PDA

View Full Version : "Don't tell him Pike!"

BEagle
24th Feb 2018, 20:08
That famous episode of Dad's Army is on again tonight (Sat 24th Feb) at 20:30 GMT on BBC2....:ok:

isaneng
24th Feb 2018, 20:22
Thanks!

'R' is enabled.

Lyneham Lad
24th Feb 2018, 20:24
That famous episode of Dad's Army is on again tonight

Good grief... :eek: :zzz:

NutLoose
24th Feb 2018, 21:00
Watched it again for the gawd knows how many times

Herod
24th Feb 2018, 21:29
Likewise, but it still made me laugh.

Tankertrashnav
25th Feb 2018, 00:15
With the late Philip Madoc who reluctantly accepted that no matter what role he ever played he would always be thought of as the U Boat captain in Dads Army. Was very good as the detective in the series "A Mind to Kill".

ian16th
25th Feb 2018, 08:21
With the late Philip Madoc who reluctantly accepted that no matter what role he ever played he would always be thought of as the U Boat captain in Dads Army. Was very good as the detective in the series "A Mind to Kill".
I was lucky enough to be able to receive the BBC Wales signal at the time of 'Poems and Pints'.

Besides Philip, the show included his wife Ruth and a young lad called Max Boyce.

His cameo in 'Porridge', where he had an 'Enormous sexual appetite' was also rather good.

Buster15
25th Feb 2018, 11:37
Watched it again for the gawd knows how many times

A true classic in every sense. I think it was the brilliant timing that the characters possessed as well as the scripts that made it so outstanding.
Arthur Lower to me was quite brilliant and such a shame about his drinking. I well remember him as the voice in the Mister Man cartoon series as I read the books to my grandchildren. A true legend. RIP Arthur.

Nige321
25th Feb 2018, 11:50
This one...! :p

jimjim1
25th Feb 2018, 12:21
Thanks for the pointer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Deadly_Attachment

Original air date Wednesday 31/10/73 6.50pm
(recorded Friday 22/6/73)

PDR1
25th Feb 2018, 12:50
One of the two classic call-response gags of all time, the other being the one from Doctor in the house:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVWjAeAa52o

I actually tend to remember Philip Madoc as Magua in "Last of the Mohecans", or as David Lloyd George, or perhaps as the cartoon-pastiche apartheid-ere south-efrican who says that south-efrican TV can't be coloured or even blek and white - just white...

If it comes to comic timing I think the best would have been the introduction in front iof the curtains of Mr Andrew Preview on Morcombe and Wise, where he says "I'll just get my baton <pause> it's in chicago". That pause was precisely the right length, even though the scene (and indeed Previn's whole performance on the show) was unrehearsed.

PDR

BigDotStu
25th Feb 2018, 14:33
Also timed to perfection by Rick Wakeman...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln_4FmNwh5M

The Oberon
25th Feb 2018, 16:43
One of the great things about Dad's Army was the character reversal of the two main parts. You had the suave, laid back, colonial John Le M playing the SNCO and Arthur Lowe's frenetic, nit picky character as the officer.

PDR1
25th Feb 2018, 18:29
As I understand it, when they were auditioned they were actually for those opposite roles, but both asked to try for their prefered roles after reading the scripts. I understand the same happened with Michael Caine and Stanley Baxter when they were sent the Zulu script (ie Caine was originally intended for the lead and baxter for the upper-class dilettante from the family of generals).

PDR

POBJOY
25th Feb 2018, 18:32
I don't vant 'soggy' chips I vant nice crisp ones (all in a 'German' accent)

Brilliant; I could watch it every day, plus Pike 'whistle while you work' !!!

Its all in the BOOK.

treadigraph
25th Feb 2018, 19:18
I understand the same happened with Michael Caine and Stanley Baxter when they were sent the Zulu script (ie Caine was originally intended for the lead and baxter for the upper-class dilettante from the family of generals).

That will come as a great surprise to Stanley Baxter...

PDR1
25th Feb 2018, 21:41
Look this keyboard is FIRED!

(And yes, I am old enough to remember who stanley baxter was, and why confusing the two of them is so ridiculous!)

CVs are invited for the post of Principle Keyboard. Starting salary 20millijoules per second. Interviews by skype on Tuesday. The successful candidate will have a track record in key functions, and must have control but with the ability to shift on demand.

PDR

Warmtoast
25th Feb 2018, 21:50
For timing Gerard Hoffnung is hard to beat. There are two particularly funny recordings of his speech at the Oxford Union in 1958. In particular his "Letter from a Tyrolean Landlady" and the "Bricklayers Lament".

Dear Madam:
I am honourable to accept your impossible request.

Unhappy it is, I here have not bedroom with bath. A bathroom with bed I have. I can, though, give you a washing, with pleasure, in a most clean spring with no one to see. I insist that you will like this...

I am amazing diverted by your entreaty for a room. I can offer you a commodious chamber with balcony imminent to the romantic gorge, and I hope that you want to drop in.

A vivacious stream washes my doorsteps, so do not concern yourself that I am not too good in bath, I am superb in bed.

Sorrowfully I cannot abide your auto... Having freshly taken over the propriety of this notorious house, I am wishful that you remove to me your esteemed costume.

Standing among savage scenery, the hotel offers stupendous revelations. There is a French widow in every bedroom, affording delightful prospects.

I give personal look to the interior wants of each guests. Here, you shall be well fed-up and agreeably drunk. Our charges for weekly visitors are scarcely creditable.

Peculiar arrangements for gross parties, our motto is "ever serve you right!"

Listen here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iHCMwA7n7I

His account of a bricklayer's misfortunes when raising some bricks in a barrel to the top of a building (The Bricklayers Lament) can be heard here:
here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZUJLO6lMhI

ExSp33db1rd
26th Feb 2018, 22:01
Bricklayers Lament ... " Half Way Down" .... !! I recalled that once when I had climbed to the top of a shipyard crane with large plate camera and heavy tripod in my Yoof. As I departed the top with the camera, and taking pity on the four round trip ascents/descents needed to get all my gear up and down, the crane driver offered to lower my tripod down on his "lunch line".

"Halfway Down" I was passed by the tripod ... and the broken end of the line !!

Trossie
26th Feb 2018, 22:14
Just finished watching 'The Big Guns' in the third series of Dad's Army. All of it an absolutely classic of British comedy.

Tankertrashnav
27th Feb 2018, 00:01
Thanks to mods for raising this thread from the dead and moving it to JB, where I wish it a long and happy life. :ok:

clareprop
27th Feb 2018, 07:35
My three 'classics' (not in any particular order) are:

1. 'Don't tell him, Pike....'

2. The 'chandelier' scene from OFAH

3. David Jason and Roger Lloyd-Pack in the 'falling through the bar' scene - OFAH

If an aspiring actor or comedian needed lessons in timing, those three cover everything you'd ever want to know.