PDA

View Full Version : Victorville

Planemike
23rd Feb 2018, 21:57
Worth a look..........

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/22-incredible-photos-from-where-jumbo-jets-go-to-die/ss-BBBuqOs?li=AAnZ9Ug&parent-title=british-airways-passengers-forced-to-hold-it-for-hours-on-flight-to-tenerife-after-on-board-toilet-issue&parent-ns=ar&parent-content-id=BBJsXvB&fullscreen=true#image=1

Herod
24th Feb 2018, 18:10
It's enough to make you cry.

rolling20
24th Feb 2018, 18:34
Cant get too sentimental over modern passenger jets myself. What I would cry over were those long lines of WW2 aircraft,that were scrapped and no thought given for the future. Oh to see a Stirling , Halifax, Whirlwind, Tempest or Typhoon in the air again.

broadreach
24th Feb 2018, 20:17
What I found curious was the degree of apparent cannibalisation of some of the BA 747s. One, for example (photo 14/22), was missing four of its starboard doors. Might that have been due to a quick sale to an airline needing quick replacements for an aircraft where the slides had been used? There are others where the spoilers, winglets and other bits and pieces have been removed. I wonder how large an industry recycling is.

Edit: answering my own question, "rather large" might fit. Googled "aircraft recycling" and first up was "Aircraft Fleet Recycling Association, AFRA". Now, when I need a set of DC-3 passenger seats complete with ashtrays, I know where to go....

DANbudgieman
27th Feb 2018, 02:17
Took one look at this and thought, ''wow, I'd love to visit there." Then it dawned on me, I already had, October 1980 when it was known as George AFB with wall to wall F4Gs. Seems it's not only old airliners that are salvaged...

IBMJunkman
27th Feb 2018, 04:56
Victorville, where large aircraft go to die. Among many other things. :)

IBMJunkman
27th Feb 2018, 04:59
It’s not only aircraft. I had a large disk drive (32 lbs) from the 70’s that I am sure was a couple grand when new. Took it to recycling and got $2.50 for it.

TriStar_drvr
27th Feb 2018, 06:21
I live in Victorville and occasionally ride my motorcycle out there to take a look. I’ve seen several aircraft that I have flown, retired there. Only a matter of time before I too am, put out to pasture...

GotTheTshirt
27th Feb 2018, 07:50
I was there when the last Delta L1011 arrived ( full of Delta employees!) Quite a sight !!