PDA

View Full Version : PPL to (f)ATPL without a loan.

speedbird91
10th Mar 2018, 20:53
Evening all,

So I've just managed to secure myself a fairly well paid position in another industry that interests me massively, based much closer to home than I'm currently working (BHX Airport) with the opportunity for significantly boosting my salary.

The question is, and I have made a plan for this, has anybody managed to achieve an airline or flying position without approaching Mr Friendly Bank Manager for a loan?

I'm ready for a new challenge, which I feel both the job move and savings will offer.

It won't be overnight, but I'm disciplined & hopeful.

Thanks in advance.

KayPam
10th Mar 2018, 21:43
You can actually fund your training with as little as 2000€ per month (I think this is a bare minimum)

My advice would be to train up to fATPL, then apply for pilot positions, and decide then.

rudestuff
11th Mar 2018, 08:23
Flying is a job. Will you make more or less money than you do now by getting a flying job?

Lew747
11th Mar 2018, 15:26
Yes I did. No bank loans of any sort and now fly RHS A320. Just took a lot of saving. I went modular. Totally worth it :ok:

speedbird91
11th Mar 2018, 20:01
Yes I did. No bank loans of any sort and now fly RHS A320. Just took a lot of saving. I went modular. Totally worth it :ok:

Incredible- do you mind me asking how long it took from PPL level to finally applying for work?

It goes to prove that it can be done!

speedbird91
11th Mar 2018, 20:02
Honestly.. if you are paid enough to afford the training for the job and doing a job that interests you I'd think long and hard about staying there. I love my job but it took years to get here earning next to nothing and doing 100 hour weeks. If the job is secure take up a PPL and an IR.. get a share in an interesting aircraft and enjoy flying on your terms.

Ah, this has definitely crossed my mind. Without getting too sentimental, I (like many of us) have this burning desire to fly, and I dread the thought of reaching retirement wishing I’d followed that airline dream!

rudestuff
11th Mar 2018, 23:26
One thing to consider: a flying career is finite.

Every year you delay the start of your career because you are saving up can be measured at the end of your career as one year less as a senior captain.

It’s all very noble not wanting to borrow - but that extra 4 years saving up is a million quid you’re not going to earn.

jamesgrainge
12th Mar 2018, 08:44
Agree with rudestuff. I'm currently working away saving up over £1000 a month for 2 years, 9 months to go then I'm out. Still looking at a £20k loan to get to end of fATPL, worth it because I'll be 31 by then and can't have this standard of life going on forever, funded my PPL, Hour Building and Atpl from it. CPL,IR,MCC from a loan and my paltry earnings whilst being back at home.

Groundloop
12th Mar 2018, 09:30
but that extra 4 years saving up is a million quid you’re not going to earn.

Captains earn £250,000 per year - AFTER TAX and other deductions!

rudestuff
12th Mar 2018, 09:58
Flying is great, but it's also still a job. Some people will have lost all their enthusiasm after a while, but I think that's down to time spent doing the job rather than how they paid for it.

rudestuff
12th Mar 2018, 10:03
Captains earn £250,000 per year - AFTER TAX and other deductions!

I was assuming £250k as a captains take-home in 30 years time

Jaair
12th Mar 2018, 10:17
Yes it is finite, but how many guys do you hear fed up with and/or not enjoying the job? Normally guys who started in the RHS at 20 years old with a £1000/month loan repayment having finished an Integrated course. They'll be Captain's by 30 and most of their loan paid back but by now most of the enthusiasm is zapped!

I'd prefer to have some "real" work experience, and no bank managers knocking on my door, so that when that first RHS job does come up it can be appreciated fully. Even if that does mean coming in to the career slightly later.

One benefit of starting training later on after having done work experience "in the real world" is that you have something to compare to once in the RHS. I've seen it mentioned often that career changers tend to be the happiest.

superflanker
12th Mar 2018, 10:20
One benefit of starting training later on after having done work experience "in the real world" is that you have something to compare to once in the RHS. I've seen it mentioned often that career changers tend to be the happiest.

Wow, I hope that! :O

jamesgrainge
13th Mar 2018, 11:30
Agree... I spent a couple years in offices and many years working in bars and hotels then a few in the GA enviornemnt. The airline world isn't perfect but it beats the hell out of my other jobs considering half the time I don't feel like I'm 'at work.'

In saying that we pay the price for this job in disrupted family life, no mon-fri schedule, missing holidays, birthdays and Christmas occasionally. Just posted in another thread on the health cost to your body on this job too.. on balance I'm sure I'd not be happy but changing back but it ain't all perfect.

What health cost?