PDA

View Full Version : Stansted....Security Stupidity.

Simplythebeast
7th Mar 2018, 12:05
A Passenger told she cant pass security with a gold necklace charm in the shape of a gun because it ďresembles a prohibited itemĒ and could be dangerous.
Stansted staff seize woman's gun-shaped necklace charm because it 'resembled a weapon' - Evening Standard
https://apple.news/AYo9U9oMWTeKWfXa09lHW6w

Staff said it was confiscated because it is an imitation firearm.......really?

Highway1
7th Mar 2018, 12:25
ďThe lack of common sense displayed at Stansted was astounding,"

All to common for those working at airports in the UK. I was once going through staff security in London and the guy in front of me was told to take his shoes off and put them through the scanner - he was the Captain on the flight to Newark leaving in 2 hours.

Blues&twos
7th Mar 2018, 12:52
Using the Stansted logic, a pair of shoes could resemble two shoe-bombs.

connoisseur
7th Mar 2018, 13:02
The mother of three was searched by a female police officer who saw her necklace and said...... you poor dears; unable to have a go at security staff, what will you do now?

Oh of course, it was a female officer so in true DM style you can blame it on gender lol

Tom Cundall
7th Mar 2018, 13:55
All to common for those working at airports in the UK. I was once going through staff security in London and the guy in front of me was told to take his shoes off and put them through the scanner - he was the Captain on the flight to Newark leaving in 2 hours.

Doesn't just about every crew member in the UK do that anyway, or is it just me?

Tom Cundall
7th Mar 2018, 14:07
Interestingly, Low fat Yogurt has a specific density of 1.04g per cubic centimetre so you can carry 103g of yogurt without breaching the 100ml limit. I guess it just depends on how long you want to delay your departure whilst arguing with Security.

Also 102.8g of Milk and 104.8 g of Campbells Tomato soup.

(Sorry, bored at work)

Carry0nLuggage
7th Mar 2018, 14:09
1.11g of heavy water too :E

B Fraser
7th Mar 2018, 14:16
A crucifix was an implement of execution so having one on a chain around your neck must surely be treated the same way as a tiny gun.

Just don't tell Stansted security.

Tom Cundall
7th Mar 2018, 14:30
How do Sikhs get along with their whatchamacallit daggers?

[Quick Google]

The kirpan (/kɪərˈpɑːn/; Punjabi: ਕਿਰਪਾਨ kirpān) is a sword or knife carried by Sikhs.[1][2] It is a religious commandment given by Guru Gobind Singh in 1699, that Sikhs must wear five articles of faith at all times, the kirpan being one of five Ks.[3][4]

Jhieminga
7th Mar 2018, 14:31
I guess you can argue whether 'resemblance' is present if an object is on a miniscule scale. A Corgi die-cast Mini Cooper certainly resembles a full size Mini Cooper, but I still wouldn't try to get in one and attempt to drive it to work.

galaxy flyer
7th Mar 2018, 14:54
I had a business visit to Glock in Austria, aviation-related, not gun, in trading minor gifts received a key ring with a model Glock pistol. Removed by the TSA from my bag where it showed on the x-ray. Unbelievable!

gf

oxenos
7th Mar 2018, 15:06
St. Ansted - the patron saint of w*nkers.

radeng
7th Mar 2018, 15:09
Another case of the old saying - "Pay peanuts, get monkeys"

UniFoxOs
7th Mar 2018, 15:17
Des anybody know where I can get a frozen turd in the shape of a gun that will defrost itself half an hour after I have unwrapped it for security inspection and had it confiscated?

radeng
7th Mar 2018, 15:22
The other year, a holder of the Medal of Honor was stopped from carrying it on an aircraft - on his way to the White House, IIRC.

Carry0nLuggage
7th Mar 2018, 15:54
UniFoxOscar: Why not make your own? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fred-FREEZE-Gun-Cube-Tray/dp/B003YUBQKG :E

FLCH
7th Mar 2018, 15:56
Guns N’ Roses T-shirts were a security problem at BHX a few years ago, apparently just the image of a gun is enough to set off concerns at the metal detector.

Lantern10
7th Mar 2018, 19:57
Obviously security personnel with brains must cost too much.

stagger
7th Mar 2018, 20:08
Interestingly, Low fat Yogurt has a specific density of 1.04g per cubic centimetre so you can carry 103g of yogurt without breaching the 100ml limit. I guess it just depends on how long you want to delay your departure whilst arguing with Security.

Also 102.8g of Milk and 104.8 g of Campbells Tomato soup.

(Sorry, bored at work)

Or 1.73 kg of molten gold :p

RAT 5
7th Mar 2018, 20:22
A Passenger told she cant pass security with a gold necklace charm in the shape of a gun because it “resembles a prohibited item”

But you can carry a penknife with a blade shorter than the short side of a credit card. Go figure. It is a real knife, not imitation.
I'd love to have a chocolate gun shape, the size of a mars bar, and then be forced to eat it.

Whatever happened to supervisors? STN does have a complaints system at security. Use it.

pulse1
7th Mar 2018, 20:22
Soon after 9/11 the security at Stuttgart Airport weren't happy with my nail clippers. I gave them permission to break off the little nail file, leaving two small but jagged bits, and they were then happy to let me carry it aboard. What they thought I could do with a tiny nail file which was on a swivel I cannot imagine. With it broken off, I could probably have jabbed someone with the jagged bits and hurt them a little.

ExSp33db1rd
7th Mar 2018, 21:12

and then he occupied a seat with an adjacent emergency escape fire-axe freely available to himself and any cabin crew member with access to the flight deck, and a meal with dangerous cutlery, and was in charge of a multi million pound flying bomb.

Idiots are not confined to Stansted.

World's Gone Mad.

Doesn't just about every crew member in the UK do that anyway, or is it just me?

Don't worry, once past the age of 75 this is not necessary leaving the USA. ( but not all TSA staff know that, despite a large notice before their, and your, eyes.) Pointing this out to one overweight, dark-skinned, female agent one day, she told me that only applied to internal domestic flights, ( wrong ) and I was travelling internationally, I felt like pointing out that that must mean that I couldn't "shoe bomb" an international flight, but that it was OK to attack a domestic one then ? I decided to keep my mouth shut, otherwise I might still be in Guantanamo Bay ?

Gertrude the Wombat
7th Mar 2018, 21:22
They have, after many years, learned one thing, though.

They used to ask me to take my belt off and then, when the machine still bleeped at me (it almost always does) hold both arms out. Which naturally I refused to do, as this would result in my trousers falling down - WTF did they think I was wearing a belt for in the first place?

The last couple of times though they seemed to understand that people wear belts for a reason, and only asked that one arm is held out at a time.

Loose rivets
7th Mar 2018, 21:33
Long before 911, I had a pair of gun cuff-links. They made an unbelievable bang which was expelled out of the in-line barrel. I thought a gramophone needle might just fit in the bore but never quite got around to trying it.

I recall the cartridges in a medical type capsule but not the scrolling.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=gun+cufflinks+that+fire&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=y7wwQtM5ijOj9M%253A%252CLHXWBs31V15h2M%252C_&usg=__QN9wjhx2ZhTb5QWUf8QtqkURdxc%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiSvq6UodvZAhUOM8AKHfmJDZcQ9QEIKzAA#imgrc=y7wwQtM5 ijOj9M:

cargosales
7th Mar 2018, 23:52
Not long after 9/11 I was visiting an airport in the US on business ..

The airport Director was a lovely guy who extended every courtesy (even took me to lunch to hear a talk from the guy involved in Blackhawk Down).

But he was most apologetic about the airport security people, saying

"A few weeks ago we had a bunch of semi-trained idiots doing our security, although they were under our control so we could get any moronic decisions reversed / sorted out pronto...

"Now after 9/11 we've got the exact same bunch of semi-trained idiots doing our security, except they are no longer under our control."

Worse still was actually seeing these morons, with their new-found standing and sense of worth, in action. Clowns that you couldn't reason, let alone argue, with.

To add icing to the cake they had the National Guard there too - carrying M-16s = ooh, scary.. Err except their weapons were on a sling over their shoulders, muzzle down and could certainly not have been brought to bear on a terrorist in the split seconds they might have.. Doh !!

uffington sb
8th Mar 2018, 03:48
Remember this one? Sorry itís from th DM.

Airport bans toy soldier's three-inch rifle from plane... because it's a safety threat | Daily Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1351037/Airport-bans-toy-soldiers-inch-rifle-plane--safety-threat.html)

Pontius Navigator
8th Mar 2018, 07:24
Years ago, when James Bond was young, I had a pair of JB cuff links which were gold plated bullets.

Luckily I lost them years ago.

Sir Niall Dementia
8th Mar 2018, 08:55

Tom Cundall (Brilliant name, by the way, I wonder if many on here know where it's from) Its' not just you, I'm sick to death of it. And as for the TSA in Miami.....Don't get me started!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

SND

Curious Pax
8th Mar 2018, 09:07
Pointing this out to one overweight, dark-skinned, female agent one day, she told me that only applied to internal domestic flights, ( wrong ) and I was travelling internationally, I felt like pointing out that that must mean that I couldn't "shoe bomb" an international flight, but that it was OK to attack a domestic one then ? I decided to keep my mouth shut, otherwise I might still be in Guantanamo Bay ?

I donít disagree one jot with your view on the idiocy of the agent (even though itís more than likely she was only following instructions from on high, with the sack the inevitable consequence of not so doing). However may I ask what the weight, colour and sex of the agent has to do with it? It sounds like they were committing 4 crimes in your eyes - not only was she an idiot, but she was a fat black woman too. How much worse could it get?

Sir Niall Dementia
8th Mar 2018, 09:43
I donít disagree one jot with your view on the idiocy of the agent (even though itís more than likely she was only following instructions from on high, with the sack the inevitable consequence of not so doing). However may I ask what the weight, colour and sex of the agent has to do with it? It sounds like they were committing 4 crimes in your eyes - not only was she an idiot, but she was a fat black woman too. How much worse could it get?

One legged, and a lesbian...........................Hat, coat, Taxi!:E:E

SND

obgraham
8th Mar 2018, 10:01
I’ve just this minute passed through Heathrow Terminal 3 security. Where I note that about 70% of the staff are of south Asian or sandbox extraction.

Who was it who has been causing trouble these last two decades?

radeng
8th Mar 2018, 14:04
Back when they first had National Guard soldiers at airports, three of them, all togged up in full kit, deployed for airport security and carrying their rifles, were told that they had to put them and ammunition in their pouches through the Xray machine - that was at O'Hare!

DaveReidUK
8th Mar 2018, 15:19
Iíve just this minute passed through Heathrow Terminal 3 security. Where I note that about 70% of the staff are of south Asian or sandbox extraction.

Your point being ... ?

Gertrude the Wombat
8th Mar 2018, 19:24
White fascists, recently.

Pontius Navigator
8th Mar 2018, 19:46
DR, obvious really and I find the same in passport control.

GLIDER 90
8th Mar 2018, 20:20
Regarding the stupidity of some airport security staff, some years ago I read of a case in the UK of a unwitting passenger who at the airport was asked by the security staff laughing what have you got in their then a bomb? the passenger laughed along with this. The next minute he was hauled off for lengthy questioning.

Alsacienne
8th Mar 2018, 21:13
A 1lb pork pie had to undergo secondary screening recently at LGW. DH said the added swabbing did not affect the taste.

Highway1
8th Mar 2018, 21:44
I watched a good stand up row at Gatwick - a female engineer was taking her lunch through the staff security channel when she was told she couldn't take through the pot of yogurt through that she had just bought in the shop in the terminal, apparently the limit is 100ml and pots of yogurt come in 125ml. Anyway after 5 minutes of back and forth she was also told she couldn't take her packet of crisps through either if they were unopened. So the girl, totally steaming by now, ripped open the crisp packet with such force the contents flew everywhere - and then calmly walked through the scanner to work.

I had a similar disagreement with a cup of coffee from Costas - apparently a grande caramel cappuchino in a paper cup is verboten. I even offered to stick it through the x-ray machine but to no avail...

ExSp33db1rd
8th Mar 2018, 22:01
as this would result in my trousers falling down - WTF did they think I was wearing a belt for in the first place?

I have long worn a totally fabric belt, no metal within a 100 miles, and usually managed to keep it on, but recently was refused, so shuffled through with my trousers around my ankles. I should care. Mrs ExS disowned me !

even though it’s more than likely she was only following instructions from on high, with the sack the inevitable consequence of not so doing

No, she was in front of a large notice with no mention of destination, and I subsequently reported her to a supervisor who agreed that she was wrong and would "educate" her.

.....not only was she an idiot, but she was a fat black woman too. How much worse could it get?

Not a lot ! Racist ? Moi ?

krismiler
8th Mar 2018, 22:29
I wore a short sleeve shirt unbuttoned and not tucked in, with a tee shirt underneath and was told I needed to remove it and put it through the x-ray machine as it was a jacket.

I did up the buttons, tucked it in and was okay to walk through the scanner like that as it was now a shirt rather than a jacket.

Some airport security screeners lack the intelligence and social skills to put wheel clamps on cars.

ExSp33db1rd
8th Mar 2018, 23:24
Before this madness following 911, I flew with a skipper who reckoned he was always going to carry his own bomb in his baggage -'cos ..... he reckoned that there was no recorded instance of terrorisim where there had been two bombs on an aircraft !

CYTN
9th Mar 2018, 02:41
I got my steak pie confiscated at Edinburgh . Reason - " too much gravy"

wowzz
9th Mar 2018, 06:40
Before this madness following 911, I flew with a skipper who reckoned he was always going to carry his own bomb in his baggage -'cos ..... he reckoned that there was no recorded instance of terrorisim where there had been two bombs on an aircraft !

The same logic as Baldrick, who carried around a bullet with his name scratched on it.

Ogre
9th Mar 2018, 08:15
If you're having a dispute with airport security at a German airport, you don't get upset and insinuate they are related to their 1930's counterparts...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2018/01/26/german-police-sue-american-woman-slander-calling-them-nazis/1068397001/

chopper2004
9th Mar 2018, 09:45
If you're having a dispute with airport security at a German airport, you don't get upset and insinuate they are related to their 1930's counterparts...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2018/01/26/german-police-sue-american-woman-slander-calling-them-nazis/1068397001/

And if you are Sir Mo

Sir Mo Farah stands by claim he was racially harassed at Munich airport by German police | The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/athletics/sir-mo-farah-stands-by-claim-racially-harassed-abused-munich-airport-a8245761.html)

cheers

pulse1
9th Mar 2018, 09:57
While my son was studying physics at university he got a holiday job working in security at a ferry terminal. To relieve the monotony he found that it was normal practice to play games on the passengers and, being considerably brighter than any of his colleagues, he developed something of a hero status as he introduced much bolder games.

On one occasion he bet his colleagues that he could get a passenger to stand on one leg and recite "Ring a Ring a Rosy". So he wrote out the words on a card and waited until a gullible looking passenger appeared and, apologising profusely, he exclaimed that they were obliged to check passengers for sobriety. "Please could you stand on one leg and read the words on the card". He was so polite and apologetic, not his normal style by any means, that this carefully selected passenger meekly obliged to the amazement of his colleagues.

Clop_Clop
9th Mar 2018, 13:59
If there is not even a hint of a compelling case what you need to hand over it may require enormous effort and self control not to get upset. Sometimes it's not going to be enough. Especially if there is frustration or contempt built up over the last days or weeks prior. The hastily brewed up concoct of emotion simply boiling over tipping you over the edge. The only way out then it trying to make a case that's usually impossible to win there and then which adds to the difficulty of the situation. :)

Flying Torquewrench
9th Mar 2018, 16:22
Been flying out of Central/Eastern Europe since my previous company went bust. The crew security operates with a lit more common sense then in Western Europe. It is absolutely no problem to take a thermos through security filled with 1 or 2 litres of hot water/tea/coffee/ soup etc. Several colleagues bring their hot food in a thermos as we havenít got any ovens on board.

At least there they understand that we are just doing our job and they use common sense. And as they are part of Europe and operating under EASA it canít be blamed on Europe. It is purely the DfT which is so bloody backwards.

cargosales
9th Mar 2018, 19:49
As quoted in one of his writings somewhere by Jeremy Clarkson:

[after doing a film shoot in the US] ... "we pulled up in the crew van outside the terminal so we could offload all the camera gear" and promptly got told by a plod that we couldn't 'because it was against the law'.

Clarkson & co pleaded that sheer common sense said it should be ok for a couple of minutes while they got their gear out, and he could watch .. but the officer's response was something like ...

"Sir, you have to move the vehicle now ... when we've got laws we don't need to use common sense"

:ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

Zeus
9th Mar 2018, 20:05
I stood behind an armed officer in the staff line at a large UK airport and watched with fascination as he was given the full treatment.
When we were out of earshot I broached the subject. With a large smile on his face he said "heaven forbid they should find I had a yoghurt in my possession!"

ExSp33db1rd
9th Mar 2018, 22:11
.....an armed officer in the staff line

pre- 911 even, a colleague in the middle of the crew security check at the old Hong Kong Kai Tak airport, which was in a room apart from the public, was interrupted as a squad of 6 Commandos arrived en route to some dispute airside.

Each soldier carried an AK-47, bayonet, bandoliers of bullets around their shoulders, grenades on their belts etc, the Full Monty and was made to stand on the little stool as the security agent waved the then Magic Wand around each one. The wand went ballistic at all the metallic weapons being carried, but each soldier was then nodded through.

My colleague then said ... 'What exactly were you looking for' ?

No answer.

cargosales
9th Mar 2018, 23:24
I seem to recall that a British passport holder was 'taken out of line and given the full treatment' for hours by TSA immigration staff in the US, based purely on the colour of his skin. Because they didn't /couldn't have known anything about him or who he was as they hadn't spoken to him or identified him before pulling him out of that line.

And thanks to them Lance Sergeant Johnson Gideon Beharry, VC, CNG didn't make it to the Veterans Reunion that he'd been invited to....

krismiler
9th Mar 2018, 23:44
I have also seen armed security place their revolvers on the belt to be x-rayed.

WingNut60
9th Mar 2018, 23:45
...........for hours by TSA immigration staff in the US, based purely on the colour of his skin.....

While I genuinely empathise with the gentleman not reaching his appointment, what you have said above is pure assumption.
You may be right; or you could just as easily be wrong.

In fact, such a strident accusation smacks of racism in itself.

WingNut60
9th Mar 2018, 23:58
I have also seen armed security place their revolvers on the belt to be x-rayed.

I'd have thought that poses a security risk in itself - loaded firearm no longer in possession of authorised holder!

What happens when it comes out the other side and you're still being searched with a wand?

FLCH
10th Mar 2018, 00:15
[QUOTE=cargosales;10078769]I seem to recall that a British passport holder was 'taken out of line and given the full treatment' for hours by TSA immigration staff in the US, based purely on the colour of his skin./QUOTE]

I thought it was because he had an Iraqi stamp on his passport ?

Being taken out solely based on the color of your skin would play havoc when any international carrier from Africa Asia etc blocked in to a US port donít you think ?

Ogre
10th Mar 2018, 00:21
I seem to recall a story from someone who had been transiting through Moscow airport many years ago. In those days the metal detector hoops were new things and people hadn't got into the habit of removing all metallic objects from their person.

The groups of travellers in question had been forced to walk from the drop off point to the terminal in heavy rain, so they were all wet from the experience. The first person went through the loop and set it off, so a quick check of pockets etc was made before being sent back through the loop for another go. This time the loop went off again, so after another search they went back for a third go.

When the loop went off a third time a very English voice from the rear of the queue was loudly heard to exclaim "Good god, is he still not dry yet...!"

IcePaq
10th Mar 2018, 00:49
On 9/10/01, I was pulled aside and they searched my luggage while departing.............which is understandable since I was departing from detroit.

On the same day, mom flew home from her post at the us embassy in egypt without any problems.

llondel
10th Mar 2018, 03:41
"Sir, you have to move the vehicle now ... when we've got laws we don't need to use common sense"

I'd be sorely tempted to use a line like that on him too.

ExSp33db1rd
10th Mar 2018, 07:08
I wear a permanent Bowel / Colostomy Bag, and it has been suggested that such a device has been used to smuggle diamonds, or drugs ? I'm tempted to insert some innocuous metallic object and then have the pleasure of watching some TSA agent search through it !

I'd enjoy that.

Pontius Navigator
10th Mar 2018, 07:08
A friend, a regular traveller to US, was asked why he had a plaster on a finger.

Cut myself he said?

Not a smile.

Or Tampa cruise arrival. Walk along quay. Open vehicle gate at end, passengers wandering back from Stateside unchecked. Passengers entering had to go through shed on right. As the queue was long a fair number wandered through the exit and only immigrated later.

Geezers of Nazareth
10th Mar 2018, 14:18
You know when you go through Security and they insist you put liquids/gels/pastes/etc in a small plastic bag.

So I do.

And on the other side of the magic doorway when I collect my bag, I empty the plastic bag bag into my carry-on bag, and make a big effort to give them their small plastic bag !

They look nonplussed. I explain that I don't need it any more, as the items have been re-distributed back across my carry-on and/or jacket. I don't have single space big enough for all the items, but when not in the plastic bag, one goes here, one goes over there, one goes inside that pocket, etc.
They usually tell me that the items have to remain in the bag 'for security checks', so I ask them where the next security check point is, and why they don't have plastic bags there? Never got an answer!

goudie
10th Mar 2018, 18:03
I have an artificial right knee. When I set the alarm off, I’m invariably asked ‘knees or hips sir’? I reply ‘knee’. I still have to go through a thorough pat down. Not a bad thing I suppose.
Once in LAX a huge security gentleman said ‘do you have any objection to me touching you in your genital area sir?’ ‘No’ I weakly replied. Amused my travel companions.

RAT 5
10th Mar 2018, 19:42
The 100ml per item up to 1ltr. in single bag, rather than a single 1ltr has always confused me. Given that previous bombers have acted with accomplices they would pool their 100ml's anyway.
I thought there was a move to remove this restrictions. What's happened about that?

Gertrude the Wombat
10th Mar 2018, 19:55
The 100ml per item up to 1ltr. in single bag, rather than a single 1ltr has always confused me. Given that previous bombers have acted with accomplices they would pool their 100ml's anyway.
And there was that El Reg article which appeared to do an analysis which showed that there wasn't a threat fro liquids anyway, to which I've not seen any sort of refutation.

radeng
10th Mar 2018, 20:22
Not security, but a few years ago, I was travelling to the US on a Wednesday to the big annual Ham radio event at Dayton. I get to immigration at Chicago O'Hare and the conversation goes like this:

'How long are you going to be in the US?'

'Until Monday night'

'That's not long for a vacation. Where are you going?'

'I'm going to the big Ham radio event at Dayton this weekend'.

'Are you a radio ham?'

'Yes'

'What is your callsign?'

G3***'

Goes to stamp passport, stops with stamp in mid air

'Didn't you have an article in *** ( a US ham radio magazine) the other month?'

'Yes'. Stamps passport, says have "have a good time at Dayton and 73" (telegraphic code for 'Best wishes'!)

ExSp33db1rd
10th Mar 2018, 21:21
I get to immigration at Chicago O'Hare and the conversation goes like this:

I got to LAX in the days when I still had a valid Visa, was photographed and fingerprinted and then ... are you the Mr. XXX XXXX who first entered the USA on XXX 1959 as crew member of G-XXXX operating service number XXX from London to New York ? He had every entry I had ever made in my airline career on his computer, and meanwhile a colleague was more or less nodding people through. " Why are you interrogating me in this fashion, and yet not those others "? Oh, they're on a visa waiver experiment ( now formulated as the present ESTA system ) but you have a visa ! ( which means that they knew all about me anyway ! )

World's Gone Mad.

Pontius Navigator
11th Mar 2018, 08:48
OTOH I love puddle jumper airports.

Through sheer ineptitude I was late for a flight from Inverness. Wife rang ahead for me and I arrived with about 5 minutes to doors closed. As I rushed in to the terminal the staff all waved me down, told me to relax, and led me too the aircraft (DanAir). Another carried my 'luggage' a puppy in a cage.

At Norwich, I spent time chatting with one of security, an ex-Nimrod Flt Eng O ex-206. Come boarding he did a magic hands trick as other pax might wonder why I wasn't searched.

And at Humberside security found a little penknife that Mrs PN had lost. They put it in an envelope and she reclaimed it on return.

And Gatwick even, I left a black PDA and $250, in a black wallet in the black security tray. I got it all back on return to UK.

Pontius Navigator
11th Mar 2018, 08:50
ExSpd,I recounted once before, a friend entering Russia for the first time :) was greeted with "Welcome back Mr Bond".

topradio
11th Mar 2018, 09:01
So, if she had a tattoo of a gun on her arm (or anywhere else) could that have caused problems for the security staff. They might argue that it could be peeled off and fired like you see in cartoons sometimes.

ehwatezedoing
11th Mar 2018, 18:34
A friend of mine got "patted" all the way down to his sandals one time by TSA in the States.
Can't remember the location, just that it was a warm place.

Because he was wearing shorts :confused:

Zeus
11th Mar 2018, 19:16
I won't mention the time I got "patted down" by a female security agent in (redacted).
"Where I come from this would be illegal" I said.
"Don't see you complaining!" she smiled back.

Pontius Navigator
11th Mar 2018, 20:15
Zeus, Andy a female PC in Barbados at the cruise terminal; she was bigger than me.

Its Maui
11th Mar 2018, 20:30
I invariably wear short sleeved shirts under my uniform jacket. Once jacket is removed and placed in a tray my arms are bare below the elbow. Without fail; if I ding the arch the pat down includes running both hands down my arm starting at the armpit to the wrist...

cargosales
11th Mar 2018, 23:14
In the days of the bird flu epidemic ...

Mate of ours used to go to the States a lot on business, usually Texas, and said he'd never been subjected to the 'US citizens go to the left please and everyone else go the right please and walk through this bath of disinfectant' routine [err, you've all just been walking on the same floors, the same aircraft aisle etc etc etc :ugh: ] simply because of how he dressed... and went right on through with all of the US citizens to avoid spoiling his foorwear..

Going to Texas he always wore a business suit, an open neck shirt but with some of those dangly bootlace things at the collar, cowboy boots and a 'ten gallon' hat.

He never had a problem at security or got hassled by anyone because 'he looked the part'

Go figure..... :ooh:

ExSp33db1rd
12th Mar 2018, 00:42
'US citizens go to the left ..........

Not a US Citizen, but Mrs ExS is, so I just go along with her, to avoid her having to wait for me behind 10 million non-US folk in the other line. "They" have always accepted that we are together, even tho' she still travels on a passport in her maiden name.