PDA

View Full Version : M62 Closed - Lancashire isolated.

Trossie
2nd Mar 2018, 12:54
UK snow: M62 drivers stranded 'indefinitely' - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-43254836)

Planemike
2nd Mar 2018, 12:59
Yet more media "hype". I am in Lancashire between Bolton and Wigan. Cold and windy but very little snow and I doubt there would many problems in reaching either Liverpool or Southport. Lancashire isolated, I don't think so !!!

treadigraph
2nd Mar 2018, 13:01
Volunteers have been taking supplies to those trapped, including a new baby.

Why would a volunteer bring you a new baby cos you are stuck in snow... :}

chevvron
2nd Mar 2018, 14:21
Stops the Lancastrians fighting the Yorkists.

G-CPTN
2nd Mar 2018, 14:27
Last night there was no means of travelling from England to Scotland (or vice versa) as all roads were blocked nor were trains running - Scotland was cutoff.

ORAC
2nd Mar 2018, 14:35
Reminds of the old headline “Fog in Channel - Continent Isolated”....

WingNut60
2nd Mar 2018, 14:35
Last night there was no means of travelling from England to Scotland (or vice versa) as all roads were blocked nor were trains running - Scotland was cutoff.

.... where Hadrian failed??

Mr Mac
2nd Mar 2018, 14:53
Trossie
That is about 4 miles as the crow flies from us and we are at same height (1100ft) and the wind has been truly horrendous at over 60mph from the East. Blown all the snow off the fields and moors and into all the hollows, which happen to be the roads, and with the ice has result is grid lock. The army are around at the moment getting people out. Meanwhile those of us who live up here just get on with it. Dug out cars this morning and awaiting a friend with JCB to dig out lane which is filled to a depth of 3m and is 30m long, and I have reached the age that when I see a drift that big I tend to ask for help. The snow is not bad in South Lancashire / Greater Manchester until you get to the Pennines. Will be interested to see when M62 opens.

cheers
Mr Mac

G-CPTN
2nd Mar 2018, 15:11
Will be interested to see when M62 opens.

and the A1 in Northumberland (30 hours now).

Since I was a young child, there are 'traps' on local rural roads that attract snowdrifts up to the height of a double decker bus with the disadvantage that the number of people affected is quite low and they are used to being cut off from civilisation during bad weather.

Currently, the Inn where we spent our wedding night has been cut off since Tuesday with guests and staff unable to leave due to snowdrifts on the 10 mile road to our nearby town.

TURIN
2nd Mar 2018, 15:50
Currently, the Inn where we spent our wedding night has been cut off since Tuesday with guests and staff unable to leave due to snowdrifts on the 10 mile road to our nearby town.

Well, unless the beer runs out I can't see the problem. :)

G-CPTN
2nd Mar 2018, 15:55

The chef is also 'trapped'.

Pontius Navigator
2nd Mar 2018, 16:34
Winter 62/63 beer resupply failed and ready use stocks froze with caramel solidifying. Whitbread Tankard was never that good to start with.

4mastacker
2nd Mar 2018, 18:27
Winter 62/63 beer resupply failed and ready use stocks froze with caramel solidifying. Whitbread Tankard was never that good to start with.

Could have been worse. Could have been Watney's Red Barrel. :yuk::yuk:

2 sheds
3rd Mar 2018, 11:11
Whitbread Tankard was never that good to start with.

Had forgotten all about that - used to be known by its spoonerised title!

2 s

Pontius Navigator
3rd Mar 2018, 13:27
That was the other memorably bad beer I had, heated in Bahrein.

zed3
3rd Mar 2018, 16:55
Red Barrel wasn't bad when it was the only Brit. beer in Brussels in 1970. Then Bass arrived in 1971. The Red Lion, Queen Victoria and the Drum... anyone remember them? Anyway... back to isolated Lancashire.

rogerg
3rd Mar 2018, 17:08
I seem to remember it was at the Winston Churchill near the big roundabout in Paris at about the same time.

WilliumMate
3rd Mar 2018, 17:11

And made (I won't say brewed) in Lancashire. Wilsons in Manchester was the guilty party.

ian16th
3rd Mar 2018, 20:40
Red Barrel wasn't bad when it was the only Brit. beer in Brussels in 1970. Then Bass arrived in 1971. The Red Lion, Queen Victoria and the Drum... anyone remember them? Anyway... back to isolated Lancashire.
My memory has it labled Watney's Red.
The Barrel word wasn't used. It didn't improve the taste.

I was a frequent visitor from 1967 to 1976. We may have met .

zed3
4th Mar 2018, 08:25
ian16th... So far as I can remember it was Red Barrel and then Red. Were you in aviation out of interest?

UniFoxOs
4th Mar 2018, 08:28
I seem to remember it was at the Winston Churchill near the big roundabout in Paris at about the same time.

Was that the pub where the beermats had instructions on them on how to behave in an English pub?

Krystal n chips
4th Mar 2018, 08:36
And made (I won't say brewed) in Lancashire. Wilsons in Manchester was the guilty party.

You can't blame Wilson's here.

It was gaseous brown coloured fluid unfit for human consumption at best and lets remember from whence the sludge originated.....Lahndahn

Wilson's, on the other hand, was very nice ( well most of the time as it didn't really travel well as they say and thereafter was in the care of the pub landlord which in some cases was dubious at best ) but, the Mild and Bitter were pretty good overall.

One simply progressed to Boddy's thereafter, with the odd dalliance with Robinson's and even Marstons ( when desperate or with no other choice )