PDA

View Full Version : India's first female fast jet pilot

tartare
23rd Feb 2018, 22:47
Well done young lady.
And that's one hell of a piece of big old heavy iron Soviet jet that she's flying.
Avani Chaturvedi: First Indian woman to fly fighter jet - BBC News (http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-43151117)

Fareastdriver
24th Feb 2018, 09:01
when on 19 Feb 18 she flew a MiG-21 Bison aircraft in her first solo flight

By God! They really throw them in the deep end there, don't they?

Training Risky
24th Feb 2018, 10:15
But if she flies single-seat who will reverse it out of the HAS for her?:}

ExAscoteer
24th Feb 2018, 12:17
Sexism is alive and well I see.

http://emoticons.datahamster.com/rolleyes.gif

cargosales
24th Feb 2018, 12:46
But if she flies single-seat who will reverse it out of the HAS for her?:}

Her driver of course .... :ugh:

spectre150
25th Feb 2018, 07:25
Good old Auntie Beeb. The Bison was a 1950s Soviet bomber (well, Bison was the NATO codename for it, with 'b' for bomber being a bit of a clue as opposed to 'f' for fighter as in "Fishbed").

Edited to add - if Bison is the Indian Air Force name for the MiG-21, I stand corrected :)

ORAC
25th Feb 2018, 07:49
Edited to add - if Bison is the Indian Air Force name for the MiG-21, I stand corrected :)

MiG- 21: Knowing the Indian BISON - Indian Defence Research Wing (http://idrw.org/mig-21-knowing-indian-bison/)

TCAS FAN
25th Feb 2018, 08:10
Good to see that at last the bastions of Indian male chauvinism and discrimination are being slowly broken down. Maybe following the lead of the UAE who have for sometime had at least one F16 qualified mem'?

CoodaShooda
25th Feb 2018, 08:25
The RAAF graduated its first two lady F/A18A drivers last December.

cats_five
25th Feb 2018, 18:09
Good to see that at last the bastions of Indian male chauvinism and discrimination are being slowly broken down. Maybe following the lead of the UAE who have for sometime had at least one F16 qualified mem'?

India in general is very far from breaking down the last bastions. In many parts of Indian society the first bastions are still flourishing. Go Google.

Tech Guy
26th Feb 2018, 11:27
Well done to her.

I always rather liked the '21. One of the better looking Soviet planes of the era.

reynoldsno1
26th Feb 2018, 21:49

From the article:
Neighbouring Pakistan has about 20 female fighter pilots - the Pakistan Air Force (PAF) began inducting women into combat roles in 2006.

megan
27th Feb 2018, 16:45
India in general is very far from breaking down the last bastionsThey seem to have quite a number of female airline pilots, left seat as well.

Fareastdriver
27th Feb 2018, 20:22
The first female Chinese Air Force fighter pilot was killed in a collision with the Chinese aerobatic team.

What a waste of a beautiful woman

josephfeatherweight
28th Feb 2018, 09:16
The RAAF graduated its first two lady F/A18A drivers last December.
Hadn't heard that one... Any links to news articles?
Heard there was one in the pipeline for Super Hornets, but not Classics - would be interested to hear more!

CoodaShooda
28th Feb 2018, 11:25
Australia?s first female fighter pilots graduate | Australian Aviation (http://australianaviation.com.au/2017/12/australias-first-female-fighter-pilots-graduate/)

Our inspirational Defence Minister murmured it on social media back in December. Didn't get much media beyond the Oz and Australian Aviation. Possibly because they haven't released their names for security reasons.

Evanelpus
28th Feb 2018, 14:31
In this equality/gender world, why should this have it's own thread and is anyone really bothered?

pr00ne
28th Feb 2018, 14:40
Evanelpus,

Because they are firsts and they have every right to be proud of their achievements.

And if you'd bothered to read any news media lately you'd see that it is FAR from an equal world!

cats_five
28th Feb 2018, 15:01
The first female Chinese Air Force fighter pilot was killed in a collision with the Chinese aerobatic team.

What a waste of a beautiful woman

Why does it matter she is beautiful? Waste of a human life more like.

pr00ne
28th Feb 2018, 15:05
To see how casual sexism works, replace "waste of a beautiful woman" with "waste of a stunningly attractive man"

Lonewolf_50
28th Feb 2018, 17:47
"waste of a stunningly attractive man" You won't see that posted any time soon since I am still breathing. :}

Hat, coat, door ...

pr00ne
28th Feb 2018, 19:52
Lonewolf 50,

Arf!

Doctor Cruces
28th Feb 2018, 20:07
Good old Auntie Beeb. The Bison was a 1950s Soviet bomber (well, Bison was the NATO codename for it, with 'b' for bomber being a bit of a clue as opposed to 'f' for fighter as in "Fishbed").

I think it's probably Mig 21 BIS which I think (IIRC) Improved or Modified or somesuch thing.

Fareastdriver
28th Feb 2018, 21:05
Arriving in Bombay during exercise Shiksha, tanking Javelins out to India in 1963, we were given a locker room to put our kit in. I looked at the top of my locker and there was a book written in Russian. One of our AEOs was fluent in Russian so I gave it to him. He looked at it, suggested it was paperwork to do with the Mig 21 and put it in his pocket.

Tactfully I 'forgot' all about it.

tartare
1st Mar 2018, 07:47
Australia?s first female fighter pilots graduate | Australian Aviation (http://australianaviation.com.au/2017/12/australias-first-female-fighter-pilots-graduate/)

Our inspirational Defence Minister murmured it on social media back in December. Didn't get much media beyond the Oz and Australian Aviation. Possibly because they haven't released their names for security reasons.

Met a female Hawk driver at Avalon and had a good yarn to her.
She was due to be streamed onto bigger, faster, pointier things.
Nice young gal... impressive.
And to answer another poster 0- why did I start the thread?
Cos I was in India - Pune - a year ago, watching MiGs and Sukhois tooling around - and was speaking to a relative - retired AVM - who said there was a lot of opposition for women wanting to fly fast jets.
So this struck me as a particularly significant achievement.
Even moreso because having sat in a MiG 21 cockpit - that's one very old and cramped office, on top of a big ugly beast that will bite you as soon as look at you...

EDIT - Cooda - that girl on the right - the blonde one - was the one I spoke to at Avalon.
So - Hornets.
Well done.

CoodaShooda
1st Mar 2018, 12:22
Tartare
She was on my son's course and should have graduated in December 2016.
Unfortunately, she got held back by minor medical issue.
An extremely capable young lady.