PDA

View Full Version : Move to Ek or Qr

Dz_flyer
5th Mar 2018, 20:06
Good day fellas
I consider a move to EK or QR
As i ve seen so many threads about the two airlines
Is it still a bad option if am coming from a third world airline where the work conditions are not great and the pay is not good enough even if the country is cheap... Also am worrying about my kids future as the education level is too bad and safety is an issue as well i think the only good thing compared to EK and QR is the workload is around 50 to 70h per month
Hope to hear from you guys..
Thank you

fatbus
6th Mar 2018, 01:38
90 hr / m or 900 stick time / year for ever!

X-BleedOpen
6th Mar 2018, 06:59
Look man,

if you have no other choice, do it. But remember it's a 4 years bond and there are MANY, MANY, MANY good options in Europe/States or even Oz and NZ these days.

Stay away from this god forsaken place if you can...

Dz_flyer
6th Mar 2018, 07:13
Look man,

if you have no other choice, do it. But remember it's a 4 years bond and there are MANY, MANY, MANY good options in Europe/States or even Oz and NZ these days.

I think in Europe they all ask for EU passport which i dont have.... Am not sure but i think my only options are ME or to stay home north of africa

Dz_flyer
6th Mar 2018, 07:16

This is an issue...
Inthink the picture is not exactly as they are showing in there videos !!

BANANASBANANAS
6th Mar 2018, 08:27
Look man,

EK is a 5 year bond now, plus another 2 years if you hang around long enough for a shot at a command course.

Dz_flyer
6th Mar 2018, 09:58
Thanks for all the rep guys i appreciate that..
Am good where i am as a pilot flying short/medieum and being home by the end of the day...
Just seen some colleagues moving to ME so i thought it will be better place with better quality of life and better career and more professional environment ...so i thought its worth to move toward EK or QR.. But nothing in priority comes before my health and social and family life... Thats my opinion
Ready to hear more from you guys
Cheers

Dz_flyer
6th Mar 2018, 11:09
And i forget to mention i consider a move there cause am looking for better quality of life and i want to be stable and considering it for long term may be till retirement..
So am i on the right heading ?!!

The Outlaw
6th Mar 2018, 11:25
EK is a 5 year bond now, plus another 2 years if you hang around long enough for a shot at a command course.

Add 2 years for the command bond. You are effectively chaining yourself to EK for about 10 years.

fatbus
6th Mar 2018, 16:25
That's what they want!

IEFCL
6th Mar 2018, 16:43
But what about a pair of QR vs FZ, gents? Which of them would provide the most balanced money/family lifestyle for an FO? There is no much info about both of these airlines, or at least people seem to complain less about them.

Ghost_Rider737
6th Mar 2018, 19:00
QR is the way to go.
Problem with FZ is , lots of red eye flights , in a short haul aeroplane. Obviously No bunk , and a two man operation. Some sectors are 6 hours long. Cumulative fatigue will get the better of you. This will then affect your personal life.
Quicker command at FZ. That's the only benefit.

You won't last till retirement at FZ.
QR is by far the best option.

Jack330
6th Mar 2018, 19:07
QR by far, ek was better 10 years ago

Monarch Man
6th Mar 2018, 19:10
QR, based on personal experience at EK and friends at FZ and QR.

APU_inop
6th Mar 2018, 19:31
Depends on your expectations but QR is quite a nice company nowadays

sealear
7th Mar 2018, 01:34
Dz_flyer, please please PLEASE do not make any decisions based on what you read here. I'm at EK, I'm not going to tell you that it is great because it is not. However some people here will tell you to go to QR and they probably have no idea what that place is like. I have friends who left QR and hated it just the same.

Go and do both interview and make up your mind.

Dz_flyer
7th Mar 2018, 08:15
Dz_flyer, please please PLEASE do not make any decisions based on what you read here. I'm at EK, I'm not going to tell you that it is great because it is not. However some people here will tell you to go to QR and they probably have no idea what that place is like. I have friends who left QR and hated it just the same.

Go and do both interview and make up your mind.

You can pm me i would love to hear from you
Thanks

Dz_flyer
7th Mar 2018, 23:16
What about airlines in north africa guys.. Morroco.. Algeria.. How is life and working conditions there !!

desertcamel
8th Mar 2018, 03:49
I left EK last year, worked there for 12 years.

EK back then was a very good stop-over to Save cash, gain experience, get the Upgrade and Fly big jets -Old(A330s/343) and New(380). Most people you meet are friendly and considerate(training dept.- there was still a sense of camaraderie, helps you in a way)
Profit share/ Bonus. Life was easier and comfortable back then.

Now.... from "my own personal view". Lots have changed through the past years, and the decision to leave was made so easy.

So, if you're young/ single( or even married w kids)/ low timer(1500hrs or so) and who paid for your Type rating, who wanted to gain back and pay up the Loan. plenty of time and patience to spare. This place called Dubai and company known as EK, can be the right choice.

TIP: just lower the bar of expectation. Maybe, Ground level? that way, you don't feel betrayed from all their promises.

my2c

Flyboy_SG
8th Mar 2018, 09:15

900 hrs stick time ?? Meaning you guys fly 90 hrs at the stick every month ?

Flyboy_SG
8th Mar 2018, 09:19
Look man,

He wouldn’t qualify for all those places you said.

Flyboy_SG
8th Mar 2018, 09:21
Thanks for all the rep guys i appreciate that..
Am good where i am as a pilot flying short/medieum and being home by the end of the day...
Just seen some colleagues moving to ME so i thought it will be better place with better quality of life and better career and more professional environment ...so i thought its worth to move toward EK or QR.. But nothing in priority comes before my health and social and family life... Thats my opinion
Ready to hear more from you guys
Cheers

I would recommend QR. People are quite happy there.

Dz_flyer
8th Mar 2018, 09:30
Is it true what i heard about locals in QR and EK that they work less and get paid more ??

sealear
8th Mar 2018, 10:25
I don't know about working less but they do get paid more, yes.

Voeltjie
10th Mar 2018, 03:54
I'm considering a move to the M.E. for 5 years. I'm fully aware of various issues with the different airlines. But I think knowing that its not a permanent move will put me in a more positive frame of mind, when faced with those challenges. Would any F.O. flying a 777 at EK be willing to share/pm me a roster, preferably one that's not older than 3 months. I'd like to see if it's something I could live with for a few years. Of course any identification can be blacked out, I know it's a lot to ask from a complete stranger. I'd be very grateful

Glorified Dus Briver
10th Mar 2018, 23:58
Look man,

You can rule-out OZ and NZ with a 100% certainty.