PDA

View Full Version : Personalised number plates (UK)

CAP A330
6th Mar 2018, 21:11
Is A330 CAP too obnoxious? It is perfect as it matches the older style plates!

B777 CAP etc etc.

So many options people have to choose from. I've never seen one prowling around airports with it though.

Gertrude the Wombat
6th Mar 2018, 21:12
Any personalised number plate makes you look as obnoxious as driving a BMW, surely?

CAP A330
6th Mar 2018, 21:15
Any personalised number plate makes you look as obnoxious as driving a BMW, surely?

A BMW driver flashed to let me out, and promptly began tailgating me. Strange lot.

stagger
6th Mar 2018, 21:32
It seems the registration A330 CAP has a glamorous history and long association with French engineering - it used to adorn a 1983 Peugeot 305...

https://www.regit.cars/car/a330cap

Smeagol
6th Mar 2018, 21:33
Gertrude

You appear to have a chip on both shoulders, scathing dislike of both personalised number plates and BMWs.

Shame, I thought we might become friends:{:{...but I have a personalised plate and the wife has a BMW, with a personalised plate ( I have a Mercedes):(:(

vapilot2004
6th Mar 2018, 21:36
Was BUSDRVR already taken? ;)

I'll get me hat, coat...

VP959
6th Mar 2018, 21:42

Why?

I was given (free of charge) a plate with my initials on it over 20 years ago. At the time I was driving older cars, and having the plate was a way of hiding the fact that the car was older than it looked. OK, that was a bit vain, but then for the past 12 years it's been on a succession of new Toyota Prius's, so the "hide the age" thing is of no significance now.

Anything less like a BMW than a Prius would be pretty damned hard to find..............

Finally, I'm now of an age where not having to learn a new number plate whenever I change car is probably the most useful attribute of the plate, as well as never having to change the portable light bar and plate that fits over my bike rack whenever I change cars.

MFC_Fly
6th Mar 2018, 21:45
( I have a Mercedes)
Why did we need to know that? Just to prove Gertrudes point maybe? :rolleyes:

Fareastdriver
6th Mar 2018, 21:45
I had a 2002 Hyundai Sonata that I bought in 2004. I put a personal plate on it about a year later. It served me well but as we got older we both needed a bit of attention so the familiarity between us was quite personal.

Came the time where it was some electronic gizmo that the code reader couldn't identify so I decided to call it a day. After nearly fourteen years together that should have torn the heartstrings a little bit.

It didn't, because I went on the internet to DLVR and deregistered it and then put it's old number plates on. It didn't belong to me anymore so when the breakers came along to take it away it didn't effect me at all.

The next car will have my name on again.

Probably another 80.

Gertrude the Wombat
6th Mar 2018, 22:09
Finally, I'm now of an age where not having to learn a new number plate whenever I change car is probably the most useful attribute of the plate, as well as never having to change the portable light bar and plate that fits over my bike rack whenever I change cars.
Ah, now that I can understand - even though it is only once every fifteen years or so it is getting increasingly harder to be bothered to try to learn a new number plate. Good point - when I get a new car maybe I'll keep the (non-personalised, but memorised) number of the current one, and, as you say, not have to get a new plate for the bike rack either.

G-CPTN
6th Mar 2018, 22:25
Is A330 CAP too obnoxious?
B777 CAP etc etc.

A330 CAP is currently on a 1983 blue Peugeot 1905cc diesel (possibly a 205 GTi or CTi) that has been untaxed since 1st September 1999.

edited to add:- I see that someone has determined the model to be a 305, not a 205 (an excellent model - I had one for ten years).

B777 CAP is not in the DVLA database, suggesting that the vehicle has been scrapped or the registration was never issued (though it might be on a retention certificate).

exeng
6th Mar 2018, 23:46
Personalised number plates.

Utter vanity. Please consider donating the money that you might spend on such vanity on causes that you think worthwhile.

I believe that most of the UK population follow a car such as those with such plates and think to themselves "what a ****".

Sad people you are.

Exeng

superq7
7th Mar 2018, 00:33
Personalised number plates.

Utter vanity. Please consider donating the money that you might spend on such vanity on causes that you think worthwhile.

I believe that most of the UK population follow a car such as those with such plates and think to themselves "what a ****".

Sad people you are.

Exeng

The most self righteous post I have ever read.

ShyTorque
7th Mar 2018, 01:06
I agree. My father in law unexpectedly died and my mother in law kept the number plate that had been on his old car for years and put it on her small hatchback, in his memory. I took responsibility for servicing her car and getting it through its annual MOT test, as it became obvious that she was being ripped off by her local garage. Some years later, she was forced to give up driving as she approached the age of 90 and very generously gave that car to my daughter, who had recently passed her driving test, as much as anything out of gratitude to me. The one condition of the transaction was that she requested the plate was not sold if and when that car was moved on. Now, I own a very unusual little car, that I built from a bare chassis almost twenty years ago. That car will not be sold out of the family and the family decision was that the plate (three letters, three numbers) would be more appropriate thereupon. Mother in law very happy about this. It is/was a personalised plate, but not relevant to me in person.

But in the eyes of some, owning the right to display the plate makes me some sort of social pariah... Says more about them, I'd say.

Hydromet
7th Mar 2018, 01:30
I make no comment on whether people should or shouldn't buy personalised plates - that's their business. However, I'm astounded by how much people will pay for them. A few years ago the car with NSW rego 2 sold for over a million dollars. (You can only transfer the plates with the car in NSW).
The father of a friend, who according to her has always been lucky, and was already quite wealthy, inherited the car with the NSW rego number 1. He lived in Queensland, and could only have the car registered in his name if he lived in NSW, but as luck would have it, he was already looking to move to NSW, and shortly after being advised of his inheritance, a developer approached him on spec and made a satisfactory offer to buy his Gold Coast acreage.
I met him once, and he seemed a very nice bloke. I believe he made his own luck.

I understand that the registration had once belonged to the first chairman of Trans Australia Airlines.

gupta
7th Mar 2018, 04:05
(You can only transfer the plates with the car in NSW)

Not totally correct; My son's car was registered in my name (for insurance reasons) up until last year, when it was written off (third party fully at fault).
We retrieved the plates from the wreck & surrendered them to be held pending a new vehicle arriving. A few months later there was no issue transferring the plates to the new vehicle, registered in his own name (now he's old enough)

Krystal n chips
7th Mar 2018, 06:25
I agree. My father in law unexpectedly died and my mother in law kept the number plate that had been on his old car for years and put it on her small hatchback, in his memory. I took responsibility for servicing her car and getting it through its annual MOT test, as it became obvious that she was being ripped off by her local garage. Some years later, she was forced to give up driving as she approached the age of 90 and very generously gave that car to my daughter, who had recently passed her driving test, as much as anything out of gratitude to me. The one condition of the transaction was that she requested the plate was not sold if and when that car was moved on. Now, I own a very unusual little car, that I built from a bare chassis almost twenty years ago. That car will not be sold out of the family and the family decision was that the plate (three letters, three numbers) would be more appropriate thereupon. Mother in law very happy about this. It is/was a personalised plate, but not relevant to me in person.

But in the eyes of some, owning the right to display the plate makes me some sort of social pariah... Says more about them, I'd say.

Not so.

Whilst people would be unaware of the sentimental reasons for carrying a cherished plate reg, there's no comparison between those who do and those so accurately defined in the post by exeng and GTW.

The personalised plate can also backfire on the innocent as well.

When I was driving for a living for a while, the owner of one company had his vehicles "personalised ". As we know, it's one of those great British legal quirks which says the driver is responsible for the vehicle, even if they don't own it. Thus driving along one day and GMP's "finest" arrives with lights and noise. Asked the usual question about why I was stopped, and I really hadn't a clue, our "hero" duly gloats at the plate and points to the spacing.

No other reason for stopping me.

There is a back story here though. The son of the owner was a Subaru driver, and he and the officer in question, had a long standing "Smokey and the Bandit " mutual disdain. Plus, it turned out, our "hero" was noted for being more than zealous, even inspecting his own colleagues cars at work and stopping them on the road.....saves on Christmas cards I suppose, thus when I produced my documents at the local nick, the officer behind the counter asked what happened, took one look at his number on the paperwork, and groaned before shredding the paperwork in front of me.

Amazing though to learn that, with the acute attention to detail so often displayed, remembering something as simplistic as a car registration can prove to be so complex.

Pontius Navigator
7th Mar 2018, 07:42
Many years ago the ADC to AOC 1 GP spotted a number up for sale. It was either AOC 1 or RAF 1. He bought it and offered it to his boss. I don't think it was accepted and I don't remember if said ADC went far either.

sitigeltfel
7th Mar 2018, 07:53
Many years ago the ADC to AOC 1 GP spotted a number up for sale. It was either AOC 1 or RAF 1. He bought it and offered it to his boss. I don't think it was accepted and I don't remember if said ADC went far either.
While I was at Bawtry, during IRA activity, efforts were made to disguise the AOCs official car by swapping number plates occasionally. You didn't have to be an Einstein to work out that the shiny black Granada with a pennant carrier cruising around Lincolnshire had someone of importance in the back seat.

G-CPTN
7th Mar 2018, 07:57

RAF 1 is currently on a blue 1954 Bentley (taxed until July 2018).

B Fraser
7th Mar 2018, 08:02
Sad people you are.

Perhaps Mr Exeng you can tell us what you spend your money on so we can all feel superior. How do you view "personalised" aircraft registrations ? I always wanted G-OFYS but have never had the opportunity to fix it to an aircraft. I did like the idea of getting G-SPOT for a hot air balloon as the retrieve crew would always be looking for it. I do also like the Irish registered EI-EIO. BA had G-BOAC on a Concorde which no doubt some sad sanctimonious twot thought was just them being showy.

It's just a bit of fun and if that's what people want to spend money on then fair play to them.

The prize for best registration on a car has to go to former motorcycle rider Steve Parish who managed to get PEN 15 past the DVLA. Well done that man !

I used to live in London and a famous actor just around the corner owned two rather large cars. One was registered 2B and the other NOT 2B.

Pontius Navigator
7th Mar 2018, 08:07
G-CPTN, maybe he did buy it, or AOC 1?

B Fraser
7th Mar 2018, 08:14
There is an ex Culdrose pilot living in the Cornish village of Gweek. Legend has it that he named his house "The Acwopolis".

No doubt the fun police will be along shortly to say that he should have donated the money spent on the sign to a more worthy cause.

Ogre
7th Mar 2018, 08:16
I was driving home form the shops one day with the memsahib in the passenger seat and she started giggling at something. She refused to tell me what but whipped out her phone and snapped something.

When I got home she showed me the picture, a nice big black car with the number plate "GSPOT 1".

No wonder I could never find it....

B Fraser
7th Mar 2018, 08:21
I hope your windscreen wipers were working !

ShyTorque
7th Mar 2018, 08:33
Some buy a car worth hundreds of thousands of pounds and keep the registration given by DVLA. Some have an old banger but buy a personalised number plate for not much money (DVLA sell the rights to display them starting at about 300). Yet some strangely object strongly to the latter and say that those owners should give their money away instead - strange logic.

Having said that, the ones I do find strange are the ones who can't obtain the actual number they want and "bastardise" one similar to almost look like it. I recall one in particular, who having just gained his PPL on Cessna 150s, turned up shortly after at the flying club to show off a newly acquired Jaguar with the plate D1 LOT. He had changed the spacing of the digits and stuck an extra black fixing bolt by the D to make look like PILOT.
Shortly afterwards he drove off, not noticing that a couple of his mates at the club had been busy with black insulation tape. His rear registration plate now read "PILOCK"

Blues&twos
7th Mar 2018, 08:46
Whilst I understand some are genuinely 'cherished plates', personalised numbers aren't my cup of tea, particularly those which appear to be massaging the driver's ego. Saw one in Berkshire last week - ONE 805S - cringed so hard I nearly pulled a muscle.

Barcli
7th Mar 2018, 09:44
Daughters first car has a 299 " private plate" with her initials - best 299 I ever spent because (a) she can keep it for life and (b) she and her influential mates have actually no idea how old the car is and so gone is any remotest snobbery / one upmanship amongst her and her mates ( who all have been bought much much newer vehicles)

VP959
7th Mar 2018, 09:58
Some buy a car worth hundreds of thousands of pounds and keep the registration given by DVLA. Some have an old banger but buy a personalised number plate for not much money (DVLA sell the rights to display them starting at about 300). Yet some strangely object strongly to the latter and say that those owners should give their money away instead - strange logic.

Having said that, the ones I do find strange are the ones who can't obtain the actual number they want and "bastardise" one similar to almost look like it. I recall one in particular, who having just gained his PPL on Cessna 150s, turned up shortly after at the flying club to show off a newly acquired Jaguar with the plate D1 LOT. He had changed the spacing of the digits and stuck an extra black fixing bolt by the D to make look like PILOT.
Shortly afterwards he drove off, not noticing that a couple of his mates at the club had been busy with black insulation tape. His rear registration plate now read "PILOCK"

Years ago a late friend bought a then new red Toyota pickup truck, the one with "TOYOTA" in big white letters across the tailgate, that he was incredibly proud of for some reason.

This was when a certain brand of children's plastic construction vehicle toys were being heavily advertised.

It was the work of minutes to print up some paper letters the same size and font, with some red paper to fill in the background, and change "TOYOTA" to "TONKA". Sadly he had a complete sense of humour failure about it.

My plate just has my initials on it, plus four digits, that's all, and now really has more sentimental value than anything else, as I've had it so long. As I was unexpectedly gifted it, anyway, it's not something I specifically went out of my way to acquire.

Tankertrashnav
7th Mar 2018, 09:58
Anyone seen OBO 110 X recently? It used to be on a Volvo in London many years ago - I assume it's on something else now.

goudie
7th Mar 2018, 10:13
Is PEN15 still in circulation? I last saw it in N. London many years ago. It was then owned, I believe, by Fiona Richmond, a pin-up star.

ShyTorque
7th Mar 2018, 10:30
Anyone seen OBO 110 X recently? It used to be on a Volvo in London many years ago - I assume it's on something else now.

That number isn't on the DVLA database.

Nor is PEN 15.

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
7th Mar 2018, 10:31
B777 CAP is only available if W4N K3R has already been issued.

VP959
7th Mar 2018, 10:39
That number isn't on the DVLA database.

Nor is PEN 15.

Doesn't the latter date back many years, to the "S" suffix? I seem to remember reading about it years ago, and at the time thought it was PEN 1 S, but that could just as easily be an urban myth.

ShyTorque
7th Mar 2018, 10:44
One thing a friend of mine discovered not too long ago. He is a very talented metal fabricator and many fairly well known classic cars have bodywork and exhausts made by him. He designed and built his own vintage look-alike car, starting with nothing more than a 1930s Morris front beam axle. Just before it was finished he bought another old car with an appropriate registration plate, which he wanted to transfer. Having alerted DVLA that he was the new owner, but it was not being used on the road, he later applied to transfer the number. It was refused, instead DVLA told him he no longer had the rights to it. Instead they issued him a completely different, age related plate, which was worthless to him. He later discovered that someone at DVLA sold the plate to another owner on the same day that he had advised them he was the new owner; obviously someone there had a personal waiting list; make of that what you will. A "cherished number" might be more cherished by the DVLA than the present owner...

ShyTorque
7th Mar 2018, 10:46
Doesn't the latter date back many years, to the "S" suffix? I seem to remember reading about it years ago, and at the time thought it was PEN 1 S, but that could just as easily be an urban myth.

Neither are on the database. :)

57mm
7th Mar 2018, 11:23
O GO 2L seen on a gorgeous Aston Martin........

dastocks
7th Mar 2018, 11:32
I saw a PEN15 plate attached to a car in west London a couple of years ago. I think it was an Isle of Man registration.

B Fraser
7th Mar 2018, 12:02
Is PEN15 still in circulation? I last saw it in N. London many years ago. It was then owned, I believe, by Fiona Richmond, a pin-up star.

I think that the erotic thespian you mention actually had the number plate FU 2. Even I'm worried that I know that !

The Steve Parrish story appears to be true and his Wiki page lists this and many other practical jokes. What a bloke ! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Parrish

Ascend Charlie
7th Mar 2018, 12:11
Can you buy "U CLINT"?

ShyTorque
7th Mar 2018, 12:16
There is an ex Culdrose pilot living in the Cornish village of Gweek. Legend has it that he named his house "The Acwopolis".

No doubt the fun police will be along shortly to say that he should have donated the money spent on the sign to a more worthy cause.

That's correct; I know the owner and have been to the house. He ran the Navy "Sharks" Gazelle helicopter formation team at one time.

Wingswinger
7th Mar 2018, 12:36
Back in the 1960s the following number was often seen around Edinburgh new town on various expensive sports cars: 50 BER.

Gertrude the Wombat
7th Mar 2018, 12:37
she and her influential mates have actually no idea how old the car is and so gone is any remotest snobbery / one upmanship amongst her and her mates ( who all have been bought much much newer vehicles)
Are there really people who GAS about how old one's car is? How about finding different mates?

PDR1
7th Mar 2018, 13:01
My wife wanted her registration nuplates to say her name.

So I got her name changed to LV67UMY by deed poll.

PDR

panda-k-bear
7th Mar 2018, 13:04
Many moons, probably in about 1981, ago my dad bought a 'nearly new' Granada that had the reg 58TU. In those days, you couldn't buy a reg but only pay to transfer it from one vehicle to another. The reg became known around town, especially by friendly bobbies (no, not for wrong reasons) and he used to be waved through drink/drive checkpoints. He lived near a seaside town that was experiencing trouble with out of towners at the time He transferred it over to the next car - not really for vanity but because the law recognised the number as a local and so never bothered it.

Laarbruch72
7th Mar 2018, 14:04
I find it a bit sad.... particularly the ones who have to mangle it to get it close to what they want it to say. A neighbour of mine is called Roberta and she has some weird doctored combination of 8s, unwanted 3s, funny fake bolts in odd locations and whacky spacing, all to risk a fixed penalty notice, and at the same time coming precisely nowhere near to having her name on the plate.

The other sad one is the plate that tells you what kind of car it is, even though it already has a badge on the boot. X5 / X6 / M3 / M5 are the common ones on BMWs. I do wonder if they're missing something in their lives... attention perhaps?

G-CPTN
7th Mar 2018, 14:38
MG registrations were cherished on MGs as long ago as 1930.

B Fraser
7th Mar 2018, 15:22
Morgans often have a MOG number plate. Just don't tell the miserable sods who rarely get invited to parties. I met a celebrated pilot who jointly achieved the first circumnavigation of the globe by the Breitling Orbiter balloon. His registration is P1 RTW. Well done to him and I trust he ignores any tut tut tutting from lesser mortals.

yours aye

A 911 BJF

Mike6567
7th Mar 2018, 16:42
I am not sure where this one is now (taken about 25 years ago)

Blues&twos
7th Mar 2018, 16:53
The old classic, B.Fraser, 'if you don't agree with my view, I'm going to call you a saddo'.

Playground stuff.

Smeagol
7th Mar 2018, 17:04
In about 1974 PEN 15 used to on a white Rolls-Royce Shadow which was regularly parked in the drive of a house on the London south circular road in the North Sheen/ Kew area.

Saw it there many times.

B Fraser
7th Mar 2018, 17:19
Not quite Mr Blues, just a reaction to earlier posts from the "more worthy than thou" brigade who look down on a bit of harmless fun which contributes to the exchequer. Going by your nom de Pprune, that revenue probably pays your wages too. I guess I took their bait which is my fault.

I note that none of them have answered my question on witty aircraft registrations. Perhaps you have a view ?

MFC_Fly
7th Mar 2018, 17:23
I take it you have a personalised plate then B Fraser? Why else would you be getting so worked up about the comments?

Flypro
7th Mar 2018, 17:30
As the whole idea for a visible registration on a vehicle is to identify it, I can see no reason why almost any registration marks should not be allowed.

I think I would have far more chance of remembering that I was hit and run by PEN1S (snigger) than DR26BNF.

Also seem to recall that NZ has rules similar to this?

B Fraser
7th Mar 2018, 17:53
Who can deny that this doesn't bring a little smile to your face when you are stuck in traffic.

http://www.paulmurrayhr.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/PIMLICO-VAN.jpg (http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjIqcmC49rZAhWBzKQKHWMbCFIQjRwIBg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.paulmurrayhr.co.uk%2Fplumbing-firm-to-the-rich-and-famous-avoided-paying-tax-and-used-case-of-stringfellows-lapdancer-in-its-defence-at-employment-tribunal%2F&psig=AOvVaw0Y6wZvrkd_qa4qq7R82QAs&ust=1520531041309977)

Gertrude the Wombat
7th Mar 2018, 18:09
Some mates of mine working at the time for Ambit International were thinking of getting AMB 1T for the firm's white van, but didn't in the end for some reason.

Krystal n chips
7th Mar 2018, 18:17
Who can deny that this doesn't bring a little smile to your face when you are stuck in traffic.

http://www.paulmurrayhr.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/PIMLICO-VAN.jpg (http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjIqcmC49rZAhWBzKQKHWMbCFIQjRwIBg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.paulmurrayhr.co.uk%2Fplumbing-firm-to-the-rich-and-famous-avoided-paying-tax-and-used-case-of-stringfellows-lapdancer-in-its-defence-at-employment-tribunal%2F&psig=AOvVaw0Y6wZvrkd_qa4qq7R82QAs&ust=1520531041309977)

Quite.....shame about this however.

https://www.tuc.org.uk/news/pimlico-plumbers-ruling-exposes-growing-problem-sham-self-employment-says-tuc

Still, nothing like a good chortle to pass the hours spent stationary in London traffic eh !

flyingfemme
7th Mar 2018, 19:10
I saw a PEN15 plate attached to a car in west London a couple of years ago. I think it was an Isle of Man registration.
Not IOM, they all have MAN or MN in them.......SP does have a pad on the Rock though.
I do know somebody who has C208MAN on his van.....hes a van driver!

It's Not Working
7th Mar 2018, 19:10
Merc sports car in Worcester a while ago with a bouffanted blond driving - B1TCH. Lots of smiles from all around.

VP959
7th Mar 2018, 19:11
I note that none of them have answered my question on witty aircraft registrations. Perhaps you have a view ?

One of my aeroplanes had a "personal" reg. IIRC, the CAA charged me around 100 for the privilege. I had a local graffiti artist, who was a dab hand with an airbrush, paint some WWII-style cheeky nose-art of a St Trinian's girl, bent over and showing her underwear and stockings. Not sure where she is now, G-INFO shows her as being still registered to the chap I sold her to many years ago, with no indication she's been flown since then.

Blues&twos
7th Mar 2018, 20:39
Hi B.Fraser, I'm an engineer, I work in the pharmaceutical industry.
I've always been a bit bewildered by people who say to public service employees "I pay your wages". In reality, we all pay each other's wages of course - that's the economy for you.
As I mentioned in my previous post, I'm not a fan of ego-massaging personalised car plates. Personalised aircraft registrations, for some reason, don't bother me particularly.

Mr Optimistic
7th Mar 2018, 21:11
Personalised number plates hey. Bit tragic don't you think. Deficient self-image needs to be bolstered. Too old to seduce women, career plateaued but have money. What else? Well if you must I suppose but you loose the crucial penile length test by your own admission. Up to you but I wouldn't be happy.

Gertrude the Wombat
7th Mar 2018, 21:22
Personalised number plates hey. Bit tragic don't you think. Deficient self-image needs to be bolstered. Too old to seduce women, career plateaued but have money. What else? Well if you must I suppose but you loose the crucial penile length test by your own admission. Up to you but I wouldn't be happy.
Hey, genuine question here: do Brits buy personalised number plates because they aren't allowed to buy guns as penis extensions? Put it another way, do the same sorts of Americans buy personalised numbers plates too, or do they just buy guns instead?

Cheerio
7th Mar 2018, 21:26
Back in the 1960s the following number was often seen around Edinburgh new town on various expensive sports cars: 50 BER.

What a blast from the past! I remember that was the first personal plate I ever saw - stuck in my mind as a kid. It was on an MGBGT in Dalkeith.

Anyway, my personal reg is my wife's Christian name using 66 for EE :D

ShyTorque
7th Mar 2018, 22:01
A farmer friend has the same number plate as the make of his car. It's a genuine "prefix" plate and correctly spaced iaw all the regulations, but it does looks like an advert or a show plate. He often got pulled over by the local police and asked where his number plate was, until they got used to seeing the car.

DType
7th Mar 2018, 22:12
Was quite impressed by WF 10 NAG, which I saw in Peebles, but spaced to read:-
W F10NA G

Duchess_Driver
7th Mar 2018, 22:54
Blue Aston Martin DB9...

AU55OME

(Not mine...)

G-CPTN
7th Mar 2018, 23:09
Blue Aston Martin DB9...

AU55OME

(Not mine...)

Now on 2010 Ferrari 430.

Loose rivets
7th Mar 2018, 23:14
Do you remember finding out for me about the Granada with an F1 reg?

Little silver haired man being driven out of Frinton gates.

Anyway, my personal reg is my wife's Christian name using 66 for EE

You have a wife called EE ? Your surname isn't Bygum perhaps?

treadigraph
7th Mar 2018, 23:16

BOL 10X i saw on the A3 heading south over the Hogs Back about 25/30 years ago... from memory it was a Beemer or a Porsche. Saw a Cortina (I think) CLA 55Y on the northern peri road at Heathrow around the same time.

G-CPTN
7th Mar 2018, 23:21
Do you remember finding out for me about the Granada with an F1 reg?

Little silver haired man being driven out of Frinton gates.

Now on 2013 Bugatti.

Loose rivets
7th Mar 2018, 23:47
I bet . . . I hope, that's not owned by our local council.

oldpax
8th Mar 2018, 00:50
I think my first car had one of the best. UP U 453!!!Was a Rover 75.

G-CPTN
8th Mar 2018, 06:13
Owner of 'F1' number plate puts it up for sale for 10 million (https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/482765/Owner-of-F1-number-plate-puts-it-up-for-sale-for-10-million).

Ancient Mariner
8th Mar 2018, 06:15
I have a personalised license plate. I personally asked the dealer to personally find me a number which I could remember when I bought my last car.
NF 80760, that will do.
In Norway you can buy a plate with anything you like, as long as it is not rude, discrimatory or a trade name. GBP 900/1000 for 9/10 years, if memory serves. Money goes to traffic safety work.
Per

WilliumMate
8th Mar 2018, 06:21
Pehaps the local magistrates could order persistant traffic offenders to attach KN 08 HED plates to their car for a period of time. Just so we know.

:E

B Fraser
8th Mar 2018, 07:52
Hi B.Fraser, I'm an engineer, I work in the pharmaceutical industry.

Apologies, I was taken in by your username and thought you were paid by the state. My error. Anyhow, I see the intelligentsia amongst us have run out of talent and are now reliant on personal insults. :ugh:

As a fan of JS Bach (a heavy metal artist born 200 years too soon), I have often wondered about having the number plate BWV 565 on a Jaguar D type or a Morris Minor. Music buffs will get the joke.

A helicopter mate lived in Rowtree Cottage and the late, great and sadly departed Sir Patrick Moore lived at Farthings (Far Things). Little gems like that brighten your day if you have a sense of humour.

thegypsy
8th Mar 2018, 08:19
Saw a London Black Cab Reg TXI 100 outside Chelsea & Westminster Hospital yesterday.

For crying out loud it is just a bit of fun. Money goes into the Treasury to pay for the great unwashed and foreign aid budget so that should please those lefties and other miserable people.

ian16th
8th Mar 2018, 09:02
Anyway, my personal reg is my wife's Christian name using 66 for EE :D

Wash your mouth out!

Are you not aware that the term is now 'forename'?

You will upset the PC police.

cattletruck
8th Mar 2018, 10:02
Made a motorcyclist friend happy the other day.

I few days ago I was stuck in traffic and noticed the [email protected] motto message at the bottom of a number plate put their by some useless politician in order to make their mark. It read

VICTORIA - THE EDUCATION STATE

I noticed my friend had a similar one on his number plate, so I suggested he rub out a couple of letters to read

VICTORIA - THE _DUCATI__ STATE

He loves it.

Hydromet
8th Mar 2018, 10:07
Tell him to be careful, Cattletruck. Many years ago, c 1980, someone changed the motto to VICTORIA - THE POLICE STATE and was booked. Kind of made the point.

timgill
8th Mar 2018, 10:18
A few years ago I spotted 10 PA on an ordinary car, but underneath the registration number was written “temper” just in case you didn’t get it. Also I heard a story, possibly not entirely true, about a BMW driver who wanted to buy 27 BMW (27 being his lucky number) but was told it wasn’t available. So he bought 27 BNW instead.

I don’t much like plates describing the car, like V70 or X5, but I do like amusing plates like BOG 1. I’ve yet to see F1 LTH or OCR 4P.

After years of quietly mocking the vain money wasters who owned them, I finally bought my own from DVLA (much cheaper than any of the private companies selling them).

I have friends in other countries that don’t have personalised plates. It’s a total mystery to them and, as one of them put it “My washing machine has the serial number WP 1949 which are my initials and year of birth, but I don’t drive around showing it off.”

Sir Niall Dementia
8th Mar 2018, 10:38
Parked near my office are VC10DAD and V2Fly.

I'm after VTO55 (Helicopter pilots will get that one)

As for the OP a plate showing you're an A330 Captain is a bit over the top when you're a 21 year old wannabe who recently goy torn to bits after starting a thread on here criticising a BA crew.

SND

thegypsy
8th Mar 2018, 10:53
Just seen another Pimlico Plumber plate 80G with no spacing trying to emulate BOG.?

11277m
8th Mar 2018, 10:58
I saw AR06ANT in Kensington a few years ago.

There's some strange people around.

Union Jack
8th Mar 2018, 11:07
For crying out loud it is just a bit of fun. Money goes into the Treasury to pay for the great unwashed and foreign aid budget so that should please those lefties and other miserable people.

Absolutely right, and to my mind no more significant than choosing to have a particular colour for one's car, which can of course cost a lot more than many cherished registrations when specified for a new car. Now I wonder how many of the Dismal Jimmys do that.....

My current UK favourite is LE55 TAX, first seen on a Bentley and now on a Range Rover, and I also remember a senior member of the Royal Family sporting K7 at one time, but curiously enough K34 is not currently allocated.

My favourite US one was BOLLOX, spelled "correctly" in full and first sighted on a light blue Jaguar convertible on the Long Island Expressway, flying down the High-Occupancy Vehicle lane and occupied by only the driver and an Alsatian dog. I laughingly queried with a New York state trooper whether this qualified as High-Occupancy and, after only a moment's hesitation, he replied, "Only if it was a seeing eye dog, Sir!"

For the of W1NGSW1NGER and CH33RIO, 50BER was, amusingly enough, at one time displayed on a Lotus owned by a publican in Frederick Street in Edinburgh, regularly parked outside a bar just up from Queen Street.

Jack

thegypsy
8th Mar 2018, 11:07
That number no longer exists which is surprising or perhaps is on a retention certificate?

Union Jack
8th Mar 2018, 11:22
That number no longer exists which is surprising or perhaps is on a retention certificate?

A very 50BERing thought....

Jack

11277m
8th Mar 2018, 11:22

I wonder what they've moved on to now?

Union Jack
8th Mar 2018, 11:35
I wonder what they've moved on to now?

WH15KEY perhaps? Already on a BEN7LEY....

Jack

Loose rivets
8th Mar 2018, 12:02
I had a very strange experience a while back. While on a walk on Walton's Naze cliffs, The Rivetess, her pal and I said a casual Hi, to a man who'd just dragged a bundle to the top of the 72' high cliffs. It was moonlit night and he was startled by our sudden appearance.

We walked on but when he backed to turn around I turned and he switched off all lights and proceeded down the long road to the gates on his headlight flasher.

I'd got his number. And I had a good look for feet sticking out of the brambles.

A variety of things happened next which made it a police issue. However, I called Swansea and while they couldn't reveal details, I'd piqued her interest, and the plate wasn't on any listing. Example spacing, nn (long space) XX

I called the police again and a WPC took down full details but nothing was ever done, well, that was revealed to me.

treadigraph
8th Mar 2018, 12:30
Given my preferred tipple, C1 DER would suit me...

thegypsy
8th Mar 2018, 13:19
AR06ANT

Having nothing better to do for a minute I googled that number and see it was on a Black Merc owned by a drug gang leader.:ugh:

ian16th
8th Mar 2018, 13:25
Given my preferred tipple, C1 DER would suit me...
This number was on a HP Bulmer company car, c1967-71.

At this time the company was still family owned, so it was probably driven by one of the family.

treadigraph
8th Mar 2018, 13:39
This number was on a HP Bulmer company car, c1967-71.

At this time the company was still family owned, so it was probably driven by one of the family.

Donald Healey's family run the Cornish Cyder Farm which brews Rattler cider and other delicious drinks - be a good registration for them. C4 DER might work as well. There are two or three Healeys on display at the farm.

DType
8th Mar 2018, 15:38
Imst in Austria has the registration IM, so lots of interesting number plates.
We stayed in a hotel where the owner had IM PAPA7, his wife had IM MAMA7, so we guessed they had 7 children.

Doug E Style
8th Mar 2018, 15:54
One of the posters on this thread must own BE11 END. Come on, own up!

ShyTorque
8th Mar 2018, 16:13
Sorry, that one is also not on the DVLA database.

RAT 5
8th Mar 2018, 17:49
I thought Jimmy Tarbuck's (I think) 'COMIC' amusing.

Back in the early days of number plates I met a guy called Hanson. He was a pioneer in the travel industry along with Harry Goodman. He also told me he had some challenging moments with Lord Hanson. My acquaintance sort out HAN5ON and found it on a motorbike in Wales. Off he went to purchase said old Honda, and the owner, smelling London disc, drove a huge bargain. Never mind, the deal was struck. The number plate was transferred to the Rolls Royce the upstart Hanson. The story went that Lord Hanson saw this flaunting itself around London and went apoplectic. He offered mega bucks but the idea was the winning pleasure lay in the 'naff off reply', I do not need you money.
Ah, the games people play; but from one side it was a good humoured poke.

I suppose the most famous eccentric exponent of this quirk was Gerald Nabarro and hiss collection of NAB 1-8. Some thought it cute.

I've always wondered why airlines follow suit. We see e.g. G-EZAA/AB/AC etc. or G-BAAA/AB etc. (an example only, may not be absolutely accurate).
On the side of the ac/ in huge letters is 'easyjet' or British (Airways). So the reg is of little consequence.

Loose rivets
8th Mar 2018, 18:54
IIRC, Gerald's brother taught at Avigation in Ealing.

I can't believe the F1 reg is tilting at ten million. If only we'd bought it when we first posted about it, G-C

Mind you, I can't remember how long ago it was actually on the car, and I'm fairly sure it was a Granny.

treadigraph
8th Mar 2018, 19:08
I've always wondered why airlines follow suit. We see e.g. G-EZAA/AB/AC etc. or G-BAAA/AB etc. (an example only, may not be absolutely accurate).
On the side of the ac/ in huge letters is 'easyjet' or British (Airways). So the reg is of little consequence.

There was a Doctor Duck who owned a C182 G-AWAX in the 1970s. When he bought a newer C182 circa 1978, he registered it G-KWAX. Looking at G-INFO, the current owner lives on Mallard Way.

timgill
8th Mar 2018, 19:14
And what just appeared at the top of this thread? Why, a Speedyreg advert!

B Fraser
8th Mar 2018, 20:53
Some say there are two television presenters on a famous car related show who own G-OCOK and G-OHAM respectively. No prizes for guessing who they are.

Hydromet
8th Mar 2018, 21:00
Some years ago there used to be a 4wd around here with the rego BOX DOC. A gynaecologist perhaps?
As I now make wooden boxes, perhaps I should see if it's available.

EEngr
9th Mar 2018, 01:47
... with the plate D1 LOT. He had changed the spacing of the digits and stuck an extra black fixing bolt by the D to make look like PILOT.

So, not going to make people recall their maths with 314 LOT?

https://s13.postimg.org/hpjzk2bfb/MVC-017_F.jpg