PDA

View Full Version : Damn FAA

Backontrack
22nd Jul 2002, 09:59
I was all set for hour building in Florida in October. Now, however, with the new FAA regulations on none US PPL's the cheap hour building is negated somewhat by the cost of obtaining the FAA temporary licence to fly.

So, a rethink is needed, I'm looking at South Africa & Australia, yes I know there have been many threads on flying schools in both these destinations, but if anyone has any constructive advice I would appreciate it.

What about Spain? does anyone know what the average cost of a PA28 Warrior is for hour building packages?

Thanks to all

GonvilleBromhead
22nd Jul 2002, 10:21
In exactly the same situation as your good self. All set to head off to Florida at about the same time, wonderful timing ! Mind you, I notice it's currently a temporary measure, just keep fingers crossed they come to their senses.

Failing Fl, I will probably be looking at Oz for mine.

good luck.

ETOPS773
22nd Jul 2002, 10:23
This alarms me because I AM going to Florida to do hour building in October!!and didn`t know about this..geesh!!!

How do you get this FAA temporary license to fly,what do you have to do for it etc..sorry to divert the question,but I kinda got to sort tis out :mad:

Have you looked at hour building in canada btw,nice country.

mutt
22nd Jul 2002, 10:36
Guys dont be too hasty, providing that you already hold a CAA/JAA PPL, you should meet the requirements for the FAA PPL. The writtens are relatively easy, done in a computer testing center and graded immediately.
As for the flying, you were going to need a checkout on the aircraft before getting to rent it, now all that you have to do is a checkride with an examiner.
All in all, it still sounds relatively painless!

Mutt.

PS, all bets are off if the Department of Justice are involved. :)

Backontrack
22nd Jul 2002, 11:27
I think you'll find the previously flexible rules have changed last week. I have spoken to two FTO's this weekend and they to have confimed that there is a much deeper requirement now to obtain FAA Licence on top of your CAA/JAA PPL licence.

Check out the other post on this subject, currently on the forum. So if anyone can answer my original query it would be much appreciated as it seems there are a couple of others in a similar predicament.

Thanks

GolfFoxtrot
22nd Jul 2002, 11:36
What about Canada. I'm going out to Vancouver to do my hour building on an IFR C-172 in a month. The exchange rate is currently running at $2.4 CAD to the pound making rental in the region of 34 GBP an hour (wet). This is flying out of the rental base every day though.

I am planning to get a Canadian limited time PPL ( a qualification created for foreign ICAO licence holders aimed at hour building or flight training) and then renting the above aircraft dry at 60CAD per hour.

Therefore I can fly in the US on a Canadian licence in a Canadian registered aircraft. Mean fuel prices in the Western states. are around 2.4 - 2.6USD per gallon which at 10 gallons an hour consumption and an USD exchange rate of 1.533 (tourist) leads to an hourly rate of about 41GBP.

I have 60 hours booked over nearly 3 weeks. If any one wants any other info just email me.

Cheers
GF

The man formerly known as
22nd Jul 2002, 12:14
What regs are these?

Do they affect you if you alreay own a temporary airmans certificate?

GoneWest
22nd Jul 2002, 14:23
TMFKA - the only change to the regs as far as an existing FAA license issued on the basis of a foreign licence, is that you can no longer add any further FAA ratings to it - it is now frozen at whatever qualifications you already have on it.

All - don't despair on the USA hour building - the FAA examiners are all discussing the question - all you need to do is a simple written exam (which you can even do in the UK before you come out, if you wish). Read the private pilot test questions (http://av-info.faa.gov/data/knowledgetestguide/faa-g-8082-17.pdf) - this is the FAA PPL Confuser.

When you get to the states - you will have to do a school check out anyway....turn this into a few hours of training (you are trying to "hour build" - get it done with a dual rated [FAA & JAA] instructor and it will count for your JAA PPL renewal flight as well - there are schools, certainly in Florida, that have these people) and then do a flight test with an FAA examiner.

You will have a full blown, stand alone FAA licence and can do much, much more with it in the future.

Don't turn away because of a minor hurdle - it came as a shock - but it is no big deal.

The biggest problem is that, until the relevant FAA office publish their guidelines, each individual examiner may well have their own idea of what experience/training you must have to fly with them. This will be down to the individual flight schools to check with their local DPE's.

Ask your intended aircraft rental outfit - get it in writing - "What will I have to do to get an FAA PPL with your local DPE?"

ETOPS773
22nd Jul 2002, 15:02
So is this 1 single written exam?? in euroland we have to do 7...and not being cocky,but that FAA "confuser" document was really easy in comparison!!!

I`ll still go for it myself,getting the FAA license,but is a bit annoying.Ah well.Thats life :p

FrontWindowSeat
22nd Jul 2002, 16:28
ETOPS,

While the written test is very straightforward, don't forget that you also have a oral portion during the checkride itself, which can be far more detailed and cover any part of the regs or practical aspects of flying.
Since the oral is done on the ground before flying, the Examiner tends to form an opinion of your competance which can colour how stringent they are in the air. So, it's well worth spending time going through the FARs with an instructor beforehand.

FWS

Mintflavour
23rd Jul 2002, 09:08
Just got back from Florida last week. Looks like I got my tempory airmens cert just in time before the new regs. However, I found flying out there so relaxed compared to this country, even the instructors seem to be in a comber. I really cant see that they are going to suddenly make things tuff just to get a license conversion. I do recommend flying out there, Charts are hard to read at first but navigating, radio and flying as a whole is so much easier out there. No landing fees and alot places with over 2000m of runway to land on. Cedar Key was my favourite and then Venice Beach (go to sharkies restorant on the pier).

All in all a good experience and recomend doing it if you get a chance.

Good luck

mint