View Full Version : John Cunningham

Aircam
22nd Jul 2002, 11:14
I don't know if it has been generally reported yet, but I was told this morning that the legendary test pilot John Cunningham passed away yesterday.
I know no more details yet. John was a legendary pilot and a true gentleman, and his passing will be mourned by those involved in aviation worldwide.

akerosid
22nd Jul 2002, 11:30
Very sad news, even though he must have been a grand old age.

He was certainly one of the legendary figures of British aviation, most notably as the chief Comet test pilot.

Condolences to his family and friends.

Mr_Grubby
22nd Jul 2002, 19:56
I hope this is not true.

I am half way through reading his biography by John Golley,(another hero).

We have so much to thank these guys for.

Mr G

HissingSid
23rd Jul 2002, 17:19
See todays Times 23-07-02 for his obituary.
A legend in aviation history and a truly gentle man.
Sadly the great names in aviation history are slipping away and we will not see their like again.

SevenSeas
23rd Jul 2002, 20:50
So sad to see another great man go the hangar in the sky, I met him once when I was first at BOAC and he was crew training with UAA on the Comet 4's, he had time to speak to everyone. I have his autograph in a "de Havilland" book, this I shall now treasure.

Goodbye John - gone but not forgotten.

tiger burn
23rd Jul 2002, 21:12
Golly, I feel so ignorant having not seen a paper all day.
It was always such a proud moment when John Cunningham raised the de Havilland Standard to open the annual Moth Club fly in held at Woburn. He will be greatly missed.

I once accosted the poor chap at an Air League bash, a bit like a cheeky school girl in awe of her hero. He was ever the gentleman & certainly had a twinkle in his eye.

RIP Cats Eyes.

tb

HissingSid
1st Aug 2002, 21:02
Last Post
Attending his furneral at Harpenden on Tuesday last(30/07/02) I was impressed that, amongst the 500+ mourners, the majority were local people.
I think that ,that speaks volumes for the stature of the man.
I remember his contribution to aviation,and his kindness to those of us who benefited from his influence.
Viva DH 106. His enduring memorial.

With respect, Sid.

And how about a Blenhim fly-pass for your departure?