PDA

View Full Version : The Haves and the Havenots.

Dan_Brown
26th Feb 2018, 10:23
Friday evening a homeless man died in a doorway at Chelsford. The OAT that evening was minus 2c.

The Authorites have put his death down to "unexplained". I wonder if hypothermia crossed the minds of these mindless morons. If it was one of them on the street you would never have heard the end of it.

WhT sort of society are we living in? Civilised?

TWT
26th Feb 2018, 10:33
He was ill and had throat cancer as well according to this article

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/homeless-man-who-good-loyal-12080428

But regardless of his afflictions, the cold is 'picking them off'. Sad state of affairs in a so-called first world country. And it's not just the UK where this happens. :suspect:

Tankertrashnav
26th Feb 2018, 10:48
Drop in centre in Plymouth has made the decision to stay open all night while the current cold spell lasts. All manned by volunteers of course. As one of them said, the alternative will be seeing people die on the streets.

TURIN
26th Feb 2018, 11:12
-2c in Manchester last night. Quite a few sleeping rough.
I do not know what the answer is. But in a nation as wealthy as ours should it really be happening in 2018?

cattletruck
26th Feb 2018, 11:25
Someone had left unattended luggage just outside the train station right next to the homeless man that regularly squats on the footpath. They didn't close the train station, they just put 4 witches-hats around the suspect luggage. It was an absurd sight.

Sad the amount of quiet begging hours this homeless man puts in the area, he's outlasted many before him (some of them were just shonks), a few of our staff have taken to spending some time with him, although it doesn't appear to be have changed anything.

Wyler
26th Feb 2018, 11:32
It is far from straightforward.
There will always be a small percentage who will never 'conform'. It could be due to mental health issues, addiction, offending or, more likely, a combination of all of that.
From my own experience in the Charity sector, you can throw all sorts at some individuals but they will not, or cannot, adapt and change their situations.
It is tragic.
What I find disgusting is the way Councils play 'ping pong' with some of the most vulnerable. They come up with ways to send people into neighbouring boroughs on the flimsiest of reasons i.e not born here.
Some of the Council accommodation for those who do want to come off the streets would be condemned by the RSPCA.
I accept that Councils are strapped for cash but their treatment of some of the poorest is inhumane.
It is a horrible and complicated problem across the country. Part of the solution is in the volunteer sector. Newcastle has some fantastic 'hubs' that make a big impact.
Money alone will not solve it.
Another point, a lot of the 'havenots' are not the stereotypical tracksuit brigade. A lot of them are in their 50s and 60s. Jobs lost, relationships broken down. An increasing number of females as well. In the charity I support we look after around 120 people a day. Less than 5% on the streets, 60% over 30, 10% non British and 15% over 70. A very mixed bag.

pax britanica
26th Feb 2018, 11:47
Well one way is to make the super Haves pay their fair share.

In my part of surrey the top band in council tax is about £3500 butt hat covers everything from my neighbour who has a slightly bigger house than me up to a Royal Ascot meeting week home owned by a ME ruling family valued at something like £22m . In our borough there are hundreds of homes valued at 4m and up as is the case in adjoining areas like Virginia Water in Berks .

How on earth can councils plead poverty when they allow the mega rich to pay the same council tax as people owning very nice houses but which are still straightforward large family homes.

I draw a pension now and while I cannot complain I get incensed that in one road in Windlesham there are about 40 properties all worth more than £5m who pay just £500 pa council tax than I do .

Assuming Council tax is about 0.5% of a properties value for almost all of us why isnt that extended upwards . If it was then just the two examples I have quoted would raise almost $1m every year which would make a big addition to the social welfare capability in specially stretched times like we have now with the bad weather.

I know that in some care of homelessness their is nothing much can be done but in many others people are treated as though their predicament is their fault and they are treated in a way that shames UK Society

ImageGear
26th Feb 2018, 12:38
It's much more complicated than money. In my experience with working with street kids, they are right at the source of the breakdown in society. We provided beds, a roof, warmth, food, even basic education as a start to entering a school but almost nothing that we could provide would discourage them from leaving the shelter after dinner and going to sleep with others in a storm water drain. Even when the outside temperature was approaching zero.

It seemed to me that we just could not reach the inner child with any form of emotional trust or care. The breakdown in core family life, values and role models is where the distrust, emotional bonds, sense of self-worth and value disappear. Recovery from this trauma is a long and arduous road which often later leads to the edge of life.

IG

Pontius Navigator
26th Feb 2018, 12:59
Pax B, in principle those in richer homes should pay more, but there is a difference between someone who can spend £22m today and someone whose home has risen in value over many years reaching £4m.

The latter resident may be property rich, cash poor.

The Government gets its cut from that £22m but the council gets nowt. There may lie an answer.

racedo
26th Feb 2018, 18:05
The Government gets its cut from that £22m but the council gets nowt. There may lie an answer.

In your dreams does it, buy it through a trust, limited company or various different guises and Govt gets nothing.

megan
27th Feb 2018, 05:57
Folks are dying in their homes of cold because they can't afford the fuel costs.

Cold homes caused 9,000 deaths last winter, study suggests - BBC News (http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-35862763)

ethicalconundrum
27th Feb 2018, 06:25
How much do I/we/you/collective owe those less fortunate?

I need a number expressed as a percent of my income/assets which is sufficient to solve this.

Societies since Greco-Roman times have struggled with this. Some one tell me how much is enough? My experience has been that whatever is afforded to those less fortunate is never enough. 10%? 20? 30?, 50? Further, I need to know who decides how much I/we/you are supposed to give? Is the an answer for some centralized authority? And - how much of my tithe gets diverted along the way?

These are not rhetorical questions.

ShotOne
27th Feb 2018, 06:58
Valid question e c. There's also a practical corollary, what % can you make people pay before it leads to a practical reduction in the amount received. In my own experience when the take rises towards the 50% mark people start to take steps such as part-time working or cancelling investment plans as they no longer perceive the game worth the candle.

ethicalconundrum
27th Feb 2018, 08:36
For giggles sake, lets say my take-home is $200,000/year. I give a bit less than half to the 'needy', leaving me ~$120,000. My tax bite is ~30% to fund the essentials of society. Which leaves me with $84,000-ish of my original $200,000 earnings.

Sounds to me like the 'needy' get approx the same as me for zero contribution. (them $80k, me $84k) I don't know about others, but I'm going to stop contributing when the take rises about about 10-15%. That's my comfort level. YMMV

Saintsman
27th Feb 2018, 08:56
Not all, but probably the majority of the ‘homeless’ are there through choice. They don’t want to work, but expect to receive money so that they can sit around and drink and smoke all day. If you try to help them, you will be taken advantage of and the problem will remain. Society can be caring, but if they don’t care, is it really reasonable to ask people for more?

G-CPTN
27th Feb 2018, 09:02
I'm going to stop contributing when the take rises about about 10-15%.

Isn't that what you should tip a waitress?

The Nip
27th Feb 2018, 09:27
This is a story from the Telegraph on 25 Feb.

“Beggars on streets are not homeless, they're fraudsters, say police”

Sergeant Phil Priestley said: "There are no rough sleepers in Ely - all of the individuals that have been seen begging recently have been catered for with regards to housing and support.

"We do not want people to be misled, because it can be a lucrative opportunity.

"It is natural to feel for anyone who appears to be living on the streets or who seems to be affected by hardship.

"We urge anyone who wants to assist the issue of homelessness to donate to registered charity who will take a coordinated approach to tackling the problem.

"If you do feel moved to give something - offer food or a warm drink by all means - but please do not offer money

It is talking about Ely in Cambs.

skydiver69
27th Feb 2018, 11:27
From what I have seen in my hometown there are fake and genuine homeless people. The fake homeless take a sleeping bag and rucksack out everyday when they go begging as props to pretend that they are homeless, then go home to a flat paid for by housing benefit. There are however an increasing number of genuinely homeless people living on the streets. I'd say that benefits changes, council cuts, mental health problems, drugs and alcohol all have contributed to the increase.

funfly
27th Feb 2018, 11:59
I like the idea someone had of leaving pullovers in shop doorways for anyone to take, hope these are not taken advantage of.

anchorhold
27th Feb 2018, 12:12
I am glad that the issue of homelessness has been flagged up here as with the cold weather it was on my mind. Infact ahead of this cold weather I equired of a emergency night shelter run by a multi faith group to find they had closed for the winter.

Now the problem with homelessness is that it is so complex. But first to respond to The Nip's comments, on giving money to the homeless. I came accross exactly the same situation where the area police commander and the deputy mayor who through local media stated that rather than giving money to beggers they should give to homelessness charities, to add to this was the myth that beggers were rarelly homeless and would only spend the money on drugs or drink.

I protested through local media, that money given to charities was unlikely to ever reach these individuals in need, particularly as at the time it was just before Christmas. I also gave the example of when the author C.S Lewis and a friend were walking down the road and came upon a street person who reached out to them for help. While his friend kept walking, Lewis stopped and proceeded to empty his wallet. When they resumed their journey, his friend asked, "What are you doing giving him your money like that? Don't you know he's just going to go squander all that on ale?" Lewis paused and replied, "That's all I was going to do with it."

To add to this we live in a multicultural society, and it is not for the place for the police to dictate to others if they should give to the homeless or beggers and likewise make judgement on others.

A few years ago I was in the city late at night and needed some cash, so I entered a lobby of a bank which had cash machines and nearly tripped over a homeless guy in a sleeping bag. I appologised, he didn't ask for money, but asked him if I could get him a hot drink from MacDonalds, which he accepted.

As the weeks and months went by, I would regularly stop to talk to him, he knew I wasn't going to give him money, but would give him what support he needed in addition to the support he was getting from his case worker and probation office. While I didn't ever really ask how he had got into this position, I did know he had trained as an electrician, been in prison numerous times, and having been on heroin he was now on methodone. He was also taking 'Black Mamba', and drinking high strengtth lager. Whever we met at his 'pitch' outside the bank, I was alway impressed with how generous people were to him buying him food and giving him money. Things improved and he was allocated a room in a small hostel run by the quakers. This gave him a address and identity. The address was important as this allowed him to claim benefits, also it allowed me to help get a library card and put him on the library computing course, as a thirty seven year old he did not know how to use a computer or the internet, which was essential for appllying for long term housing and benefits. A few weeks before Christmas I met this guy in his usual place siting outside the bank on on the pavement. I had gone to ask if I could buy him something at Christmas that might improve his life, I sort of expected him to want a hat, some gloves or toiletries, but oddly he asked for a diary, wallplaner and pens because in the new year he wanted to plan to get a flat, a job and to start seeing his children again. However as I was talking to him, a PCSO turned up and told he could not sit on the pavement, I had never hear of such a law. He said he would arrest him, I told the PCSO he didn't have the powers of arrest, to which he said he would call for back up and to make an arrest. At that stage I there was an exchange of words and I sat on the pavement and said I would have to be arrested. In the end the police back up never arrived. I only saw this guy a few more times after Christmas and he dissapeared, I concluded that he had either sorted his life out or died. After a while I contacted his case worker who could not discuss his client, but said he had sorted his life out.

I think I learnt alot about homelessness from the above example, the vicious circle of no home, no job, no job no home and the loss of identity through not having an address, leading to issues such as not having a bank account or access to housing and benefits. goverment cutbacks this is getting much worse. This is all compounded by the fact it is now illegal to squat in empty residential properties, universal credit and DWP sanctions. To give an example regarding rough sleepers, one city council closed down three hostels under goverment cutbacks, leading to a 64% increase in rough sleeping according to a credible local charity.

Now to address those who think homeless people have got thereselves into this, we all make small and big bad decisions in our life, we are just fortunate that we did not end up homeless. If someone has chosen to smoke all their life and develops lung cancer we still treat them, rather than say it their own fault. As for charitable donations to homeless charities, you never really know where it is spent, on who and what percent goes on those in need. Many charities are run as corporate organisations, badly run and really not in touch with the problems of homelessness. I have seen two homelessness charities fold and another think will fold. In one case the charity was run by a CofE vicar, who paid himself 90% of the charities income, his income being £48,000 p/a and relying on volunteers for the other staff. Sudenly he was struck off by his bishop and the charity folded. I asked for an explaination from the diocese as I felt there was a public interest, they refused to tell me. Three years on I discovered the vicar in question through a chuch court was accussed of rape and an affair with a married woman.

In repect of homelessnesss, I think we all need to take a step back in terms of policy and effective ways to help the homeless. The homeless are still our neighbours and human beings. Politicians need to up their game, we have not really moved on since a conservative minister stated 'the homeless are people you step over on the way to the opera.

Finally a question, I have often been asked this, how can the UK as a rich country priorotise foreign aid higher than sorting out the homeless problem

sitigeltfel
27th Feb 2018, 12:12
I like the idea someone had of leaving pullovers in shop doorways for anyone to take, hope these are not taken advantage of.

Charities don't like stuff being left in their doorways out of hours, it just gets stolen overnight by others.

There are big bins in car parks here for clothing donations and are supposed to be secure. It doesn't stop Romanians stuffing their five year old kids in the slots to nick the good stuff, getting trapped in the process and requiring the fire service to cut them out. The parents scarper and later claim their "naughty" kid back from social services. Being below the age of responsibility the kid gets away with it and the charity gets a big bill for the repair of the bin.

Wyler
27th Feb 2018, 12:56
I really think we need to get out of the mindset that money will solve the problem, all people want to be helped and it is the Governments fault.
As has been said, this is a very complex issue and there is no easy answer.
I have been volunteering at a charity for over 2 years and am currently the operations manager. We serve 40,000 meals a year and provide clothing. 100% of our income goes on the service users, no wages and no expenses.
I have seen the same people time and time again. We give them clothes/sleeping bags etc and they sell them for alcohol/drugs or both.
We put them in contact with organisations for benefits/housing/education/medical/dental. Sometimes they get all the way to accommodation/clean and even in training. Then they are found slumped in a doorway, having gone back to square one. The 'success' rate is 2%. That is a fact of life and I have talked to a lot of other charities across the country.
The fact is there is a lot of help out there, mainly in the charitable sector, but you are dealing with individuals from chaotic backgrounds or who have succumbed to addiction or mental illness. Criminality goes hand in hand with this lifestyle and it is a vicious circle. You can give them all the help in the world but their behaviour is so ingrained that they are incapable of change. Many of them are actually content with the way they live their lives.
I will never give money to anyone begging because you don't know what it will be spent on. I always give food or drink.
Councils can only do so much and are short of cash but some of their behaviour is dreadful. The Government has nothing like the powers that people think it has and is one of the most inefficient, non joined up, organisations we have.
Ultimately it comes down to charities but there is only so much you can do with certain people who are set in their destructive ways.

Andy_S
27th Feb 2018, 13:03
I saw this story in the news this morning:

Brussels to force homeless into shelters during cold snap - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-43202795)

I add this to the debate for two reasons.

Firstly, because it demonstrates that homelessness is not unique to the UK. In this case, it is in the capital of Europe.

Secondly, because it's quite clear from the story that some of these homeless people are refusing assistance.

I agree with those who say that both the reasons behind and the solutions to homelessness are complicated.

Blacksheep
27th Feb 2018, 13:25
We had homeless people around in the fifties when I was a kid. We called them "Tramps" in those days and they generally slept in the green belt edges of town to avoid being picked up as "vagrants" and charged - as they would be if they tried rough sleeping in town. By the 1960s when vagrancy was tolerated they had moved into town. When in London in a group of Halton Apprentices one winter's night, we headed for the Union Jack Club to bed down while we waited for the morning train. In the passageway from the underground at Waterloo station we came upon a deceased rough sleeper. The policeman who attended told us they found one like him, somewhere or other, every night in the winter.

So, there's nothing new about rough sleepers and, as has already been pointed out, many of them refuse to be taken off the streets into shelters. A sad situation but it seems to be a part of the human condition. :(

ethicalconundrum
27th Feb 2018, 23:06
Torquay photo-shaming 'reduced beggar numbers' - BBC News (http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-devon-43210305)

Which one's are we supposed to be aiding?

racedo
27th Feb 2018, 23:15
Now to address those who think homeless people have got thereselves into this, we all make small and big bad decisions in our life, we are just fortunate that we did not end up homeless.

Had a discussion today regarding stats that showed 34% of people have no money in their bank account and live hand to mouth ALL the time.

I asked what was difference between Guy in suit in well paid job walking down street and homeless guy begging as he passes.

Colleagues shocked when I said for most people it is just 3 pay checks from one to the other.

Dan_Brown
28th Feb 2018, 00:17
Had a discussion today regarding stats that showed 34% of people have no money in their bank account and live hand to mouth ALL the time.

I asked what was difference between Guy in suit in well paid job walking down street and homeless guy begging as he passes.

Colleagues shocked when I said for most people it is just 3 pay checks from one to the other.

How very true, especially your last paragraph.

Tankertrashnav
28th Feb 2018, 00:56
As Blacksheep said there is nothing new in having homeless people in Britain. Have a read of Orwell's Down and Out in Paris and London (specifically the second part) to see what life was like for a tramp in those days. His description of conditions in the "spikes" as the night shelters were called will make you glad you have a clean, warm bed to go to tonight!

anchorhold
28th Feb 2018, 16:30
There was a news item on BBC radio four, the today programme on homelessness in Edinburgh. Two rough sleepers have died in the last year and during this cold snap there is no more capacity in hostels for rough sleepers.

What is amazing is the local authority does not feel they have a duty of care or any plan for rough sleepers during cold speels, it is simply criminal or should be.

Likewise, having been brought up in the Cof E, I will never understand why the clergy can not open up church halls or churches if the local council can not be bothered with rough sleepers. On this point, sometime ago I wrote to my local bishop and asked why his cathedral could not be allocated as a severe weather emergency shelter, based on the fact the cathedral had benefited from millions in national lottery heritage funding. As you can probably guess, he was not prepared to consider it, a case of not practicing what you preach.

Going back to the radio four converversation, again as on here there was a discussion about if some people want to sleep rough, I suspect for some that is choice, but why would you chose to sleep in a doorway and be urinated on. I suspect the answer that these people chose to sleep rough rather than in a hostel is down to not wanting to sleep in a dormatory with others with a variety of issues or simply have mental health problems which outreach workers need to address.

Dan_Brown
28th Feb 2018, 17:09
Ancherhold

Why dont they open places of worship for shelter? That is a very good question.

wiggy
28th Feb 2018, 20:56
FWIW France being France and being socialist and all that there is an official “Big Cold”/“Grand Froid” plan aimed in part at opening up municipally run facilities such as sports centres as shelters for the homeless (sans abri), the plan itself being triggered by official figures...one hopes Eric would have approved....

Les trois quarts de la France en plan Grand Froid, les autorités en alerte (http://www.lemonde.fr/planete/article/2018/02/27/le-plan-grand-froid-active-sur-les-trois-quarts-du-pays_5262924_3244.html)

anchorhold:

[ I suspect the answer that these people chose to sleep rough rather than in a hostel is down to not wanting to sleep in a dormatory with others with a variety of issues or simply have mental health problems which outreach workers need to address.

Yep, I rather suspect you are right.

racedo
28th Feb 2018, 22:09
Ancherhold

Why dont they open places of worship for shelter? That is a very good question.

Unfair comment because when you dig behind the group who open and run voluntary night shelters you will find a high proportion of people doing it at Methodist / Catholic / COE.

The lets just open your church idea begs the question of why council don't open their offices.

The issue for many homeless is not a "Home", it is an inability to cope as a result of many things including alcohol / drugs / leaving military / sexual abuse / divorce / addiction etc etc etc.

Many are not unsurprisingly suffering from a Mental illness and there is Zero help or assistance.

G-CPTN
28th Feb 2018, 23:14
Out of interest, were things 'better' when we had mental asylums? or did patients have to be 'sectioned' before they could gain access?

I had a period when I was receiving psychological 'help' and had one meeting in a hospital behind a succession of locked doors - it was frightening (for me).

I will endorse the lack of assistance. At one stage I had a crisis and was rebuffed by my CPN (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community_psychiatric_nurse) who would only see me by appointment - several weeks ahead.
I took myself to the largest A&E hospital to be told that there were no acute psychological facilities (no staff trained in psychology/psychiatry) and the only access was through my CPN.

What I needed was someone to talk through things with me . . .

It would have been so easy to have taken desperate measures for my state of mind . . .

Subsequently, my CPN moved away and was not replaced and the facility was closed down.

Dee Vee
1st Mar 2018, 00:35
Folks are dying in their homes of cold because they can't afford the fuel costs.

Australia is the same, we have the highest energy costs in the world and politicians who bring it up as a problem are shutdown to appease the private enterprises who have jacked up our prices so much over recent years.

h t t p s : / / www.sbs.com.au/news/costly-power-to-kill-aussies-this-summer

Last winter we had the worst flu season on record, and the media totally ignored the root cause (people unable to afford to keep warm) and now all around the world the current flu is being called the Australian Flu.

Octane
1st Mar 2018, 03:28
Hello G-CPTN,

One of my best friends experienced the same as you. He was going through an acute crisis and knew he desperately needed immediate help. He got himself to hospital to be told the same as you, "it doesn't work like that"... He told them he'd be back within an hour.

He drove to the nearest high bridge, stood on the railing and called the Police saying he was going to jump. They came and took him straight back to the hospital he'd just left...

Sadly, society doesn't cope with mental illness at all well. I feel for the poor souls sleeping out every night...:sad::{

krismiler
1st Mar 2018, 08:28
https://youtu.be/ZGC-QvbZ2Vo

Dan_Brown
1st Mar 2018, 10:40
Racedo

Point taken. Yes correct, councils, sports stadiams, halls of all discriptions etc., should be openned up in this weather. By the time councils and govenment stop passing the buck and something is done, a large percentage of these people will be dead. Even when these retards finally agree to help the homeless from freezing to death, winter will be over. Not this year but years down the line.

My guess is, for every begger killed off in this weather, is one less problem for the authorities to have deal with. Cynical? When they show a little more compassion I will remain cynical.

Still not as bad as certain countries in Africe though. There families have been known to deliberately cripple children. Cripples bring in more money. They have also been known see to it, elders are hit by cars, for the blood money.

DType
1st Mar 2018, 12:17
When we opened our church to the homeless, we always had to do a very thorough search for contaminated needles before the toddlers/creche/Sunday school turned up.

sitigeltfel
1st Mar 2018, 14:44
Last winter we had the worst flu season on record, and the media totally ignored the root cause (people unable to afford to keep warm) and now all around the world the current flu is being called the Australian Flu.

It is a myth that you gets colds or flu simply because it is cold, you can only get these infections from someone who is carrying them. The viruses survive better in cold weather but an eskimo who had no contact with others would never be infected.

racedo
1st Mar 2018, 18:42
Sadly, society doesn't cope with mental illness at all well. I feel for the poor souls sleeping out every night...:sad::{

Talking this through recently with a colleague regarding someone who is off for various reasons. Company mantra is 1 in 3 will suffer some type of Mental issue.

Person was shocked when said double it and add to orignal number, she shocked as I had just included everyone in company.

I indicated that everybody will suffer at least one if not more of bereavement, marraige, separation, child birth, child death, miscarraige, anxiety, stress, divorce, moving house, death of pet, bullying, alcohol, redundancy, Illness, job loss, job gain.................... etc etc.

Foe some it my be just one for others its 3-4 in a row that breaks them.

People hide and pretend or think they will work through it because to highlight it seems weak.

Lets stop pretending and be open and honest that people suffer from Mental Illnesses.

I know when person mentioned returns, if they return I will just say "Welcome back, really nice to see you back".

I know a year ago I started with a company where someone working for me was working crazy hours, I stopped it by sending them home on time and confiscated their laptop when I realise sometimes they worked from home. Also told some people constantly asking for stuff from them ........... NO.

Person struggled with this happening as initially believe it was just for a couple of weeks, flavour of the month / make an impression. Took a couple of months until they realised I meant it.

anchorhold
2nd Mar 2018, 07:55
Following an earlier comment, I accept that some christian churches and multi faith groups do good work in respect of emegency night shelters, but I know of two two emergency night shelters that have closed in the last week until next winter.

As the the problems of discarded needs, no doubt the NHS could provid these. It is just a case of managing the problems.

I have to say I don't think we should depend on faith groups who should not being carrying a task that the local authority is responsible for and bound to do so by law.

The cocept in France of the Big Cold pop up night sheltrs which open at times such as now, and sport centres strike me as a brilliant idea as they are owned by the local authority, They are the best option as they are warm, and have shower facilities, and usually cooking facilities. All that would be needed is is some camp beds, pillows, duvets and staff.

The bigger picture of homelessness is the UK housing crisis, which like brexit is not though out. We keep hearing that we need more houses to be built, yet politions never any consider how we could use are housing more efficiently, here are a few examples.

(a)A retired couple live in a five bedroom house, their children have left, they sell their house for £500,000, and buy a two bedroom house for £300,000, by downsizing the freem up more accomodation, in doing so they have to pay HMCR £9000 in stamp duting. Why not simply make a rule for people over sixty downsizing are exempt from stamp duty.

(b) I know of a small block of flats belonging to a housing association for the over fifties, it is in a village, the nearest city is seven miles away, there is no doctors surgegy or post office and the only shop is a coop. The problem is for some over fifty fives it is not ideal, hence there have been a couple of flats empty for over a year. Why can the housing association be a bit more flexible and let the empty flats to responsible tounger people, such as nurses which would benefit the other residents.

(c) The Church of England talks about the housing crisis, yet prefers to invest in shopping centres rather than social housing.

Finally, there has just been a media item about a rough sleeper, despite being born in the UK considers himself as a refugee in his own country!!!!!!

anchorhold
3rd Mar 2018, 09:38
Well it was going to happen.

A homeless man has been found dead near a church as temperatures plummet. The body was discovered inside a tent near St Swithun’s Church in Retford, Lincolnshire, on Tuesday morning. The deceased, known locally as Ben, is believed to have been sleeping rough for a while in the area. He was found as layers of ice and snow covered parts of the UK this week. Scout leader Hazel Newstead, who lives in the area, said that locals have been left ‘deeply saddened’ by the tragedy.

Read more: Homeless man found dead in tent as snow covers UK | Metro News (http://metro.co.uk/2018/03/01/homeless-man-found-dead-tent-snow-covers-uk-7352954/?ito=cbshare)

Dan_Brown
5th Mar 2018, 13:15
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/premier-inn-accused-of-turning-away-homeless-people-during-freezing-uk-weather/ar-BBJSEWg?li=BBoPWjQ

Where's Lenny H when you need him?