PDA

View Full Version : Historic Flight Numbers BOAC

roadrabbit
24th Feb 2018, 18:53
I am trying to find out the flight number of a BOAC flight from Croydon to Durban (routing was, I think, via Malta, Cairo, Khartoum, Nairobi, possibly Blantyre, Salisbury as was, Johannesburg). The year was 1948 and I believe the aircraft to have been an Avro York.

Any help much appreciated - if not the answer, then suggestions on where to look.

canberra97
24th Feb 2018, 18:58
I would suggest that you post this in the Aviation History and Nostalgia forum!

arem
24th Feb 2018, 19:26
Looking at a Oct 1948 timetable, the possible flight numbers are BO 101 LHR-TIP-CAI-KRT-NAI-JNB, the BO151 went to DAR and the BO153 ended in NBO - all using the same routing but with nightstops

roadrabbit
24th Feb 2018, 21:21
Suggested I post here:

I am trying to find out the flight number of a BOAC flight from Croydon to Durban (routing was, I think, via Malta, Cairo, Khartoum, Nairobi, possibly Blantyre, Salisbury as was, Johannesburg). The year was 1948 and I believe the aircraft to have been an Avro York.

The reason: at 18 months old I was a passenger on the flight. Finished up flying for BOAC as a pilot eventually. Retired in 2001.

Any help much appreciated - if not the answer, then suggestions on where to look.

roadrabbit
24th Feb 2018, 21:23
Many thanks - it looks like the BO101 would have been the flight.
When did they change to BA prefixes?

roadrabbit
25th Feb 2018, 08:26
Looking at a Oct 1948 timetable, the possible flight numbers are BO 101 LHR-TIP-CAI-KRT-NAI-JNB, the BO151 went to DAR and the BO153 ended in NBO - all using the same routing but with nightstops

Arem, do you have the timetable yourself, or are you looking at an accessible source? I would very much like to see the whole timetable myself, if possible. Are you able to assist further?

Many thanks

Planemike
25th Feb 2018, 08:31
May have come from here:---- Airline Timetable Images (http://www.timetableimages.com/)

See below::---- SNAP !!!!

toscana24
25th Feb 2018, 08:31
Have a look at Airline Timetable Images - List of Complete Timetables (http://www.timetableimages.com/ttimages/complete/complete.htm#Europe)

The 1947 BOAC timetable maybe contains the info you are seeking.

renfrew
25th Feb 2018, 08:43
I think the BA prefix originally belonged to British South American Airways.
Sometime after the merger BOAC changed to BA.

arem
25th Feb 2018, 08:48
Yes I do have the timetable.

We may know each other as I too joined BOAC in 1967 and also retired in 2001.

Alan Baker
25th Feb 2018, 11:53
I think the BA prefix originally belonged to British South American Airways.
Sometime after the merger BOAC changed to BA.
I presume they changed from BO after those Lifebouy soap adverts kept banging on about telling you friend that they had Body Odour by whispering BO in their ear!