PDA

View Full Version : Communication on 121.5

Ilyushin76
3rd Mar 2018, 06:25
Flying around the middle east, I've noticed a few airlines (mostly pilots from India - I do not want to point out airlines but people who fly in this region would know exactly who I am referring to) use the 121.5 to transmit anything from flight plans to communicating with company aircraft :bored:.

No concept of having a company frequency for intercompany communication? Just curious.

Ilyushin76
3rd Mar 2018, 07:00
Yup and they seem to think they own 123.45 too, and as you say from the dogs dinner, rosters, anything they can pollute the airways with!

Agreed :D:D:D

zero/zero
3rd Mar 2018, 07:51
Annoying and unprofessional

old freightdog
3rd Mar 2018, 09:33
but but, is that not what 21.5 is meant for???? Jokes aside, there are those who keep it on their 3rd, because it makes sense in the rest of the world. sad as it is, stay off it around the peninsula (and in certain other places just down the road from there...)

Flyboy_SG
4th Mar 2018, 12:44
Don’t target a particular nationality guys, haven’t you heard of music in china or Russian Italian or Greek conversation over Europe ? It’s been abused all over.

fatbus
4th Mar 2018, 13:51
Nothing compares to this region

TOGA!
4th Mar 2018, 14:40
No Nationality, but one of the ME3 seems to use it as a company frequency.

almost impossible to have the freq up within 500 miles of DXB.

MusingMonk
4th Mar 2018, 18:11
Flying around the middle east, I've noticed a few airlines (mostly pilots from India - I do not want to point out airlines but people who fly in this region would know exactly who I am referring to) use the 121.5 to transmit anything from flight plans to communicating with company aircraft :bored:.

No concept of having a company frequency for intercompany communication? Just curious.

Although I agree 121.5 should not be used for personal communication, people do have company freq. in India .. not only that.. they also use company 1 up.

121.5 is used to bring people to company one up and for people who are not in same airline and may not know your freq.

But I have seen this happening all over the world .. europe, us Asia.. you name it..

I find it quite amazing how people are so quick to generalize..

Not that I wanna defend Indians for using gaurd freq. but I believe every nationality comes with their own idiosyncrasy.. if you start getting pissed off with each one.. you would be a very pissed off person in life ..

I think you need to take it a bit lightly ..

Mrs Mangels
4th Mar 2018, 18:51
ICAO Level 4. Maybe 3??

Kinda ironic, innit???

The Outlaw
5th Mar 2018, 19:20
TBL is correct.

The discipline on "THE INTERNATIONAL EMERGENCY FREQUENCY" also known as "GUARD" has escaped common sense, airmanship and maturity in this region but also in Europe where its just about as bad. Why any (supposed) "professional" would think making cat noises, burps, farts, Big Button Box sound effects is somehow smart or cool begs belief.

Every pilot worthy of the title "professional"will monitor this frequency...please do us all a favour and show the world how smart you are by shutting up!

Callsign Kilo
5th Mar 2018, 22:42
Scream ‘You’re on guard’ in some plummy voice. Always works. Always.

White Knight
6th Mar 2018, 02:17
but also in Europe where its just about as bad

Utter rubbish! I very rarely hear 121.5 being used over Europe for general chitchat! Over the bl00dy Arabian Sea is another matter entirely... as TBL points out!

my salami
6th Mar 2018, 02:42
Utter rubbish! I very rarely hear 121.5 being used over Europe for general chitchat! Over the bl00dy Arabian Sea is another matter entirely... as TBL points out!

Unsless flying over U.K where you constantly hear pointless radio checks...

MS

Monarch Man
6th Mar 2018, 03:20
Unsless flying over U.K where you constantly hear pointless radio checks...

“Practise Pan Practise Pan” :}

Whenever I hear the usual suspects chatting...I normally transmit STFU in morse on the frequency.

harry the cod
6th Mar 2018, 05:20
MM

Why a professional pilot would react to a perfectly normal and acceptable transmission with a pointless and unnecessary response is beyond me. A response that the intended recipient is probably far too busy to comprehend, or even hear due to the fact he, or she, is on their 4th flight in a single engine trainer. You obviously find it funny or you're trying to prove a point. A point of not blocking a frequency by, er.....blocking a frequency?

Have you always been such a supercilious and pompous individual or has it taken years of professional practice to reach such an elevated position?
_ . _ _ . _ _ _ _ . . .

Harry

Dave Clarke Fife
6th Mar 2018, 06:42
“Practise Pan Practise Pan” :}

Whenever I hear the usual suspects chatting...I normally transmit STFU in morse on the frequency.

The only problem with your actions MM is that D & D actually encourages the practice ( pun possibly intended):

“The D&D actively promote pilots to use the facility to conduct Practice Pan and Training Fix scenarios under normal flight conditions, so that they are familiar with the service that can be provided, should a real emergency occur. The D&D are there to help aircrew and conducting a Practice Pan and Training Fix also provides D&D controllers the opportunity to hone their skills too”.

Dave Clarke Fife
6th Mar 2018, 06:49
Or, Monarch Man, did I misinterpret your comments and you actually were being ironic with the practice pan in quotation marks ??

Monarch Man
6th Mar 2018, 07:19
David, correct, I was being ironic and mildly sarcastic.

Paragraph two referred to Gupta and Prakash discussing IPL scores on 121.5 over the Arabian Sea.
Harry get off your high horse and lighten up a bit.

harry the cod
6th Mar 2018, 07:31
MM

Always amusing when someone posts, realise they're not as funny as they thought, then try to backtrack.

As for the high horse, your reference to "Gupta and Prakash" tells me all I need to know about you. Perhaps it's you MM who needs to dismount, before you fall off!

Harry

Monarch Man
6th Mar 2018, 07:44
And Harry I find it even more entertaining when someone such as yourself makes an assumption, only to find that their mental model is somewhat different to the reality, you of all people should be aware of that, I’m not backtracking..merely pointing out how idiotic and foolish your assumption is.
As for Gupta and Prakash, they both work for Spicejet, how do I know? Well, I had to endure their discussion, I’d also add that my contempt for their behaviour is related entirely to their disregard for the real reason for having 121.5. I suspect rather strongly that my contempt is shared by far more than not.
As ever Harold, all those trees are blocking your view of the wood.

harry the cod
6th Mar 2018, 07:48
So you added to the congestion by transmitting morse? Just a simple yes or no will suffice. ;)

Harry

harry the cod
6th Mar 2018, 14:06
The Outlaw

It wasn't an 'opinion', it was an action and the irony of MM's actions must be completely lost on you.

MM thought he'd be funny and tell us all what a dude he is by adding to the mayhem in his own childish way. It's already bad enough without jamming the frequency further, a frequency that he himself is so concerned in protecting for its 'real reason'. And if the names he used were indeed factual, which I doubt for one minute, I'd have thought an ASR would be more appropriate in letting the airlines and authorities deal with the muppets. Or do you too condone 'edgy' behaviour like that in the Dusty West? As for rose coloured morality, how about some basic professional standards and pride, regardless of which airline you work for!

Professional Pilot forum? It makes me wonder at times.

Harry

betpump5
6th Mar 2018, 14:20
"Station calling on 121.5. Please state your emergency and any assistance you may require".

Usually does the job in shutting up the PLA Air Force and the odd Filipino Fishermen talking to his airborne cousin in this part of the world.

The Old Swedish
6th Mar 2018, 14:37
What these, I call them, "guard morons" don't thing about is, what if...

What if the voice recording is being recovered because of a stupid thing like a tire burst. What will the airline think about them as professionals after getting a transcript with burps and meows on it? :D:E

Monarch Man
6th Mar 2018, 15:10
Don’t worry Harold, I’m sure an ASR will solve it! nothing like applying first world standards in a place where they don’t exists, and quite frankly never will. I’m sure the crew in ISB thought that very thought when the ambi-lift toppled over...” I know how to fix this..an ASR!”
Using logic, reason and common sense is a pointless waste of time, as has been proven overwhelmingly time and time and time again.

olster
6th Mar 2018, 16:05
Almost never hear 121.5 abused in Europe. Yup, practice pans very occasionally in the uk. Is that a bad thing for student pilots? ME different story regardless of nationality, lack of radio discipline endemic. Followed a biz jet through the Desdi hold who continued to read back clearances without using his call sign akin to mobile phone use. Even the controller finally lost it - ‘ use your call sign!’

MusingMonk
7th Mar 2018, 07:57
I can see a lot of superiority complex in the above comments.So I am gonna expect next time any of you gentlemen from "first world countries" hear anyone abusing 121.5 they will promptly file an ASR or at least report the event to the ATC in contact.

I hope you must have been doing it so far as this annoys you so much and is very unprofessional.

MusingMonk
7th Mar 2018, 09:27
Almost never hear 121.5 abused in Europe. Yup, practice pans very occasionally in the uk. Is that a bad thing for student pilots? ME different story regardless of nationality, lack of radio discipline endemic. Followed a biz jet through the Desdi hold who continued to read back clearances without using his call sign akin to mobile phone use. Even the controller finally lost it - ‘ use your call sign!’

Well I have heard everything from fart noises to cat sounds to burps while flying over Europe.

The Outlaw
7th Mar 2018, 09:57
Well I have heard everything from fart noises to cat sounds to burps while flying over Europe.

Yep, just as I mentioned in an earlier post, It's not as bad as the area around India but noisy all the same.

PS...Moderator, why did you delete my post?

The Outlaw
7th Mar 2018, 10:13
The Outlaw

It wasn't an 'opinion', it was an action and the irony of MM's actions must be completely lost on you.

MM thought he'd be funny and tell us all what a dude he is by adding to the mayhem in his own childish way. It's already bad enough without jamming the frequency further, a frequency that he himself is so concerned in protecting for its 'real reason'. And if the names he used were indeed factual, which I doubt for one minute, I'd have thought an ASR would be more appropriate in letting the airlines and authorities deal with the muppets. Or do you too condone 'edgy' behaviour like that in the Dusty West? As for rose coloured morality, how about some basic professional standards and pride, regardless of which airline you work for!

Professional Pilot forum? It makes me wonder at times.

Harry

Harry,

I'll spell it out to be a little more clear, it seems you may have missed my point.

From my earlier post:

The discipline on "THE INTERNATIONAL EMERGENCY FREQUENCY" also known as "GUARD" has escaped common sense, airmanship and maturity in this region but also in Europe where its just about as bad. Why any (supposed) "professional" would think making cat noises, burps, farts, Big Button Box sound effects is somehow smart or cool begs belief.

Every pilot worthy of the title "professional"will monitor this frequency...please do us all a favour and show the world how smart you are by shutting up!

The basic "airmanship and pride" is what I believe this whole thread is about, wouldn't you agree or do you see it some other way?

PS: Use spaces when writing out code, IE: " _ . _ _ . _ _ _ _ . . ." Otherwise you make yourself look like a " ._ ._. ... ."

olster
7th Mar 2018, 10:50
I guess it is just perception then. I now fly predominantly within Europe and rarely hear 121.5 being abused. However, that is not to say it doesn’t happen. I don’t like it either. Trying to be professional should not be equated with ‘feeling superior.’

The Outlaw
8th Mar 2018, 07:07
I can see a lot of superiority complex in the above comments.So I am gonna expect next time any of you gentlemen from "first world countries" hear anyone abusing 121.5 they will promptly file an ASR or at least report the event to the ATC in contact.

I hope you must have been doing it so far as this annoys you so much and is very unprofessional.

Monk,

This is not an issue of superiority or racism, quit trying to put that spin on things...its getting old and tiresome.

Abuse of guard has nothing to do with an individual airline ASR system as there is really nothing they can do to correct the problem within their own ranks. It is an issue of immaturity, lack of professionalism and abuse of a very important frequency. Remember, all ATC, military, search and rescue, coast guard, some branches of law enforcement and most if not all airlines monitor this frequency, why would anyone in their right mind use it for any other purpose? There is nothing superior in maintaining a high level of radio discipline which is the point of this thread.

In addition, its not just the aeronautical emergency frequency that gets abused in the region. The Maritime CH 16 (also, a guard frequency) gets abused beyond belief with all manner of music, banter and the like.

harry the cod
8th Mar 2018, 11:38
The Outlaw

Yes, I do agree with you, which surprises me that your time and effort is not better spent pushing MM to answer a straightforward question?

MM

Yes or no? Still waiting!

Harry

Monarch Man
10th Mar 2018, 05:38
Just read the question Harry, so yes! and no, it depends, not that I care to be honest.

superdunkaroos
14th Mar 2018, 07:20
When Sanjeet and Pradip are discussing the cricket try the following:
Open the air vent
Hold the hand mic over it
Depress the transmit button for 10 to 15 seconds.
Release and check if they're still going
If so... repeat
Eventually they give up. More effective than morse.

About as mature and professional as the 2 individuals you mentioned.

B78X
14th Mar 2018, 16:40
In Europe it appears to be largely clear of abuse, only the occasional student practise, but that is perfectly fine. Towards the Middle East and further SE, it gets a lot worse.

Ilyushin76
21st Mar 2018, 12:07
No, I’m sorry but I’m just going to say this (to reiterate the original post here); SPICE JET & JET AIRWAYS are the main offenders! Yes, you may be offendded but the truth hurts sometimes..

You nailed it.

:ok:

Ilyushin76
21st Mar 2018, 12:13
The trouble is that because it has become a jet airways / spice jet / indigo chat frequency - and I'm talking specifically about areas around the sub continent towards Muscat, we all end up turning down the volume on 121.5 so we don't have to listen to the incessant drivel! Unfortunately when its really needed the bi product is we are not listening!!

If you must talk use 123.45

I've been forced to do that for a while now, truly stated sir !:bored:

flyer47
23rd Mar 2018, 13:27
I usually hear aircraft trying to contact QR on 121.5. Maybe they keep the volume on VHF1 turned down.

AAGpilot
24th Mar 2018, 02:26
I’m constantly turning off 121.5 because of chatter. Very annoying.

Uplink
24th Mar 2018, 11:22
Whilst on this subject, I was down in the Far East the other day minding my own business, when two gentlemen popped up on guard and started asking each other about the ride heading from Singapore to Oz. One was English and one American. The chat went on for a while. Eventually I told them, when I could get a word in edgeways, to perhaps take the talk to 123.45. The English guy told me on 121.5 “why don’t you get a life!” I thought this was a little strong and a pretty rude.

I don’t normally say anything when I hear talk on 121.50. Normally people just telling another carrier to call ATC on a different freq. I have heard a myriad of other things including cricket scores.

By the way I know who the guy (from EK) was on 121.50 as I heard you later on the same frequency. I looked you up..... hope we meet soon!

donpizmeov
24th Mar 2018, 11:38
Wow unlink. Your last sentence sounds like it came from one of our muppets. You looking for an office job? Looks like a couple of vacancies in the Boeing office.

Uplink
24th Mar 2018, 12:00
Wow unlink. Your last sentence sounds like it came from one of our muppets. You looking for an office job? Looks like a couple of vacancies in the Boeing office.

You are being paranoid! Not everyone is a manager and I am certainly not an office wallah, but I don’t like rude people. A totally unprofessional thing to say in an emergency freq.

Ilyushin76
15th Apr 2018, 10:50
You are being paranoid! Not everyone is a manager and I am certainly not an office wallah, but I don’t like rude people. A totally unprofessional thing to say in an emergency freq.

I've heard two Indians fight over the same issue with statements like "What's your problem man?"

A relief to know that I'm not the only one who has to forcefully lower the guard volume.

EK and QR (in my experience) have normally either relayed messages from ACCs. Hardly see them abuse 121.5.

Ilyushin76
11th Dec 2021, 18:14
3 years later, our Indian colleagues from ifly and air india express continue to abuse the guard frequency.

Im still forced to keep it at the lowest possible volume these days. Cant bear to hear those call signs and the pilots pleading to their collegues to respond on guard.

Dont these guys have company frequencies?

Emma Royds
13th Dec 2021, 21:19
Unfortunately, it's one of the pitfalls of flying in this part of the world. Just like the poor standard of driving on the roads here in the UAE, some things will never change!

megan
17th Dec 2021, 01:19
Say again, you were cut out by a mayday.

Ilyushin76
20th Dec 2021, 20:07
Unfortunately, it's one of the pitfalls of flying in this part of the world. Just like the poor standard of driving on the roads here in the UAE, some things will never change!

True that. :)

Ilyushin76
20th Dec 2021, 20:08
Say again, you were cut out by a mayday.

Too good. Made my day. 😎

ShyTorque
21st Dec 2021, 13:39
Not too long back I heard the most appropriate response to an outbreak of silly noises on 121.5

London Centre replied with the miscreant’s actual call sign, telling him to desist and that he was going to be reported.

He’d obviously failed to realise that over much of the UK they have the ability to auto triangulate radio transmissions on the emergency frequencies.

Hopefully the appropriate action was taken.