PDA

View Full Version : EK ---> Chinese Airline

natops
2nd Mar 2018, 14:45
Good day guys,
Im trying to get into a Chinese airline. Heard some disturbing stories that EK is not giving you the right paperwork to get hired bythese Chinese airlines.... basically keeping us hostage in this airline. Flew with at least 2 FO's who had to cancel their joining because EK didnt want to give them the required paperwork. Telling them that if they gave it to them, there would be at least 70 others leaving the same day...
Anyway , my question: anybody here who was hired into an Chinese airline and got all of these papers from GCAA and/or EK.

1. Original Non-accident/Incident Letter
2. Original Safety Record Application Form (this form issued by CAAC but needs signature and stamp from your company)
3. Original Rewards and Punishment Records
4. Original of Training Record
5. Original total flight hours certificate

GoreTex
2nd Mar 2018, 16:32
Yes, happened to a friend of mine too, EK will not give you all the paperwork the Chinese ask for, the Chinese ask for way too much and EK is a usual not helpful

FlyingUpsideDown
2nd Mar 2018, 17:47
Yes, happened to a friend of mine too, EK will not give you all the paperwork the Chinese ask for, the Chinese ask for way too much and EK is a usual not helpful

Actually the Chinese do not ask for that much. They ask for a specific No accident/No punishment letter. When I joined (Chinese Airline), it was only the EK guys who had the problem. Other airlines like KLM, Norwegian, Virgin etc. had no problem getting the correctly formatted letter from there respective HR or Chief Pilot.

The problem is the GCAA and the verification of your licence. Once you apply with the GCAA to have a verification done, they liase directly with the CAAC which can take a very long time.

GoreTex
2nd Mar 2018, 19:31
Actually the Chinese do not ask for that much. They ask for a specific No accident/No punishment letter. When I joined (Chinese Airline), it was only the EK guys who had the problem. Other airlines like KLM, Norwegian, Virgin etc. had no problem getting the correctly formatted letter from there respective HR or Chief Pilot.

The problem is the GCAA and the verification of your licence. Once you apply with the GCAA to have a verification done, they liase directly with the CAAC which can take a very long time.

it was for CSA and after one year he gave up, the good thing is that he got paid for one year, he got hired but couldn't get all the documents for the ATPL

natops
3rd Mar 2018, 14:11
I shared a car about a year ago with somebody who was going to leave for Hainan 2 months later. So it must be possible, who knows the trick?

donpizmeov
3rd Mar 2018, 14:18
Natops a few heading that way at the moment. They have mentioned that this problem got sorted last year. Will pm ya when I find out for sure.

natops
3rd Mar 2018, 14:40
Thx don, looking fwd

eternity
3rd Mar 2018, 18:51
TBL Warrior,

Some regulatory agencies will only want to receive the No Incident/Accident Letter directly from the other regulatory agencies email address.
This was they can assure that the No Incident/Accident Letter you bring with you is legit.

FlyingUpsideDown
3rd Mar 2018, 19:23
What is the hold up with the GCAA verifying your license? Can you not apply for a license verification yourself and then take that with you when you leave ???

As part of the verification process, you'll have to specify which regulatory agency is requesting the verification. You cannot request one on your own behalf or at least that is the GCAA process. They then drag there heels in providing the necessary letter. Hopefully things have changed

Wizofoz
3rd Mar 2018, 20:42
Actually my experience is that GCAA did their part quite efficiently. The problem was that, once the CAAC receives the verification, it's procedure is to then go back to the foreign authority and do their own verification, and THAT can take months.

As to the no accident/disciplinary letter, yes it is Emirates policy to not provide it as the Chinese request, though some individual managers have done so against policy, and you CANNOT begin flying there until this is resolved.

DO NOT start employment in China until you have all the necessary paperwork in place.

InnocentBystander
4th Mar 2018, 06:40
DO NOT start employment in China until you have all the necessary paperwork in place.

I’d go one step further and say do not resign until you have the go-ahead from your new employer. I’ve been contacted in the past by people from EK who had been serving their resignation, desperately trying to get the required final paperwork; only ending up being unemployed. One of whom ended up going to another non-Chinese airline for significantly less money. Not sure what happened to the others.

Also remember that the paperwork requirement might change during your application process. I was required to present a NAIL with a different wording three months after my initial paperwork was accepted by the CAAC. They had a change in management and they wouldn’t process further until I’ve send them the new letter. Luckily I was able to obtain another letter from a kind soul even though I had already left Dubai. That person has since left EK so I’m not sure who would be able to issue the letters now.

Please rest assured that EK management will do ANYTHING THEY CAN to prevent you from joining a Chinese airline. They know it would open the flood gates.

motley flight crue
4th Mar 2018, 07:40
Agree EK make it difficult, but the Chinese need to get their act together. It’s seems a major headache to work there. Visas, paperwork, medical, ATPL exam, multiple interviews. If the need us then they need to make the process easier. Like in Dubai, that won’t happen.

birdy340
4th Mar 2018, 07:51
Leaving EK for a Chinese Airline reminds me the story of Odysseus in ancient times negotiating his way between Scylla and Charybdis.

SunNFun
4th Mar 2018, 09:19
Agree EK make it difficult, but the Chinese need to get their act together. It’s seems a major headache to work there. Visas, paperwork, medical, ATPL exam, multiple interviews. If the need us then they need to make the process easier. Like in Dubai, that won’t happen.

Remember that the government is still firmly rooted in the old communist way; i.e. the government says how it's done and that's it.

Trust me the recruitment departments are hating the CAAC shenanigans probably even more than we do... And even more the ones belonging to privately owned airlines. The government owned airlines seem to have it a little easier with the CAAC.

And once you've navigated the CAAC licensing department the CAAC Medical Department is even worse...

SunNFun
4th Mar 2018, 09:22
Leaving EK for a Chinese Airline reminds me the story of Odysseus in ancient times negotiating his way between Scylla and Charybdis.

It's worth it though. :)

PositiveRate876
4th Mar 2018, 09:30

I guess if you're gonna drown, there's double the money in Charybdis...

FlyingUpsideDown
4th Mar 2018, 18:05

If you can get the no accident/no punishment letter from your Airline then the rest is quite simple. Yes you have to do an ATPL exam but all of us who've joined a Chinese Airline had to do it. It's passable. There are no interviews with my airline. Just a simulator assessment which any EK pilot could pass. The CAAC medical is quite long and dubious but it's because they have no history on you. Subsequent medicals have been quite relaxed as long as you try to keep somewhat healthy.