PDA

View Full Version : The Met Office - are they serious?

ZeBedie
27th Feb 2018, 21:55
Just when the weather gets interesting and quite a few people need to know what's going on, they downgrade their website with this:

Due to unprecedented levels of demand on our website we have temporarily replaced some of the less visited pages and unfortunately are currently unable to provide our usual weather and observation maps.

cattletruck
28th Feb 2018, 11:34
One wonders how much of the demand are actually real users and not bots, scrapers, DoS attacks, etc.

Although querying their DNS record it does appear they are doing the right thing and using Akamai CDN as a front-end, hopefully they have WAF policies on and tuned it correctly to filter out the crud mentioned above.

Zeus
28th Feb 2018, 12:38
And the "less visited pages" seem to be the more popular ones such as the rainfall radar, which gives a much more accurate picture of when to anticipate snow than the local forecast

It would have been better to give a standard "high call volume" response.

B Fraser
28th Feb 2018, 19:52
Just when the weather gets interesting and quite a few people need to know what's going on, they downgrade their website with this:

They should have seen it coming......

mothminor
28th Feb 2018, 20:39
They should have seen it coming......
Sadly I don`t think they look out of the window any more :)

Mr Optimistic
28th Feb 2018, 20:48
Netweather does the job.

ZeBedie
28th Feb 2018, 21:23
All the other weather sites are coping fine, including some with very small budgets - x/c weather, for example.

G-CPTN
28th Feb 2018, 21:50
How do you translate mm of precipitation into depth of snow?

Mr Optimistic
28th Feb 2018, 22:28
They used to reckon 10 inches of snow equalled 1 inch of rain. How wet the snow has to be, dunno. Still that's what they said.

G-CPTN
28th Feb 2018, 22:32
Thanks - that makes some sort of sense based on the last couple of days weather.

ZeBedie
1st Mar 2018, 09:01
Now the Met Office web site has stopped displaying their severe weather warnings due to too much traffic. Utterly inexcusable.

KelvinD
1st Mar 2018, 09:42
ZeBedie: Maybe it was something you said. I have had no problems with the site at all, including the weather warnings etc.

Zeus
1st Mar 2018, 09:51
I see the weather warnings. I also see lots of adverts.
Thought the Met Office was a government organisation and funded by the taxpayer not Lloyds Bank!