems arise from this.

Although you say not to get too worried about it QDM, I would like to think you'd understand my concerns on this as a pilot as mich as anything else - it's an issue that is now constantly preventing my progression with my PPL training as I end up getting grounded constantly while getting injections to settle them. :( Can only hope I get some better help on my return when the MRI results are finally in.

I'll repost later on if there's any info of interest on this topic.

Regards and thanks to you all in the meantime.
TR

BN - thanks for the link - again, interesting reading that is useful to be aware of.