PDA

View Full Version : Ancestry DNA tests

750XL
5th Mar 2018, 16:59
For a while I've been interested in getting one of the ancestry DNA tests done that are available on the web.

Does anybody have any experience with them, would you recommend it? I see there are various companies available such as Ancestry, 23andme etc.

finfly1
5th Mar 2018, 17:11
If the fed govt demanded DNA samples from citizens, there would be a massive uproar.

If outfits like banks cannot prevent hacking and theft of data, why should anyone believe a private company can do so?

Who knows where the information will end up, or how it will be used.

JUST my own (paranoid) opinion.

Captivep
5th Mar 2018, 17:16
My brother did one (with Ancestry) and it came back with a 28% this, 13% that, and so on (I've forgotten the actual details). To be honest, I'm not sure how useful that actually is...

MG23
5th Mar 2018, 17:21
My girlfriend is in some online groups that are into this DNA stuff. It's shown up quite a few, shall we say, 'parental abnormalities' so far (aka 'how come you don't match your father's DNA?').

As I understand it, none of them are going particularly deep into the DNA since a full sequence still costs around $1,000. They're just looking for a bunch of markers they can use to match people up.

VP959
5th Mar 2018, 17:45
I think some caution is needed, and positive confirmation obtained that NO data is retained by the company offering the service and that all samples are destroyed afterwards.

Some of these DNA testing and genealogy websites are, I believe, associated with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (the Mormons) who have a massive programme aimed at identifying every person that has ever lived. The reason they run the genealogy sites is to gather data for this programme, as I believe that their aim is, or was, to retrospectively baptise every human that has ever been born, or something like that.

Would I trust a church to protect a massive data base of personal data? Frankly I wouldn't, as I suspect that they are no better at data protection than the government.....................

Grayfly
5th Mar 2018, 21:28
I spent a couple of hundred pounds on various tests with Family History company ( if I remember the name correctly).
Lots of nice text and certificates etc but so far matches have been pretty poor.

I basically came from Africa, as did everyone else, travelled north towards the UK by way of France or Scandinavia and ended up in the UK. My data suggests I have been a native to these parts for quite a long time.

There have been a couple of remote matches with other individuals that my recent family history suggests are probably potential family from many many generations back. I tried contacting one of them but didn't even get a reply.

Until everyone starts doing the DNA testing it will be hard to find matches.

Private jet
5th Mar 2018, 21:30
Does any of this ancestry stuff matter? We have 99.9% of our DNA in common with every other human, 96% in common with chimpanzees. Genes are "diluted" very quickly with each successive generation, only 12.5% from each great-grandparent so saying you are "related" to people (or a famous historical person) from thousands or even hundreds of years ago is nonsensical. Even knowing the names and abode of your ancestors means very little. What did they look like? what did they like to eat? what was their personality like? Interesting, real stuff that there is no way of ever knowing. Go back far enough we are all apparently descended from an African lady called Lucy....

Pontius Navigator
5th Mar 2018, 21:38
Grayfly, quite. If all the people in my tree were tested I am sure there would be anomalies.

spInY nORmAn
5th Mar 2018, 22:46
If you are contemplating using Ancestry.com's DNA testing service, you may want to check this out: https://www.snopes.com/ancestry-dna-steal-own/

In essence it states that:

"Signing up for Ancestry.comís DNA test does not mean that the company owns your DNA data, in the complete and permanent way in which that word is typically understood. Customers license it to the company. Customers can choose not to allow their genetic information to be used for certain purposes, and can also revoke the license and have the DNA data and sample destroyed if they wish ó something that would not be possible if Ancestry.com owned them outright.

However, granting Ancestry.com that license can involve giving them relatively significant rights over DNA data, and the scope of these rights may go beyond what is immediately apparent. Furthermore, licensing your DNA data to Ancestry.com does come with risks to your privacy, as well as potentially resulting in problems obtaining life insurance or, in certain circumstances, even getting hired for a particular job."

deanm
6th Mar 2018, 00:57
I'm a PhD molecular geneticist with many years of working in and around genetic identification, including paternity analysis (in humans &... animals!).
[1] The general consensus is that approximately 1% of human births involve non-paternity (i.e. the bloke who thinks he's Dad, isn't).
[2] The DNA ancestry companies (particularly in the US) are very keen at getting your data - which they can on-sell to other companies. This is set to become quite lucrative and should set off alarm bells.
[3] Iceland-based 23andMe have actually done some really solid science with their (de-identified) ancestry data - they've helped identify dozens of disease-related gene variants.
Dean

cavortingcheetah
6th Mar 2018, 10:57
For me it was pleasurable to discover that most of my DNA was Nordic rather than Anglo Saxon for this linked in to a family rumour that my ancestors discovered America.
The icing on the cake was the discovery that somewhere in the dark recesses of my family's sexual activities, a Polynesian conceptional copulation had occurred.
As a Norseman with Polynesian blood I find myself not only relatively invincible but also able to make jokes that, from the mouths of orindary white people, would be considered racist.