PDA

View Full Version : The Weekly AT Delusion Newsletter

Trafalgar
23rd Feb 2018, 15:29
The Weekly AT Delusion, Feb 21.

Another cracking yarn from that master of disaster, AT. It of course starts out with “The Big Lie”. A tried and true technique of propaganda ministers around the world. Tell a big enough lie, rinse and repeat and eventually people believe it’s the truth (or so she hopes). She mentions having such a happy time at Bai Nain, spending time with her beloved FOP members. Apparently, it was such a happy time that she was led to declare “it was wonderful to see employees across FOP in good spirits". Huh? Did I miss something? Which employee was she referring to? FOP personnel in good spirits"? I think she must have been a guest at a different airlines event, perhaps Delta, QF, AZ airlines that are turning in record profits and providing their employees with real careers (heck, their pilots can even afford homes which they can raise a family in, a concept that you and your management don’t seem to comprehend). No doubt their senior FOP personnel ARE happy, as you have managed to turn CX into a cost free training source for them. AT, you are the only one who could possibly make such an absurd comment, and only because you seem to believe your own delusions. For the sake of clarity, it is safe to say that there are NO FOP members in good spirits. Beggars belief.

She then goes on to trumpet that our OTP is between 50-60%, and somehow that is to be considered good :eek:. Most DFO’s in other airlines would be laughed out of their jobs with such an absurd and pathetic acclamation. At CX, the mediocre is now lauded as accomplishment. You can’t make this up.

Then, there is an interesting run of three articles that focus on being unfit, and the relevant reporting procedures. I suspect this highlights the ‘big’ concern: an ever increasing rate of ‘unfit’ for duty calls. A word to the wise AT; the main cause of the ever increasing rate of unfit calls is a general lack of couldn’t give a :mad:, an illness that once acquired usually proves terminal to ones dedication to the job. The cure is to find another employer, something that hundreds upon hundreds of your pilots are in the middle of doing, every hour, every day, and every week. A process that will continue until you have effectively lost the majority of your aircrew.

CP81, the new cadet course (yes, let’s replace thousands of hours of experience with snowflakes, who might just be able to recognize a twin-engine Cessna during daylight. Great strategy to build a safe and efficient airline, not).

The 3-Bar announcement. Soon to be followed by their resignation announcements. Inevitably gone to our competitors around the world that will provide them and their families with a proper career.

The Farewell announcement. Strange, it didn’t seem to include the names of the 60+ pilots who have resigned over the past few weeks. Curious.

Company Performance. Well, according to you, things are doing well. We can all now obviously forget about any concessions, as the company's story has more than a few holes in it. Even more so as you effectively confirmed things are fine by agreeing to a full 13th month for all staff (other than your beloved pilots of course), and even a PAY RAISE for the cabin crew. No airline raises pay if the airline is in genuine trouble. The pilots of your airline well understand the truth, and it isn’t anything you are telling us. Hence, most of us are leaving, soon. You have no credibility, nor do any of the other leadership. Pilots no longer have to stay and suffer the contempt and disdain that you seem intent on showing them.

Kung Hei Fat Choi, from the “Leadership Team”. Hilarious photo featuring RH. I am assuming those happy pilots in the photo opened those red envelopes in hopes of finding their missing (stolen...did they check RH's pockets?) 13th month? :rolleyes: “Leadership”? Nothing of that sort exists in this airline, starting with you AT. "Leaders" are called such because they have earned the title, and accompanying respect. Neither of which apply to you, or any other Swire manager for that matter. (and I’m surprised those pilots didn’t immediately call in unfit from the severe nausea they must have been feeling at that point).

AT, nothing you now do can or will accomplish anything positive, particularly for management or the airline. You have squandered your opportunity (and you as well RH). Not only that, but your actions and focus on harming the pilot group have now led to the situation where the vast majority of the pilot body is making dedicated plans to leave CX. There isn’t a flight I do without one or more of the other crew telling me that they have applied, just interviewed or are awaiting a course date with one of the airlines competitors. You and your ilk have managed to corrode the very foundations of this airline. You have convinced 2000+ pilots that their best interests lie elsewhere. That process is now unstoppable. When 10+ year FO’s leave rather than take a command course, you can be sure that you have failed. And there is no doubt, you HAVE failed.

cxorcist
23rd Feb 2018, 16:26
Traf,

My thoughts exactly neatly summarized into a useful commentary. Thank you for your tireless efforts to put laser focus on the reality at CX.

Trafalgar
23rd Feb 2018, 17:07
My two FO's to London this week. Both leaving in the coming months. Good luck to them both.

Air Profit
23rd Feb 2018, 19:01
Two flights, two FO's this past week. Both on their way to QF. One told me he has three friends also on their way. This snowball is rolling downhill and gathering steam, quickly. Word on the street that almost every FO (in respect of the antipodeans) ,and not a few Captains either, under the age of 45 have applied to QF or other airlines in the region. The scramble for early seniority slots has begun in earnest. :ooh:

cxorcist
23rd Feb 2018, 20:01
The only question remaining is when do they hit the panic button? What happens once they do? I’m guessing the management all run for the door while the remaining employees are stuck holding the bag with nowhere to sit once the music stops.

Air Profit
23rd Feb 2018, 23:56
I have heard that the panic button is being tossed back and forth between AT and RH. Neither have a clue as to the fatal damage their attitude of greed and ill-considered actions have done to the airline. You can have all the "shiny jets" you like, but without pilots to fly them, they are expensive paperweights. While AT sits in her office and imagines pay cuts and benefit cuts, her pilots are deciding they will seek a happier and more stable career elsewhere. Not a single pilot in this company has a shred of respect for her, or cares what she thinks.

hyg
24th Feb 2018, 00:56
Traf,

I agree with every point you have against the company, but what did those cadets do to you? If you look carefully, those aren't the expats that the company screw over, most of them I believe ( I say most of them just in case a few are here for the wrong reason) are just keen young aviators you once were... just because they were born in a small city without GA or an airforce, doesn't make them inferior to you or your people and don't deserve the chance to have a go at this profession.

Cadets are not unique to Cathay, lots of European airlines have them. Just because they didn't fly GA or airforce, it doesn't mean they can't be good pilots with good training... by all means feel free to have a go at the company for low morale, reducing conditions or lack of new quality trainers etc, but there is no reason to have a go at the locals. just a small reminder that you are in their hometown, having a go at the locals isn't going to strength your cause

Air Profit
24th Feb 2018, 01:31
Hyg, you show YOUR prejudice. Traf didn't mention "locals", you did. He was simply pointing out that the airline can't function with people who have no experience or judgement (which is based on experience). Even the US industry has insisted on a 1500 hr minimum. Even more of a problem when the company is chasing away their experienced pilots, which the reputation and safety of the airline depends. I won't bother to try and explain the difference between the CX operation and European airlines, or the fact that just because the European airlines uses cadets doesn't necessarily make it a good idea. Suffice to say, CX is in deep trouble, and cadets won't fix what's wrong at the airline.

cxorcist
24th Feb 2018, 02:03
How is a premium (high fare paying) passenger to feel when he sees one adult (experienced looking) captain and three wet behind the ears, pimple poppers in the flight crew? You think those passengers don’t know the captain will take rest at some point? Give me a break. CX ought to be hiding it’s flight crews from their passengers’ view.

hyg
24th Feb 2018, 02:36
you serious? you have to actually mention the word to show prejudice? the photo on that stupid update shows all local and it's about the graduation of a handful of them. Which part of my comment shows any idea that cadets will solve cathay's problem? and which part of my comment says the company should only hire locals? All I am saying is don't blame the local for having a dream and a job in their hometown, not hiring the experience an airline requires is the airlines' problem

and also care to explain how are locals gonna get 1500 hours of flying in a city where you can drive from one end to the other in an hour? with your comment, are you implying that local should not have a chance or even a right to become a pilot? Just because you are lucky enough to be born and raised in a big enough country so you can fly GA or join an air force, doesn't mean everyone on this planet has that luxury.

Flex88
24th Feb 2018, 03:07
Right on the nail Curtain.. And the only reason, MONEY. Greedy Money. The elites that have taken over this airline have ZERO respect for experience, they have only respect money.
The company operates on this premise; see that ex army guy who came from the boat company, lets make him a Top Leader and and put him in a position where he has ZERO experience and now oversees 15 or 20 THOUSAND people.
So sad that this same greed for money and power has corrupted many of our own (think past DFO's and GMF's) that simply bent over and have taken it only for their own greedy and self serving benefit.
Also so sad that these types still populate the 3rd floor and some (FTC) even come back for an additional dip in the well.
The grim reaper has entered the building.

Flex88
24th Feb 2018, 03:16
They don't get it yet but they will.
Others with similar qualifications all over the world would some day expect to own a home. Not in Hong Kong,you're stuck..
Will never be able to afford hardly a modest size high rise apartment let alone an actual house - this and you don't even qualify for government subsidised public housing.

Dragon69
24th Feb 2018, 03:34
One would have a difficult time disagreeing with you if statistics showed a trend that supported your argument, but the reality speaks for itself. The fact is these airplanes are so advanced that experience in the flight deck is fast becoming irrelevant, the industry knows this. It is a bitter pill to swallow but there's nothing stopping the current momentum.

enoughisenough_
24th Feb 2018, 04:06
Dragon69

Agreed. Let's face it, flying a widebody jet is no harder than a single aisle jet. Actually the hardest flying you will do is probably in a turboprop or piston twin flying in the muck of the weather doing non-precision VOR/NDB approaches in icing conditions.
Flying a widebody jet where you are above the weather for the majority of the flight and to an ILS or RNAV approach is easy in comparison. If a cadet pilot can fly a 320 or turboprop Europe then they can manage just fine with a highly automated 777/A350/747. Anyone that tells you otherwise has an over inflated ego.

BlunderBus
24th Feb 2018, 04:20
Look on the bright side..
After 30 years loyal service you are amply rewarded with a SUBLOAD Economy class Ticket back to your home...
"thanks now piss off"!

GKOC41
24th Feb 2018, 04:24
Trafalgar

Why not make it 61 resignations?

If it's that bad.

VR-HFX
24th Feb 2018, 04:53
GKOC41

The 61 bus left last week. Traf will be lucky to get a 2018 boarding pass with a check-out number under 100, even if he leaves by end-March.

White None
24th Feb 2018, 04:53
Flying a widebody jet where you are above the weather for the majority of the flight and to an ILS or RNAV approach is easy in comparison. If a cadet pilot can fly a 320 or turboprop Europe then they can manage just fine with a highly automated 777/A350/747. Anyone that tells you otherwise has an over inflated ego.

That's if you assume everything goes absolutely fine from start to finish, which Yes, it sometimes does. Often however there are issues, it gets trickier, but that is still not we are really paid for, and not where the lack of experience bites. Howzabout the occasional trip requiring some prompt, possibly ballsy, outside the box decision making, possibly about something never experienced, never taught in the Vol8, or a genuine Tech Emergency with handling limits outside the crosswind or Dest and Alt below limits, or a Medical drama overhead Lakselv Or........

Those are the days we are paid for IMO, and absolutely have to rise to the challenge to get through, not look like a Deer in the headlights, an all too common expression these days. (Now where's my foot pump)

Cpt. Underpants
24th Feb 2018, 06:33
https://www.aerotime.aero/en/civil/20906-saratov-airlines-crash-no-lessons-learned-from-air-france-447?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=pilots_not_ready_to_take_over_when_the_autopilo t_shuts_down_aerotime_weekend_special&utm_term=2018-02-24

Simply put, (some) pilots can't fly anymore.

Power + attitude = performance... Remember?

Avinthenews
24th Feb 2018, 06:38
Oh brother....do you really think someone has to explain the WHOLE PICTURE to you all over AGAIN?

Name 1 airline that takes zero hour cadets, makes them supervised cruise-only pilots for 3-5 years, and then puts them into the right seat of a wide-body international operation with 150-200 hours of light piston prop (zero-challenge, zero-learning, zero-experience) under their belts long forgotten from 3-5 years ago, then only to hand fly the first and last 1-2 minutes of their 10-15 hour flights just 1-2 sectors per month for 11 years...and then makes them wide-body worldwide captains with approx 150 straight-in, flight director-guided landings under their belts?

Qantas have been doing it for decades I believe.

Air Profit
24th Feb 2018, 07:02
I see all the wannabes and management sycophants have their knickers in a twist. Apparently it's so easy to fly, even our current DFO could do the job. At the current rate of resignations, she'll probably be getting a call from CC soon to do the TPE split duty. :hmm:

FUANNA
24th Feb 2018, 10:09
On a larger scale, those clowns are not only fixing ticket prices, routes, capacities and their own remuneration on ICAO/IATA meetings and elsewhere, but also our employment conditions and pay.

Hence the continous downward spiral, as we’ve seen it.

With China now coming into play, their scheme crumbles, since any form of demand here leads to a shortage anywhere else.

With regard to this circus here, I can see a lot of so-called ‘leaders’, with an ever decreasing number of followers.

The most loyal people, have become their strongest and most outspoken opponents.

The revolving door OUT of kitty city spins faster and faster...

RAT Management
24th Feb 2018, 16:46
With CMP coming on board soon to CX, that revolving door will only spin faster especially if the facts about bases and min rest of 13hours in Hong Kong ever gets out. Just talk to any Dragon crew.... The truth is out there.... Do your research and don't believe the manipulated data being rammed down your throat!

cxorcist
24th Feb 2018, 18:10
I’d appreciate you sharing if you know something. The whole CMP debacle is a bunch of smoke and mirrors right now. Happy to do my own “research”, just point me in the right direction...

ANTIPHOLUS
24th Feb 2018, 18:43
CMP is already at CX ferchrissakes; and the freighter roster ( which was :mad: in the first place) just got worse. Try HKG MAA CMB. All WOCL. Bit of a break in CMB. Then CMB HKG px SIN. 16 hr day. Then SIN PEN PNH HKG in one day. There are many more gems out there. HAN HKG wait 6 hrs in HK ( no hotel as less than 6 hours achievable in the hotel) Px PVG ( 1 hr ride to crew hotel) min rest PVG operate back.
Park the jet fellas. Just park the jet

RAT Management
25th Feb 2018, 01:49
Just talk, look at, those that are already getting subjected to CMP. Namely Dragon and freighter guys. Both are unanimous the rosters have gone from bad to worse..... That was with the propaganda stating these two areas were prioritised due to crew issues with rosters. It was supposed to give benefit to crew while providing productivity gains and increased efficiency to the companies.... But only the later is what has occurred. Senior KA guys are treating their salaries as a job search allowance! It's only a matter of time before we all are doing the same. Ask your self one question. When has any of the promises been kept by these outfits?

RAT Management
25th Feb 2018, 01:51
Like seniority qualification on a50.! .... Need I list them all

Farman Biplane
25th Feb 2018, 05:26
I am sure the increased crew satisfaction switch will be offered to be placed in the ON position during the next round of concessionary negotiations.
Once more crew will be forced to purchase something that will benefit the company, through increased satisfaction and reduced sickness, when it should have been freely introduced at no cost.
They are already creating leverage on their side of the negotiating table simply by using the pairings optimisation function without the rostering and request functionality.

BlunderBus
25th Feb 2018, 06:25
With decades of history to reflect upon did ANY of you really think computer rostering, with the ‘crew input’ bit not even purchased, was ever going to improve rosters for the pilots?? How so? As we speak they can’t crew regionals from hk because the crew numbers are woefully below what they need.. but it’s ‘ manageable’! 4 copilot changes in a single flight .. rest reduced and the light in the phone has been blinking all day... nobody is picking up and they better come up with something ****hot because the wheels are off!

TurningFinalRWY36
25th Feb 2018, 06:48
flight are departing with 2 captains, some long hauls don't even have an SO on them anymore, they are plugging holes left right and centre

Will IB Fayed
25th Feb 2018, 06:48
With decades of history to reflect upon did ANY of you really think computer rostering, with the ‘crew input’ bit not even purchased, was ever going to improve rosters for the pilots??

Apparently the HKAOA did. It was they who pushed CX to a PBS. And how naive they were to think management wouldn't **** with the system.
Just remember that when your rosters get worse.... YOU WANTED IT.

betpump5
25th Feb 2018, 07:08
Apparently the HKAOA did. It was they who pushed CX to a PBS

Of course they did. Feathering their own nest comes to mind.

BlunderBus
25th Feb 2018, 10:15
Fayed I believe what we as crew desired all along was a system in line with ‘real’ Airlines around the world.. an equitable, seniority linked system allowing all the benefits of selecting and adjusting pilots rosters. Nobody signed up for the bastardized piece meal piece of crap they’re churning out now that perpetuates the misery and abuse of the past ‘system’... of course there was the faintest glimmer of hope but the company pissed all over that parade!!
The pilots or union did NOT want what the company proposes or where they’re going with it. You can sit through the ‘spin’ of a fleet forum but in keeping with their appalling history of outright lying ..make up your own mind of who did what!

BlunderBus
25th Feb 2018, 10:21
As an aside anyone watching the sackings and decay going on in ever accelerating fashion must surely take a hard look at where the parent company is going with this. Asset stripping at its best and not doing anything to address the huge issues with staff and conditions must surely scream ‘ exit strategy’. You would be an absolute mindless fool if you didn’t see where this is going. Why on earth gamble with your career and continue providing loyalty to a group about to take a massive dump on you all?

BlunderBus
25th Feb 2018, 10:22
And I say ‘YOu’ because I’m gone .

cxorcist
25th Feb 2018, 15:28
PBS? Like a real airline? You guys are funny.

Real airlines bid hard lines in strict seniority order. They also offer fleet transfers, right to left, and left to right.

Flex88
26th Feb 2018, 00:31
With decades of history to reflect upon did ANY of you really think computer rostering, with the ‘crew input’ bit not even purchased, was ever going to improve rosters for the pilots?? How so?? As we speak they can’t crew regionals from hk because the crew numbers are woefully below what they need.. but it’s ‘ manageable’!!! 4 copilot changes in a single flight .. rest reduced and the light in the phone has been blinking all day... nobody is picking up and they better come up with something ****hot because the wheels are off!!

BB is EXACTLY right on the spot.
After years of BS, blowing cash, hundreds of AOA n Leadership meetings/forums/work groups bla bla bla, without the full bid package - nothing will change EXCEPT, they will be able to fire a ton of clerks in the rostering section on the 3rd floor.
Another Money blowing scam same as the GMO's "original" EFB debacle , the carcass of which still sits on the desk on first floor file room in the FTC still being charged, this as a monument to the last 2 GMO's.. RIP:ugh:

AQIS Boigu
28th Feb 2018, 15:13
Can’t wait for Trafalgar’s rebuttal on today’s update.

Especially re the Ferret’s basings story, leave slots and the summary of the last 3 years of improvements.

I was suprised that the Illy coffee hadn’t been mentioned.