PDA

View Full Version : Ten and a half years for acid attacks

NutLoose
12th Mar 2018, 14:11
Nowhere near long enough, six acid attacks on people resulting in life changing injuries in some of the cases, that's under two years per victim.

Teenager jailed for London moped acid attacks - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-43373719)

ExXB
12th Mar 2018, 14:48
That is a long sentence for a 17 year old boy. He is still a child. But in my view it shouldn’t be a fixed term, but indeterminate with any release dependant on remorse for previous actions and likelihood of reintegration.

However a prison cell is an unlikely place for either to develop.

Skipname
12th Mar 2018, 15:47
What a joke the legal system is in UK. Only ten and a half years for his crimes? They should spray acid in his face so he can feel the pain too and then throw his a:mad: in jail for life. The guy should never see the daylight again.

Saintsman
12th Mar 2018, 16:20
Child or not, at 17 you know the difference between right and wrong.

Besides, he knew that the law is a bit grey when it comes to acid compared to using a knife.

teeteringhead
12th Mar 2018, 17:10
Interesting remark from the judge when sentencing....

Words to the effect that: "Had you been an adult, it would have attracted a sentence of 22 years."

WTF?????

radeng
12th Mar 2018, 17:19
Even worse is that if he behaves himself, he could be out in 5 years.

Personally, I think a minimum of 35 years before release would be more appropriate.

If he gets out too soon, what will stop him doing it again?

G-CPTN
12th Mar 2018, 19:58
In mitigation, the youth was 16 when he committed the attacks - and was in care (not that that impeded him).
He was also given credit for pleading guilty - though his accomplice remains unknown.

This miscreant was only revealed when he crashed a stolen scooter into the back of a lorry (otherwise one can postulate that he would still be at large - and committing further assaults and thefts of scooters).

Seems he was unlucky . . .

meadowrun
12th Mar 2018, 22:32
He will surely improve his skills in the rehabilitative prison he will spend a short amount of time in but not his moral compass and then -
Back at it. Count on it.

fitliker
12th Mar 2018, 22:43
A suspended sentence would make more sense. Suspended at the end of a rope :)

ExXB
13th Mar 2018, 19:08
So executing children is your solution.

Yes he needs to be punished, but even more he needs to be rehabilitated.

meadowrun
13th Mar 2018, 20:42
Sometimes that is just not possible.
"Children" is a label. Six acid attacks on the public removes any allowances that might normally be applied for the age number assigned.
Anyone know of any "innocent children" who do things like that?

skydiver69
13th Mar 2018, 22:54
Having seen at first hand the immediate aftermath of a particularly nasty acid attack I would be one of the first people to call for longer sentences for this type of attack, but then again I think that sentences for most offences are too short. I also think that most 16 year olds know full well what they are doing and should have to live with the consequences just like their victims.

G-CPTN
13th Mar 2018, 23:10
I would imagine that the idea to use a corrosive fluid 'evolved' from the primary intention to rob people (of their motor scooters).
As most riders would be wearing a helmet, the would-be thief needed something that would cause the rider to abandon the scooter (for self preservation).

Ergo the use of acid (rather than ammonia or other substance).

That disfigurement and/or life-changing injury resulted would probably not occur to 'a bear of simple brain' :ugh:

Just as those who choose to use firearms to rob people probably don't intend to kill their victims.

troppo
14th Mar 2018, 09:20
Jesus...and I thought it was criminal filling up super soakers (water pistols) with urine as a 16 year old with my mates on a Friday night.

Pinky the pilot
14th Mar 2018, 11:26
What fitliker said!:ok:

muppetofthenorth
14th Mar 2018, 11:48
I would imagine that the idea to use a corrosive fluid 'evolved' from the primary intention to rob people (of their motor scooters).
As most riders would be wearing a helmet, the would-be thief needed something that would cause the rider to abandon the scooter (for self preservation).

Ergo the use of acid (rather than ammonia or other substance).

That disfigurement and/or life-changing injury resulted would probably not occur to 'a bear of simple brain' :ugh:

Just as those who choose to use firearms to rob people probably don't intend to kill their victims.

It occurs.

They just don't care.

ImageGear
14th Mar 2018, 12:24
After a rather nasty robbery in which a scooter driver drove into my leg with the intention of incapacitating me while ripping my wife's handback from her shoulder (Across the body so he had to break the strap), I was provided with a briefing session by the police after my hospital visit.

I was told that the criminal would only know he had been "committing the crime" during the act, and immediately he rode away nonchalantly on his scooter, he became another person who could look back on the action and know that it was not he, but someone else who had done the crime.

The fact that he was in possession of my wife's handbag was a mysterious outcome from an event unrelated to anything he had done. He didn't get much cash and the inconvenience of us having to renew passports and block credit cards was straight forward.

It seems to me that these people have a dual personality which they can switch between when the need arises.

IG

meadowrun
14th Mar 2018, 14:17
That police officer(s) is an idiot.

treadigraph
14th Mar 2018, 14:36
ImageGear, was that in the UK?

He's a Croydon child; the number of knife crimes in the area seems to be increasing (https://www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/news/croydon-news/worrying-new-stats-show-knife-1159717), there is a hardcore minority who are simply vicious little thugs.

Lock em up and lose the key.

NutLoose
14th Mar 2018, 16:43
I look on it as a stiff sentence is what he deserved, 25 years minimum, what signal does it put over telling the scum of today that they will get a lenient sentence if under 18 and that the sentence will be short.

Remember it wasn't one attack but 6 acid attacks, so that is only 2 years ish per attack. Not really an eye for an eye person, but ohhh in this case I would be tempted.

WilliumMate
14th Mar 2018, 17:03
Like many others, the majority of my sixteen year old time was spent in the forces. I didn't feel like a child and was certainly not treated as such having to undergo the same training as adults in my class.

I don't know what the sentencing guidelines say about under 18s and prison time but it may be that the judges hands were somewhat tied by them.

I did find this website:

https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/Robbery-Sentencing-Children-and-young-people-Definitive-Guide_FINAL_WEB.pdf

ImageGear
14th Mar 2018, 18:53
France - where else?

IG

treadigraph
14th Mar 2018, 19:10
Sorry, just read your location properly!

NutLoose
14th Mar 2018, 19:31
They count them as children under the age of 18 and as such say they are not totally aware of their actions, so WTF are they pushing to give them the vote at 16.

meadowrun
14th Mar 2018, 20:54
16? Might as well be 13.
Just who is pushing that agenda?
Those who are, expect to reap some poll number benefit for their party.
Other logic is not important to them. Just numbers.

jimtherev
15th Mar 2018, 00:17
On t'other hand, it costs 65,000 to lock someone up, then a further 40,000 per year to keep 'em in. In the case of this lad, this would amount to just shy of half a million quid if he served his full term.
I wonder how many of us are happy with paying for bed and board for him & the thousands like him.

meadowrun
15th Mar 2018, 00:36
Yeah.
Turn all the prisons into workhouses. Everybody works. Generate revenue, you're not rehabilitating anyone.

They could make i-phones or the like.

flash8
15th Mar 2018, 01:37
I believe Prison should be used for rehabilitation for most folk but not the sex/violent/child crimes.

Those folk should be thrown together on an Island and left to fend for themselves... we'll make sure none of 'em could leave as well (except by the hands of one of their fellow mates).

They can then live by their own standards, perfect justice.

fitliker
15th Mar 2018, 22:17
Breaking rocks under the hot sun , turned Nelson Mandela from a convicted murderer and terrorist into a Statesman.
Hard work , works .