PDA

View Full Version : Britain's Brightest Family?

GLIDER 90
7th Mar 2018, 21:09
Hello All

Having just watched Britain's Brightest Family and on other several occasions, I think I will give it a miss and carry on watching the other quiz programmes as the questions flash on and off to quick which does not give you time to work them out?

Glider 90

UniFoxOs
8th Mar 2018, 09:59
I seem to get all the answers within the allotted time, the "bright" families sometimes don't get the answers right at all. Me and my kid sister could have whipped the lot of then when we were early teenagers.

Trossie
8th Mar 2018, 12:37
... to quick ...

How does one 'quick'?

GLIDER 90
8th Mar 2018, 13:22
Trossie

Why not go on the programme?

Trossie
8th Mar 2018, 13:45
Why? Because I can identify the difference between an adjective and a verb?

Still trying to figure, how does someone quick?

Dan Dare
8th Mar 2018, 15:01
how does someone quick?

by not dying?

MFC_Fly
8th Mar 2018, 15:43
the questions flash on and off to quick
Where's that? Not sure I have been to Quick :ok:

UniFoxOs
8th Mar 2018, 16:09
Is it near Fastnet?

DaveReidUK
8th Mar 2018, 16:13
No, but it's close to Cedar Rapids.

Trossie
8th Mar 2018, 16:18
It's a little east of Oldham.

eckhard
8th Mar 2018, 17:10
What would be the affect of arming the auto-breaks during a decent to Quick?

Jetex_Jim
8th Mar 2018, 17:18
What would be the affect of arming the auto-breaks during a decent to Quick?

Don't you mean? What wood the effect of harming the auto-breaks during a decent to Quick.

GLIDER 90
8th Mar 2018, 18:11
MFC Fly

"No" because you are slow witted, like the rest on this thread not clever!!!!

Glider 90

DaveReidUK
8th Mar 2018, 18:59
This is all getting two silly.

Trossie
8th Mar 2018, 19:05
St Mary's and Tresco?

eckhard
8th Mar 2018, 19:41
Isle not bother to respond too that....

treadigraph
8th Mar 2018, 20:03
Hugh Town know what you are getting into if you go down that route...

ORAC
8th Mar 2018, 20:37
Sometimes I contemplate how little I know. Then I realise I know nothing at all, merely amassed a confused mass of facts and trivia...

If there is one thing I truly regret it is not having been born with enough mathematical ability to follow the science I originally wished - astrophysics. To perceive the wonder of the universe in a few equations on a sheet of paper....

sitigeltfel
9th Mar 2018, 07:30
If there is one thing I truly regret it is not having been born with enough mathematical ability to follow the science I originally wished - astrophysics. To perceive the wonder of the universe in a few equations on a sheet of paper....

Added content

Dan Dare
9th Mar 2018, 09:58
What do you get if you multiply six by nine

Trossie
9th Mar 2018, 12:24
Sometimes I contemplate how little I know. Then I realise I know nothing at all, merely amassed a confused mass of facts and trivia...

ORAC, Your first point is like the story of one of Socrates's pupils going to the oracle at Delphi to ask who the wisest man in the world is and gets the answer "Socrates". When Socrates hears this he refutes it and says that there are many that are wiser than him. He sets out to prove this by questioning as many wise men as he could (the well known situation where Socrates always answered a question with a question in his quest for knowledge and wisdom). He came to the conclusion that all the "wise" men thought that they knew everything and clearly didn't. As he recognised that he didn't know everything he was clearly wiser than them and therefore the oracle was probably correct.

On your second point, I will attempt to read a close family member's doctoral thesis on astrophysics one day. What is abundantly clear from a cursory glance at it is that it is not possible "To perceive the wonder of the universe in a few equations on a sheet of paper...." (To 'nit-pick', an ellipsis only has three dots! Your first paragraph was correct ...) All of that 'out there' goes well over my head (excuse the pun!).

treadigraph
9th Mar 2018, 12:41
Socrates always answered a question with a question in his quest for knowledge and wisdom

Very good friend of mine is like that, incredibly clever and a phenomenal ability to understand, retain and recall information on all manner of subjects; if you pick him up on something he rarely argues the point but wishes to understand what you know that he doesn't.

Krystal n chips
9th Mar 2018, 18:17
Very good friend of mine is like that, incredibly clever and a phenomenal ability to understand, retain and recall information on all manner of subjects; if you pick him up on something he rarely argues the point but wishes to understand what you know that he doesn't.

Ah, so he's another Guardian reader then !

Trossie
9th Mar 2018, 19:08
Hilarious!! Should be on the 'Jokes' Thread!

ORAC
9th Mar 2018, 19:39
More like the pontification and hubris of The Economist. Dear god, the arrogance of their TV ad - “the world needs another Economist reader”...

MFC_Fly
9th Mar 2018, 21:44
MFC Fly

"No" because you are slow witted, like the rest on this thread not clever!!!!

Glider 90

Says the person that needed time to work out those ridiculously easy questions :D

treadigraph
10th Mar 2018, 00:59
Nah, he's way too intelligent to subscribe to a comic. Shared a few pints tonight, reckon he'd get on quite well with VP959.

Loose rivets
10th Mar 2018, 12:04
. . . an ellipsis takes 7 key strokes . . . unless it is followed by, say, "

How would Victor Borge have made that sound?

Having said all this, cheap printing companies squash them back together again.:{

Yes, me too. Time again I'd concentrate on piano and writing. But for now, I spend many, many hours, sometimes until the dawn, on science forums struggling with concepts that mathematicians claim as their own.

I write on Quora in my own name - which is correct in my box left - and try to get someone to work through my inflow hypothesis. There are some kind and indeed, good, PhD's on there that devote a lot of time to what to them must be mundane questions.

The Quora database is structured on an odd kind of promotion system called Upvotes. This lifts the post to a place nearer the top.
One day, after the question of Why do captains start the right-hand engine first, several bright bods showed nice coloured pictures of hydraulic schematics and indeed the logic. I thought there's no point in repeating all that stuff and got up to my usual mischief. I thought it would be put in the bin, but no, someone in their towers must also have a silly sense of humour. Come to think of it, it's not hugely funny by PPRuNe standards, however.

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-engine-2-started-before-engine-1-on-A320s/answer/Rob-Benham-2?__nsrc__=4&__snid3__=2075818727

Huh, it shows links to several rather casual bits I've written, but does come eventually to one post, the subject of which I'm passionate about.

What are the merits of Loop Quantum Gravity theory relative to String Theory?

I accuse myself of cherry-picking bits of science to fit my proposals . . . but I won't be the first.

On your second point, I will attempt to read a close family member's doctoral thesis on astrophysics one day. What is abundantly clear from a cursory glance at it is that it is not possible "To perceive the wonder of the universe in a few equations on a sheet of paper...."

Slowly, slowly the more famous equations seem to make a certain sense, though I need some hand-holding to work through them. Which brings me the the charming young David Tong. He bases his talks on simple foundations while reaching out to really quite advanced concepts. Probably watch the one ending in Kmk. IIRC that has got the equation for the theory of everything . . . at least, it's hidden in there, if only we, that is they, could just figures out quite what it was saying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNVQfWC_evg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUMeKDlgKmk

ExRAFRadar
11th Mar 2018, 12:22
Surely the brightest family is the Nuclear family.....