PDA

View Full Version : Eva Air present working conditions

Bladecreep
9th Mar 2018, 01:00
Hey guys I'm new to this forum so please take it easy on me. Couldn't find much up to date info on EVA so I started this thread.
Currently a Regional FO in the US and looking at making a move abroad. I'm ATP rated with around 2k TT , of which 1700 is turbine and 500 jet. 500 is part 121. My only type is the ERJ175 so if I want to move to Asia my options seem to be Eva, Cathay and possibly ANA once I build more time. Are there others?
I really like Taiwan and could easily live there. Hong Kong I'm not so sure....

My question is what is Eva like as an employer? They pay twice what I'm making here and I'd rather live there than in the states so it makes sense but I'm not gonna jump blindly and head first without getting some Intel. I'd eventually like to become an expat captain making decent money. Don't really care about the type of aircraft just more the quality of life. Are the schedules utter abuse and slavery or are they somewhat decent? Is management adversarial or supportive ? Thanks for any info or ideas you guys can give.

Black Crow
9th Mar 2018, 13:30
Working in Asia is not anything like working for a western carrier.

First of all, you are an Ex-Pat, so you will be treated as a second class citizen. Be prepared to be discriminated against, and in Asian culture they don't even attempt to hide the discrimination.

Training is typical asian mentality, which is punitive. Their philosophy is that if you are punished, you will learn. Training is a very negative experience. Be prepared to be belittled, yelled at and constantly threatened.

Check rides and any sim session, as well as line flights in which a management, check pilot or Instructor is on board is a pass/fail check flight which can end your job immediately.

Management including the Chief Pilot, Check Pilots and Instructors are to be treated as Gods walking the earth, and they will expect it. Get on the bad side of any of these types and expect your QOL to deteriorate quickly.

You don't bid schedules, you have a roster, which is to say your flying is assigned. Be prepared for schedules which are brutal by western standards.

Visiting Asia on vacation and actually living and working there are two different things.

My advise is to get a good job with a US major and enjoy your travel privileges and go there often, as a tourist.

TPE Flyer
9th Mar 2018, 14:02
No other replies are needed. Black Crow summed it up exactly how it is.

PalmtreePilot74
9th Mar 2018, 17:39
Hey guys I'm new to this forum so please take it easy on me. Couldn't find much up to date info on EVA so I started this thread.
Currently a Regional FO in the US and looking at making a move abroad. I'm ATP rated with around 2k TT , of which 1700 is turbine and 500 jet. 500 is part 121. My only type is the ERJ175 so if I want to move to Asia my options seem to be Eva, Cathay and possibly ANA once I build more time. Are there others?
I really like Taiwan and could easily live there. Hong Kong I'm not so sure....

My question is what is Eva like as an employer? They pay twice what I'm making here and I'd rather live there than in the states so it makes sense but I'm not gonna jump blindly and head first without getting some Intel. I'd eventually like to become an expat captain making decent money. Don't really care about the type of aircraft just more the quality of life. Are the schedules utter abuse and slavery or are they somewhat decent? Is management adversarial or supportive ? Thanks for any info or ideas you guys can give.

Why would you want to leave the U.S. market in a time of the greatest amount of hiring and expansion in decades? First off, don't leave the regional market until you get a good amount of jet PIC to make yourself more marketable. If you come to Asia and don't enjoy the first outfit you land at, with your low experience, you will stagnate and bounce around to SIC jobs for a long time, especially in the Contract world, which is much of Asia's airlines.

Having almost 20 years in the Airline business and now working for one of the best contract gigs out there, I can tell you that there is NOTHING in Asia that compares to how good and easy that you will have it in the US airlines. If your main drive in life is that you only want to live somewhere in Asia, then that's a whole other conversation.

Black Crow summed it up pretty well for all the Asian countries that hire foreign pilots. If you want to advance to a career airline and have a rewarding career, best advice is to stay where your at and build PIC time and then reevaluate when you have a solid resume. Obviously, things can change in a heartbeat in the US market and the rest of the World, but you can always move to Asia if things go bad in the US. If you were get hired some where in Asia and not upgrade or have to wait to upgrade for 10-12 years, you will not be marketable with a resume full of SIC time, even if its thousands of hours in a wide body.

I would suggest reading a lot more on this board, and think real hard about leaving the US.

Bladecreep
9th Mar 2018, 19:00
Having almost 20 years in the Airline business and now working for one of the best contract gigs out there, I can tell you that there is NOTHING in Asia that compares to how good and easy that you will have it in the US airlines. If your main drive in life is that you only want to live somewhere in Asia, then that's a whole other conversation.

Black Crow summed it up pretty well for all the Asian countries that hire foreign pilots. If you want to advance to a career airline and have a rewarding career, best advice is to stay where your at and build PIC time and then reevaluate when you have a solid resume. Obviously, things can change in a heartbeat in the US market and the rest of the World, but you can always move to Asia if things go bad in the US. If you were get hired some where in Asia and not upgrade or have to wait to upgrade for 10-12 years, you will not be marketable with a resume full of SIC time, even if its thousands of hours in a wide body.

I would suggest reading a lot more on this board, and think real hard about leaving the US.

Thanks for the advice. I am looking to leave the US. Just tired of trying to carve out an existence here and that region of the globe is so much more exciting. In addition to prioritizing getting PIC Time, should I consider looking in to corporate gigs ? Maybe there are companies that treat you a bit better.

Thanks again for the info.

Bladecreep
9th Mar 2018, 19:02
Black Crow;

I was afraid of this. The US is just not my favorite place even though the aviation market is red hot right now. I guess I should go back to the drawing board before I make a change I will come to regret.

Black Crow
10th Mar 2018, 01:43
Thanks for the advice. I am looking to leave the US. Just tired of trying to carve out an existence here and that region of the globe is so much more exciting. In addition to prioritizing getting PIC Time, should I consider looking in to corporate gigs ? Maybe there are companies that treat you a bit better.

Understand, the Asians have an entire different mentality than the west. You're going to find the same culture in the corporate world there as well.

Seriously, vacationing there versus living and working there are two totally separate worlds.

PalmtreePilot74
10th Mar 2018, 02:21

Carve out an existence? Okay, well it sounds like you've made up your mind that you are going to live in Asia, so you better do lots of research on where you can get in as a low time FO and eventually move to a command position. Not every Asian country will upgrade foreigners and not every airline will either.

Bladecreep
10th Mar 2018, 12:53
Carve out an existence? Okay, well it sounds like you've made up your mind that you are going to live in Asia, so you better do lots of research on where you can get in as a low time FO and eventually move to a command position. Not every Asian country will upgrade foreigners and not every airline will either.

Definitely haven't made up my mind yet but yes pursuing a self funded pilot career in the US isn't exactly a walk in the park even though seems like people on here make it to be. The wages have increased sure but not anywhere near cost of living increases in the major metropolitan places they have us domiciled. I've moved across the country, lived in several states , and slept on air mattresses for a couple years now. It'd be nice to see some improvements in my thirties and I'm trying to determine if Asia can do that for me or not.

ia1166
11th Mar 2018, 07:45
Honestly if your career aspirations as a pilot is to become an expat contractor, then the industry is worse than i could even imagine, or your impression of life as an expat contactor are rosier than the truth.

I suspect the latter.

Most of us wish we made better career moves than those that resulted in us being here now.

TransitCheck
11th Mar 2018, 15:56
Bladecreep,

Take a look at Emirates or Qatar. I know there are lots of guys complaining and most of the complaints are valid but they are light years ahead of the US regionals in more ways than one.

They have great Asian route structures that are easy to get when you bid for them and you can spend your vacation days and days off going wherever you want in Asia as its only a few hours away. If you get tired of Asia the rest of the world is also available for you.

Good luck in your decision.

Bladecreep
11th Mar 2018, 18:37
Bladecreep,

Take a look at Emirates or Qatar. I know there are lots of guys complaining and most of the complaints are valid but they are light years ahead of the US regionals in more ways than one.

They have great Asian route structures that are easy to get when you bid for them and you can spend your vacation days and days off going wherever you want in Asia as its only a few hours away. If you get tired of Asia the rest of the world is also available for you.

Good luck in your decision.

Thank you! I will.

captjns
12th Mar 2018, 01:24
Bladecreep... you’re about a year away from your command, that is, if you if you keep your nose clean, and do your job. You quit now... say bye bye to your seniority number. Go to Taiwan, China, or where ever... upgrade? Not a chance. A dose of reality... an expat is one whose necessity if purely temporary until such time that a local can qualify to assume the position that you’ve been hired, on a short term basis, may I add.

If you are hired... and a big IF... it will more than likely be as a relief first officer of which the time is worthless. Nothing but a bunch of alpha numerics in the old logbook.

Another consideration... lets assume you don’t like being an expat and want to return to the U.S. You’re going to have a hard time explaining why you quit a 121 job with a command in the near future to what... be a relief first officer?

Good luck.

BAe 146-100
12th Mar 2018, 09:33
Visiting Asia on vacation and actually living and working there are two different things.

This is 100% true.

Some (not all) places in Asia which are great for a holiday can be a absolute nightmare to work.

The problem is that many others have explained, your job in Asia is primarily to fill a seat that a local should fill somewhere in the next 5-10 years. Many people thought the Asian expat fo market would have gone long before now, but its still fairly strong, with demand for cpts higher and that is probably not gonna dry up for the next 20 years.

Don't come here expecting a command, that is number one, you may get one but you probably will not, and if you keep this thought in your mind it will be easier to deal with.

The locals at times will be jealous of where your from, why you in their country making more then them among other things yet they will not say this directly to you, they will use other tactics to belittle you. That includes the cabin crew.

If you really really must want to come to Asia as a FO, try to pick a company which has expat flight ops in there, which brings you very few options, HK, Singapore (expensive to live), Vietnam maybe?

Bladecreep
12th Mar 2018, 17:32
BAe 146-100

I guess I have no idea what the situation is actually like. All I see are the job postings and salaries and because I'm interested in the region, the girls and the flying I must be wear rose colored glasses. In the US we welcome and encourage skilled expat labor, to a large extent, so I assume it is the same abroad. I didn't think the contract was such a tenuous thing, considering the pilot shortage is real in Asia and only partly real in the US. I imagined they would be needed skilled labor for years to come in order to staff their fleets. Its a shame really if they are that far behind the curve.

Black Crow
12th Mar 2018, 21:39
BAe 146-100

I guess I have no idea what the situation is actually like. All I see are the job postings and salaries and because I'm interested in the region, the girls and the flying I must be wear rose colored glasses. In the US we welcome and encourage skilled expat labor, to a large extent, so I assume it is the same abroad.

As has been said here, in Asia you are relevant until you're not. The asians do not welcome expat labor, they only tolerate it.

I didn't think the contract was such a tenuous thing, considering the pilot shortage is real in Asia and only partly real in the US. I imagined they would be needed skilled labor for years to come in order to staff their fleets. Its a shame really if they are that far behind the curve.

They are still in the 1960's, early 1970's when it comes to safety, training and operations. While they will say they have a CRM program, an SMS or a just culture, it's purely talk and they don't practice it.

typhoonpilot
12th Mar 2018, 21:56
BAe 146-100

I guess I have no idea what the situation is actually like. All I see are the job postings and salaries and because I'm interested in the region, the girls and the flying I must be wear rose colored glasses. In the US we welcome and encourage skilled expat labor, to a large extent, so I assume it is the same abroad. I didn't think the contract was such a tenuous thing, considering the pilot shortage is real in Asia and only partly real in the US. I imagined they would be needed skilled labor for years to come in order to staff their fleets. Its a shame really if they are that far behind the curve.

Set FedEx as your goal for a Hong Kong domicile. You can have the best of both worlds for the time you are allowed to stay in HKG.

SeaArrrrrrJay
13th Mar 2018, 03:02
I did some research on this possibility last year. Yes, they will pay more, but you will also have significantly less time off. Plan on 8-10 days off a month. As an FO you will basically be on endless reserve/reassignment status. Even the bad US regionals have better work rules. Also, EVA has its own wholly owned regional airline, UNI Air, so there is a chance you can be assigned to the ATR, so keep that in mind.

Black Crow
13th Mar 2018, 03:28
I did some research on this possibility last year. Yes, they will pay more, but you will also have significantly less time off. Plan on 8-10 days off a month. As an FO you will basically be on endless reserve/reassignment status. Even the bad US regionals have better work rules. Also, EVA has its own wholly owned regional airline, UNI Air, so there is a chance you can be assigned to the ATR, so keep that in mind.

Yes, those 8 to 10 days off. Rarely are more than a single day at a time, and then it's a late arrival (2am) on your day off and a report time of 3am the next day. Basically your "days off" will be spent sleeping.

Bladecreep
13th Mar 2018, 05:52
Yes, those 8 to 10 days off. Rarely are more than a single day at a time, and then it's a late arrival (2am) on your day off and a report time of 3am the next day. Basically your "days off" will be spent sleeping.

Holy hell what a nightmare

BAe 146-100
13th Mar 2018, 09:29
Well you have much better options in Asia then Eva Air or China Airlines, the Air Japan 767 contract for example.

Any airline which advertises as much as Eva Air and China Airlines for ALL fleets and even NTR is not a good thing, they can not attract many people to go there.

Black Crow
13th Mar 2018, 21:24
Holy hell what a nightmare

You're catching on. Asian culture pertaining to employment is you are there to work and you will submit to your employer, because after all, he did give you a job.

Flyboy_SG
14th Mar 2018, 01:16
Blade creep,

Almost everyone gave the right advise. Based on my experience, I would say, stay away from this region. Get to left seat, log 1000 hrs + and look for better opportunities within US, Say Fedex/DHL/UPS/Delta/United etc. What matters is a career in the long run with lot of opportunities which you are not restricted to.

If you can’t get into any of these airlines, then you can think of Emirates or Qatar. The money is good there with a chance to upgrade, schooling and medical paid for, great route network and shining new wide body jets etc. But you’ll have to give yourself at least 10 years in this region. Are you willing to do that leaving your extended family and friends back in US? It’s the decision you should sit and make along with your partner.

I’m sure the working conditions are really hard in Regionals with no time for yourself or family. You’ll feel relieved on this part when you join as a wide body FO in M.E. But there are some downsides like strict company policies, punitive culture, no union, degradation of t&cs etc.

Brambleshire
15th Mar 2018, 18:54
I'm a crj CA in the US thinking about going to the left seat for Peach, Skymark, or Ibex. Not for the money, not for the experience, and not for the type rating. Really I just want to spend a couple years not living in the US for once, and flying around other side of the world, learning a 3rd language, etc. If I go to a major now I'll never be able to check that off my bucket list.

Surely those companies aren't that bad? I've read that Japan is far better than the other asian countries. I have a friend at ANA and he loves it.. want to stay there his whole career.

jackcarls0n
12th Apr 2018, 19:40
I'm a crj CA in the US thinking about going to the left seat for Peach, Skymark, or Ibex. Not for the money, not for the experience, and not for the type rating. Really I just want to spend a couple years not living in the US for once, and flying around other side of the world, learning a 3rd language, etc. If I go to a major now I'll never be able to check that off my bucket list.

Surely those companies aren't that bad? I've read that Japan is far better than the other asian countries. I have a friend at ANA and he loves it.. want to stay there his whole career.
That is a good idea. Always good to do what you want to do in life. If you want to get away from US. They are bunch of option. You might be quite busy and frustrated with the flying and company culture.

I would suggest go to Japan. Taiwan is a good place, but you can hate it or love it. But I reckon you have been here before. If you want insight on EVA feel free to PM me and I'll give you the low down.

hitansh
26th Apr 2018, 20:57
If you want fine living conditions, decent pay, polite people and build hours quickly then India is one of the best place, it is one of the fastest growing countries for aviation. Qatar and Emirates also treat outsiders like Second Class now, infact living conditions are very bad out there with no labour laws.
There is a company which operates CRJ as well.

McRj
31st May 2018, 06:47
Hello,

any infos/updates regarding the NTR FO recruitment? (Planned Gs, interviews, assesments..)

thank you

heartsignal26
12th Jun 2018, 14:56
Could you give me the details?

Wandering Paddy
16th Jun 2018, 13:56

First of all, you are an Ex-Pat, so you will be treated as a second class citizen. Be prepared to be discriminated against, and in Asian culture they don't even attempt to hide the discrimination.

Training is typical asian mentality, which is punitive. Their philosophy is that if you are punished, you will learn. Training is a very negative experience. Be prepared to be belittled, yelled at and constantly threatened.

Check rides and any sim session, as well as line flights in which a management, check pilot or Instructor is on board is a pass/fail check flight which can end your job immediately.

Management including the Chief Pilot, Check Pilots and Instructors are to be treated as Gods walking the earth, and they will expect it. Get on the bad side of any of these types and expect your QOL to deteriorate quickly.

You don't bid schedules, you have a roster, which is to say your flying is assigned. Be prepared for schedules which are brutal by western standards.

My advise is to get a good job with a US major and enjoy your travel privileges and go there often, as a tourist.

I'm a Licensed Engineer who worked in both Malaysia and Hong Kong. I agree with most of what you said. It's a strange paradox where they idolise 'white' westerners, but also have an inferiority complex or jealously towards us, hence the animosity. I thoroughly enjoyed my time working in Asia, I'm thinking Singapore is probably the most western friendly place in that part of the world. We all have different experiences, for example being Irish, I find Brits friendly outside the UK. However in the UK they are generally cold and miserable, but thats the way society is structured in England, to have everyone constantly in conflict.

jackcarls0n
30th Jun 2018, 07:22
EVA is a good place for training for your next job. For a career look elsewhere.

If anyone looking for a word of advise or needs some info feel free to shoot a PM.

JackAubrey
30th Jun 2018, 13:08
What's the average time to command there? I hear upgrades are possible on A321 for some who stay long enough and see their first contract through.

freddy747
21st Jul 2018, 03:47
My friends' son flies with EVA and he is quite happy there. Started in 2017 after they recruited the first B777 NTR FO's (was not type rated at the time).
He went via an agency (as in most Asian countries due to regulations) and was well prepared by them for screenings, SIM, medical etc.
The transition for FAA pilots is easier as Taiwan follows FAA regulations more than other Asian countries.
Then again, you must be open to experience another culture, which at least for myself, enriched my life. Nowadays it seems that not as many pilots are open to this.
I started in Europe and was based in Japan and Australia before moving to another airline in HKG (now retired)

privatequity
25th Jul 2018, 15:12

I am in the same boat. I'm 32yo single, no kids. The idea of living in Taipei seems like it would be a once in a lifetime adventure. Im currently flying the CRJ as a captain. I know the hiring in the U.S. is hot right now, and that trend should continue. However there is a romance there about going to a place like Taipei and living there that appeals to me. I struggle with this idea every few months and its really bothering me.

You can’t use the Private Messaging system, add url links or images until you have an established posting history.

theflyinfoote
25th Jul 2018, 21:12
Hi guys,

I'm thinking about applying for the TR 777 position as my wife and I are looking to live in Taipei for a few years. She grew up in Shanghai and likes the idea of living in Taiwan and I am always up for a new adventure. I am curious what the schedule is like for guys who live in Taipei and over all working life. Also, does the housing allowance cover the rent of a nice or at least decent apartment? If anybody has some good information feel free to PM me, I'm pretty sure I set my profile to accept them and emails.

Thanks

You can’t use the Private Messaging system, add url links or images until you have an established posting history.

Boeing_Guy
25th Jul 2018, 21:56

After 3 years flying in Asia, I can confirm this is all true.

theflyinfoote
26th Jul 2018, 04:50
After 3 years flying in Asia, I can confirm this is all true.

So that really didn't answer my question. I get that working for an Asian carrier is a lot different than a western. I've experience the Asian mentality through my wife. I was looking for some insight into actually working and living in Taipei. Days off, type of schedule, cost of living in regards to the pay, that type of things.

Black Crow
26th Jul 2018, 16:54
I am in the same boat. I'm 32yo single, no kids. The idea of living in Taipei seems like it would be a once in a lifetime adventure. Im currently flying the CRJ as a captain. I know the hiring in the U.S. is hot right now, and that trend should continue. .

Everyday you are not working for a US airline is lost seniority, and seniority is everything.

At some point you will want to return to the US to work, especially after the reality of working for an asian carrier sets in. You seem to be banking on a robust US pilot hiring situation lasting, and again that's a false assumption.

Get a good paying job with a US carrier and with the travel benefits you can see all of asia without subjecting yourself to their work culture.

Ninjapilot.2014
30th Jul 2018, 17:22
That is a good idea. Always good to do what you want to do in life. If you want to get away from US. They are bunch of option. You might be quite busy and frustrated with the flying and company culture.

I would suggest go to Japan. Taiwan is a good place, but you can hate it or love it. But I reckon you have been here before. If you want insight on EVA feel free to PM me and I'll give you the low down.

----------------

Hi,
My motivations and desires match the original post almost identically. I was wondering if you maybe could copy and paste the information regarding EVA you sent to the original poster? This forum reflects basically everything I've heard about Asia in general, but from what I've heard through the grapevine is that EVA is recently becoming one of the better expat airlines in Asia. I've been talking to a recruiter at APAS about EVA for about 6 months and of course it's all roses from his perspective but if you have some actual EVA specific information from the inside I'd appreciate it a lot. Every forum I read ends up turning into a generalized explanation of Asia in general which at this point isn't helpful. I'm young, single, motivated, ready to live abroad, and I'm already generally used to being abused :).

Other than general working conditions info, one question in particular I had was about applying to the airline without going through a recruiter. My recruiter is good but very slow. I see there is a portal for applying directly on the company website. Is this something you would recommend? Is it faster? Also is EVA in a position that were I to apply at, say, 300 jet time versus the 500 required, that they would possibly accept my application at least to get the ball rolling? My recruiter says not, but I am sort of thinking hes being told to tell people no. If the Asian carriers are half as desperate as the US carriers I'm sort of wondering if they'd still give me a pre-emptive interview and a conditional offer with less than the minimus which is sort of turning into the norm in the US.

Thank you for your time
Chris

PhantomPilot
8th Sep 2018, 16:10
----------------

Hi,
My motivations and desires match the original post almost identically. I was wondering if you maybe could copy and paste the information regarding EVA you sent to the original poster? This forum reflects basically everything I've heard about Asia in general, but from what I've heard through the grapevine is that EVA is recently becoming one of the better expat airlines in Asia. I've been talking to a recruiter at APAS about EVA for about 6 months and of course it's all roses from his perspective but if you have some actual EVA specific information from the inside I'd appreciate it a lot. Every forum I read ends up turning into a generalized explanation of Asia in general which at this point isn't helpful. I'm young, single, motivated, ready to live abroad, and I'm already generally used to being abused :).

Other than general working conditions info, one question in particular I had was about applying to the airline without going through a recruiter. My recruiter is good but very slow. I see there is a portal for applying directly on the company website. Is this something you would recommend? Is it faster? Also is EVA in a position that were I to apply at, say, 300 jet time versus the 500 required, that they would possibly accept my application at least to get the ball rolling? My recruiter says not, but I am sort of thinking hes being told to tell people no. If the Asian carriers are half as desperate as the US carriers I'm sort of wondering if they'd still give me a pre-emptive interview and a conditional offer with less than the minimus which is sort of turning into the norm in the US.

Thank you for your time
Chris

APAS, EVA Air and Taiwan are probably the best trio in SE Asia. I've been happily living there for more than 3 yrs and have more positive than negative things to say. The Agency is pretty good and since it's Taiwan based is always there for you.
Taiwan is really peaceful, safe and cheap. Food is great and you can get pretty much anything you need here. There is Costco! People are nice and try to help the expat when you look lost and they also have a high percentage of English speaking people. I've had janitors from the mall speak to me in English. Great roads and 7-11's everywhere
Eva Air has changed it's attitude and now there is less punitive actions towards flight events. FOQA data is not used to punish honest mistakes. Initial Training is tough but Recurrent now are EBT type (not PC type) and focus more on being a learning exercise than a punitive you-lost-150ft-on-a-steep-turn kinda thing from the past. I actually enjoy going to the Sim and find it a great learning experience.
Roosters are ok, good rest, Commuting contract and if you bring your family they'll give you outside housing.
As far as your hours, I've heard that you can probably start the application and maybe get an interview and once you get the hours you'll get invited for training (if you passed everything previously).
I'm not from the US so cannot tell you how it compares to your country. I cannot say if this will be better for you but you should give it a try. Eva will send you a ticket and give you a room for the 5 day screening so you have nothing to loose. Good Luck.

McRj
10th Sep 2018, 10:38
Just learned that the type rating and the hours flown in Taiwain are not recognized by the ICAO and FAA. Anyone know about this?

Cheers.

PhantomPilot
12th Sep 2018, 03:28
Just learned that the type rating and the hours flown in Taiwain are not recognized by the ICAO and FAA. Anyone know about this?

Cheers.

Well the hours are hours everywhere in the World. The license is not recognized, but that doesn't seem to be a problem for pilots that leave the company to fly somewhere else. Pilots (from Eva and China Airlines) have left for Emirates, Europe, Japan and the US and all of them got jobs there. So I wouldn't worry about that.

chinese3NMofftrack
14th Sep 2018, 15:57
After working for 7 years in 4 different airlines around Asia my word of advice is....go.
Go have some fun and fly in different and challenging conditions...it is not easy and you will have some difficult times adapting to the culture (depending on the country) but it is worth it if you have a few years to spare...be careful with the company you choose since not all of them will give upgrade you.

I have a few friends working for EVA and they are happy. They, like me, have been through hell and back and they are happy to stay there for a career.

Good luck and never stop having fun flying

gustavowolf
18th Sep 2018, 14:29
Does Eva air upgrade to captain and how long?!

How is the Commuting rosters?

PhantomPilot
19th Sep 2018, 09:08
Does Eva air upgrade to captain and how long?!

How is the Commuting rosters?

Yes, they do. I've seen expats upgraded in about 5yrs. You come in as FO, then upgrade Senior FO (Cruise Capt), then Captain. As for the Commute, you have 8 block days off (BDO) per month and 20 days of Annual Leave (vacation days, that you can attach to the BDO). For the BDO periods EVA will give you tickets on their flights (you travel as crew so completely free).
It's a nice commuting contract.

Black Crow
19th Sep 2018, 20:09
Yes, they do. I've seen expats upgraded in about 5yrs. You come in as FO, then upgrade Senior FO (Cruise Capt), then Captain. As for the Commute, you have 8 block days off (BDO) per month and 20 days of Annual Leave (vacation days, that you can attach to the BDO). For the BDO periods EVA will give you tickets on their flights (you travel as crew so completely free).
It's a nice commuting contract.

8 days off per month? Seriously? And how does anyone view this as a good schedule? That's horrible.

Bladecreep
20th Sep 2018, 01:06
8 days off per month? Seriously? And how does anyone view this as a good schedule? That's horrible.

yes that was the straw that broke the camels back when I was seriously considering this 6months ago.
how can you enjoy taiwan with only 8 days off a month reeling in a circadian rhythm that is all sorts of messed up.

I got 19 days off and 70hrs of flying at my regional next month. And there are Chinese and other asian chicks in my city haha I think I'll stay for now.

JackAubrey
21st Sep 2018, 04:57
Having a block of 8 consecutive days off each month, and ability to extend using annual leave days plus the firm ticket home, sounds like a great benefit for those who need to commute home regularly. Heard it's minimum 8, not max.
Not many expat jobs provide that, and definitely not in the MiddleEast.
Anyone know when the new 787s arrive?

Bladecreep
21st Sep 2018, 14:42
Having a block of 8 consecutive days off each month, and ability to extend using annual leave days plus the firm ticket home, sounds like a great benefit for those who need to commute home regularly. Heard it's minimum 8, not max.

oh so it's a guaranteed 8 day block off ? That's odd. How many days off between trips ? 30hrs or something ?

Black Crow
21st Sep 2018, 17:38

Nope, that's just a twisting of the english language.

The "8 days off guarantee" is not 8 days consecutive, it's scattered through the month, typically 1 day or maybe 2 days here and there.

And here's the rub. You may arrive at 0200 from a trip on your first "off day" and then the second off day have a report time of 2200. Or even arrive at 2300, the next day "off" with a report time of 0100 for the next trip. Hardly any quality of life there.

In Asian workplace mentality, the employee is expected to always work. Multiple off days are reserved for management types and not employees. Rarely will you find a roster with more than those supposed 8 days off.

Commuting long distance with these jobs is a nightmare within itself.

Black Crow
21st Sep 2018, 17:39
oh so it's a guaranteed 8 day block off ? That's odd. How many days off between trips ? 30hrs or something ?

See above.

BAe 146-100
21st Sep 2018, 18:15
Eva Air has always been and will remain a low paid and mostly low benefits expat contract , with the only real appeal of non type rated airbus or boeing guys trying to get some time before they can bugger off in a few years to somewhere better. I fail to see why any rated airbus or boeing guy with time would go there as nowadays you can make just as much at home or even in some cases more and have a better quality of life. As said many times before Asia is great to travel, not necessarily to work in all cases as especially now the cost of these countries is increasing and the terms are not catching up just yet.

SeaArrrrrrJay
21st Sep 2018, 23:35

10/2 is the scheduled delivery date for the first one.

PhantomPilot
22nd Sep 2018, 13:04
Nope, that's just a twisting of the english language.

The "8 days off guarantee" is not 8 days consecutive, it's scattered through the month, typically 1 day or maybe 2 days here and there.

And here's the rub. You may arrive at 0200 from a trip on your first "off day" and then the second off day have a report time of 2200. Or even arrive at 2300, the next day "off" with a report time of 0100 for the next trip. Hardly any quality of life there.

In Asian workplace mentality, the employee is expected to always work. Multiple off days are reserved for management types and not employees. Rarely will you find a roster with more than those supposed 8 days off.

Commuting long distance with these jobs is a nightmare within itself.

Ok, let me try again.

BLOCK DAYS OFF (BDO) are different than DAYS OFF (DO) and are different than ANNUAL LEAVE (AL) days and are different than LAYOVER Day (LO)

In Eva you have 8 (BDOs) per month, several (DO) within the month, and 20 (increasing with the years) (AL) per year. (DO) are in Taiwan, and Layover (LO) are when on a trip.

Yes, the 8 Blocks Days Off (BDO) ARE consecutive and guaranteed, you request them and you can also add Annual Leave (AL) days (So you can request 8 BDOs and the 2 AL and you will have 10 continuous days off). Apart from those days, you have the regulatory, between flights Days Off (DO) and depends if you come from a Long Haul or Short Haul, you can get 36hrs, 24hrs, etc, etc between flights and then maybe some Standby Days.

Hope is more clear now. If not then ask and I'll try to explain again.

Black Crow
23rd Sep 2018, 13:55
Ok, let me try again.

BLOCK DAYS OFF (BDO) are different than DAYS OFF (DO) and are different than ANNUAL LEAVE (AL) days and are different than LAYOVER Day (LO)

In Eva you have 8 (BDOs) per month, several (DO) within the month, and 20 (increasing with the years) (AL) per year. (DO) are in Taiwan, and Layover (LO) are when on a trip.

Yes, the 8 Blocks Days Off (BDO) ARE consecutive and guaranteed, you request them and you can also add Annual Leave (AL) days (So you can request 8 BDOs and the 2 AL and you will have 10 continuous days off). Apart from those days, you have the regulatory, between flights Days Off (DO) and depends if you come from a Long Haul or Short Haul, you can get 36hrs, 24hrs, etc, etc between flights and then maybe some Standby Days.

It boggles the mind that anyone would agree to this type of abysmal scheduling in today's employment market.

typhoonpilot
26th Sep 2018, 00:02
Many local Taiwanese pilots have left both EVA and China Airlines for jobs in China, Korea, Japan, etc. The reason is they get more time at home in Taiwan and make more money than if they stay at EVA/China Airlines. That in itself should tell you everything you need to know about the airlines. They are good for low time pilots as a stepping stone, nothing more than that, unless they change their attitude towards employees.

EVA will be short of pilots going into next year so it might be a good time to join with the potential for a relatively quick upgrade on a widebody as the locals continue their exodus for better paying jobs and better QOL elsewhere.

JackAubrey
26th Sep 2018, 00:54
Ok, let me try again.

Phantom, thanks for clarifying that. Nice having details from someone who's actually there. Is it possible to have the last 8 of the month off followed by the first 8 of the next, giving 16 off?
Cheers

PhantomPilot
30th Sep 2018, 03:47
Phantom, thanks for clarifying that. Nice having details from someone who's actually there. Is it possible to have the last 8 of the month off followed by the first 8 of the next, giving 16 off?
Cheers

Yes, a lot of pilots do that, it's not guaranteed but it's common. Also you can also add AL days on each month and make it a, say, 20 day off vacation.

PhantomPilot
30th Sep 2018, 03:52
It boggles the mind that anyone would agree to this type of abysmal scheduling in today's employment market.

I fail to see the mind boggling part? It's a commuting contract that not that many airlines offer. There's more than enough rest between flights and the usual days off between flights and stdby days too. Of course depends also on the fleet you are in, but scheduling is not bad at all.
And if you are going to compare it to the USA or Europe, well, not everyone can go there to fly so for a lot of people those are not even options to consider.

B-757
30th Sep 2018, 08:04
..There are several commuting jobs available in Asia, mostly in China and Japan, where you can take up to 2 weeks off each month..Some include
a business class ticket home and back..Please do some research if you are interested..

Fly safe,
B-757

Black Crow
30th Sep 2018, 13:36
I fail to see the mind boggling part? It's a commuting contract that not that many airlines offer. There's more than enough rest between flights and the usual days off between flights and stdby days too. Of course depends also on the fleet you are in, but scheduling is not bad at all.
And if you are going to compare it to the USA or Europe, well, not everyone can go there to fly so for a lot of people those are not even options to consider.

These "commuting schedules" are pure crap. Ever wonder why airlines in the west don't resort to such scheduling tactics (except for the bottom feeders). And it's hilarious (if not pathetic) that you include "standby days". Got news for you, duty is duty. A standby day is not a day off as you are obligated.

Black Crow
30th Sep 2018, 13:41
..There are several commuting jobs available in Asia, mostly in China and Japan, where you can take up to 2 weeks off each month..Some include
a business class ticket home and back..Please do some research if you are interested..

Fly safe,
B-757

Go do the research on those great offers and find out how many are actually what are advertised. At least the Japanese have some dignity in their contracts. A Chinese contract? Not on your life. Same goes with several other asian countries.

Don't forget, in asian culture an employment contract is meant to give the employer all the benefit while placing the employee into indentured servitude where the contract can be "reinterpreted" at the discretion of the employer. And lots of luck seeking justice as an expat in their courts if you feel wronged.

B-757
30th Sep 2018, 23:57
Go do the research on those great offers and find out how many are actually what are advertised. At least the Japanese have some dignity in their contracts. A Chinese contract? Not on your life. Same goes with several other asian countries.

Don't forget, in asian culture an employment contract is meant to give the employer all the benefit while placing the employee into indentured servitude where the contract can be "reinterpreted" at the discretion of the employer. And lots of luck seeking justice as an expat in their courts if you feel wronged.
..This is probably true in some cases..However, if you go through a western contract agency, get your contract in writing, and they will be obligated to follow it..
..Also,the fact is, that there are hundreds of westeners flying in Japan and China f.ex , as we speak..And what I hear most of them are quite happy doing what they are doing..So with some time and research it is possible to find a nice commuting job in Asia, and be at home for 2 weeks every month..If that´s what you want to do, these positions are not for everybody..Perfect jobs do not exist..

Fly safe,
B-757

PhantomPilot
1st Oct 2018, 02:49
These "commuting schedules" are pure crap. Ever wonder why airlines in the west don't resort to such scheduling tactics (except for the bottom feeders). And it's hilarious (if not pathetic) that you include "standby days". Got news for you, duty is duty. A standby day is not a day off as you are obligated.

Oh man, you gotta see my previous contract on a "western" airline, that was crap (not a US airline because as I told you I cannot work there, so I really don't care what airlines there do). So you prefer a contract with no option to commute home? It's not a gimmick, is just an option for those who need it. For me this one works perfectly.
And I'm not including the stndy days as a benefit, just stating the fact than you get those days sometimes, or is that something no airline in the world does? People are asking about working conditions, days off, etc, and stndy days are days too. Yes, duty days but you don't get many and you don't get called with short notice.

PhantomPilot
1st Oct 2018, 02:52

Fly safe,
B-757

Not really interested in going to China or Japan. A friend recently moved to Japan but his contract wouldn't work for me. We all have different lives. Not everything is money when you live abroad.

Black Crow
1st Oct 2018, 22:26
Oh man, you gotta see my previous contract on a "western" airline, that was crap (not a US airline because as I told you I cannot work there, so I really don't care what airlines there do). So you prefer a contract with no option to commute home? It's not a gimmick, is just an option for those who need it. For me this one works perfectly.
And I'm not including the stndy days as a benefit, just stating the fact than you get those days sometimes, or is that something no airline in the world does? People are asking about working conditions, days off, etc, and stndy days are days too. Yes, duty days but you don't get many and you don't get called with short notice.

Oh well, somebody has to take those bottom feeder jobs.

PhantomPilot
2nd Oct 2018, 00:49
Oh well, somebody has to take those bottom feeder jobs.

Not even. It was a big international airline. Again, not in the USA.

Daddy Fantastic
2nd Oct 2018, 13:11
Set FedEx as your goal for a Hong Kong domicile. You can have the best of both worlds for the time you are allowed to stay in HKG.

No chance of getting in unless you are a US citizen or green card holder. They dont sponsor visas like E3 for Aussies if that is what you are alluding to, if not my mistake.

avi8safely
15th Oct 2018, 02:35
I’m looking for recent updates about EVA.
I tried to contact some onthis thread but have had n response yet.
Anyone currently flying or had flown at EVA, would you please pm me?
It will be much appreciated.

PhantomPilot
16th Oct 2018, 02:53
I’m looking for recent updates about EVA.
I tried to contact some onthis thread but have had n response yet.
Anyone currently flying or had flown at EVA, would you please pm me?
It will be much appreciated.

Sorry, just saw your message. PM me any questions.

avi8safely
21st Nov 2018, 12:44
Anyone currently working at EVA, can you tell me about annual pay increase?
Rough idea will be appreciated.

FxxMeAmFamous
15th Feb 2019, 16:18
Hi everyone,

this seems to be a very debated topic.
I actually finish my assessment successfully , and want to get a head start regarding training.
Any that can help me get a big picture of whats coming next?
How long takes the training?
any material that can be shared?
what is the average pass mark?
how long to start training line training?

Kindly reach me on [email protected]

Thanking you,

Karllog
9th Jul 2019, 02:52
Does anyone know what the salary is like for expat captains in EVA?

Thanks

pilotchute
18th Jul 2019, 22:19
Just a quick question about EVA age limit for pilot recruitment. Some agencies are saying no older than 45 and others are saying no such limit.

Anyone on the inside know?

Cheets

freddy747
19th Jul 2019, 03:36
45 is the maximum for pilots without PIC hours on Jet.

duncanidaho50
20th Jul 2019, 15:07
Hi guys, who allows hand flying , in all the airlines in asia ? ANA expact on 75/76 as far as I know does. But I am thinking of EVA 777 FO "fast track" and I am wondering if I'll be a nightmare and also if I'll lose all my flying skills. Thanks

bringbackthe80s
22nd Jul 2019, 05:46
It will not be a nightmare and you won’t lose any flying skills. I know many more happy people flying in Asia compared to friends in Europe.
This of course if you have an open mind, forget your preconceptions and respect the locals. If not, it can be a nightmare indeed.

ILS13
23rd Jul 2019, 19:40
Could somebody currently in Eva please shoot me a PM? Preferably somebody who just recently began. Thanks all!

Eleanor92
6th Aug 2019, 09:27
Hey guys are there any updates on EVA? Will they still hire NTR FO 777 going on early 2020s? I’d appreciate any insight, thanks!

Truckdriverhsu
10th Aug 2019, 04:01
I dont understand the hostility towards asian airlines and the culture, so id like to clarify some facts. Some facts mentioned in this thread are undeniably correct, but also includes factors you should consider when accepting them as your reference. I cannot speak for all asian countries nor airlines, but the below information, is just for your reference and others with probably the same question.

Just to add to some validity, i was a full sponsored ab-initio cadet working in a national carrier in east Asia as a National pilot, so am very fortunate, and as most western pilots would dispise, a 1000hr wide body jet First Officer. I did not grow up in my home country, it would be considered i grew up in the west, a banana some might consider.

Some advice first. Get your command hours first, no countries in the world are short of First Officers. You'll have much greater leverage, options and bargain power once you have your command hours, even if you are to apply for NTR Captains in Asia.

So, whats up with the hostility towards asian pilots? Yes, we do not welcome expats, there i said it. Just like how the US/EU carriers DO NOT accept pilots who are non-citizens/residences. All countries, want to protect their own labour opportunities, especially in the avaition industry. The fact that we do, shows that Asia is definitely still short of pilots (captain mostly ofcourse).

Instructors, are not god. I dont know what information or what pilots other people have met, and ive come across national instructors, south african instructors, Australian instructor a whole lot, and people are people, there are instructors who you just dont like, nor do they like you, it depends on your attitude and skill too, does it not? As if working in western airlines dont have this issue. Im going to come clean though, some specific airlines or fleets do have a higher possibly to meeting such instructors, but most are freindly.

As for being an expat, it depends what life or monetary compensation you expect to be honest. Most are concerned about wages and leaves and rosters obviously. I can provide you some insight.

CA flagship carrier monthly salary average to USD11,000-15,000, there may or maynot be taxes, housing allowance, per diem etc.

Expect 10 consecutive days leave a month, with complimentary business class tickets each month to go home.

The other 20 days, you can expect **** roster as most has correctly stated. Work your ass off, minimum rest.

I personally, enjoy this, i like having weeks long consecutive days off.

​​

Black Crow
14th Aug 2019, 12:42
So, whats up with the hostility towards asian pilots? Yes, we do not welcome expats, there i said it. Just like how the US/EU carriers DO NOT accept pilots who are non-citizens/residences. All countries, want to protect their own labour opportunities, especially in the avaition industry. The fact that we do, shows that Asia is definitely still short of pilots (captain mostly ofcourse).​​

Western airlines accept pilots who have the right to work in their respective countries. It's not uncommon to see various nationalities working in western airlines, even the majors. But the key here is those foreign nationals went through a process to either gain citizenship or become a resident. The big difference is, western airlines welcome anyone, irregardless of nationality as long as they meet the criteria. Asian airlines have an obvious grudge against westerners, even if they jump through the hoops of citizenship or residency of the host country.

Instructors, are not god. I dont know what information or what pilots other people have met, and ive come across national instructors, south african instructors, Australian instructor a whole lot, and people are people, there are instructors who you just dont like, nor do they like you, it depends on your attitude and skill too, does it not? As if working in western airlines dont have this issue. Im going to come clean though, some specific airlines or fleets do have a higher possibly to meeting such instructors, but most are freindly.
​​

In western airlines, the training is professional and taught by professionals. The majority of western airlines have embraced the AQP method of training which focuses on actually training the pilot, not just giving a continuous checkride.

In asian culture, training must be brutal and humiliating. The asian philosophy is "If you are punished, you will learn". While western airlines have Instructors who are vested in seeing the students succeed, asian carrier instructors view themselves as the ones that must weed out the weak.

Also, in asian culture, titles mean everything. To have the title "instructor" or "check pilot" means they sit on the side of God himself, and they are to never be questioned. Never.

Austro767
14th Aug 2019, 21:25
Well honestly, all may be right or wrong what is written here, never done an expat career nor ever been flying for any far-eastern airline. But for sure, sky isn't that blue (or pink) in western airlines either. There is training- (or better check-) personell around, and i mean now in major airlines, which would perfectly fit tino the culture you are describing here. Maybe just the density of such guys is lower.

my 5cnts.

Macarto
19th Aug 2019, 01:56
Black Crow

Western Airlines accept pilots who have the right to work in their respective countries. However the difference is that these foreign nationals who wish to work in the west have to gain citizenship or become a resident which you have clearly stated. However it is different in Asia, Westerners can come and work without having to gain citizenship or become a resident, so that makes it easier for westerners to come over to work in Asia.

A disadvantage for Asians i believe

Black Crow
24th Aug 2019, 13:53
Black Crow

Western Airlines accept pilots who have the right to work in their respective countries. However the difference is that these foreign nationals who wish to work in the west have to gain citizenship or become a resident which you have clearly stated. However it is different in Asia, Westerners can come and work without having to gain citizenship or become a resident, so that makes it easier for westerners to come over to work in Asia.

A disadvantage for Asians i believe

You have your information wrong.

Anyone working in any asian country must comply with that countries immigration laws and right to work laws. Each country has different requirements, but someone working as an expat still must obey local laws. One of the biggest hurdles to working in asia is obtaining a right to work status.

arvida
2nd Sep 2019, 18:48
Hi,
Any updated reviews for this company? What's the commuting roster?

Thanx

T7ER
5th Dec 2019, 02:31
Hi,
Any updated reviews for this company? What's the commuting roster?

Thanx

Hi! There are few news. This is as the day of today, because things change a lot. First of all, they won’t admit it but the strike from cabin crew earlier this year had quite some impact. No more year bonus! Money wise, they still pay on time tho. But no more protection on currency exchange. We are paid in NTD (Taiwan dollar) and at the moment, the USD is not good, so we are loosing money. Same for Euro. It used to be better and they used to have a protection for devaluation of the currency. But not anymore.
They are still looking for pilots because they simply can not keep them. Upgrade is kinda of a lure... it is true that they do upgrade. But, not fast at all... as any company, it depends on man power and company needs. They have a lots of cadets and of course, they will have priority. I have no idea why, but Malaysians and Japanese also have priority in upgrade. Basically within 2 years, upgrade as SFO then 3 to 4 years max, as captain. For other expats, it takes 4 to 5 years to upgrade as SFO then 5 to 6 years as Captain. Everything works with seniority and unfortunately, they can say any excuses in order not to upgrade you or to change you to an other fleet. Example, at the moment, lots of cadets and Malaysians and Japanese, and as I said, I have no idea why, they have better contract and more priority (even if they will not admit it and will keep repeat you that they treat all employee the same), that means that, as a foreigner from other country, you will upgrade after them even if you join before them. Easy to realize that, as they publish the list of upgrade, with id number and names. Id numbers are just numbers or starts with a letter (A..., B..., C... etc...) And you will see : for example you hold an id number starting like F123... and later, you will see that a guy, joining after you with id number G984.. is upgrading! As for that, it is easy to see that he joins after, but upgrade earlier. And of course, as a result all consequences, such as no improvement of your salary compare to others, lower self-esteem, etc...
Regarding work environment, it is a bit better than before but still very asian, juniors owe big respect to seniors and can not talk and express themself much. Culture of fear, punishment and bully is still very present but they try to improve... things change very slow in here.
Well, that’s it I guess. I hope it helps.

NP12345
10th Feb 2020, 04:59
Great info!
If you’re able to add to this, how do you find the crews overall? Any information on the day to day working and environment and rosters would be greatly appreciated.

PilotDanP
10th Feb 2020, 20:31
Ive not worked as an Eva air FO but ive lived in taiwan as an expat and can tell you that its a great plade to live. In fact id say that its underrated.

Cost of living is cheap, its super safe in all respects and it has one of the best health care systems in the world. Its also very modern. You can also pick up mandarin.

As an American youd also appreciate how Taiwanese love Americans right now. Many people speak English too.

Some of the disadvantages are that its humid (more than texas humid). But the winters are mild and some places are very bearable like Taichung.

If you have questions about living in Taiwan feel free to pm me. Ive lived in Taiwan for 3 years and am married into the culture. Ive also lived in Asia for ten years.

Zymian
11th Feb 2020, 10:12
Probably because most Malaysians who join are already rated on either the 737 or Airbus 330 and have airline experience with hours.
Upgrade isn’t just about your seniority in the company. Not to mention the sim check and knowledge.

just saying

NP12345
18th Feb 2020, 01:27
Are most of the newly hired expats still going onto the dreamliner ?

weimaraners
23rd Feb 2020, 14:36
How is the conditions and roster for Expats in EVA? is the Commuting option available to expats?

Currently giving a thought to NTR 787 FO position and would appreciate some info.

Any PM are welcome.

FreeMyPlane
8th Mar 2020, 09:57
Any News about EVA Air,

How is it now? In Regards to Company culture and time to Upgrade?

arvida
14th Mar 2020, 16:14
I would bet they stopped hiring

dl_88
15th Mar 2020, 07:12
Any News about EVA Air,

How is it now? In Regards to Company culture and time to Upgrade?

just operated through TPE, they are parking their aircraft all over the airport. Would imagine hiring would be on the back burner

737dan
22nd Mar 2020, 13:32
Is there anyone currently in Eva who would be interested in having a more private discussion about life there?
I’m currently a 73 FO in Australia and don’t see much of a future here once this corona issue resolves itself.
Haven’t held a jet command (roughly 6500hrs tot) so EVA seems like a good option for a potential upgrade at some point. Realistically... a command will likely be 10-15 years away in Aus now, provided the airline even survives :(

samca
10th May 2020, 09:39
Is EVA currently hiring pilots?

Climb150
10th May 2020, 15:31
Samca,

So far you have asked on different threads about the hiring situation at Air Arabia, Pegasus, Wizz Europe and Abu Dhabi, Bamboo Air and now Eva.

It appears nobody is hiring so maybe give it a rest for a while? As soon as someone starts hiring Pprune will be all over it in seconds.

samca
10th May 2020, 20:16
Samca,

So far you have asked on different threads about the hiring situation at Air Arabia, Pegasus, Wizz Europe and Abu Dhabi, Bamboo Air and now Eva.

It appears nobody is hiring so maybe give it a rest for a while? As soon as someone starts hiring Pprune will be all over it in seconds.

and I will continue asking for another 300 airlines more. Sorry if it is a problem for you. I don’t see the point of your reply

Climb150
11th May 2020, 01:31
Well only a fool would think anyone other than a few cargo airlines are hiring right now. I don't know any passenger carrying airlines that right now aren't struggling to survive.

But if your fine with looking like a fool go ahead.

samca
11th May 2020, 06:32
Well only a fool would think anyone other than a few cargo airlines are hiring right now. I don't know any passenger carrying airlines that right now aren't struggling to survive.

But if your fine with looking like a fool go ahead.

That is your suppose. I have 3 interviews in the comming weeks. So maybe you are fool not me

FlightDetent
11th May 2020, 15:40
Tell us more, who are they? Since you trust the forum and its members to offer guidance, surely for a gentleman of your calibre it would only be a little gesture of giving back. Many could use your help!

lee_apromise
11th May 2020, 16:09
and I will continue asking for another 300 airlines more. Sorry if it is a problem for you. I don’t see the point of your reply

Still such a royal pain in the butt since forever huh.

Looking for a job and still don't even do a due diligence like asking APAS when the recruitment will resume?

I did, they said the interviews will resume in July pending COVID-19.

samca
11th May 2020, 21:32
Tell us more, who are they? Since you trust the forum and its members to offer guidance, surely for a gentleman of your calibre it would only be a little gesture of giving back. Many could use your help!
send me a private message and I’ll tell you 🤩

Climb150
12th May 2020, 01:48
That is your suppose. I have 3 interviews in the comming weeks. So maybe you are fool not me
​​​​​
My job fortunately is very safe. Three interviews? In this job climate? You are either very gifted of talking cr@p.

j.nips
12th May 2020, 03:51
​​​​​
My job fortunately is very safe. Three interviews? In this job climate? You are either very gifted of talking cr@p.

I wouldn't call an initial Skype from an agent a job interview either.

samca
12th May 2020, 07:33
I wouldn't call an initial Skype from an agent a job interview either.
no Skype interview. Face to face. Because I know how to move and I don’t cry or blame on others stupid things like you are doing here.

samca
12th May 2020, 07:36
​​​​​
yes 3. There is job is you are ready to move and stop your attitude guys. There is job. Move your ass instead of blame and judge people on this forum. Focus your frustration in other way. Not in colleagues here just because we ask about the situation of an airline. And if you are bored take a book and study.

IBE8720
12th May 2020, 07:47
yes 3. There is job is you are ready to move and stop your attitude guys. There is job. Move your ass instead of blame and judge people on this forum. Focus your frustration in other way. Not in colleagues here just because we ask about the situation of an airline. And if you are bored take a book and study.

You have been searching a job since June last year. (You enquired about Aeroflot on this forum. You suggested Wizz Air open a base in Spain for you. You enquired about Jetstar Japan. And EVA only hire F/O's which makes me wonder why you were asking about Captain positions). Yet now that the Aviation World is facing its biggest contraction in history, you have 3 interviews?
No wonder people hate flying with us Spanish.

Roti Canai
12th May 2020, 08:06
Maybe you could tell us which 3 companies you got an interview with?

FlightDetent
12th May 2020, 08:38
send me a private message and I’ll tell you 🤩I've cleaned my PM box, in case your message bounced. Sorry for that, now fixed.

Climb150
12th May 2020, 15:53
Samca,

Now this is getting interesting. I have a list of airlines maybe you haven't tried as all your posts seem to suggest you been looking for work preCovid.

Royal Brunei

​​​​​​Wow that is the only one you haven't seemed to have asked about!!!

samca
16th May 2020, 07:27
There are restrictions, so no foreigners can enter those countries until further notice.

Physically no but there is online interviews.
anyway guys good luck all of you

Roti Canai
16th May 2020, 08:16
Samca I was merely asking if you would mind sharing which 3 companies
you have had luck with. Not for your Wife's No. not your fracking bank acc
either or to call you full of C:eek:ap etc.

Have a nice day buddy,

FlightDetent
16th May 2020, 09:42
Thank you for sharing, PM no longer expected. You may want to add Sichuan Airlines to the list of companies who are looking to hire people.

Climb150
17th May 2020, 00:30
Samca was asking about the Peach interview a few days ago. I personally think he just posts on here for something to do as he has been asking for info about airlines for at least 12 months.

I have also heard some Asia based Airlines and agencies are just collecting CV's at the moment. No actual jobs.

Roti Canai
17th May 2020, 08:38
I guess this might set off a moving target again. I already looked at Loong air and someone just posted
on the Loong air forum what I was told already before being told do I want someones credit card
details etc as well.

italian stallion
17th May 2020, 13:52
Damn I thought this thread was about Eva working conditions 😂😂

italian stallion
18th May 2020, 04:20
So i know beggars can't be choosers and there's no much out there currently but would you think Eva is an option , I'd be going from LH seat on 738-800 the last 8 yrs or so to RH seat at Eva.
whilst our airline is still around but possibly not operating until about September I'm just looming at what options there are.
The T's and C's at Eva don't look that enticing though I must say.

thanks

Climb150
18th May 2020, 15:01
I know a guy who is sitting on yes letter since January. He has been told that when things improve he will be called to start.

Regardless of what agencies say, nothing is happening at Eva hiring wise for at least 3-6 months and they already have people waiting from interviews already done.

4eoe
18th May 2020, 17:13
Does Eva upgrade expats?

Climb150
24th May 2020, 00:53
Does Eva upgrade expats?
Please let me know why you ask?

4eoe
24th May 2020, 02:40
Please let me know why you ask?
Curiosity. Do you know if they upgrade?

Climb150
24th May 2020, 13:24
They do upgrade but they aren't hiring and won't be for a long time which is why I am wondering the reason for your question.

4eoe
24th May 2020, 23:41
They do upgrade but they aren't hiring and won't be for a long time which is why I am wondering the reason for your question.
Not planning to apply if that's what you're wondering, just curious. Thank you for the answer.

Threethirty
12th Jun 2020, 13:17
Can anyone in EVA confirm if EVA are recruiting again? I’ve seen some of the agencies are advertising for possible screenings in 2021. There is also an application form presented on the EVA website. Ordinarily do you go through an agency or can you apply directly? Many thanks.

Climb150
12th Jun 2020, 20:06
Many agencies give phone numbers. Why don't you call and ask?

Mumbai_radio
1st Jul 2020, 08:08
No expats layoff, no mandatory unpaid leave, no paycut but only voluntary schedule adjustment for less pay.

I heard it was the same through 1997 asian currency crisis and 2008 financial crisis which can tell you a lot about this company.

PilotLZ
2nd Jul 2020, 07:43
Sounds like someone worth working for. And what about supporting expat pilots stuck in their home countries and unable to come to work due to lack of connections to Taiwan? The same?

Mumbai_radio
2nd Jul 2020, 07:54
Sounds like someone worth working for. And what about supporting expat pilots stuck in their home countries and unable to come to work due to lack of connections to Taiwan? The same?

Expats on certain fleets have been already called back for operation. There are many different pilot supporting measures dependIng on your situation which I cannot lay out all, but all in all it is good.

bringbackthe80s
2nd Jul 2020, 08:28
Excellent, good to know

SaulGoodman
2nd Jul 2020, 11:54
Even during the first years as contractor?

Mumbai_radio
2nd Jul 2020, 16:44
Even during the first years as contractor?

yes I am on my first one. Even the new guys under training whose contracts have not even started have been called back to resume training.

5strypes
10th Aug 2020, 18:55
I’m curious, given Taiwan being apparently at the forefront of managing COVID-19, is there any likelihood that the current recruitment will actually be followed through? The CV is in, but silence ensues...

lee_apromise
11th Aug 2020, 03:52
I’m curious, given Taiwan being apparently at the forefront of managing COVID-19, is there any likelihood that the current recruitment will actually be followed through? The CV is in, but silence ensues...

Not all but Expat FOs got sent home with unpaid leave. Seriously anybody expecting to be hired in 2020 is delusional.

bringbackthe80s
11th Aug 2020, 05:30
Do you mean all expat FOs are sent home and locals are flying?

learjet87
12th Aug 2020, 14:51
Not all but Expat FOs got sent home with unpaid leave. Seriously anybody expecting to be hired in 2020 is delusional.

That’s not correct , actually as they mentioned before , since the epidemic situation is different depending of the country each individual lives , it has different needs, and the company has been VERY supportive with all of us, no one has even mentioned layoffs ,as they wrote before , company has supported all their employees during previous crisis and this is not the exemption , definitely a GREAT Company to work .

as per the comment Quoted , you have several options you can choose as expat depending on individual needs , no one has been forced to any decision or being subject to a pay cut unless you choose it for personal reasons .

bringbackthe80s
13th Aug 2020, 05:22
There are countries in Asia where being a permanent employee of an organization is a very big deal. You are seen as part of a family, and while you are expected to work sometimes longer hours or give up days off, it is really not contemplated to dispose of you as times get tough.
A job means more than a paycheck and is often your social circle, your status and way of life in their culture, the law protects you accordingly.
I am not saying layoffs don’t happen, but it’s a lot harder to implement for the employer compared
to any country in Europe or the US (forget
the unions).
This is something that is not understandable for someone who only worked under a western style management, and this is the culture behind many companies in a place like Taiwan or a (very) few other nations in Asia.

This said, good luck to all of us as we’ll need it.

flyhigh85
25th Aug 2020, 09:16
I am in contact with 2 agencies. Direct personell say recruitment is suspended until further notice. FCI say EVA has started to review CV”s again and resumed recruitment. Who is right? (This is for B787 fleet) Which agency is the prefered one by pilots alredy working in EVA?

Thanks alot cheers

flytoget
26th Aug 2020, 15:08
Hello! I have been advised by my contractor that recruitment is suspended as from 21st of august so they will have into account applications submitted before that time. They have also informed that EVA will be hiring a total of 100 FOs in 2021 and screenings will commence for selected candidates as soon as travel bans are removed (November). Any extra info about it? Thanks a lot

Saudia330
26th Dec 2020, 14:54
Any news about recruitment?

Ridinghigh
30th Mar 2021, 22:41
Got invited for an interview this month. 2 weeks quarantine and all the other stuff.

Anyone got any info available about the current contract, training bond etc?

Saudia330
5th Jun 2021, 14:33
Anyone knows the limit age for FO position?
Thanks.

jetjockey696
5th Jun 2021, 16:33
Pilots between 40 and 45 years of age need 500 hours on Jet with MTOW > 20 tons and experience with FMC and Glass cockpit,
Pilots above 45 years of age require PIC experience with advanced aircraft, max age is 50,
Bachelor's degree and 2 years working experience OR 5 years working exp. as a commercial pilot,

3cy3D
6th Sep 2021, 17:19
Hi guys, any updates about Eva?

flytoget
6th Sep 2021, 23:05

I was contacted by the recruitment team two months ago to send them an update of my flight hours but haven’t heard anything since.

Taiwan borders are still closed for non residents so I guess there won’t be any update until borders reopen.

Does anyone have more info?

Curry Lamb
7th Sep 2021, 04:21

She’s still doing Taiwan, and very good at it. The guys are all very satisfied :ok:

ThrustAssymComp
7th Sep 2021, 06:36
She’s still doing Taiwan, and very good at it. The guys are all very satisfied :ok:

is it available for commuting?

freddy747
7th Sep 2021, 09:13
is it available for commuting?
The commutes are off. The CDC made all pilots do 7 days quarantine after a flight followed by 7 days 'enhanced self management' (you are allowed to go out for shopping). So if your family is in TPE you were lucky to see them 4 days a month. Now they are going to 5 days quarantine and 9 days SEM. As a result most pilots are hanging in there through Covid or on "sabbatical" and will leave the company first chance they get ;-)

Saudia330
11th Sep 2021, 07:27
People think pilots are murderers because we brought back the virus’: Taiwan’s Covid scapegoats‘Imprisoned’ by quarantine and isolated from their families, flight crews have become social pariahs
ByNicola Smith, (https://www.telegraph.co.uk/authors/n/nf-nj/nicola-smith/) ASIA CORRESPONDENT10 September 2021 • 5:28pmTaiwan’s pilots and aircrews were once admired for their glamourous lifestyles, and feted for operating the flights at the heart of the island’s export-heavy economy.

Now, “imprisoned” by back-to-back quarantine, and isolated from their families, their globe-trotting profession also makes them social pariahs in the eyes of a public that has largely been protected from Covid-19.

Parties, restaurants, gyms and even a trip to the beach with their children are all forbidden for flight crews under some of toughest quarantine rules in the world.

This week, pilots working for Taiwanese airlines warned the toll of 18 months of severe pandemic restrictions (https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/two-tier-pandemic-taiwan-opens-migrant-workforce-still-endures/) had been so damaging to physical and mental health they feared it could compromise flight safety.

“People are trying to not leave each other alone in the cockpit,” one pilot told the Telegraph, describing the exhaustion of being indefinitely deprived of a normal life, while facing rising online hate.
AdvertisementIn an online pilot chat group ahead of a Thursday meeting between union representatives and Taiwan’s Civil Aeronautics Administration and Centres for Disease Control, crew members pleaded for safety concerns to be raised.

“Among almost 3,000 pilots some may be depressed and bullied to the point of doing fatal mistakes, if not intentionally? How can I make sure that the colleague next to me won’t be the next Germanwings case,” read one message, referring to the 2015 tragedy when a co-pilot on the German airline deliberately crashed a plane into a mountain.

The severe coronavirus outbreaks ravaging much of Asia (https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/asian-nations-ahead-covid-game-now-risk-losing-advantage/) has left Taiwan on edge, prompting the government’s Central Epidemic Command Centre (CECC) to tightened rules for aircrews to prevent the more contagious Delta variant from breaking through.

The regime begins with layover flights, where long haul airline crew are monitored by their electronic hotel key to ensure they don’t leave the room until the journey home.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/global-health/2021/09/10/TELEMMGLPICT000228072713_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqpVlberWd9EgFPZtcL iMQf0Rf_Wk3V23H2268P_XkPxc.jpeg?imwidth=480The severe coronavirus outbreaks ravaging much of Asia has left Taiwan on edge, resulting in tightened rules for aircrews CREDIT: ANN WANG /ReuterOn return, fully vaccinated crew now undergo five days quarantine in a hotel or company dorm, followed by nine days of “enhanced self-health management.”
AdvertisementDuring this period, they must avoid public transport, crowded spaces, group activities and venues that include hospitals, malls, children’s playgrounds, restaurants, places of worship and events such as weddings or concerts, all of which renders regular family life impossible.

The Telegraph spoke to several pilots and their family members, local and foreign, about the impact of indefinite isolation. All requested anonymity to avoid a backlash, and did not wish to name their airlines, who they did not blame for the crisis.

They had decided to speak out not only due to fears that depression could lead to a “catastrophic” event but to counter the growing vilification of their once-respected profession by the public and local media, despite the personal sacrifices of airline staff.

The pilot community believes it has been scapegoated after three Covid-19 outbreaks since December – including a small Delta variant cluster last week – were linked to flight crews.

Airline employees claim rising discrimination, including incidents of schools asking their children to stay home and healthcare facilities refusing to treat them. One pilot reported a colleague had suffered a suspected broken foot for months as he could not get admitted to hospital.
AdvertisementOnce proud of their jobs, many no longer admit publicly to their profession.

“You feel ashamed of being a pilot here in Taiwan,” said one. “I’m not going to say I’m a pilot. I feel like I’m hiding, like a thief,” he said.

“People are thinking the pilots are murderers because we brought back the virus,” said another crew member, describing a “witchhunt” atmosphere, fuelled by online hate and bullying, including comments wishing death on pilots.

Constantly shifting rules have left crew confused and nervous that “the slightest violation can cost our jobs,” said the pilot. “We just need to know what is the way out because right now we don’t see any hope.”

Taiwan, an island of 24 million, has been globally championed for its robust pandemic response, which has kept cases down to about 16,000 and deaths at 837 through tight border controls that impose 14 day quarantines on all arrivals.

The government’s success has raised the political pressure to meet high public expectations and placate fears of a serious outbreak while the majority of the population remains unvaccinated.
AdvertisementMeanwhile, air crews and their families have increasingly become collateral damage of the nation’s “zero Covid” strategy.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/global-health/2021/09/10/TELEMMGLPICT000227537052_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqpVlberWd9EgFPZtcL iMQf0Rf_Wk3V23H2268P_XkPxc.jpeg?imwidth=480Public opinion began to turn against airline crew after a Covid-positive pilot broke the island’s 253-day streak of no local transmissions CREDIT: MINISTRY OF NATIONAL DEFENSE /EPA-EFE/ShutterstockDespite the pandemic, exports have remained strong over the past year, raising economic growth forecasts for 2021 to 5.88 per cent. About half of shipments are transported by air.

Cargo flights operated by the two main carriers EVA Air and China Airlines bring in vital supplies like food and vaccines, and remain crucial to the global supply chain of semiconductors.

But the tide of public opinion began to turn against airline crew in December after a Covid-positive New Zealand pilot working for EVA broke the island’s 253-day streak of no local transmissions. He was later fined £7,900 by the authorities and fired from his job for failing to disclose his contacts and activities.

The breach resulted in a tiny cluster of four people, but the public was still infuriated. Pilots were also frustrated that they were widely castigated as a group of privileged rule-breakers.

“They have done an incredible job at keeping the virus out but unfortunately people see one or two slipups as failure, rather than see thousands and thousands of flights as a success,” said one pilot’s wife.
AdvertisementTaiwan’s largest outbreak of the pandemic in May (https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/05/19/taiwans-covid-stumble-shows-no-country-can-open-soon/) and resulting three-month lockdown was initially believed to have been triggered by a cluster at an airport quarantine hotel for China Airlines flight crews.

Chen Shih-chung, the health minister, clarified in August that the cluster had not spread to the community, but not before another wave of public anger had been unleashed on airline staff.

“The worst part is the constant media persecution, everywhere you read ‘its the pilots, the pilots!’” said another spouse, adding that she was regularly being scrutinised by parents at her child’s school. “We’re being attacked constantly, pointed at constantly,” she said.

Another blow to staff morale came last week after 55 pilots and flight attendants and their families were quarantined in state facilities after three pilots and one’s teenage son were found to be infected with the Delta variant, resulting in the closure of a high school and 2,855 tests.

Photos leaked to the local media showed bleak rooms with opaque windows, dirty floors and dead insects. For already demoralised pilots, the order to bring their families was a step too far.
AdvertisementThe impact of restrictions on family life was creating desperation, said one pilot who spoke of a colleague who had cried in the cockpit because he was barred from seeing his newborn.

But he said staff were afraid to admit to the pressure in case they lost their jobs. “The company is trying to tell us there is a psychiatrist if we want to talk about it. Of course, nobody wants to talk about it,” he said.

Pandemic-related mental health issues are not unique to Taiwanese airlines, nor are the challenges of addressing them.

In June, the Lived Experience and Wellbeing Project at Trinity College, Dublin, which studies the link between aviation worker wellbeing and flight safety, warned that airlines were overlooking mental health in the scramble to get planes in the air again.

In an August 2020 survey of more than 2,000 aviation workers, it found that they had suffered moderate anxiety and depression more than the general population during the pandemic.

“However, the culture in aviation means pilots cannot speak openly - stigma, loss of license, loss of earnings - and avail of the same supports as the rest of the population,” said Dr Joan Cahill, the report’s principal investigator.
Advertisement“We have established health monitoring processes for aircraft – but not for our people,” she said.

The Telegraph contacted the CAA, CECC and the Taiwanese airlines.

A CAA spokesperson said the body was aware of the mental stress facing pilots and in active talks with the CECC and pilots’ unions on how to improve conditions, snuff out public misconceptions and rearrange working schedules to allow more quality family time.

“The CECC commander is aware of the seriousness of this, and they are trying to find a better way that would be able to balance the mental health of pilots and also the economic export of our country,” she said.

EVA said it was supporting staff in substandard quarantine facilities and “optimising our schedule and method of dispatching flights to relieve some of the physical and mental health stresses our air crews may be experiencing.”

It said it had offered pilots professional counselling sessions and extended leave for mental or physical health reasons. “We also sent a letter to every member of our air crews, thanking them for their tremendous efforts and sacrifices,” the company said.
Advertisement

PUBLICIDAD

China Airlines also thanked its pilots. “The physical and mental well-being of pilots is important to China Airlines. A caring team was set up to actively reach out and support pilots put at risk during the line of duty whether they are currently in quarantine or continuing to fly,” it said.

It said it was “remaining vigilant at all times. As aviation safety is our top priority, we strive to ensure the physical and mental wellbeing of every crew member.”

*Additional reporting: John Liu

Applefan
11th Sep 2021, 12:44
No matter what they promise, your vaccine will most likely never get recognize (They are not WHO member anyway). Ask yourself are you willing to receive 2 more Local Certified vaccine. If you refuse to be vaccinated with local certified vaccine, you run risk of losing your job or quarantine that never ends.

ThrustAssymComp
22nd Sep 2021, 08:20
As long as I can work there, it’s okay.

777JockeyIN
7th Jan 2022, 15:58
Are they hiring again ? I see a lot of adverts on hiring sites.

Qbix
30th Jan 2022, 03:41
Thought Taiwan was an independent modern country. No, they belong to China. Won't have any regrets if that happen soon.
Bunch of retards

Colt rider
11th Mar 2022, 22:24
Today I got an answer from APAS , they said that hiring is stoped because borders are closed since May 2021. They will send my application when EVA is back on reviewing process.

777JockeyIN
12th Mar 2022, 00:08
Yet I see “hiring” in many job sites.

Jacky_tg26
8th Apr 2022, 03:32
Who know about hiring situation of EVA Air now? I applied already and waiting for next step.

Sharklet
25th Apr 2022, 13:43
Following my application last year, received an e-mail today to clarify some aspects of said application. An impending hiring spree here?

777JockeyIN
25th Apr 2022, 14:24
Wow ! The aviation is opening up again.

Sharklet
12th May 2022, 10:06
Anyone else got invites to screening dates in July?

Jacky_tg26
12th May 2022, 15:56
Do you have any news? I applied already and everything silent.

Sharklet
12th May 2022, 18:25
I applied directly in December and heard back only last month. 787-rated with 3k+ TT.

Frankym
9th Jun 2022, 22:22
I heard there's item of monthly pay called "safety bonus" , 500NTD for one leg. Can anyone confirm this ?

Pilot56
8th Oct 2023, 08:26

Exactly!!

Applefan
5th Dec 2023, 06:52
Pilots no longer able to commute as your commute back home is subject to load condition, that means you will get bumped off any minute in this peak travel season and limited flight frequency by EVA. Dont even mention business class, and family travel benefits, hahaha.

So, plan your life base on staying in the Nankantraz everyday.

vennnz
13th Dec 2023, 14:18
These are the latest working conditions

- Pilots are thinking about striking due to low wages that have been behind inflation for several years. Rumors are salary will increase maximum 10% and year-end bonus of 6 months basic salary (approx 1 month full salary).
EVA Air pilots threaten to strike (https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/5058443)

- Taiwanese pilots blame expats for low salaries, so they are trying to stop EVA from recruiting more foreign pilots, the irony is, that many Taiwanese pilots are trying to enter the US market and some with dual citizenship have already left while trying to pull more Taiwanese pilots into the US.

- Lots of expats are already in line to join several other carriers in the Middle East or the US. Some Malaysians already left for HKG-based carriers without finishing their 3-year contract.

- Eva still finding short-term solutions with unemployed thai pìlots and some other countries to replace the ones leaving, while management is calling some senior Capts to check whether they have an estimate of pilots that are willing to leave next year for manpower planning purposes

All this means that management's focus is on replacing pilots and not improving working conditions.

Jester85
22nd Dec 2023, 13:53
Hi All. Does Eva Air cover the cost of flight tickets and accommodation for the interview or is it at your own cost?

Sharklet
24th Dec 2023, 09:15
Hi All. Does Eva Air cover the cost of flight tickets and accommodation for the interview or is it at your own cost?

Flights on the EVA Air network are free. They provide a subsidy for flights to connect to their network of $10'000 NT. Accommodation is provided at their Pilot Dorm during the interview.

Jester85
25th Dec 2023, 13:36
Flights on the EVA Air network are free. They provide a subsidy for flights to connect to their network of $10'000 NT. Accommodation is provided at their Pilot Dorm during the interview.
Thank you Sharklet.

cygnet78
29th Dec 2023, 11:59
hahaha.. still have pilots interested in this **** hole company ? dont ever go near them
they can only go after those unemployed pilots. if you are jobless go ahead . never leave another job for them

aviator's_anonymous
22nd Jan 2024, 07:40
Taiwan's EVA Air pilots vote in favor of right to strike900 EVA Air pilots voted in favor of strike, only 10 opposed
https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/5082675

Applefan
25th Jan 2024, 15:30
The expat will have to renew working contract every 3-4 years, and this will be subject to everything on the good terms. (You are seem not giving troubles both in company and outside, you score all your checks, and etc..) yes, the eyes are watching you, everyday, everywhere.

Plus, you will be enjoying all the hatred and contempt as a “Lao Wai” in the cockpit, and you will never be one of them.

EUJetPilot
22nd Feb 2024, 09:58
Good Afternoon Everyone,

Any updates about current EVA Air working condition?

I am currently an European Jet Pilot (FO) in a company with terrible working condition (B2B without normal labour contract, no any life-medical-licence loss insurance, 2500€-3500€ NET maximum per month, no any paid leave etc.), so I am looking for some opportunity to improve a little bit my working condition and maybe jump into the widebody aircraft. I really love Asia so I would not mind to live in Taiwan.

I would like to ask some of You having knowledge about the present working condition there:

1. Is it possible to commute (They promise 8 consecutive days off per month)?
2. How about salary right now and for how many hours per month?
3. They provide accomodation - Do pilots have to pay for it?
4. How is the atmosphere now? I know about the strikes and not a too good attitude towards expats. Is this a really big problem right now?
5. Any chances for getting widebody aircraft? What are their needs right now?
6. Can I treat EVA as a stable company and be sure with them about not losing my job due to any stupid reasons? Stability is the only one advantage of my current employer.

7. What can I expect on the assessment? Is it hard? Any pass rate?
8. How can I prepare for their recruitment process? Any tips from which sources I can get knowledge they need and on what I should be focused the most?

Thank You for Your all replies.

Have a Good Day!

cygnet78
22nd Feb 2024, 20:58
still **** conditions... only go if you are jobless. local hated expat deeply.

Sutra
28th Feb 2024, 15:00
still **** conditions... only go if you are jobless. local hated expat deeply.
EUJetPilot - pay no heed.
50 Cent Party now recruiting swans.

Matra 4EB
15th Mar 2024, 09:26
If you're joining from another company (you said you're already flying wide body in the USA), then the first thing you have to bear in mind is that EVA follows a strict seniority system. There is no way they will take you in as a direct entry, regardless of any previous background. You will inevitably join as junior FO.

Years ago, I joined EVA Air because I needed 1000 hrs widebody, in order to apply for a job in the ME. I did my research and talked to several people before making the move, so I knew what I was getting myself into. After I had the hours (about 20 months later), I quit, and "the rest is history".
It worked out fine for me, I got what I wanted, so I don't complain. EVA is, what it is.

That being said: it was a tough time. Learning your manuals off by heart, getting humiliated by instructors, being hated and disrespected by check-in staff and by cabin crew, putting up with non-existent communication inside the cockpit, and going through totally pathetic ground school training (that included a twenty minute "self-defence" course, in Chinese, by some kickbox-dude). When sitting together with other expat-colleagues in a pub (locals don't want to be with you and after a while, you don't want to be with them either), you get the feeling that everyone is unhappy and all you ever chat about is "which company will you go to next?"
You live inside a run-down dorm, where you have a furnished studio with WiFi and a gym. It's convenient, because you only take the elevator down to the briefing room-area. You won't be spending too many nights there per month anyway, so it's alright. But it's not the same as a home. If you want to live in a flat somewhere, you can do that, but you will pay for it yourself. You also have free health insurance, but all that means is you may visit the EVA-medical center on the first floor of your dorm, where nobody speaks proper English and they hand you a handful of anti-biotics against your flu, your upset stomach or your back pain. If you get ill during a layover, woe to you, as you'll find yourself waiting on the corridor of a low-budget hospital between junkies and people with gunshot wounds.

On the positive side, layovers are usually long enough (you'll be doing a lot of North Pacific crossings to the USA). Rosters are really stable. The time that you spend in Nankaan doesn't cost you much, so though your salary is pretty low, so are your expenses. You do get your consecutive OFFs, you travel for free onboard EVA Air, and together with pretty good staff travel agreements, commuting works out quite well. Unlike in the PRC, the internet is unrestricted, so you can freely access youtube and google. Plenty of cafes and convenience stores around your accommodation, taxis are cheap, and the area is safe for walking (though filthy). There is even a mall about 15 minutes walk away, but don't expect it to be like in Dubai. Taiwanese people outside EVA are usually friendly, but mostly don't speak any English. They have their own culture and don't care much for yours.

If you do decide to come here for your personal reasons, fair enough. Things don't change much here, so life just drags on as you do your day-by-day routine. Therefore you must have some kind of personal goal ahead of you, or else you'll go into a personal crisis eventually. If you like the Far East, as you say: good. You're gonna get plenty of it.

vennnz
30th Mar 2024, 22:11
EVA is not good for long term, low salaries for the job you are doing, miserable CRM with cabin crews, they make themselves look "busy" with pax service and tell you to wait for your meal as if they are cooking it, only to put it in the microwave for 1 minute and then walking with the tray to the cockpit taking another minute and that's it, you won't get any additional food but any time you go back for a walk they are all eating passenger meals. there is 0 show of respect towards the flight crew and they could care less about sharing something with the pilots.

Now that I fly for another carrier somewhere else, i can tell that the food onboard was trashy, low quality, flavorless and greasy food, all dishes are Taiwanese style seasoning which is quite bad so after your first year you will not eat onboard because nothing is appetizing. Also the cabin crew interaction is awesome here, they serve us first, they always share food from the cabin, they seat and talk with us, a totally different atmosphere. Besides that, in EVA if you are not a captain, the captains, most of them will treat you as a 250 commercial pilot with 0 experience, i guess this comes from them flying with MPLs.

Eva is good for getting the type rating, living the long haul life for a while and commute if you live within their network. You train yourself in Eva and the IPs job is to check you are studying and doing things accordingly to their expectations, it is not like somebody is going to teach you, nope. It is not good if you have a family or plan to have one, because rents are high, they only cover part, school prices are even higher, it is not good for making money for retirement, unless you live the chinese way which is not eating during layovers and bringing 1$ instant noodles to save money for retirement.

we are a big group of pilots that left last year and this year there are more pilots leaving. even the taiwanese are looking for options in other carriers, that speaks loud of the bad work management is doing.

flyingpuff
17th Apr 2024, 13:50
is EVA still safe to fly as a passenger? I'm not a pilot but reading this thread the comments about punitive safety culture and low cockpit morale got me worried..I would be on a 777-300ER route too