PDA

View Full Version : Breaking News - Ferraris are fast cars!

Sallyann1234
1st Mar 2018, 16:15
He had said the 12 cylinder vehicle "accelerated uncontrollably" when he put his foot on the accelerator.

Ferrari death crash driver guilty of boy's death - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-43226196)

vapilot2004
1st Mar 2018, 19:49
The boy's death is a shame.

Reminds me of the Audi 'brake debacle' back in the 1990s. Well before the NTSB sussed it out, I was sure I knew precisely what the cause was when I heard one complainant exclaim, "the harder I pressed the brake pedal, the faster the car went".

DType
1st Mar 2018, 20:48
Always VERY wary when taking youngsters for a trip in the TVR, even though I've had it 20 years and haven't hit anything YET.

UniFoxOs
2nd Mar 2018, 07:58
The defence had blamed the crash on a pre-existing defect in the Ferrari.

Yes, the driver. No seatbelts and a 40mph impact they should have been walking away from it.

alfaman
2nd Mar 2018, 08:28
Yes, the driver. No seatbelts and a 40mph impact they should have been walking away from it. Indeed, I suspect the lack of seatbelts may have been the defining factor. The driver has ultimate responsibility for ensuring everyone in the vehicle is safely strapped in - & strapped in, perhaps a different outcome.

sitigeltfel
2nd Mar 2018, 08:59
Although it won't stop idiots such as this from losing it in fast cars, insurance companies should take a closer look at who is allowed to drive them. Simply loading up premiums is not enough, they should ensure that owners and drivers have passed a course of instruction, on track and in normal road conditions, before they give cover.

I "babysat" a Gallardo Spyder over the summer for a friend and took it for weekly outings while he was away. Although one of my cars is a Merc SL, this was an entirely different beast and I was well aware that it would bite if mishandled.
Initially it was fun but soon became annoying, especially having to remember to raise the nose at speed bumps. It was also a Gendarme magnet and every journey meant keeping an out for them.

I had rashly volunteered to drive it back to Scotland for him in November but two days before the journey some gremlins got into the electrics and he decided to have it transported home instead. Phew!

RAT 5
2nd Mar 2018, 14:56
In the photo of the crashed car sitting in the fence it's hard to see if that is a broken shattered windscreen or air bags? The airbags are not very obvious, but must have been fitted and should have deployed. It did say the car flipped. Was the victim killed by being thrown out?

DaveReidUK
2nd Mar 2018, 15:15
Was the victim killed by being thrown out?

Do you mean was he thrown out, or was it being thrown out that killed him?

The first is answered in the OP's link, it would be reasonable to assume that the answer to the second is also "yes".

RAT 5
2nd Mar 2018, 18:45
Indeed, Dave, missed it. Guess the airbags were rendered useless on empty seats, or possibly exacerbated the ejection.

sitigeltfel
26th Mar 2018, 13:52
Cobden has been sentenced to eighteen months in jail, banned from driving for two years and ordered to resit an extended driving test.

The Nip
26th Mar 2018, 14:00
Cobden has been sentenced to eighteen months in jail, banned from driving for two years and ordered to resit an extended driving test.

Two years driving ban is not enough. You can read of many instances when driving bans are not enough in many cases. I am sure the public would like to see longer bans.

Andy_S
26th Mar 2018, 14:21

I assume the 18 months will turn out to be more like 10-12 months.

Sallyann1234
26th Mar 2018, 14:31
The car was allegedly wort 1.5 million.
Depending upon the insurance limitations, he may not get that back..

ShyTorque
26th Mar 2018, 15:01
Indeed, I suspect the lack of seatbelts may have been the defining factor. The driver has ultimate responsibility for ensuring everyone in the vehicle is safely strapped in - & strapped in, perhaps a different outcome.

I understand that if a passenger is fourteen years old or less the driver is responsible in law for ensuring seatbelts are worn. Above the age of fourteen it's actually the passenger's responsibility.

Chronus
26th Mar 2018, 18:48
Didn`t the parents of this poor boy know the purpose of a ride in such a vehicle with a driver who the judge said was showing off. They will have to live with their decision for the rest of their lives. Whatever the car was worth can never be anywhere near the value of a life. As far as I am concerned it was used as a weapon to take a life and that is all that it is, a weapon not a car. The driver should never be allowed to get behind the steering wheel of another car, ever, not even a milk cart.

sitigeltfel
27th Mar 2018, 14:31
New Ferrari.....moron at the wheel.. inevitable outcome...

Aston Villa player's brother-in-law crashed new Ferrari - BBC News (http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-43558486)

:ugh:

matkat
27th Mar 2018, 17:54
The car was allegedly wort 1.5 million.
Depending upon the insurance limitations, he may not get that back..

It was not his car but he was storing it, the car was owned by RM auctions and was due to be sold the following week.

G-CPTN
27th Mar 2018, 18:23
Was he insured?

He might have to find a lot of money . . .

irrespective of his liabilities to the boy's family.

sitigeltfel
28th Mar 2018, 09:57
Was he insured?

He might have to find a lot of money . . .

irrespective of his liabilities to the boy's family.

I would surmise that the manner in which he drove the car would fall outside the cover any insurance policy would provide for.