PDA

View Full Version : Will Turkish Airlines Continue Hiring Foreign Pilots?

JackRoy__
4th Mar 2018, 11:27
I am a Canadian, but I’ve always loved the idea of flying for an airline in Europe. I know this is almost unattainable for someone without EU work permits, but I have noticed that Turkish Airlines has consistently been hiring expat pilots. As I am still in flight school and need to build hours in jets at home in Canada before I can apply over seas, do you think THY will still be hiring expats for the foreseeable future? There is always Qatar and Etihad with their NB Europe routes but I feel I would prefer THY as it is truly in Europe.

Thanks for the responses in advance! -Jack

Banana Joe
4th Mar 2018, 16:15
No, Turkey is not Europe, let's make it clear. They're neighbours.

Anyway yes, they might still do it but plan on coming here as a captain because allegedly you need a 4 year degree to be considered for upgrade one day.

JackRoy__
4th Mar 2018, 17:51
No, Turkey is not Europe, let's make it clear. They're neighbours.

Sorry, what I meant and implied is that flying a NB aircraft for THY would provide a more European life with layovers, etc. As for the degree, I am 3 out of 4 years into my Aviation Degree in Commercial Aviation Management, so that shouldn’t be a problem.

Banana Joe
4th Mar 2018, 22:11
I am not sure you would get many layovers though. Most of narrow body jobs in Europe take you back home every night 9 times out of 10.

Anyway, go in the Middle East forum.

Krautwald
5th Mar 2018, 18:52
Flip it: will foreigners still want to get hired in Turkey?

Only one project-based job experience there. People where nice in general, but professional life was mostly uncomfortably authoritarian. Conflict solving a pain in the rear - many guys showing a very ugly face in the process.

Being an FO subordinate to a Turkish CPT (ex mil if really unlucky) is a gamble. Push to shove and you’ll know your place the hard way.

With the way things are going there atm, I would suspect that their share of big ego Master Race guys are in for a heyday...

JackRoy__
6th Mar 2018, 07:16
Thanks for the information everyone. I understand now that THY will continue to hire foreign pilots. I do have another question, On the careers page, at the present time, for the Not type rated narrow body FO position, are you able to chose what type you would prefer, (Eg: A320 or 737) or is it selected for you?

what's it doing now?
12th Jun 2018, 08:24
<div style="text-align:left;">Yes they will keep hiring foreigners because everyone is leaving as soon as they can. Almost every FO wants to leave. You will be treated as and always referred to as a foreigner. You will be hated. Don't do it.</div>

golfbananajam
12th Jun 2018, 08:46
No, Turkey is not Europe

Not quite right, The continents of Asia and Europe meet within Turkey. Some say within Istanbul. There is a river that goes through Istanbul. West of the river is part of Europe. East of the river is part of Asia

What Turkey is not, is a member of the EU

Groundloop
12th Jun 2018, 12:09
Just to be pedantic - the Bosphorus is quite a bit more than a "river", it is a strait joining two seas.

Fluke
13th Aug 2018, 14:51
Any comments from management to foreign pilots to address concerns on exchange rates? I assume THY still paying in lira.