PDA

View Full Version : 20 x the speed of sound??

Fliegenmong
1st Mar 2018, 22:16
Vladimir Putin boasts of Russia's unstoppable nuclear weapons - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-02/vladimir-putin-boasts-russias-unstoppable-nuclear-weapons/9500866)

Holy Hell!! .........

A response to the US withdrawal from a Cold War treaty banning missile defences? ... Hmm ... disturbing.....

Fliegenmong
1st Mar 2018, 22:19
Or here?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/putin-russia-has-nuclear-weapons-impossible-to-intercept/2018/03/01/0ffdca5a-1d8a-11e8-98f5-ceecfa8741b6_story.html?utm_term=.3516f9bd5ae6

?:confused::eek:

vapilot2004
2nd Mar 2018, 00:26
You gotta hand it to ole Vlad. He's set the stage to attack us from within and without. First step, install a radioactive president. Check.

Hydromet
2nd Mar 2018, 01:24
...has a higher range than Satan,...
Oh hell!

plus another few characters.

WhatsaLizad?
2nd Mar 2018, 02:22
You gotta hand it to ole Vlad. He's set the stage to attack us from within and without. First step, install a radioactive president. Check.

Not really. He's not that good. If Trump as POTUS was his goal, he lucked out with the Democratic offering that was geographically challenged enough that she couldn't find Wisconsin during the campaign.

She was scrounging to fill 250 person rooms during the home stretch. Her opponent was filling 10,000+ arenas.

tdracer
2nd Mar 2018, 03:54
Vapilot, are you really suggesting that Trump would hesitate for even a second to rain hell's fire on Russia if Russia attacked the US with nukes?
The very same Trump you seem to believe has to be held back to prevent a pre-emptive attack on North Korea?
Consistency doesn't appear to be your forte...

WhatsaLizad?
2nd Mar 2018, 04:30
tdracer,

TDS is strong with this one.

Fliegenmong
2nd Mar 2018, 14:46
'Y'All" went off topic real quick here.....was there -

A) A cold war treaty not to develop a missile defence system?

B) Did the US violate that treaty?

C) Putin now claims he has missiles too quick and too agile .... they can render the missile defence system redundant....

D) Is Putin Bullshitting?

E) If he ain't ....Is this not bought about by the US not honoring it's word?

F) If he has them....and my thoughts are you wouldn't go public if you didn't ....where does THAT leave us? ('Us' being the 'West')

Fliegenmong
2nd Mar 2018, 15:06
As an aside....when kim lil fat one fires off missiles over Japan.....why do the US not demonstrate their ability to 'take out' these Missiles? ('Collateral damage') cannot be an excuse.....show US strength...take out Kim lil fat ones missiles....the defence system is in place is it not?

Sallyann1234
2nd Mar 2018, 15:31
As an aside....when kim lil fat one fires off missiles over Japan.....why do the US not demonstrate their ability to 'take out' these Missiles? ('Collateral damage') cannot be an excuse.....show US strength...take out Kim lil fat ones missiles....the defence system is in place is it not?
I suggested that long ago in the NK thread - and was told that it either wasn't possible, or inadvisable in case they tried and failed.

funfly
2nd Mar 2018, 21:31
Putin is a very clever man. He is setting out his dominant position against a very weak West.
Message to Americans; if you really wanted a macho Rambo man to represent you you could have chosen someone like Action man Putin rather than podgy twitterface.

Lonewolf_50
2nd Mar 2018, 21:35
Putin is a very clever man. He is setting out his dominant position against a very weak West.
Message to Americans; if you really wanted a macho Rambo man to represent you you could have chosen someone like Action man Putin rather than podgy twitterface. Putin (1) wasn't born in the US, and (2) never entered in the primaries. :p
@Sallyann1234 As far as I can tell, nobody in the US or Japan is interested in defending random points in the ocean that Mr Kim shoots at to demonstrate his capabilities. But I do know that they are interested in collecting data and telemetry information ....

kkbuk
2nd Mar 2018, 22:04
Not really. He's not that good. If Trump as POTUS was his goal, he lucked out with the Democratic offering that was geographically challenged enough that she couldn't find Wisconsin during the campaign.

She was scrounging to fill 250 person rooms during the home stretch. Her opponent was filling 10,000+ arenas.
As did that epitome of sanity Caligula.

sitigeltfel
3rd Mar 2018, 06:23
Mach 20?

Pah!

My dog beats that when I take roast lamb out of the oven.

Ethel the Aardvark
3rd Mar 2018, 07:41
I guess the historical surrounding of Russia with US bases has not paid off. Maybe was seen as slightly aggressive. Might work on China I suppose.

Pontius Navigator
3rd Mar 2018, 14:31
Define Mach 20. It's not fast in Space.

Fliegenmong
3rd Mar 2018, 14:51

Dunno..fast enough to circumvent a missile defence system apparently....

Should we be worried?

Personally I am more concerned about how long the home brew is bubbling away...don't want an infection...but a missile that fast and agile...it could be launched and arrive before I've sterilised the bottles!!

Fliegenmong
3rd Mar 2018, 15:13
But I do know that they are interested in collecting data and telemetry information ....

Good point.....I hadn't thought of that.....

But now that info is gathered...let us blow the next one out of the sky to prove a point!!...no? ...

It does work right?...at least against North Korea?? right??

Mr Optimistic
4th Mar 2018, 12:04
An underwater drone targeting boomers would be an aggressive step. Fancy ICBMs dodging defences less so.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-army/2018/02/20/failed-missile-test-off-of-kauai-costs-130-million-3/

tdracer
4th Mar 2018, 19:46

For us rocket scientist types, we sometime refer to orbital velocity as ~Mach 17, and escape velocity as ~Mach 25. You are correct that Mach is somewhat meaningless when there is no atmosphere, but it makes for nice rule of thumb approximations.
That being said, something going Mach 20 where there is anything resembling an atmosphere is going to be glowing white hot - it might be hard to intercept but tracking it won't be a problem...

G-CPTN
4th Mar 2018, 19:59
So how do you calculate Mach when there is little or no atmosphere?

Wouldn't it be better to quote 'true speed' in something like mph or miles/sec?

Pontius Navigator
4th Mar 2018, 20:14
Tdracer, what you really mean is that in rocketry M=1000 kn

Mr Optimistic
4th Mar 2018, 20:29
From what I recall, many parameters of interest are functions of Mach number so makes sense if you are after heat flux, stagnation temperatures and so on.