PDA

View Full Version : MS Flight Sim for IR Prep

Okavango
2nd Mar 2018, 11:49
Hi. Over the years I've generally steered clear of PC Flight Sim's as I've been VFR and aware of the issues of being drawn head down into the cockpit. I'm now prepping for IR training and I've been using MS Flight Sim (as well as RANT). I'm aware of the lack or realism with needle dip and landing etc though I've found MS Flight Sim quite useful for getting the scan going, general procedures and orientation on instruments alone. Due to my day job it's likely there will be weeks off during training though I reckon the PC sim will be good for keeping relatively current with procedures. How have others found it when used and has it kept things progressing or hindered training in any way?

rudestuff
2nd Mar 2018, 12:13
I spent a couple of grand on a top-spec gaming PC and flight controls. I figured I'd do the first three or four sessions in the SIM, then practice at home.

After 6 hours my instructor dropped the bombshell - I had covered everything I needed to know. The rest was just practice! In his opinion the IR is about 30 hours too long. Needless to say the PC has never been out of the box...
I spent my first thousand hours as a VFR pilot in awe of people with an IR - the well kept secret is that instrument flying is actually much easier!

rudestuff
2nd Mar 2018, 12:18
This is the best value for money simulator you can get.

wiggy
2nd Mar 2018, 13:34
spent my first thousand hours as a VFR pilot in awe of people with an IR - the well kept secret is that instrument flying is actually much easier!

Um... ..indeed it can appear to be a POP until you have to handle a genuine IFR day with departures in icing conditions ..and even on a heavy with nearly 20,000 hours under your belt and you are juggling slot times, holdover times etc it is not easy

But if you think being an an IFR pilot it is merely a case of flying a and tracking plus or minus 5 degrees on a good day ...fill your boots..but you are wrong...

rudestuff
2nd Mar 2018, 14:33
I didn't say an IR is just about tracking +/- 5° though, did I? Nope, I just checked...
This guy is training for the IR and I was sharing my personal experience of the process in order to provide encouragement. He's probably not going to need to de-ice or worry about slot times. If you did your initial IR in a heavy jet in IMC in icing conditions whilst single pilot - you've got my respect and admiration.
Comparing the Single Pilot IR to something he's more familiar with - flying a VFR light aircraft - it is arguably easier in many respects, Nav, comms and airspace spring to mind. My post was intended to encourage the OP, not undermine other airline pilots.

paco
2nd Mar 2018, 18:34
To answer the question - MS Flight Sim is the basis for many commercial flight sims, although it is kind of dated now (X-Plane 11 is better). However, for the purpose intended, getting used to scans, tracking, etc, it is a very cost-effective solution. 2004 would be good enough and you don't need an expensive PC to run it on.

phil

Okavango
2nd Mar 2018, 20:26
Thanks all and Phil in particular, much appreciated. 2004 is what I have and it seems to be working well.