PDA

View Full Version : No Thanks FIFA

meadowrun
15th Mar 2018, 19:25
Vancouver has withdrawn its bid for some future FIFA World Cup.
Don't like the projected and unknown expenses.
Don't like mega-expenses for a bit of sport.
Don't like the anytime override clause FIFA demands on stadium budgets. No appeals, just anything FIFA wants.
Don't think much of FIFA in general. (I mailed them a poppy last year)
Supporters are decrying the loss of marketing opportunities and exposure to 203 FIFA nations, all that TV and the loss of much revenue to the few.

We don't need an ultra-expensive sporting event to market Vancouver to the world. They know who and where we are and un-checked growth is not a be all, end-all or sane goal for the future. Just don't need it. We are running out of room - most of us is up and down type terrain. Can't even keep up with reasonable housing availablities now. Moderation seems wise.
The world does not end with soccer. Move on.

akindofmagic
15th Mar 2018, 19:28
I'm sure FIFA are devastated.

funfly
15th Mar 2018, 19:45
Where is Vancouver?

MFC_Fly
15th Mar 2018, 19:56
Where is Vancouver?
It's a place??? :ooh:

I thought it was a tarpaulin for a small white delivery vehicle :ok:

lomapaseo
15th Mar 2018, 19:56
Where is Vancouver?

far north of real money and they intend to keep it that way

Gertrude the Wombat
15th Mar 2018, 22:43
We don't need an ultra-expensive sporting event to market Vancouver to the world. They know who and where we are ...
I go to Vancouver for the floatplane rides - next visit scheduled this summer :ok:

llondel
16th Mar 2018, 01:35
Where is Vancouver?

Just on the Washington side of the border with Oregon, just north of Portland. :E

Helena Handbasket
16th Mar 2018, 01:42
Where is Vancouver?
Ho Ho. What a knee slapper!!
Vancouver is still paying for the 2010 Winter Olympic bun fest. We were not allowed to know how much it cost. That information is sealed for 20 years. Now Vancouverites are asked to give the most corrupt organization in the world a blank cheque for another party. FIFA were told to go pee up a rope. As for the other comments: you are welcome to come an visit us, but don't expect to live here. The median price of a house in Vancouver just hit $3 million and an apartment, $1 million. The most expensive city in North America. We don't all live in caves.....

TWT
16th Mar 2018, 01:43
Good decision Vancouver.

Maybe FIFA should build some facilities in Switzerland at their own expense and hold the World Cups there every 4 years. They're running out of suckers.

Captivep
16th Mar 2018, 08:07
I thought the FIFA world cup was awarded to a country, not a city...

Hydromet
16th Mar 2018, 09:46
Vancouver, a lovely city, is showing more commonsense than the NSW government, which is planning to demolish the stadium that was built for the 2000 Olympics and Sydney Football stadium, built 1988, to build new ones. Our government is in thrall to the developers and big sporting clubs who want new stadia. If these places are going to bring in so much money, let the clubs build them, and let the government get back to doing what it should do.

meadowrun
16th Mar 2018, 09:55

This was a bit strange. apparently the bid encompassed some cities in Mexico, the US And Canada. Other than YVR, not sure what the other cities were but that's one big party footprint for the fifa boys.

Actual Football seems to be hardly mentioned anymore in these things.
The World Cup seems to have morphed into a very, very expensive event - like the circus! - not a series of football games for a championship.
Wonder how Rio's doing?

rigpiggy
16th Mar 2018, 11:18
Kind of like the nhl's midget crying poor about calgarys saddledome...... 6 th highest grossing team in the league, but they need more seats, or they will move. I've been to 5 games this year, but we will be seeing ya.....

david1300
16th Mar 2018, 11:28
Just take a look at South Africa - they hosted a soccer World Cup recently. Stadiums (stadia) were purpose built in a soccer -dominant country. Some are now unused and cost too much to maintain and too much to demolish so they will be left derelict and deteriorating. Soccer World Cup - any right minded country/city should say no thank you

SMT Member
16th Mar 2018, 18:09
It's still possible to have a football world cup without having to build a phalanx of new stadiums with a shelf-life of 3 to 4 weeks. There are 4 or 5 nations in Europe who could easily host such an event using existing infrastructure, and another dozen or so neighbouring countries who, if they ganged up 2 or 3, could do the same. Both the US and Canada would be able to do the same. But the problem with Europe and North America, from a FIFA point of view, is the relative difficulties extracting huge bribes for their committee members. Much more fertile grounds elsewhere, hence Europe and NA only getting to host the event every 12-16 years. Madness.

ExXB
16th Mar 2018, 23:03
Stay away from FiIFA, there’s be much evil there. Vancouver the good can do much better than that. And you wii have to develop some world class players too.

racedo
17th Mar 2018, 11:57

It is.

As for Vancouver saying "No Thanks"....................... well FIFA never invited them.
They invited themselves think they would get extra money from tourism and economuic regeneration.

I love hearing the "Well we never offered anybody incentives" crap that is standard fare in UK news media as it is only Jonny Foreigner who is corrupt.

Wonder if the track back is done of every IOC delegates who voted for London 2012 how many will have kids that were offered "scholarships" and rentry to Uk Universities.

racedo
17th Mar 2018, 12:01
It's still possible to have a football world cup without having to build a phalanx of new stadiums with a shelf-life of 3 to 4 weeks. There are 4 or 5 nations in Europe who could easily host such an event using existing infrastructure, and another dozen or so neighbouring countries who, if they ganged up 2 or 3, could do the same. Both the US and Canada would be able to do the same. But the problem with Europe and North America, from a FIFA point of view, is the relative difficulties extracting huge bribes for their committee members. Much more fertile grounds elsewhere, hence Europe and NA only getting to host the event every 12-16 years. Madness.

As a football fan who is travelling to Russia, has travelled to Japan, Germany, missed South Africa and Brazil through work commitments and is likely to travel to Qatar then I am really happy the WC get moved around.

It is the most popular participation sport in the world and rightly should be moved around rather than just given to one or two countrys.

ExXB
17th Mar 2018, 15:01
It is the most popular participation sport in the world and rightly should be moved around rather than just given to one or two countrys.

Perhaps, but FIFA, the various Football organisations, national teams, local teams and individual players have only one thing in mind.

Cha-ching, Cha-ching.

Each national champion should play tournaments hosted by regional organisations with the winners playing in a round-robin elimination round to decide the best team on the planet.

The jingoism displayed by FIFA, the IOC, et al is disgusting.

meadowrun
17th Mar 2018, 15:07
As for Vancouver saying "No Thanks"....................... well FIFA never invited them.
They invited themselves think they would get extra money from tourism and economic regeneration.
No thanks to the bid process. don't really care whether it's "invitation" or "paperwork submission procedure" or "note fifa bank account numbers for future reference.

Tourism? Got lots. Be sure to book well in advance. We're pretty full up with tourism.
Economic revitalization? Economy is alive and kicking and resuscitation is the last thing on our minds. Should research our dead economy first.

Saner heads have decided there are much better ways to spend money for far better returns.

Gertrude the Wombat
17th Mar 2018, 15:14
Tourism? Got lots. Be sure to book well in advance. We're pretty full up with tourism.
Oh, perhaps you can help. We've booked most of our trip to Vancouver this summer, but not yet the hire car. I'm looking for a one-way hire from Calgary to Vancouver with manual gearbox, but the only cars I can find online are automatics. Got any suggestions as to companies I can try?

meadowrun
17th Mar 2018, 15:21
Not my area of expertise.
Budget and Enterprise in YYC advertise availability of manual or automatics and one-way rentals.

obgraham
17th Mar 2018, 15:54
Oh, perhaps you can help. We've booked most of our trip to Vancouver this summer, but not yet the hire car. I'm looking for a one-way hire from Calgary to Vancouver with manual gearbox, but the only cars I can find online are automatics. Got any suggestions as to companies I can try?
Except for specialty cars, I think you'll find it difficult to get a manual shift rental car in North America. Very few here can drive them.

Gertrude the Wombat
17th Mar 2018, 16:22
Except for specialty cars, I think you'll find it difficult to get a manual shift rental car in North America. Very few here can drive them.
I was expecting that to be the answer. But when we're on holiday we drive up and down mountains, and I've never yet come across an automatic that understands about automatically changing down as you're going downhill and approaching a bend.

(You'd think that even without using GPS and a database it would be able to decide by pitch angle and the fact that you've started braking, but I've never met one that can.)

Fareastdriver
17th Mar 2018, 16:40
You have been able to manually change down Hyundai automatics for at least seventeen years.

Gertrude the Wombat
17th Mar 2018, 16:51
You have been able to manually change down Hyundai automatics for at least seventeen years.
Yes, and when forced to drive an automatic I often resort to manually changing gears. Which is harder than in a manual car, as (with the ones I've driven) you have to take your eyes off the road (a downhill hairpin, typically, exactly when you need to be looking at the road) to look down at the gear lever to see which gear you're in, as they're all in a straight line rather than a gate pattern. (Except for a people carrier I once drove in NZ, which did have a sort-of gate pattern, but not one I'd ever seen before so not one I could work by muscle memory.)

As an alternative I've also found it possible to change gears in an occasionally predictable fashion by doing just exactly the right tap dance on the throttle with my foot. But it's only occasionally predictable, and again it's harder than just changing gears with a manual gearbox (although I'll accept that this one might get easier with more practice).

G-CPTN
17th Mar 2018, 17:02
Do any (North American) rental vehicles have paddle-shifters or sequential fore/aft shift levers?

Are any equipped with automated mechanical gearboxes? (VW DSG)

How does a DSG gearbox work (https://www.carwow.co.uk/guides/glossary/DSG-gearbox-explained)?

Fareastdriver
17th Mar 2018, 17:29
Gertrude the Wombat. You should get around a bit. Most modern automatics I have driven you merely push the transmission lever to one side and you select up/down as required and it will change as long as you are in the normal rev/speed range for that gear. On ones in a line it has a serrated gate so it's just push up or down and then back to Drive when you have finished. You don't have to look.

It's the same in the States. To make sure rent a 'foreign' car.

Gertrude the Wombat
17th Mar 2018, 17:38
Gertrude the Wombat. You should get around a bit. Most modern automatics I have driven ...
We rent manual cars in Europe, we don't go long haul every year, and my most recent long (or at least longer) haul trips have been to Burma, where we didn't drive ourselves, and Jamaica, where it's normal to rent manual cars, and Japan which was a jolly with transport included (I've mentioned the people carrier in NZ). It's 15 years since I've driven an automatic in Canada, so if things have changed in that time then yes, I will be out of date, and I look forward to any improvements.

racedo
17th Mar 2018, 17:57
The jingoism displayed by FIFA, the IOC, et al is disgusting.

Jingoism ................

You really way out on that one.

Have been to circa 30 plus games at major championships and ended up at games often because fans from one of the teams persuaded me to go because we had drinks / food or shared trains / buses together.

Enjoyed the football, enjoyed the company and enjoyed the tournament.

Yup people passionately support their team during the game but pre and post it is a case of sharing time with other fans.

I spent time at a game in Japan where 2 of the guys were Scottish who went there because a Swedish player played for the club team they supported.

There also spent 2 days with Mexicans who persuaded me to join them at one of their games, sourced me a ticket and partied for 2 days.

Having fun and enjoying it was what people want and meeting other fans.

Likely will go to Qatar in 2022 because can see probably 2 games a day.

Aside from some England fans there are few hooligans and even with England fans if it is far away then the hoolies don't travel.

ExXB
18th Mar 2018, 15:46
Racedo

Article 6 of the Olympic Charter:

The Olympic Games are competitions between athletes in individual or team events and not between countries.

If you actually believe that then perhaps you would be interested in buying a bridge in Brooklyn.

It’s not about the athletes. National Anthems. Medal counts etc., make me want to vomit.

KelvinD
18th Mar 2018, 16:11
World Cup.. Olympic Charter?
Go on then, I'll bite. What is the connection?
Racedo: if you get to Russia, watch out for Egypt. They currently have the world's finest player. Mohammed Salah! (I suppose you could divine from that which team I support) :ok:

racedo
18th Mar 2018, 22:51
Racedo

Article 6 of the Olympic Charter:

If you actually believe that then perhaps you would be interested in buying a bridge in Brooklyn.

Itís not about the athletes. National Anthems. Medal counts etc., make me want to vomit.

I spoke to a US Olympic medallist in Athens 2004 who won gold in Mexico, he was told pre this that he shouldn't talk to any Communist Athletes because they would want him to defect, become a spy etc. But said when they got there he found those in competition wanted to talk about how they had done etc.

Those who bought into the State Dept garbage (his words) sat on sideline along with those from Communist countrys who bought into same crap from their country ............. everybody ignored these people.

Asking him what he thought when he was on podium being awarded the Gold, was it his countrys etc etc.

He just laughed and said he remembered his coaches, his family, his training partners and people who had helped him to get there................... there was no thought of his country or how they had won against others.

Just because the media want it to be between countrys means nothing.

racedo
18th Mar 2018, 23:06
World Cup.. Olympic Charter?
Go on then, I'll bite. What is the connection?
Racedo: if you get to Russia, watch out for Egypt. They currently have the world's finest player. Mohammed Salah! (I suppose you could divine from that which team I support) :ok:

Worlds finest player is between Ronaldo and Messi.................. they have been doing it consistently. not a one season flash in the pan.

Ronaldo - 443 goals in 429 games for Real Madrid
Messi - 542 in 626 for Barcelona

Salah won Swiss league with Basle (29 apps, 5 goals), Premier League with Chelsea (3 appearances (min reqd for Medal is 5 so got none) 0 goals) and League cup (not even on subs bench for final).

Good player in a weak squad in a poor Premier League and he is somehow Worlds best !!!!!!!!

evansb
19th Mar 2018, 02:53
I drove manual transmissions through the Canadian Rockies from 1972 until 2002 in all kinds of weather. Then I grew up. A modern automatic transmission shifts smarter than you ever would. Period. I am not a fan of the Continuously Variable Transmission, (CVT), however. I've driven the route countless times in a 16-year old 2.4 litre automatic. 3/4 tonne, one tonne, two tonne and 10 tonne, done it all. Automatic transmission is best. Perfectly fine. More efficient than if I would shift manually, and yes, I've done that too with a variety of displacement engines. Naturally aspirated and turbo charged. Diesel and gasoline. Enjoy the scenery. Go Arsenal ! Go gasoline internal combustion engines and automatic transmissions ! They rule. They actually do rule.

Anilv
19th Mar 2018, 06:13
Do any (North American) rental vehicles have paddle-shifters or sequential fore/aft shift levers?

Are any equipped with automated mechanical gearboxes? (VW DSG)

How does a DSG gearbox work (https://www.carwow.co.uk/guides/glossary/DSG-gearbox-explained)?

I'm a fan of manual cars but in an unfamiliar city I would prefer an automatic transmission. One less thing to worry about when trying to figure where I am. Also my home country drives on the left (RHD) there are more countries which drive on the right!

Anilv

Anilv
19th Mar 2018, 06:14
Re FIFA and Canada, kudos to Canada for saying what most countries are afraid to.

Anilv

obgraham
19th Mar 2018, 16:23
Re automatics:

I've driven large RV's up to 30,000 pounds for years. All had automatic transmissions, as does my current Sprinter on the MB chassis. I've been up and down all sorts of hills in North America, some very steep downgrades. I make it a point to avoid the brakes virtually all the way down. Never ever had a problem with the automatics, as all can be selected manually.

I enjoy a stick shifter as much as the next person, but I'm under no illusion that I can out-think the automatic. Fangio I am not.