PDA

View Full Version : A question for all you pilots out there.

liquidhockey
22nd Jul 2002, 15:08
Hi

I was wondering how Aerodynamics rated on the difficulty scale at ATPL level?

Lets use the 'out of ten scale'
Compared to the other topics which one has to cover in the ATPL's how does it measure up difficulty-wise?

Thanks in Advance

Dave

Pinky95
22nd Jul 2002, 16:34
In my opinion the aerodynamics was one of the most difficult exams, it's something you have to get the hang of even though it works unlogical from time to time. But hey it ain;'t *that* difficult so let's call it a 7 on a scale to ten. It helps though if you make a lot of training questions :-)

liquidhockey
22nd Jul 2002, 17:05
I am so glad you say that you found it difficult because that means im not the only one.

It may sound silly but i havent even done my PPL yet but it just so happens i have a training manual for the aerodynamics and i understand the atmosphere layers, temperature, pressure etc quite easily but when it comes to the pretty complex sums i find myself very confused learning it myself.

Perhaps i shouldnt be too worried as i will be having someone explain it to me when i come round to do it for real.

Just thought i would get ahead of the game by learning some of it whilst waiting for my PPL books to arrive.

Thanks for the assistance

Dave

Gazeem
22nd Jul 2002, 18:41
Aerodynamics ???

I cannot remember taking an aerodynamics exam, is it an old CAA requirement?

The closest thing I had under JAA was Principles of Flight. It seemed to be one of the more difficult exams 8/10.

liquidhockey
22nd Jul 2002, 18:50
I have just read back and found that it is from 1983!!and ammended in 1987!!
This is a photocopy from the PPSC Aircraft Technicals book one.
Which includes Aerodynamics, Piston Engines and Superchargers.

So are you saying that none of this i will have to learn when i come to do my ATPL's?

Cheers
Dave

Gin Slinger
22nd Jul 2002, 18:57
You will, but they're not stand-alone papers - covered in PoF, Aircraft General and touched on in a few others.

Personally, Metrology is [now was] my waterloo subject, but I persevered and passed it.

IRRenewal
22nd Jul 2002, 18:59
liquidhockey,

The most difficult exam is the one you haven't passed yet and you are about to take (or maybe take again...).

Don't get worked up about a specific subject. Take it step by step and you'll be fine, just like all those who have done it before you.

Good luck

Baldie Man
22nd Jul 2002, 19:10
Liquidhockey,

As far as sums go in the Principles of Flight (nearest to the old aerodynamics paper) there isn't that much of it. Just need to know how to work out load factor and rate of turn, that sort of thing. It's basically about remembering formulas in the ATPL's - even for General Navigation so I wouldn't get too worked up over it. People who haven't even got GCSE Maths pass them. That said you'll have to work very hard at it as there's a huge amount to learn!

Out of ten? 7.5

BM.

liquidhockey
22nd Jul 2002, 21:15
Thanks to you who have replied to this topic.
Your reasurance gives me confidence.
:)

Cheers
Dave