PDA

View Full Version : Revalidation of UK PPL

anchorhold
5th Mar 2018, 11:55
Ok this is the scenario. UK PPL lapsed by seven years, can the candidate opt for a LPC or does she require an assesment of training needs, pprior to the LPC. Likewise does she reqquire a medical in place upon doing the LPC.

Hats.On.To.Fly
5th Mar 2018, 14:22
By PPL expired, do you mean the actual JAR issued CAA licence, or the SEP rating attached to the licence?

In the case of the licence expired, the candidate needs to transfer to an EASA licence before 8th of April 2018 (next month) and possibly a retest if they are 7 years out of currency, EASA PPL are issued for life and it is only the ratings that need renewing from then.

Duchess_Driver
5th Mar 2018, 14:54
It's lapsed, so its a renewal. (pedant mode is now off).... UK CAA or UK JAA?

If UK CAA and a non-EASA aircraft (and wanting to stay that way...) then no training required (strongly recommended, but then I don't know the full circumstances)....

If UK JAA then assessment required by the examiner. Now, the ATO must take into account FCL.740 which stipulates what training an ATO should recommend but there are lots of "Can","Should" and "May" statements in there. Especially if she has been flying on an FAA or other ICAO licence with SEP privileges....then

LPC may be done without valid medical. Then application for EASA licence and SEP Class rating - for which I am led to believe there are some sticklers in the CAA who won't issue the licence without a valid medical.

Whopity
5th Mar 2018, 15:08
If UK JAA then assessment required by the examiner.JAA = EASA and a Course Completion Certificate is required and cannot be signed by the Examiner!

Duchess_Driver
5th Mar 2018, 16:26
JAA = EASA and a Course Completion Certificate is required and cannot be signed by the Examiner!

Yes, the assessment needs to be completed/undertaken by the ATO - but it is the examiner that requires to see it prior to the flight.

anchorhold
6th Mar 2018, 08:34
Perhaps my original post was not clear enough. I checked the licence it is a UK PPL (A), issued in the mid eighties, but not the bus ticket style, the pages are in a brown wallet. The pages were last issued on 15052012 and Class/Type/IR includes Instrument, IMC, MEP (land), SLMG, SEP (land), SP FE (no aerobatics)

It states "This licence shall remain in force for the holders lifetime unless suspended or revoked"

So as I see it a medical and LPC is all that is required to fly G-reg aircraft up to the 8th April 2018, thereafter she only has non EASA privledges.

She doesn't want to resume flying until the summer, if she she does the medical and LPC in June for the UK PPL, is it simply a case of applying for a EASA PPL in July.

Alternatively can she apply now for a EASA PPL without a LPC or medical. It seems rather strange that it is not clear if you need a medical, is this written down? Likewise is there anything written down regarding the LPC to issue a EASA PPL.

My other question is can she do the LPC in June for the UK PPL on a N reg or EASA aircraft, or does it have to be done on a non EASA G reg.

As for the fee for an EASA licence, with the DVLA you do not have to pay to upgrade from the old paper driving licence. Based on the working of the UK PPL, has anyone challenged the CAA on the EASA fee.

Finally is the requirement for the CAA to receive the EASA application by the 8th April 2018 or does it have to be issued by then, and what if the CAA can not meet the target?

PS. I have just looked at the CAA document on converting the UK PPL to EASA PPL it states 'UK PPL (A) to EASA PPL (A) (only valid for annex II aircraft) Part FCL PPL (A)' surely that is not correct?

Whopity
6th Mar 2018, 09:40
So as I see it a medical and LPC is all that is required to fly G-reg aircraft up to the 8th April 2018, thereafter she only has non EASA privledges.Yes, and she can do that on a Medical Dec (https://apply.caa.co.uk/CAAPortal/terms-and-conditions.htm?formCode=PMD) no need to go and get a Medical Certificate
Alternatively can she apply now for a EASA PPL without a LPC or medical.For the issue of an EASA licence an appropriate medical certificate is required. If you have not done the LPC then the licence will be issued without a Class Rating and be totally useless, then you will have to pay extra to have the rating added later.

A licence that was issued prior to 8th April 2018 is convertable at any time in the future. Regardiung the fee, I doubt anyone has challenged it as what the DVLA do is nothing to do with the CAA.
My other question is can she do the LPC in June for the UK PPL on a N reg or EASA aircraft, Yes

PS. I have just looked at the CAA document on converting the UK PPL to EASA PPL it states 'UK PPL (A) to EASA PPL (A) (only valid for annex II aircraft) Part FCL PPL (A)' surely that is not correct? Not sure which document you refer to, but a EASA Licence issued by any State is rendered valid on UK Annex II aircraft ANO Art 150

anchorhold
7th Mar 2018, 13:27
Whopity... That is great so just a LPC and self declaration, so that saves £130 on the medical.

However if someone decides to fly EASA aircraft and goes for an EASA PPL to replace a UK PPL, can they still retain the UK PPL.

Also the FRTOL used to sit on only one licence, so either PPL, CPL or ATPL what happens under EASA?

Whopity
7th Mar 2018, 19:47
can they still retain the UK PPL.
Yes there is a box to tick on the SRG1104 application form. You then get a new style UK lifetime licence.

The UK FRTOL appears as an entry in the licence so you no longer get a stand alone FRTOL.