PDA

View Full Version : Trevor Bayliss RIP

NutLoose
5th Mar 2018, 22:36
Brought technology to the third world through the simple yet groundbreaking wind up radio.

Art Smass
6th Mar 2018, 01:21
Thought you meant England's Cricket coach for a minute......

alwayzinit
6th Mar 2018, 08:34
This is a wind up right?

Ogre
6th Mar 2018, 08:40
He always seemed to epitomise the "British inventor" class that we sadly lack these days, smoking a pipe and tinkering in his shed the idea of the clockwork radio was one of those simple but brilliant ideas that left you thinking "why hasn't this been thought of before".

TURIN
6th Mar 2018, 08:42
This a wind up right?

The same thought sprung to mind. :O

Dan_Brown
6th Mar 2018, 08:51
The same thought sprung to mind. :O

He was aware there was a shortage of batteries in Africa mainly. They were tryjng to get the aids awareness message across. They had the radio's but nothing to power them up. TB went to his shed, turned a small electric DC motor with a hand drill. The motor was wired directly to a transistor radio. That was it and as said ubove, so simple yet so brillant.

treadigraph
6th Mar 2018, 11:45
The old jokes turn up regular as clockwork.

Amazing chap.

PDR1
6th Mar 2018, 12:54
I met him several times. He was very clear about his own genius despite the many tons of chips on his shoulders, and seemed to feel that there was never enough profanity it the world. So he was on a one-man campaign to tell the world how clever he was and to fill every gap in any converstaion with profane language.

Sorry, but I speak as I find.

PDR

racedo
6th Mar 2018, 19:30
Sad that he had not a single living relative.

Jetex_Jim
7th Mar 2018, 05:33
Wasn't the clockwork mechanism a gimick and somewhat redundant?

Surely the same thing could have been achieved rather more simply by using a handwound generator to charge a small battery?